Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Montenegro vs Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Slightly disappointed with the result, but overall it's decent. That's four away points out of six in our first two games. Really decent return.
    We need to get the home wins in and pick up points away from home like we've done over the past few days and we should be fine.
    A really positive start to the campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

noodler wrote: »
    And again, is there a team in world football that the Republic would be more fired up against? Bar England maybe.

Id like to think so. But Switzerland and Cyprus, both at home, have taught me that even when it is the grudge or crucial match we have trouble doing it.

Good performance. However, the Montenegrians are clearly a seed 3 minimum tbh. We drew the short one here. Our lads would have murdered Andorra, Faroes, San Marino or any other rightful 6th seed, but, as luck would have it we drew a determined new team. I have this awful feeling that we will be the 2nd placed with least points when it comes to play off time. On a plus, I am hopeful Montenegro can make Italy drop at least 2 on the away leg. But still, I have this lingering feeling that if we do not top the group we will lose on points difference re the play offs.

Bulgaria v Cyprus, which I thought would be on tonight, wasnt on. When are they playing, and where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Now I understand Hunt got really tired and gave the ball away a bit.

A buddy, like him or no, he gives it away as much in the first minute as the last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Relax its just my opinion. I watch football to be entertained, but I was bored senseless by that performance. I'd rather the players give it their all trying to get goals by getting forward in numbers and get hammered 5 nil in the process, than watch dull, tedious, negative play like tonight.

Like what others have said. It's not really, well certainly not the most important thing to look for when watching your country play is entertainment. The truth is the entertainment we are used too is the final few minutes when we're on the edge of our seats chewing our nails praying that they don't equalize or nab a late winner. It's all about 3 points and anything more than that is a bonus.

Just a very quick reflection on the two games. I would say 4 points is o.k and with Bulgaria only managing a draw thats a plus but i just feel it was there for the taking and could've had a bit of daylight between us and them. Anyway a good enough start. Roll on Cyprus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Man Utd were linked with Reid before his injury vs Germany. Can't find much to back that up.
    Independent, The (London), Mar 23, 2006

The midfielder Steven Reid is looking to sign a new contract with the club, despite interest from Manchester United. "It's flattering to be linked with other clubs but I'm also happy here at Blackburn," said Reid, who has a year left on his current contract.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20060323/ai_n16158493

Stephen Hunt - He can't seem to run with the ball without looking down which is a big problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Possibly. Obvioualy, and as you said though-tough for us and they are gonna be tough for Italy. I think Scotland's group may have the runner-up with the lowest points.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Am I the only one who thinks we hoofed the ball forward in hope at times?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Des wrote: »
    lol

Its not that funny. He keeps his fitness up a decent club will notice and make a move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lol

i don't get this. United have had their heads turned in the past 'til injuries messed him up.

I'd love to see him at Arsenal myself, i think he'd be a very good complement to Cesc if he stays fit.

anyway, that's neither here nor there.

so here's the current table; I'm beginning to think there's a strong possibility it will look like this at the end of 2010. any here agree?

1 Italy
    2 2 0 0 4 1 3 6
    2 Rep of Ireland---2 1 1 0 2 1 1 4
    3 Montenegro
    2 0 2 0 2 2 0 2
    4 Bulgaria
    1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
    5 Cyprus
    1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0
    6 Georgia
    2 0 0 2 1 4 -3 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Decent enough performance in both games tbh and we were well worth 4 points over the two matches. Can't remember saying that in back to back away matches ever before :pac:

The team looks solid in defence and i'm mighty impressed with o shea - he's been a rock these past two matches for Ireland. Dunne as always.

Mc Geady reminds me of a poor mans Ronaldo. If McGeady was portugese and playing for Utd, he would be hounded by most people just like Ronaldo was for his first few years at Utd.

He was bullied out of the match tonight and bar his cross for the goal on saturday, he's been poor imo and should be replaced by andy reid...

But... they were both away matches and we did look pretty comfortable in both so at home, you can only assume the tempo will be upped further and i'm sure most people would be reluctant to change what seems to be a side that work well together...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

4 points a very good return from two opening away games, they have to make sure they don't let all the hard work go to waste in the home matches now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Am I the only one who thinks we hoofed the ball forward in hope at times?

Not necessarily - we did hoof the ball forward in hope a few times but I remember consciously noticing this during the game and noting that it was mainly when our fullbacks were under pressure. I was actually thinking this was a good contrast to the opposition defence who were unnecessarily reluctant to clear their lines at times and at one point gave away a needless corner and throw-in in the corner in quick succession.

