Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raw and Single Handed

• 07-09-2008 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Raw is an adaption of an Channel Five series called Kitchen starring Eddie Izzard.

Single Handed was originally intended for Wales and for a British audiences.

Should RTÉ be re-producing british or any other foreign drama's? They did produce The Chosen from a Danish TV company. Where are all the Irish Scriptwritters? (By Irish I mean people living in Ireland, original drama's from Ireland about Ireland).

I am a bit dissappointed that Raw is an adaptation. Did anyone see Kitchen? Why not just by Kitchen from Five rather then re-scripting it? Come up with something original.

At leasts the Sunday Times suggest it is an adaptation of the Five show. It think they could be wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Elmo wrote: »
    Raw is an adaption of an Channel Five series called Kitchen starring Eddie Izzard.

Single Handed was originally intended for Wales and for a British audiences.

Should RTÉ be re-producing british or any other foreign drama's? They did produce The Chosen from a Danish TV company. Where are all the Irish Scriptwritters? (By Irish I mean people living in Ireland, original drama's from Ireland about Ireland).

I am a bit dissappointed that Raw is an adaptation. Did anyone see Kitchen? Why not just by Kitchen from Five rather then re-scripting it? Come up with something original.

Ireland doesn't like originality; it makes it feel threatened. Ireland likes conformity. And nowhere is this more reflected than in RTE.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ianrush

I know several people who have had first hand experience with the current heads of RTE drama. The impression they got was that RTE drama does not see it as their business to develop the talent. Instead under the current regime of Jane Gogan, the preferred option is to bring over writers from the u.k (many of whom would come under the catagory of ITV hacks i.m.o). The reviews of Whistleblower in today's papers are very critical of the writing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

A question: Aren't a lot of TV shows adaptations of other tv shows? And if they do a good job, what of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Instead under the current regime of Jane Gogan, the preferred option is to bring over writers from the u.k (many of whom would come under the catagory of ITV hacks i.m.o).

This seems to be the case to me.
    A question: Aren't a lot of TV shows adaptations of other tv shows? And if they do a good job, what of it?

I have no problem with adaptations of TV shows or movies, if the producers can bring something new to the show.

It seems to me that much of the current crop of RTÉ dramas are re-makes. When RTÉ have produced good TV it generally has come from Irish Writers, I mean we don't really need to see an Irish version of a foreign show, lets just see the foreign show, its cheaper to buy that show then to remake it.
    The reviews of Whistleblower in today's papers are very critical of the writing...

The reviews where mixed from what I could gather. But I have to agree with alot of the reviewers about the dramatisation of those events, the acting was brillant but they had very little to work with and they could really have a 10 part series based on Dr. Neary and Dr. Shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Kitchen was directed by Irish director Kieron J Walsh who is the series director for Raw. Did he not have a hand in adapting it for Ireland?

• Advertisement

Kitchen was directed by Irish director Kieron J Walsh who is the series director for Raw. Did he not have a hand in adapting it for Ireland?

Well the Sunday Times interview with one of the stars of RAW seems to suggest that it is a full adaptation of the Scottish series. And they suggest that Kieron J Walsh did have a hand in adapting it for Ireland. But that's just what I read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Where are all the Irish Scriptwritters? (By Irish I mean people living in Ireland, original drama's from Ireland about Ireland).
    The problem with RTE drama (and indeed Irish films) is that they're nearly always about Ireland. I'd much rather they be about people, who just happen to be in Ireland (there are notable exceptions to this)

Will reserve judgement until I see the show.

The problem with RTE drama (and indeed Irish films) is that they're nearly always about Ireland. I'd much rather they be about people, who just happen to be in Ireland (there are notable exceptions to this)

I know what you mean, but I what I mean to say is that Irish writers should be allowed write mainstream television. There seems to be attendancy not to allow for mainstream writting in Irish TV and Film.

The same could be said of most European television and film. On the other extreme you have American TV which is extreemly mainstream and not very reflective of American life.

But when you set something in a country they will still tend to be about that country.

I don't think there are very many notable exceptions to the rule TBH. Batchelor's Walk, Paths to Freedom, Pure Mule, Love is The Drug are all quiet Irish. IMO

There is very little mainstream that is good e.g. Ballykissangle (a bit twee Irish but hugely mainsteam and not very good)

Debut with 4.2million viewers, but wasn't shown on STV in scotland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement