Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice hotel or B&B near Dungarvan?

Options
  • 07-09-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have to head down to Waterford in October for a Rally Experience thing (yay!) but am having difficulty finding a nice hotel or B&B for the weekend. Anything I've seen has had rubbish reviews!

Anyone got some 'inside info' on a nice hotel or B&B near the sea within about 15 mins of Dungarvan?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Best bet is to have a look for B&Bs via the Town & Country Homes website http://www.townandcountry.ie/. Some B&Bs might also be registered with the AA and are graded in terms of Diamonds.

Hotels wise, I dont know any near (bar Waterford or Tramore which would be to far away) Dungarvan im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

the park in dungarvan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Thanks guys, I had a look at the Park, but it was slated on TripAdvisor! Will try that other site, thanks Sully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Glowing... if you are prepared to push the boat out look up Richmond House in Cappoquin. The food is sensational!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Clonea Strand Hotel, Gold Coast Golf & Leisure Hotel. both on the coast between 5 and 10 minutes from Dungarvan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Glowing wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I had a look at the Park, but it was slated on TripAdvisor! Will try that other site, thanks Sully!

don't think the park is that bad to be honest - what exactly are you after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

Evening,

Haven't stayed there myself but have heard good things about Cairbre House B&B (it's the old house you can see directly across the water from The Park Hotel)

Every evening when I drive home I pass by it from the ring road and it always looks lovely - especially late at night when the lights from the conservatory reflect on the water.

looks nice on the web site - I'm working in Dungarvan and was thinking of booking in there the next time I have a work do (made the mistake of staying in Lawlors the last time. never again!)

www.cairbrehouse.com

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else stayed here and what they thought?

Hope this helps,

xxx Kate

thanks everyone for your help!

Dreamer, I booked Richmond House for 2 nights with dinner!! :D It looks like a perfect idyllic escape, and somewhere to relax after driving hairpins all morning :)

I love good food so it's the perfect spot, thanks again!

Dreamer, I booked Richmond House for 2 nights with dinner!! :D It looks like a perfect idyllic escape, and somewhere to relax after driving hairpins all morning :)

I hope you have a wonderful time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 big mug of T

OP - let us know what you think of Richmond House would be interested to hear.

Kitten - yeah have often wondered what that cairbre house is like, looks fab when you drive past - always thought it would make a really nice location for a restaurant.
    let me know what you think after you stay over there.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 surfin

Powersfield House Dungarvan always has fab reviews lovely place wonderful food. 5 mins outside Dungarvan. http://www.powersfield.com/

or
    The Tannery Town House - rooms in Dungarvan on the quays. http://www.tannery.ie/t_house.html

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

If you're going to head as far out as Cappoquin, I could also recommend Glasha Farmhouse near Ballymacarbry, www.glashafarmhouse.com.

How did you get on?

How did you get on?

Dunno yet! I'm going this weekend! I'll let you know!! :D:pac:

Well... after getting a recommendation for Richmond House (thanks by the way Dreamer :D), we spent the weekend there, Friday and Saturday night, and it was really fabulous.

The house is lovely, delicately decorated, nothing too pretentious, just traditional and comfortable. Our room on the top floor was massive with 2 windows looking out over the lawns.

The food was the highlight however. After a long drive on Friday, we were tired and didn't want to go out again, and even though our included dinner wasn't until the Saturday, the staff suggested we have a light dinner in the restaurant. Well, restaurant is not really the word, it more along the lines of a small dining room with 6 or 7 tables. The decor was gorgeous, and there were lovely touches such as solid silver tea pots and cutlery, and fresh flowers.

We were brought into the lounge across the hall and sat by the fire, where you read the menu, order, and can have a drink. Then when the food is ready, you are brought into the dining room.

The food was exquisite - nothing too 'up it own arse' , just simple, imaginative food, made with all local ingredients. The deserts were also out of this world, I think I had the nicest Meringue I've ever had! Both dinners were really enjoyable, and well worth the money. If you were paying for the meal, I think the 5 courses come to 58 euro. Breakfast was also a feast with Clonakilty pudding and homemade sausages - if you still had room for it!! :D The staff were really great too, very friendly and they couldn't do more for you. They even gave us breakfast 30 mins earlier than normal because we had to be up and out early on Saturday.

Anyway, my reason for going to Waterford was to go rally driving with www.rallyconnection.com - it was a FANTASTIC day out. I got to drive a Subaru Impreza and learnt to drift around hairpins ... what more could a girl want :P I'd highly recommend them if you wanted to do something different for a weekend, or alaternatively, it'd make a great present.

All in all, a great weekend!

Thanks for letting us know Glowing... am delighted you had such a good time *s

Advertisement