But to say that we were reliant on the long ball is imo just skewing the actual events to focus on your own pre-determined opinion, kind of like the way there's plenty of people out there who will find one mistake John O'Shea might have made and use that to avoid acknowledging that he played well.

To me it was very clear our team were coached to prioritise keeping the ball and at times they actually went to great lengths to do this by playing it laterally across the back four or laying it back from midfield to the defence at the cost of losing the possibility of gaining a break from an ambitious ball forward.

There is a snobbery in football against the long ball but any team that does not vary their mode of attack is making life easier for the opposition. If they know you never play it long they're more likely to press up leaving more space in behind but actually making it harder for you to play your short game. If you're prepared to ping it in behind them with a smart diagonal ball every now and then they'll think twice about pushing up, thereby freeing up some space for you to play that passing game when you wish. Ireland have the ability to vary their game to play both of these styles so I'd like to see it used every so often, but intelligently.

By the way, when Stevie G hits a 50 yard pass noone calls it a long ball and that's fair enough as he's accurate enough for it not to be an ambitious hit and hope, but I have to say Steven Reid has pinged a few nice 40+ yard passes about the pitch in the last 2 games which really helped change the point of attack....it's not only Andy Reid that can do that :)

Don't want to contradict the gaffer and all ./bows cap to Des./ but the idea of Steven Reid getting a good injury-free run leading to big clubs bidding for him isn't that far fetched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Apologies, but I couldn't watch the match tonight. I've read through some of this thread and a draw seems to be a fair result. Personally, I'm happy enough with 4 points out of these two games. Is there anyone who saw tonight's match who would disagree, and claim we should've had 6 points?

Tom65 wrote: »
    Is there anyone who saw tonight's match who would disagree, and claim we should've had 6 points?

well we should have really imo. we were the better team on the day, albeit marginally. Montenegro best chances came from long shots and from very very tight angles. We didn't create much, but we had two very good chances, one McGeady wasted by going for the near corner from a tight angle when he should have really put it across the goal as we had three players free. the other was a bit of magic from Keane who got a shot out with his back to goal and was just unlucky it went straight for the keeper when it could have gone anywhere. and Whelan should really have hit the target with his from the edge of the area. on top of this we had at least one if not two clear penalties denied to us.

so i think really it's fair to say we should have won, but we didn't. On another day our we might have taken our chances and won, whereas I feel Montenegro really couldn't have done much more than they did. But really though, a draw wasn't the worst result, it was a tight game after all. just as long as they can take a few points off the rest of the group... but too much .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Soooooo we can all agree now that Montenegro are no pushovers yes?

And also agree that, despite not playing in front of Sky's cameras every week, their players are pretty good?

Xavi6 wrote: »

And also agree that, despite not playing in front of Sky's cameras every week, their players are pretty good?

qft. for a population of less than 700,000 they have some very gifted players, and it's pretty obvious they had much better technical ability on the ball across their team, but for the most part without the drive and engine of our lads. kinda makes ya wonder, i think it's matches like these that really show up the british style youth setups like our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They had some very good players but they also had some very average players in their team. I think any team that possesses two wide men that can put in good crosses will cause them all sorts of bother.

eagle eye wrote: »
    They had some very good players but they also had some very average players in their team. I think any team that possesses two wide men that can put in good crosses will cause them all sorts of bother.

So no better or worse than us then.....

So no better or worse than us then.....
    Thats not what I said.

No that's what I said.

We also have some very good players and also some average players

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

juvenal wrote: »
    Either of those could have been given, the second one more so. In fairness to the ref and linesmen, they're having good games, and are enforcing the rules with a bit of common sense rather than nit picking and giving soft frees for small technical fouls

is this stevie wonder i see before me????? are you having a laugh man?? that was one of the worst referree performance i have ever seen, for both sides.

No that's what I said.

We also have some very good players and also some average players
    Well I said very average, not average. In other words not up our level. I think we should have won this game. We needed someone to create something, I would have like to see Andy Reid get a run for half an hour maybe. I think that if say Stephen Ireland was playing for his country and on the right we had a serious chance of winning this game, we were lacking a link between midfield and our attackers. I feel Andy Reid could have provided this. They had ten men behind the ball for long periods of the game tonight. I don't think they will give trouble to teams with good wide players, but any team that tries to play up the middle against them will find it very hard to score. We should have had at least one penalty tonight also.
    Anyways enough of it, at the end of the day the original target was four points and we got them. The team has improved immensely through good coaching and will continue to improve so its onwards and upwards. Set pieces need to be worked on as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It was a great ref's performance bar the handball he missed. He was extremely fair despite us being the home team and the crowd being on his back. We were allowed be ultra physical and he didn't fall for (but also didn't punish) their diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I don't care what RTE say Hunt is ****ing sh!te! The minuses outweigh the pluses. I would rather McGeady/A.Reid play left wing and hopefully Duff will be fit for Cyprus or even Murphy (who is a good left winger but a terrible striker) and please please call up Liam Lawrence because we are desperately short of right wingers Trap!

