Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Montenegro vs Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why are ireland so useless? Why is their work rate so bad? Why is their movement so bad? Why don't they get forward in numbers? And don't say its the humidity because they are as bad as this in every game. We all know the players aren't great but the real problem is the management team. We really need a new management team and soon to have any hope of qualifying for the world cup. Trap and Brady just aren't up to it and they are too old. We need a manager who isn't scared to get rid of the deadwood- and theres a lot in this Irish tream. We need a young manager who is ambitious and will play attacking football. Of course this will never happen so we can look forward to another world cup without Ireland.

wat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Two stonewall penalties in the space of 30 seconds, neither given.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why was no pentalty given? It was a handball for crying out loud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Bring back Staunton! :)

to be fair, nothing has changed since stauntons reign of ****eness. Same team, same negative tactics, same ****eness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Impressive at the back again, John O'Shea looks good again, very organised. Just shows the difference a good coach makes. Impressive in the centre of midfield again. Its amazing the difference a good coach makes.

I think there is room for Andy Reid in this game. Stephen Reid is getting a lot of balls through to the edge of the box, I'd like to have Andy Reid on as he can take a pass from Keane or Doyle and set something up. I would take off McGeady in this one, he has not looked good, he does not seem to have the beating of either full back.

Again Stephen Reid is magnificent. Glenn Whelan playing well too but there is a need for someone to assist the front two and they are not getting it from either Hunt or McGeady. Hunt is doing ok though.

We should have had a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well im happy with that half.

Its a feisty home support, hot weather conditions and the opposition look to have nippy attackers + the obvious diving.

Nonetheless, our defence is looking composed, the midflield incl the wingers are closing down everything.

Just need Doyle + Keano to get into the game (que the A. Reid supporters to make their case ;)).

Looking good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

to be fair, nothing has changed since stauntons reign of ****eness. Same team, same negative tactics, same ****eness.

fair play to you being able to tell that after one game.... that we won...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't believe the ref didn't give that handball or foul on Keane from the corner. Nice solid, away performance. We're the better team, just need to make it count up front.

John O'Shea has been very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jebus could be 3-0 up with a rub of the green, Keane should have thrown himself to the ground just then, he might have got something.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What are you on about, they look well organised and solid. Just lacking a bit of creativity. Need an outlet player who can hold the ball up.

• Advertisement

I declare shamblertine is an an agent of foot.ie

Mike

Is that you Brian? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Either of those could have been given, the second one more so. In fairness to the ref and linesmen, they're having good games, and are enforcing the rules with a bit of common sense rather than nit picking and giving soft frees for small technical fouls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Good performance so far, just hope we can keep it up. Some really nice passing and retaining of the ball.

Absolutely robbed of a penalty. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Coupla very poor teams on show so far.

roryc wrote: »
    fair play to you being able to tell that after one game.... that we won...

I'm talking about the friendlies as well. We are struggling against montenegro. We haven't even threatened to score. If you're happy with that performance then you mustn't have high hopes for this team.

shhhh....

They are playing in 34 degrees of heat at about 90% humidity, lets see you cut a rug in those conditons. The Monties have been kept at arms lenght for the most part, if Ireland gets out with a draw its a result, a win would be fantastic for them.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think we'll win this.. We're solid, and with a good bit of advice from Trap at half time, we should make the breakthrough. I like the look of our defence, for the first time in years.

Steady does it lads.. 1-0, 6 points, job done.

mike65 wrote: »
    I declare shamblertine is an an agent of foot.ie

Mike

OT: but out of interest, why is it to the advantage of members of foot.ie to come in here and post clueless rubbish?

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »
    I think we'll win this.. We're solid, and with a good bit of advice from Trap at half time, we should make the breakthrough. I like the look of our defence, for the first time in years.

Steady does it lads.. 1-0, 6 points, job done.

What kind of advice? Tell them to put the ball in the opponents' net and not let the ball past Given?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

amacachi wrote: »
    What kind of advice? Tell them to put the ball in the opponents' net and not let the ball past Given?

Yes.. its that simple.. it really is.

Dammit if you were cheaper than Trap, I think you should have knocked around to the FAI before he was appointed. :rolleyes:

mike65 wrote: »
    They are playing in 34 degrees of heat at about 90% humidity, lets see you cut a rug in those conditons. The Monties have been kept at arms lenght for the most part, if Ireland gets out with a draw its a result, a win would be fantastic for them.

