Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Dublin 15

Options
  • 07-09-2008 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi i was hoping someone could help me.

Myself and my partner (24) and (26) are hoping to buy a house in the next couple of months. I was looking at perhaps buying in the Clonsilla area. I know it well from shopping in Blanch centre but i dont know what the area would be like to live in. Ive looked on Daft and there are some really nice houses around the Whitechapel, Castaheany area and. There are 3 houses for sale in Allendale Terrace which i find strange. Can anyone explain why 3 houses in one street are for sale because they seem to good to be true and describe what the area is like to live in?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

I wouldn't think theres any specific reason why three people are selling on the same street, other than coincidence,

Clonsilla is actually a nice place to live, I moved out there in March from Glasnevin and thought I'd never get used to it but everything is close by and the city centre is accessable through clonsilla train station which is about 20 minutes slow walk from Allendale.

I havent seen to many dodgy things going on either, like drive-by's or gun running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

We have been in D15 for almost 16 years now. We have seen some amount of changes !!

The area is quite well served with schools, shops (as you know!), buses, churches and a hospital. So all in all I would have to say its a good area to live in.

I dont know of any reason why 3 houses on the same road in question are for sale, but its something that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheHoss

Give Whitechapel a miss. It can get hairy at times! Check out Lohunda, Charnwood, Limelawn and Mount Symon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nerak1984

Thanks!

We took a spin up there last night and it does seem like a nice area but we counted 29 houses in the Allendale area for sale. On one row there we 3 houses next door to each other, with another 2 across the road. Now, the only thing i can think why there are so many, is the fact that every house had approx 3 cars outside it and there is only one exit onto the main road which make me think of traffic in the morning. Everyone will be leaving roughly around the same time it could be crazy. Im so confused about what to do. We could just get a nice apartment in town but my heart is set on a house. Another thing about Allendale is, if you run out of milk there isnt a shop nearby that you could just walk to.

If anyone can shed anymore light on my situation id be very grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They could have been bought of the plans by a person or a group of people and let out and now they are wishing to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

nerak1984 wrote: »
    Thanks!

We took a spin up there last night and it does seem like a nice area but we counted 29 houses in the Allendale area for sale. On one row there we 3 houses next door to each other, with another 2 across the road. Now, the only thing i can think why there are so many, is the fact that every house had approx 3 cars outside it and there is only one exit onto the main road which make me think of traffic in the morning. Everyone will be leaving roughly around the same time it could be crazy. Im so confused about what to do. We could just get a nice apartment in town but my heart is set on a house. Another thing about Allendale is, if you run out of milk there isnt a shop nearby that you could just walk to.

If anyone can shed anymore light on my situation id be very grateful.

I live in Allendale. There are a few houses for sale at the moment, but I believe this is mainly because the estate is only around for 5 years and maybe people are beginning to sell on and move up the property ladder. There is no issue getting out of the estate in the morning. I can honestly say that the most amount of cars ahead of me ever has been two. The main road outside it is never too busy so you'll get out quickly enough. I have often walked to Dunnes in Ongar to pick up a pint of milk, it's about a ten/fifteen minute walk depending on your pace. It's a nice quiet area.

why buy in a falling market?

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/search/brochure/7-deerhaven-view-clonee-dublin-co&-city/APIEM348036

You would have paid 330k for this house, 8 months ago and 375k, 18 months ago, now they are asking less than 300k for a 3 bed in Clonee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

why buy in a falling market?

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/search/brochure/7-deerhaven-view-clonee-dublin-co&-city/APIEM348036

You would have paid 330k for this house, 8 months ago and 375k, 18 months ago, now they are asking less than 300k for a 3 bed in Clonee.

Why not? Unless you're planning to sell fairly soon, the market value hardly matters does it?
    Mostly houses are bought as somewhere to live in rather than as an investment I would have thought. I cant see the point of letting the market decide when you should buy, if you want to buy a house and (importantly) you can afford it, then just buy it. You can be guaranted that at some point in your life, the value of your house will go up, and at some other point it will go down. Neither will be of great interest to you unless you want to sell it on.

because over the life of the mortgage they will save themselves a huge pile of cash?

or maybe they will want to trade up in a few years?, maybe they will change jobs and need to move, maybe they will get fed up with the terrible traffic on the N3, maybe the 39 bus will drive them demented, maybe the schools situation will just be to much, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

deswalsh wrote: »
    Why not? Unless you're planning to sell fairly soon,

You shd never pay more than you have too..the house market is dropping and will continue to do so for the next 18th months...rent out in D15 if that is where you want to live, get an idea of the place....then buy when the price is right...remember very € you borrow is €2 you pay back...

• Advertisement
Advertisement