Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Single biggest factor in choosing a car

Options
  • 07-09-2008 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Its a mix of several different factors, with different weightings for each person, but which of the above factors do you attach the biggest importance to when selecting a car?

Which of the following is the biggest factor in your car selection? 51 votes

Aesthetics
    0% 0 votes
    Function(size, engine, fuel economy, fittings etc)
    23% 12 votes
    Manufacturer
    66% 34 votes
    Price
    9% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

make sure it has 4 wheels !

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Hard to pin it down to one factor but I would be more likely to buy a car that looks good even if it had bad mpg, reliability, or resale value. As long as it had power I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For me function comes first.

No point in buying an ultra low two seater spider when I need to transport three dogs over dirty, bumpy roads

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

power and reliabilty. not too bothered on looks once its not rubbish looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Being a poor college student, the two main factors for me are engine size and fuel economy.

But once I get a proper job, I think larger engine size and pissing off the Greens will be the main factors! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Function and power. wife and three kids prevents the 3 door hot hatch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

who voted badge!?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

VH wrote: »
    who voted badge!?!:eek:

A Bmw driver:p

*Runs away and hides*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Function for me...

In my case I need a good sized saloon, diesel, suitable for mostly N/M-road driving.. oh and automatic as I haven't driven a manual in years and have no intention of ever doing so again :)

In my case then that means German marques - VW in the current instance - but thinking of an Audi A6 or BMW 5-series (if I can convince myself that I can live with the looks!) come trade-in time in a year or two.

Or if I get sick of all the muppets on the N3 between now and then, I might just go for a dark D-reg Mondeo with an extra aerial or two! :p By all accounts these have a dramatic effect on the behavior of lane-hogs, dawdlers etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

does no-one other than VW and the german prestige marques make diesel autos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

When I changed my car two months ago I only had one requirement - power steering. Anything else was a plus! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

VH wrote: »
    does no-one other than VW and the german prestige marques make diesel autos?

The new Ford Focus has a diesel auto option AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Max_Damage wrote: »
    The new Ford Focus has a diesel auto option AFAIK.

I've had the 1.6 petrol version as a loan while mine was in for servicing. Gutless sums it up I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Price is my main issue. Look at how much I have and then follow on down the list finding something that suits my needs.....no point buying my perfect car engine and economy wise if I have to sell my granny to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Our current main car was decided on by price. We were limited at the time so got something that suited most categories.

Next car will definitely be bought for function. Badge doesn't matter much, once it suits its purpose we'll be happy.

Advertisement