Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card and hotel damage

Options
  • 07-09-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Have a bit of problem.

While away on a bit of a crazy lads weekend away, one of the lads was pushed through a window, breaking the window in the process. The manager insisted that he had to pay £150 to replace the window, he said there was no way he was paying it as he was pushed by another guest and the window was a crappy pane of ancient glass that wouldnt cost £150.

Anyway they decided they would let him away with it seeing as he really badly damaged his arm and they said he wouldnt have to pay. but this was a really dodgy hotel and MY credit card was used to book his room and im afraid now that they may change their minds and charge the damage to the my credit card. Question is can they do that?

i dont want to cancel the card as im going away later in the weekend for a few weeks and need the card, anyone know whats likely to happen here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I was told before by a hotel they weren't going to charge us for the nights stay (we protested the place was a complete kip) and they agreed to let us go without charging us anything (we didn't stay .. we were there all of 20 mins but had booked in advance by cc).

A week later my cc was charged and Mastercard refused to do anything because we had no proof in writing that they said they wouldn't charge us.

In this case you gave you cc as collateral or deposit for damage to the property so you have in a way consented to them taking the money.

Bit of a messy one .. if you're in doubt ring the credit card company and report a potential unauthorised transaction but they'll probably just cancel your card and send you a new one.

Maybe someone else can offer more insight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

only real guaranteed way is to cancel the card now before they try and process the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

but this was a really dodgy hotel and MY credit card was used to book his room and im afraid now that they may change their minds and charge the damage to the my credit card.
    Not as dodgy as the clientèle by the sounds of it.

You're effectively saying that your party basically vandalised a room and now you want to get out of paying?

If I were you I'd suck it down and get some new (and more mature) friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

My reading of the OPs post suggested someone unrelated to their group pushed one of their group through a window. Yah, lads get rowdy - but if the OPs story is true then it's hardly their fault. Unless of course the window was in their room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

No we actually didnt do anything wrong, my mate was pushed into the window by a drunk lad about 3 times the size of him running down the stairs. The glass broke very easily as it wasnt double glazed or anything. The hotel manager then said he must of punched it through and he was paying - but how could he of punched it through, there was no cuts on his hand they were all on his forearm from were he fell against it. So after a lot of conversations they said we could forget it, but I think they might of just said that as they planned on putting it on the card.

Suppose its best I just cancel the card, but then what am i going to do when i go away for the month - I'll have my maestro debit card but that may not be much good....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

BTW the hotel was booked through Hotels.com if that makes any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Cancelling the card won't nessecarily invalidate the transaction. If it's felt to be valid, the bank can put it on the new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sangre wrote: »
    only real guaranteed way is to cancel the card now before they try and process the transaction.

You know, the BankS/CC companies thought of this a long time ago.

Since the booking pre-dates the cancellation of the card, it can go throught.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

depends how much the original authorisation was for and if they had put anything on the card yet.

Advertisement