Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slates - Advice Welcome.

• 07-09-2008 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi,

I am currently preparing to embark on a self-build in Galway and attended the Self Build Exhibition in Punchestown over the weekend for some ideas for materials & pricing etc.
    Whilst looking at roof slates I came across a blue/black Spanish slate, which I liked the rough edge on and the reasonable price of.
    Does anybody have an opinion/experience on these?
    Does 1.85euro (inc VAT) per slate sound like a reasonable price?
    Ultra or premium grades, which should I be looking at?
    There are different sizes of slates available, what are the determining factors in choosing a larger or smaller slate....?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭pete6296

Hi,
    From Galway aswell, I can pm you the name of a good company, you can view decent in their depot in Claregalway. They look good and can be got for 20cent less than what you are quoting.
    Pete
    stubell wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently preparing to embark on a self-build in Galway and attended the Self Build Exhibition in Punchestown over the weekend for some ideas for materials & pricing etc.
    Whilst looking at roof slates I came across a blue/black Spanish slate, which I liked the rough edge on and the reasonable price of.
    Does anybody have an opinion/experience on these?
    Does 1.85euro (inc VAT) per slate sound like a reasonable price?
    Ultra or premium grades, which should I be looking at?
    There are different sizes of slates available, what are the determining factors in choosing a larger or smaller slate....?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lfcjfc

We bought at €1.38 inc vat per slate almost a year ago. Materials have probably gone up a lot since then though. We dealt directly with the local rep initially for the price and then purchased through Brooks once it was agreed. Very pleased with the slate -they are not too uniform in thickness so you can actually tell they are natural slate from the road. You need a good slater though that will take the trouble to deal with the different thicknesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi
    A natural slate is possibly made by a company called cupa pisares in spain. You have 2 types R5 500 x 250 smooth slate 4/5mm thick or the heavy3 Textured slate 7/9mm thick. The most popular on my travels is the Heavy3. Try any brooks outlet. Both slates excellent quality

Advertisement