Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would any of you support Sharia law in Ireland?

• 07-09-2008 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

O.K. First let me say two things. I am an atheist. Secondly I genuinely am not starting this thread to attack Islam. I just want to see what are the opinions of Irish Muslims in regards to Sharia law.
    Now, I find it repugnant to see people being publically caned and jeered at by vicious mobs for transgressions which would not even constitute an offence in Ireland.

Now there is a desire among some British Muslims to introduce Sharia law into the U.K. Would you think it would be a good idea to introduce Sharia law or even certain aspects of Sharia law into Ireland. Again I must stress I'm not attacking Islam. In fact I may end up agreeing with you on some issues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Notatoxford

Would you think it would be a good idea to introduce Sharia law or even certain aspects of Sharia law into Ireland.

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I would have no problem with some aspects of Sharia law applying in Ireland (eg in property disputes) providing that all parties concerned freely agreed to be governed by such regulations.

Legally or morally I don't see that would be any different to footballers agreeing to be bound by the rules of the game, or pool players mutually agreeing beforehand whether the black ball can be potted into any pocket or a designated pocket on the pool table, or parties in industrial arbitration agreeing to be bound by the results of the arbitration process.

Providing it is a mutual arrangement, and there is no attempt to usurp irish law, such an arrangement seems eminently sensible. I think it is a shame the Archbishop of Canterbury was vilified by the gutter press for advocating something similar in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Nope, not really. The current laws fine (more or less).

If people want to settle civil disputes via it, then I see no reason why they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 FriarMo

O.K. First let me say two things. I am an atheist. Secondly I genuinely am not starting this thread to attack Islam. I just want to see what are the opinions of Irish Muslims in regards to Sharia law.
    Now, I find it repugnant to see people being publically caned and jeered at by vicious mobs for transgressions which would not even constitute an offence in Ireland.

Now there is a desire among some British Muslims to introduce Sharia law into the U.K. Would you think it would be a good idea to introduce Sharia law or even certain aspects of Sharia law into Ireland. Again I must stress I'm not attacking Islam. In fact I may end up agreeing with you on some issues.

[.....The rule of civil law, the democratic system of representation in government, the protection of the rights of women and minorities and the freedom of thought and belief - under all of which we live here in Ireland - are not only compatible with Islamic values but are closer to the ethos and spirit of tolerance, pluralism and peace in Islam and better serve the Irish Muslim community than the undemocratic regimes and the Draconian judicial systems found in some predominately Muslim countries today]

The above was a letter sent to the Irish Times back in feb 2007 in response to an article regarding the very subject you're discussing- calls for the introduction of so called "Sharia Law" in Britain. In my mind "Sharia Law" as its practiced today particularly the penal code in no way represents the ethos of Islam and are relics of a more violent era. I completely agree with wes the laws as they stand in Ireland are generally fine and any "tweaking" should be carried out within the constitutional framework and the mechanisms in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

The aspects of the law that they are advocating is in regards to marriage, divorce & inheritance.
    I don't think even the most fanatical ones really believe that they introduce the rest of the law in the British Isles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Interesting article in yesterday's Sunday Times, pointing out that some "Shari'ah courts" in Britain are using the Arbitration Act to establish that their findings can be enforced by British courts. There are many bodies that are recognised as involved in "alternative dispute resolution", including sports organisations, professional and industry bodies, and the article points out the the Jewish Beth Din has been recognised for around 100 years. So there are many precedents for "Shari'ah courts" having limited powers to resolve disputes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

hivizman wrote: »
    There are many bodies that are recognised as involved in "alternative dispute resolution", including sports organisations, professional and industry bodies, and the article points out the the Jewish Beth Din has been recognised for around 100 years. So there are many precedents for "Shari'ah courts" having limited powers to resolve disputes.

Not quite as simple as that. Alternative dispute resolution will have to work within the existing framework of UK laws. So Sharia, as interpreted in many countries, is not an option.

E.g. that's why duelling has not been permitted for a long time.

"I don't think even the most fanatical ones really believe that they introduce the rest of the law in the British Isles."
    I'd disagree with this to some extent. Most countries with a majority Muslim population have an authoritarian govt., and don't tolerate dissent as much as in the UK. Especially attempts to undermine existing law and order. In my experience I read more of Muslims in "Western" countries advocating various Sharia schemes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

merrionsq wrote: »
    Not quite as simple as that. Alternative dispute resolution will have to work within the existing framework of UK laws. So Sharia, as interpreted in many countries, is not an option.