Mike

thats football, you'll always have to play in tough conditions at times, but if you can't get past teams like montenegro then theres no hope. Ireland need to win this game to have a hope of qualifying imho.

I can't understand all the talk of "tactics" these days though. There's only so much that any manager can do with a mediocre choice of players.

thats football, you'll always have to play in tough conditions at times, but if you can't get past teams like montenegro then theres no hope. Ireland need to win this game to have a hope of qualifying imho.

So if we draw, and the Bulgarians drew - then neither of us can qualify by your reasoning. Rats. I guess Italy and Cyprus to get out of the group so. Saves a lot of time to clarify matters so early though - cheers!

I can't understand all the talk of "tactics" these days though. There's only so much that any manager can do with a mediocre choice of players.

Greece and South Korea anyone?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Greece and South Korea anyone?

Along with godawful performances from other teams.

I would take McGeady off now. Bundles of effort but he seems to take the wrong decision every time and lose it. We have more robust options on the bench who will provide more than him defensively aswell.

It's unfortunate, but he always seems to be the weakest link at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I can give better balls than hunt. Why is he still allowed waste all set pieces?

• Advertisement

Yeh, both McGeady and Hunt seem to have got worse in this half.

Bring on Keogh for his energy and stamina, or A Reid for his passing ability?

Along with godawful performances from other teams.

Or tactics that made it difficult for the opposition to play? Poland came through the last qualification campaign and Scotland got to the last match with a chance. On paper, their squads are not a lot, if anything, better than ours. Getting things tactically right and having a team working their socks off is always going to be a vital part of any Irish team's chances of getting to a major tournament.

SofaK wrote: »
    Yeh, both McGeady and Hunt seem to have got worse in this half.

Bring on Keogh for his energy and stamina, or A Reid for his passing ability?

Sure - I'd be in favor of anything over McGeady. He's not delivering - though it is definitely not for the want of trying. He seems to be a very honest player it must be said.

Great shot by Keane...

Also, of topic, Finland 1-0 up v Germany :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sure - I'd be in favor of anything over McGeady. He's not delivering - though it is definitely not for the want of trying. He seems to be a very honest player it must be said.
    I think McGeady is doing ok. Hunt looks the poorer of our wingers.

hunt is not up to this, needs to come off

• Advertisement

After watching only 15 minutes of the second half, I'd change that player going off from McGeady to Hunt. Hunt has done nothing good in this half so far and McGeady has done some good work when Montenegro have the ball. But get Andy Reid on there and we win this game.

I think McGeady is doing ok. Hunt looks the poorer of our wingers.

Well, their performances are very similar. Both are trying very hard but losing possession the vast majority of the times they get the ball.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

roryc wrote: »
    Great shot by Keane...

Also, of topic, Finland 1-0 up v Germany :)

Not anymore. I worry a bit about all this talk of it either being Andy Reid or Hunt. Reid's best position is in the middle whereas the assumption seems to be to bring him on on the left side. Always reminds me of McAteer, phenomenal in the middle of the park for Bolton, bought by Liverpool, plonked on the wing, half a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Missed the first half but I'm impressed by ireland's ball retention in the first ten of the second half. Great effort by Keane deserved a goal.

musician wrote: »
    Not anymore. I worry a bit about all this talk of it either being Andy Reid or Hunt. Reid's best position is in the middle whereas the assumption seems to be to bring him on on the left side. Always reminds me of McAteer, phenomenal in the middle of the park for Bolton, bought by Liverpool, plonked on the wing, half a player.
    Well he can play on the left and come in as well. But he is needed as a link man in this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

That's three very good chances for Ireland.

Please Trap, bring on some fresh subs. We can win this!

stephen reid looks like jan molby out there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Macedonia, Croatia, Iran, Georgia, The Netherlands, Slovakia, San Marino....Montenegro?

**** ya McGeady! :) Have to hit the target there. Great link play from Keane to slip him in.

far post far post far post......

that was shocking from mcgeady, a nothing player

McGeady :(

Great play by Robbie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Watching this in patches on the internet. just 13 mins of normal time now. Overall and tbh it's hard to judge I think we have shaded it - but if it's to be a draw would that be acceptable? I don't think this crowd are a guaranteed 3 points for anyone in our group at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Not a great performance and tbh this is the least amount of talent we've had on the bench for a long time imo, Reid's the only half decent player on it. Not looking good!

• Advertisement
Advertisement