John O'Shea my MOTM - rarely has he been so aggressive. :D He needs to show that side of him more often.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

John O'Shea my MOTM - rarely has he been so aggressive. :D He needs to show that side of him more often.
    I totally agree, he did not put a foot wrong last night. Really really promising to see him performing so well last night. Just goes to show what he's capable of with some extra aggression in his play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

It was a great ref's performance bar the handball he missed. He was extremely fair despite us being the home team and the crowd being on his back. We were allowed be ultra physical and he didn't fall for (but also didn't punish) their diving.

Really :eek:, i thought the ref had a shocker gave no protection to our strikers and wingers who were hacked down at will, the pen was more accidental than on purpose but ive seem them given.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I thought it was refershing to see a European ref allow physical contact, and also not blow up everytime someone went to ground. I thought he was fair and consistent.

Personally I wouldnt have given the penalty. Difficult to say whether the handball was accidental or not, but as no advantage gained I would have given him the benefit of the doubt. If Keane had been a couple of yards closer, might have been a different outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

remember the Tackle on Doyle??, that was Pat Butchery imo, i actually jumped off my seat screaming at the TV when it happened :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

In fairness i thoughtthe ref was ok, should have shown a couple more yellows.

Ireland played pretty well, McGeady really should have kept a cool head and finished off his chance. On the good side i can see Montanegro taking points off most teams when there at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

its so obvious that A. Reid has to be in that team, Hunt was brutal going forward he had a shocker, Reid should be playing if even for his dead ball ability. Hunt shouldn't be allowed take a free kick again, my estimation of him has plummeted, he really looked like the left back he should be.

I agree John O 'Sea was very impressive, pity he wont be playing much club football to keep it up. Kilbane looked very dodgy in defense, could haunt us in future games. Thought Finnan was solid

spiderdan wrote: »
    its so obvious that A. Reid has to be in that team, Hunt was brutal going forward he had a shocker, Reid should be playing if even for his dead ball ability. Hunt shouldn't be allowed take a free kick again, my estimation of him has plummeted, he really looked like the left back he should be.

I agree John O 'Sea was very impressive, pity he wont be playing much club football to keep it up. Kilbane looked very dodgy in defense, could haunt us in future games. Thought Finnan was solid

Agree with all that. Also, Hunt has the touch of a rapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

pesireland wrote: »
    Really :eek:, i thought the ref had a shocker gave no protection to our strikers and wingers who were hacked down at will, the pen was more accidental than on purpose but ive seem them given.:)

In the immediate aftermath of the handball incident Keane had his defenders arms around his chest and throat. This is the kind of action that supposedly the refs were to clamp down on the Euro Champs. It happened a couple of times in the second half but not as blatently. Guess that is what you get when playing away, the luck might change for our home games...

- Montenegro will take points off other teams
    - Referee was poor for alot of the decisions, 3 poss Irish penos, Doyle takle, let alot of tackles on the Montenegro players go in the first half
    - Hunt has to be dropped - he's all work horse and balls. No composure
    - Andy Reid, heck even Murphy out there instead of Hunt
    - O Shea and Dunne were very good
    - S Reid and Whelan did a job
    - McGeady should have scored...Theo anyone?
    - We need to take 6 points from Bulgaria and Cyprus home games
    - An improvement, but not a massive improvement
    - God bless Shay Given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Hunt has to be dropped for Reid especially when we are playing at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Lads, that was one of the most professional refereeing performances I have seen to date in international football. He certainly could not be accused of being a home ref. Granted, the peno could have been given but that happens in games - he let the game flow and gestured to players to get up and get on with it. On a side note the captain for them was diving all over the place (esp at one point up at the corner flag). Disgrace.

Why are ireland so useless? Why is their work rate so bad? Why is their movement so bad? Why don't they get forward in numbers? And don't say its the humidity because they are as bad as this in every game. We all know the players aren't great but the real problem is the management team. We really need a new management team and soon to have any hope of qualifying for the world cup. Trap and Brady just aren't up to it and they are too old. We need a manager who isn't scared to get rid of the deadwood- and theres a lot in this Irish tream. We need a young manager who is ambitious and will play attacking football. Of course this will never happen so we can look forward to another world cup without Ireland.

