Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E51, to buy or not?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

vodafone.

bah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Spend €3500 and get €200 off your phone? That's really generous :-)

samih wrote: »
    Spend €3500 and get €200 off your phone? That's really generous :-)

you could buy a new unlocked e51 for that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Fantastic phone, I gambled on it when it was first released and it's a great buy.

I've travelled the world with it over the past six months, using Fring to keep in touch via IM and Skype. Never experienced an issue with lagging, the Wi-Fi is excellent. It also works as per Wi-Fi over the o2 3G network here. I've called the US and Australia on Fring via the 3G network, both to Skype accounts, landlines and mobiles and it's been perfect.

All in all a great phone, the camera is irrelevant to me as I am a bit too much into my photos to use a camera phone to take snaps. I've Google Maps installed on it, also Gmail client, and my alternative email account thru the Nokia email client. There also a host of free software available for the s60 platform. Haven't wanted for anything with the phone, and the candybar design is an added bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Can I add that the e51 is probably one of the best phones for fast texting out there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

astrofool wrote: »
    I was about to order, and found out that O2 have changed their upgrade policy and taken away my silver upgrade.

They now have one upgrade band and one criteria: Spend €3500 with them.

I'll likely be moving to Vodafone in the next few weeks.

say WHAT?????
    Explain, please! Spend 3500.00 HOW???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

strecker wrote: »
    say WHAT?????
    Explain, please! Spend 3500.00 HOW???

Well it's feasible to spend that much seeing how expensive they are on many price plans..

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

it's probably a mistype for 350

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

No it's not, the upgrade policy has worsened significantly but o2 are unwilling to say what it actually is and according to the o2 forum the information someone got here from customer care was incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

E51 + Flat 3G plan (O2 7.50E per month for 250Mb) + WiFi LAN + OperaMini + AFT (Almost Free Text; or Cabbage) + Fring (+SkypeOut) = ;]

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

jkforde wrote: »
    E51 + Flat 3G plan (O2 7.50E per month for 250Mb) + WiFi LAN + OperaMini + AFT (Almost Free Text; or Cabbage) + Fring (+SkypeOut) = ;]

Is that meant to be some sort of plan suggestion? I'm not following you, flat 3G plan vs 02?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

BostonB wrote: »
    Is that meant to be some sort of plan suggestion? I'm not following you, flat 3G plan vs 02?
    He is saying how he is happy with his current set up using the 3G add-on from O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ah makes sense now. LOL. Thks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No it's not, the upgrade policy has worsened significantly but o2 are unwilling to say what it actually is and according to the o2 forum the information someone got here from customer care was incorrect.

Which O2 forum? And any indication as to what their policy is?

Someone in management in O2 is a gigantic moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Bought this phone just a little while ago after reading everyone's views on here and I'm very happy! Thanks again boards!:)
    jkforde wrote: »
    . . . + AFT (Almost Free Text; or Cabbage) + Fring (+SkypeOut) = ;]

Jk - I searched for AFT but couldn't find anything - could you post a link? Also "Cabbage" ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭tech

going to get myself one of these, Whats the advantage of buying this on Expansys over O2?

Is the O2 branded phone packed with different software?

tech wrote: »
    going to get myself one of these, Whats the advantage of buying this on Expansys over O2?

Is the O2 branded phone packed with different software?

i think so. they're also locked and i dunno how easy they are to unlock

I not pushed as Im with O2 anyway but software is the big concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

tech wrote: »
    I not pushed as Im with O2 anyway but software is the big concern.

AFAIK it's the same, except for the o2 bubbles welcome screen. They gave me the unlock code about a month after I got it over the phone no problem, although I'm a post-pay contract customer.

The apps I've added on are:

Cabbage
    Calcium (calculator)
    Nokia Email
    Frozen Bubble (game)
    Fring
    Gmail
    Google maps
    Google search
    Joiku Spot
    Mobile weather
    Opera Mini (although the preinstalled Nokia browser is fine)
    Oxford Dictionary (crossword head)
    Nokia Podcasting
    Sensible Sudoku
    Stopwatch plus (it doesn't come with a stopwatch/timer funtion)
    WiPresenter
    WorldMate

Is also comes with Real Player, Flash, Adobe PDF reader, and Quick Office pre installed along with the usual s60 stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

One thing that annoys me is that you cannot check when texts were sent to you. When you check message details, it only tells you when you got them. If you've had your phone off for a while, that can be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

One thing that annoys me is that you cannot check when texts were sent to you. When you check message details, it only tells you when you got them. If you've had your phone off for a while, that can be a problem.
    Fixed in v200.34.36 firmware afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

flodis79 wrote: »
    Can I add that the e51 is probably one of the best phones for fast texting out there..

What makes you say that? Drugs?

FX Meister wrote: »
    What makes you say that? Drugs?
    Stable OS and decent buttons.

Expansys it is so then :) I think.

Advertisement