Yes, it depends what you mean by Sharia. I guess that a lot of people think of the hudud - the extreme penalties for various offences such as adultery and theft. But there's no way that a Western court would enforce a sentence of stoning or amputation. The sorts of dispute that seem to be covered in practice in the UK's so-called sharia courts are family and inheritance issues, and some domestic problems.

merrionsq wrote: »
    "I don't think even the most fanatical ones really believe that they introduce the rest of the law in the British Isles."
    I'd disagree with this to some extent. Most countries with a majority Muslim population have an authoritarian govt., and don't tolerate dissent as much as in the UK. Especially attempts to undermine existing law and order. In my experience I read more of Muslims in "Western" countries advocating various Sharia schemes.

I read somewhere, but haven't got a reference to hand, that some sharia scholars would say that you can't have a full system of sharia law in a country unless the society is fully Islamic (that's not to argue that those countries that claim to apply sharia are Islamic or that the version of sharia they apply is "correct" - I just can't make that sort of judgement).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AbuBakr

hivizman wrote: »
    I read somewhere, but haven't got a reference to hand, that some sharia scholars would say that you can't have a full system of sharia law in a country unless the society is fully Islamic (that's not to argue that those countries that claim to apply sharia are Islamic or that the version of sharia they apply is "correct" - I just can't make that sort of judgement).

Alhamdulillah, Islam's the fastest growing religion in Ireland. Where are all the Catholics going? Last year, 160 priests died and there were only 9 new priests. 2 new nuns to replace over 200 nuns who died. In a few years, inshallah, Ireland will be a fully Islamic country and we'll have the Sharia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

If any part of Sharia law were ever applied to me, I would take up arms against the authority that tried.

AbuBakr wrote: »
    Alhamdulillah, Islam's the fastest growing religion in Ireland. Where are all the Catholics going? Last year, 160 priests died and there were only 9 new priests. 2 new nuns to replace over 200 nuns who died. In a few years, inshallah, Ireland will be a fully Islamic country and we'll have the Sharia.

Sorry, what your saying make no sense at all. In fact its nonsense. Ireland is becoming more secular, hence why there are so few new Priests etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

If any part of Sharia law were ever applied to me, I would take up arms against the authority that tried.
    Agreed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

who's coming for a pint on good friday so lads? christmas day maybe?

god bless our secular republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

Why are countries today bending over backwards to accomodate newcomers to societies, be they British, Irish, whatever.
    Why should a country adopt certain laws from another country or religion just because people from that population migrate here.

If you go to live in another country, you abide by that country's laws and rules, simple as that.

Do you really think if an Irish people went to live in a muslim country they could start calling for Irish laws to be brought in and it would be tolerated?

Sorry but if they don't like it they don't have to stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

taibhse wrote: »
    Why should a country adopt certain laws from another country or religion just because people from that population migrate here.

What about those that don't migrate here?

Why are countries today bending over backwards to accomodate newcomers to societies, be they British, Irish, whatever.

If you go to live in another country, you abide by that country's laws and rules, simple as that.

Do you really think if an Irish people went to live in a muslim country they could start calling for Irish laws to be brought in and it would be tolerated?

Sorry but if they don't like it they don't have to stay there.

One word;Fear. People are afraid of Muslim extremists so they are bending over backwards to accommodate them. The E.U. are a bunch of pussies. The Japanese have the right idea. In Japan the guest conforms to Japanese social norms. However, the Eurocrats and British polititicians are spineless.

Indeed. Now, off to Catholic-run state schools with our children!

What about those that don't migrate here?

well if they dont migrate and are born here that makes them Irish doesn't it?
    therefore they are expected to follow Irish law

well if they dont migrate and are born here that makes them Irish doesn't it?
    therefore they are expected to follow Irish law

I'd expect anyone in Ireland to follow Irish law.

• Advertisement

exactly thats the point

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

If this Happens, Could the last Person to leave Ireland please turn out the light?

One word;Fear. People are afraid of Muslim extremists so they are bending over backwards to accommodate them. The E.U. are a bunch of pussies.

