Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rig, should I get it in NYC?

Options
  • 07-09-2008 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Since my mobo has now died, and I was looking to buy a new machine in the next while, I thought now was as good as ever.

I threw a few things together in komplett, saw it cost me €926, so went to hardwareversand.de and got the same for €822
    hwv822lo2.th.jpg

*Now, I'll be going over to the New York soon, and am wondering if I'd get stuff over there cheaper, and if so, how much hassle is it in bringing the stuff back? Or should I stick with HWV? *Gonna get it in HMV most likely.

Also, this is not a definite item list. May change some stuff.

*=edit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Normally bringing stuff back is fine but a rake of computer equipment is going to raise some flags in customs, or even in the states (depending on how paranoid those guys are in the airport). You're going to find it hard to prove you already owned that graphics card and brought it with you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why are you going AMD? Intel are undisputed leaders right now....

Also, you could get 4870 Crossfire for about 30-40 euro more, and it'd easily beat the 280 - a single 4870 at up to 160 euro cheaper then the GTX you've picked is within 5-10% of the GTX in most games, so even as a single card solution it's well worth considering, Nvidia aren't doing so well right now.

I remember seeing that machine in your sig about 3 years ago and thinking wow, I'd give my right arm to have that....fair play to you for lasting this long with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, you could get 4870 Crossfire for about 30-40 euro more, and it'd easily beat the 280 - a single 4870 at up to 160 euro cheaper then the GTX you've picked is within 5-10% of the GTX in most games, so even as a single card solution it's well worth considering, Nvidia aren't doing so well right now.
    Dang. 4870 doesn't seem to be on tomshardware vga chart :( Looking at the 280, as it seems to give the best bang per buck.

As for AMD, meh. Have one now, but people say that Intel are good, so dunno. Going quad-core, and as high cache as possible. Seen some quads with a cache of 12MB. Would like that :D

=-=

As for the system being a tad bit old, meh. It played Crysis nicely, so meh. Need one that will play the generation 2 years down the line. There's no such thing as "future proof", but prefer to shell out that extra 50 now, than having shell out to get a new card 6 months down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

I wouldnt buy in the states, for the sake of something being DOA, it might be a pain in the arse.

Advertisement