Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone, Data, and Samsung Blackjack Oh my!

Options
  • 07-09-2008 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am on holiday in Ireland from the US. From advice from the Board I got my Samsung Blackjack (i607) Windows Mobile 6 unlocked and picked up a Vodafone Live Pre Pay service. I would like to use it to connect to the internet. I can get it connect/check/send email via SMTP/POP, but the "web" (read:HTTP?) is not working. I can not connect to live.vodafone.com or anything else from the phone (PIE) or to anysite using a laptop tethering. It seems to be a proxy issue.

Is there any hope, or should I try another provider. The lack of internet makes me feel scared and alone.

I have tried calling Vodafone (twice) to get the settings but since they don't sell the Blackjack they don't seem to give me the settings to try.

I have checked the sticky and those settings don't seem to quite work. Here is what I have done/have:

Start > Settings > Connections> GPRS
    Name: Vf Life!
    Connects to: The Internet
    Access point: live.vodafone.com
    username: dublin
    password: dublin
    Authentication Type: None
    Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    IP Address: (blank)

Start > Settings > Connections> Proxy
    Name: Vf WAP
    Connects From: The Internet
    Connects To: WAP Network
    Proxy (name:port): 10.24.59.100:80
    Type: HTTP
    username: dublin
    password: dublin
    Authentication Type: None

I have tried so many different combinations for the settings its unreal. I have probably spent 4 hours each day since I have been here trying to get it to work.

Sorry for the long message. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thetar

did you ever solve the problem of blackjack in Ireland. I am in the same situation and would love to get my phone up and running.

Can you help?

thetar

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thecoolcat

No I haven't. I went into a mobile phone repair center and they told me that I couldn't do it. Something about the phone not being released for the Irish market. I don't know if I agree with that, but I could see the ROM not supporting some Irish-ness that is needed. There is a hacked Windows Mobile 6.1 for the Blackjack URL="http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/03/26/windows-mobile-6-1-for-blackjack-ii-getting-hacked-to-perfection/"]Engadget[/URL. I may try that, but it will probably be later.

Sorry. If I find anything out I will post an update.

-thecoolcat 'circa '92 internet, all email no web':mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thetar

I found a solution today

I found these settings by asking the http://mobile.txcaesar.net/mobile/ forum. They have some interesting cooked Roms to load.

Try this, then wait at least 20mins. Then try the internet. Don't remove your existing gprs settings just add another new setting:

Start > Settings > Connections > GPRS > Menu > Add

Name = vodafone wap
    Connects to = Secure WAP Network
    Access Point = wap.vodafone.ie
    Username = dublin
    Password = dublin
    Primary DNS = 0.0.0.0
    Secondary DNS = 0.0.0.0
    IP Address = 10.24.59.100:9201

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Irn

I had the same issue, Blackjack 1 never upgraded WM 5.0 I use as a roaming phone only. At first the guys in the Meteor shop were baffled, they claimed not to support the device, we used the settings from powermyphone.com still no luck. Within 10 minutes of insertion of the sim I got SMS that I opened and internet worked, was able to retrieve my mail via IMAP/POP but could not yet get ActiveSync to function. The .99 rate per day for broadband is a deal for my needs, but their network is slow. Hope this helps. Sim issues are never as easy as they should be on "unsupported devices".

Advertisement