Sorry this is nonsense. Europe is not bending over backwards for Muslims. Take this for example:

French Muslims face job discrimination

Care to explain how this fits into the whole Europe is "bending over backwards" for Muslims? Seems to me that at least in France, that certainly isn't the case.
    The Japanese have the right idea. In Japan the guest conforms to Japanese social norms. However, the Eurocrats and British polititicians are spineless.

Japan racism 'deep and profound'

I don't think Japan is the best example personally.

As for the Brits being spinless, invading a country looking for imaginary WMDs, isn't spineless. Sure its a war crime, but it would think it would take one hell of a spine to do something like that.

Also, could please explain how the current situation with Hicham Yezza and the arrest of Rizwaan Sabir is "bending over backwards".

For all the "bending over backwards", I can easily find examples that show the opposite. Are some accomodations being made, yes they are, not all are good idea's, but to call this "bending over backwards", is at best an exageration, when there are plenty of examples that tell a different story.

Now the examples, I gave are extreme and I doubt your average Muslim will experience anything like that. I am sure the average Muslims get on fine in most of Europe. I know, have no real issues.

Still I think they show that this "bending over backwards" people are talking about doesn't exist as some are saying it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

One word;Fear. People are afraid of Muslim extremists so they are bending over backwards to accommodate them. The E.U. are a bunch of pussies. The Japanese have the right idea. In Japan the guest conforms to Japanese social norms. However, the Eurocrats and British polititicians are spineless.

I have a friend who came back from Japan recently and witnessed guys in vehicles with loud speakers shouting "foreigners out" etc while marching through a shopping district in Tokyo. From a personal perspective thats not something I'd like to see in Ireland. On the other hand I'm sure there are many decent ordinary Japanese who just feel very strongly about protecting their cultural identity. I can emphatise with those people.

I'd agree though that the E.U. is full of pussies. Too many extreme left elites in Brussels and at home telling us how we need to think. I don't care what they think of me, I won't ever accept Sharia law in Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

You are going to get loads of its anti-woman comments simply because people dont understand the sharia system.

Certain principles of Sharia civil law especially its attitude towards arbitration are common sense- lawyers would hate that -lower fees.

Certainly there are aspects of family law and divorce that are more equitable.Feminists would hate that.

Compensation for victims or harsh punishment - that would kind of really get the liberal do gooders backs up. Prison or apply the ........

You must have some examples in mind that you would like to see applied - why dont you post them?

wes wrote: »
    Sorry this is nonsense. Europe is not bending over backwards for Muslims. Take this for example:

French Muslims face job discrimination

Care to explain how this fits into the whole Europe is "bending over backwards" for Muslims? Seems to me that at least in France, that certainly isn't the case.

Japan racism 'deep and profound'

I don't think Japan is the best example personally.

As for the Brits being spinless, invading a country looking for imaginary WMDs, isn't spineless. Sure its a war crime, but it would think it would take one hell of a spine to do something like that.

Also, could please explain how the current situation with Hicham Yezza and the arrest of Rizwaan Sabir is "bending over backwards".

For all the "bending over backwards", I can easily find examples that show the opposite. Are some accomodations being made, yes they are, not all are good idea's, but to call this "bending over backwards", is at best an exageration, when there are plenty of examples that tell a different story.

Now the examples, I gave are extreme and I doubt your average Muslim will experience anything like that. I am sure the average Muslims get on fine in most of Europe. I know, have no real issues.

Still I think they show that this "bending over backwards" people are talking about doesn't exist as some are saying it does.

Sorry man I disagree strongly in regards to you saying Europe is not bending over backward for Muslims. This guy says it better then I could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIq7tsVvEoY

I have a friend who came back from Japan recently and witnessed guys in vehicles with loud speakers shouting "foreigners out" etc while marching through a shopping district in Tokyo. From a personal perspective thats not something I'd like to see in Ireland. On the other hand I'm sure there are many decent ordinary Japanese who just feel very strongly about protecting their cultural identity. I can emphatise with those people.

I'd agree though that the E.U. is full of pussies. Too many extreme left elites in Brussels and at home telling us how we need to think. I don't care what they think of me, I won't ever accept Sharia law in Ireland :)

Glad to hear someone agrees with me that the E.U. is bending over backwards for them and I hope you enjoy the video from Pat Condell who verbalises my opinion with more dry wit then anyone could.