One of the biggest Fails ever in the soccer thread

to be fair, nothing has changed since stauntons reign of ****eness. Same team, same negative tactics, same ****eness.

Fail

I'm talking about the friendlies as well. We are struggling against montenegro. We haven't even threatened to score. If you're happy with that performance then you mustn't have high hopes for this team.

Oh you better believe that's a fail

oh well, theres always the 2014 world cup

Fail!!!!!!!!!!!! for writing off the 2010 World Cup when we've collected four points from the opening two games, both away from home.

• Advertisement

yeah it was obvious there was so much ambition to win, all those irish players bombing forward trying to get a goal and creating all those shots on target.....well one shot on target but still, one shot on target is good against a team of montenegros quality. The likes of brazil and argentina must be crapping themselves at the possibility of coming up against this Irish team in the world cup finals.

Fail!!! for pointless rambling needless sarcasm

Relax its just my opinion. I watch football to be entertained, but I was bored senseless by that performance. I'd rather the players give it their all trying to get goals by getting forward in numbers and get hammered 5 nil in the process, than watch dull, tedious, negative play like tonight.

Fail!!!!! for naivety about football

Shamblertine...its true, you fail big time!

nice few postcounts ++ there Monkey9
    Lads, that was one of the most professional refereeing performances I have seen to date in international football. .

I disagree. He wasnt a bad ref but made some poor decisions.There is a difference between letting the game flow and not giving freekicks when they are warranted. We got away with three or four (nothing nasty) tackles in first half. I wasnt complaining, it was kinda like early 90s late 80s soccer at times they way ref let it "flow" but the game has changed.

If it was one of the most professional performances, how did he miss those 2 (possibly 3) penalty decisions. 2 where defo pens I dont care what anyone says...and if there captain for them was diving all over the place all the time and is such a disgrace why didnt he get the line? He must have done it 3 or 4 times to O Shea. It wasnt a shocker from the ref dont get me wrong, but most professional...no chance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I didn't think the ref was even handed at all. Yes he let the odd 'knock' go but he let a damn site more go for MNE than for Ireland. McGeady was absolutely battered on the wing for all but the last 20min for a start. Certainly a home decision on the peno after the handball too.

Dunne and O'Shea were very good as was Whelan, Given immense as usual.
    An improved performance, lets hope they can continue to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

That Irish team won't "thump" anyone.
    In a physical sense rather than a margin-of-victory sense.
    shane86 wrote: »
    I have this awful feeling that we will be the 2nd placed with least points when it comes to play off time.
    That never actually occurred to me, but, considering we really should be beating Montenegro at home, then we’re only really looking at 2 points “lost” against the 6th seeds.

On a similar note, this happened last night:
    http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/front/Pitiful_Switzerland_beaten_by_Luxembourg.html?siteSect=105&sid=9692289&rss=true&ty=st
    so here's the current table; I'm beginning to think there's a strong possibility it will look like this at the end of 2010. any here agree?
    Too early to tell; I’m still not sure what to make of Bulgaria and we’ll have to see how Montenegro fair away from home.
    I don’t remember anyone saying that they were, but we still should have won the game.
    …please please call up Liam Lawrence because we are desperately short of right wingers Trap!
    It is somewhat ironic that two Irish guys in Stoke’s first team are not even included in the squad, yet one of their reserves has played a starring role in our last two games!

djpbarry wrote: »
    It is somewhat ironic that two Irish guys in Stoke’s first team are not even included in the squad, yet one of their reserves has played a starring role in our last two games!

Can say the same about Miller. Came on the other day, Murphy and Andy Reid didnt get a look in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Given 8
    Finnan 7
    O'Shea 8
    Dunne 7
    Kilbane 7
    Hunt 6
    Whelan 8
    Reid 7
    McGeady 7
    Doyle 7
    Keane 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The difference is that Miller is pretty much ineffective for club and country. I've been very impressed with Whelan, though. I hope Puils was paying attention over the last two matches.

On a side note, I really can't remember the last time I thought Keane had an outstanding game for Ireland.

Given 8
    Finnan 7
    O'Shea 8
    Dunne 7
    Kilbane 7
    Hunt 6
    Whelan 8
    Reid 7
    McGeady 7
    Doyle 7
    Keane 6

I agree apart from Robbie Keanes rating. I thought he did better then a 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Trilla wrote: »
    I agree apart from Robbie Keanes rating. I thought he did better then a 6

Agreed. Ok he wasn't too heavily involved, but everytime he got the ball into feet he looked likely to create something, eg. the mcGeady chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement