Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Montenegro vs Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

corban wrote: »
    did he do anything against georgia after the first 15 minutes?

in fairness he defended very well, his positioning was very good and he was always quick to close down and pressurise the opposition. the only downside was he clearly went to the Paul Scholes school of tackling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Now correct me if I'm wrong but if we're playing a team that we shouldn't be worrying about then surely you wouldn't be happy with a one goal win or a draw?

I never said that I wouldn't be happy with a one goal win or draw. My point was that instead of treating this game like we're playing the Italians, we should be a bit more optimistic about our chances. And instead of worrying about how strong they are, look at our respective positives and see that this is a game we could take three points from and should take at least one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

pesireland wrote: »
    It think its great to have a buzz about Irish internationals again, it was a complete disaster under Staunton and i for one could have cared less, they were imbarresing to watch.

Trappa seems to have caught the imagination of the country and the whole country is behind the team again, and a spirit about the squad that i think has been missing for so long, as the team spirit was always our strong point.

I really looking forward to the game tonight and i think the lads can pull it off and get 6 pts from 6, to leave us in a good position.

Come On Ireland!!!

i agree about the buzz, its fantastic. i went to lansdowne and croker under kerr and stan and it was hard to watch/stomach....

i'm not saying trap will turn it around overnight but at least it looks like he's sending a more spirited team out on the pitch...also for the first time in a long time TACTICS are evident...

hope has returned....

in fairness he defended very well, his positioning was very good and he was always quick to close down and pressurise the opposition. the only downside was he clearly went to the Paul Scholes school of tackling.

maybe i'm being a small bit harsh.....but he seems to have tunnel vision and i've never seen him complete a pass over 5 yards....not counting crosses..

my opinion is based only on ireland performances...i dont pay any attention to the spl..

still, i hope he plays a blinder tonight and proves me wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

unless we lose tonight..."Trap out" etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

i agree about the buzz, its fantastic. i went to lansdowne and croker under kerr and stan and it was hard to watch/stomach....

i'm not saying trap will turn it around overnight but at least it looks like he's sending a more spirited team out on the pitch...also for the first time in a long time TACTICS are evident...

hope has returned....

LMAO can't wait to see our posts tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

kenco wrote: »
    Also interestingly they made the point that a lot of the Montenegro team dont play in conditions anywhere like they get at home.....
    I was thinking that myself.
    kenco wrote: »
    Montenegro at home will be a banana skin for at least one of the teams in contention.
    Already has been for Bulgaria; big opportunity for us to take an early advantage in the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

maybe i'm being a small bit harsh.....but he seems to have tunnel vision and i've never seen him complete a pass over 5 yards....not counting crosses..

my opinion is based only on ireland performances...i dont pay any attention to the spl..

still, i hope he plays a blinder tonight and proves me wrong

no you're right, his passing and general ball retention still needs to improve a considerable amount. but under Trappa's sytem there's much more emphasis on the defensive side to his game than with Celtic, and i thought it worth mentioning that he did very well in the other aspects of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

leggo wrote: »

Forget about previous managers like Staunton and Kerr
    I don't want to derail the thread but putting Brian Kerr's name in here like this is just not right and its sickens me. There is no comparison in the standard of football we played under these two managers.
    In our World Cup Campaign under Brian Kerr we lost out to the team who topped their group in the opening round of the finals ahead of the eventual runners-up who were the other team that qualified from our group. A wonder goal from Thierry Henry ended with our only loss in the group. Of course then the game against Switzerland was poor enough also. And with these two results, unfortunate results imo, we ended up failing to qualify by one point.
    Brian Kerr got a very raw deal from the FAI, and was further insulted by the selection of Steve Staunton as his replacement.
    I am not comparing Brian Kerr to Trappatoni, Trap is the most expienced and successful Manager we have ever had but Brain Kerr is not a hopeless case like Steve Staunton either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Agreed. Draws in Switz and Paris weren't the worst.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but if we're playing a team that we shouldn't be worrying about then surely you wouldn't be happy with a one goal win or a draw?

I'm very surprised that some people see this a being pretty much a gimme. Ireland have struggled against far worse teams and are hardly a team of world beaters themselves.
    Wat?
    When have we struggled against far worse teams excluding the Steve Staunton era of total disorganisation and hopelessness?

Macedonia, Iceland, Yougoslavia (not quite at that level I will grant you), Cyprus under kerr. Georgia and Albania under Kerr.

You want a bigger list? Theres a reason why they say we never win against anyone uner the San Marino's away from home.

That team sheet is still dependent on S.Reid passing a late fitness test BTW.

noodler wrote: »
    Macedonia, Iceland, Yougoslavia (not quite at that level I will grant you), Cyprus under kerr. Georgia and Albania under Kerr.

You want a bigger list? Theres a reason why they say we never win against anyone uner the San Marino's away from home.
    Oh I see, this is struggled as in did not post a big win. Winning the game does not count.
    This is off topic anyways but just to remind you that Kerr took over the team after they had lost their two opening games and we drew with Albania who also drew at home with Switzerland and beat Russia in that campaign. We finished four points behind Switzerland in that campaign, so basically our loss to them under Mick McCarthy at home cost us qualification.

Jesus man did you see the Cyprus game under Kerr? They were all over us and missed a peno-you badly need to redefine your definition of struggled.

Anyway, we lsot to Macedonia, scraped past Georgia and drew in Albania.

I won't mention the Swiss and Israel but I wouldn't tank those teams too far ahead of Montenegro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

is there any news on S Reid being fit?

can't see anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Reid fit, team unchanged according to SSN.

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus man did you see the Cyprus game under Kerr? .
    I did, I also seen the Cyprus game under Staunton and the Italy game against Cyprus the other night.

Two teams struggled and came away with wins, one team got hammered.

imo ireland under kerr were very amateurish, it got progressively worse under stan.....
    but just cos stan was worse than kerr doesnt make him a good manager...

ireland had a couple of good results under kerr but it was in spite of kerr not because of him....

anyway i'm forgetting the past now...giving trap a fair go now...as i did with kerr and stan at first....

we are already looking more spirited and professional imo

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

guys what channel is this on? Its not listed on entertainment.ie except for setanta repeating it at 10pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I just realised how much Traps English has improved since we first saw him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

dardoz wrote: »
    guys what channel is this on? Its not listed on entertainment.ie except for setanta repeating it at 10pm
    RTE 2

Reid fit, same starting XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oh dear - the white Jerseys are in play. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Mightn't be the most exciting of results, but at the end of the campaign a 0-0 draw might look like a very, very good result here this evening. Fingers crossed we get at least that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Is the RTE picture much smaller than usual for everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

Yep, seems like that

Montenegro looking lively from the off and causing some problems. Could be a bumpy ride...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Feckin screen is annoying

Reid is passing the ball well. Looking for the quick and direct ball into space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Its full screen on Sentanta....Btw does the ball seem to be more of a balloon to anyone else...just seems to float up in the air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

If only there was some way to combine Setanta's pitch with RTÉ's commentary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Soby wrote: »
    Its full sreen on Sentanta....Btw does the ball seem to be more of a baloon to anyone else...just seems to float up in the air

Yeah, it looks like a Sunday league game that you're watching down in the bog somewhere. The ball seems to bobble everywhere, and it looks like the players are touching it with bricks for feet.

If only there was some way to combine Setanta's pitch with RTÉ's commentary...

Ah you can't beat a bit of aul Brian 'Sausage Rolls' Kerr.

I'd rather sacrafice part of the screen then have to listen to the commentating ****e that comes out of setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I'd rather sacrafice part of the screen then have to listen to the commentating ****e that comes out of setanta

Are RTE really any better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ref's having a good game so far.

Soby wrote: »
    Are RTE really any better?

Yes and easily imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

SofaK wrote: »
    Ref's having a good game so far.
    From our point of view ;-)

Dead balls and general delivery into the box needs to improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Ah you can't beat a bit of aul Brian 'Sausage Rolls' Kerr.

Hmmm. After 10 minutes I think you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

we started terrible imo, looked very nervous, game has settled now but they look very dangerous on the break.

Service to Keane, Doyle needs to improve alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

wish andy reid was playing. hunt/mcgeady look lost

Has anyone else noticed that all the banners around the pitch are Irish sponsors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Why are ireland so useless? Why is their work rate so bad? Why is their movement so bad? Why don't they get forward in numbers? And don't say its the humidity because they are as bad as this in every game. We all know the players aren't great but the real problem is the management team. We really need a new management team and soon to have any hope of qualifying for the world cup. Trap and Brady just aren't up to it and they are too old. We need a manager who isn't scared to get rid of the deadwood- and theres a lot in this Irish tream. We need a young manager who is ambitious and will play attacking football. Of course this will never happen so we can look forward to another world cup without Ireland.

Has anyone else noticed that all the banners around the pitch are Irish sponsors?

Yeah this is usually the case when we are playing countries that are full of peasants. The ad boards are there by and large for the TV crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Why are ireland so useless? Why is their work rate so bad? Why is their movement so bad? Why don't they get forward in numbers? And don't say its the humidity because they are as bad as this in every game. We all know the players aren't great but the real problem is the management team. We really need a new management team and soon to have any hope of qualifying for the world cup. Trap and Brady just aren't up to it and they are too old. We need a manager who isn't scared to get rid of the deadwood- and theres a lot in this Irish tream. We need a young manager who is ambitious and will play attacking football. Of course this will never happen so we can look forward to another world cup without Ireland.

Bring back Staunton! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

oshea doing well

CiaranC wrote: »
    wish andy reid was playing. hunt/mcgeady look lost

In fairness to both, they are working very hard out there and providing a lot of help defensively. However both have been guilty of losing possession too easily and delivering poorly from setpieces.

Overall, we have gained an important foothold in the game have begun to look comfortable defensively (Kilbane's mistake as I type this aside :rolleyes:). The fact that Vucinevic has had to drop deeper and deeper to gain possession is telling.

HANDBALL!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

2nd hand ball denied ffs...

Advertisement