In regards to racism in Japan....I should have pre-empted that misinterpretation. Yes, some Japanese can be very racist and I would'nt like to see that in Ireland either. However,as you said, I think most Japanese just want to preserve there culture and I respect them for that as you said yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Won't be long now. A few restaurants served alcohol last good Friday and a court case against them was thrown out by a judge.

Sorry man I disagree strongly in regards to you saying Europe is not bending over backward for Muslims. This guy says it better then I could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIq7tsVvEoY

I disagree with you both. There a plenty of examples of Europe not bending over backwards, which would have to magically disappear for what your saying to be correct. So unless that video magically makes them go away, I fail to see how it changes a single one of the points I have made above.

Just, because some guy put a video on Youtube, how does this change the fact, that French Muslims can't get jobs due to there names? How about the 2 students being arrested for researching terrorism? How does this go with the whole "bending over backwards" business? Seems to me that these facts are being conveniently dismissed. The French example, certainly doesn't seem like anyone is "bending over backwards", care to explain how that fits in with this concept? Its certainly doesn't seem that way to me.

Of course, accomdations are being made for Muslims, I don't agree with all of them, but to take them alone in a vacuum and call it bending over backwards, simply makes no sense to me. These things are not happening in a vacuum, there is a lot of other stuff, which tell a different story altogether.

If Europe were bending over backwards for Muslims, there would be no EU nation involved with the Iraq war, and the architects would be have been tried for war crimes by now, at least (this should happen in anyway as its the right thing to do). Sorry, the Iraq war alone makes this whole "bending over backwards" things an exageration and thats being kind as far as I am concerned. I always laugh, when people talk about "bending over backwards" business, when the war criminals behind the Iraq war are walking around scot free. Hell, the fact the war even happened at all alone, is enough make this "bending over backwards" business to look dodgy to me.

I wait with baited breath, for all these things to disappear, seeing as that everyone in Europe is bending over backwards for Muslims. Any day now Tony Blair will be tried for war crimes at the Hague.

**EDIT**
    Forgot to mention your video, doesn't address a single point I have made at all. Can't say I am surprised at all really.

Also, to address what Pat mentions in the video, the resolutions that was passed in the UN, acutally has not effect at all on any nations laws btw. I also agree with him on free speech, but I think he is exagerating the power that the OCI has, which is frankly very little.

So while it may be stupid, it has no effect and I would like to point out that the sanctions against Iraq, passed by the UN, which resulted in countless Iraqi civilian deaths, did have a real effect and that was something supported by the civilised world and to point out is what people in the ME etc would see of the West. As I said earlier, things aren't quite a straight forward, as some would have us believe. Still nice try to avoid addressing a single point, I have brought up btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

wes wrote: »
    I disagree with you both. There a plenty of examples of Europe not bending over backwards, which would have to magically disappear for what your saying to be correct. So unless that video magically makes them go away, I fail to see how it changes a single one of the points I have made above.

Just, because some guy put a video on Youtube, how does this change the fact, that French Muslims can't get jobs due to there names? How about the 2 students being arrested for researching terrorism? How does this go with the whole "bending over backwards" business? Seems to me that these facts are being conveniently dismissed. The French example, certainly doesn't seem like anyone is "bending over backwards", care to explain how that fits in with this concept? Its certainly doesn't seem that way to me.

Of course, accomdations are being made for Muslims, I don't agree with all of them, but to take them alone in a vacuum and call it bending over backwards, simply makes no sense to me. These things are not happening in a vacuum, there is a lot of other stuff, which tell a different story altogether.

If Europe were bending over backwards for Muslims, there would be no EU nation involved with the Iraq war, and the architects would be have been tried for war crimes by now, at least (this should happen in anyway as its the right thing to do). Sorry, the Iraq war alone makes this whole "bending over backwards" things an exageration and thats being kind as far as I am concerned. I always laugh, when people talk about "bending over backwards" business, when the war criminals behind the Iraq war are walking around scot free. Hell, the fact the war even happened at all alone, is enough make this "bending over backwards" business to look dodgy to me.

I wait with baited breath, for all these things to disappear, seeing as that everyone in Europe is bending over backwards for Muslims. Any day now Tony Blair will be tried for war crimes at the Hague.

I heard that the Mosque in the Mosney Illegal Immigrant Camp is located in the old Butlins bar. LOL

Advertisement