Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What camera?

• 07-09-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me in the right direction for digital video-cameras? My background is in photography, and medium format is my preferred format. What is the comparative in video-cameras? What features should I be looking out for, and can anyone recommend/discuss half decent (bargain basement or otherwise) cameras for making short films?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

with a background in photography you'll be looking for 3ccd or up into the higher ends because all the low cost cameras remove features like manual apatures, focus rings and optical zoom.

But as you go up into the higher price brackets these are added onto the camera.

the way digital cameras go its sort of like this: Consumer, Prosumer, Professional, Industry

Industry is pretty much out of everyones league here for the moment.

And Consumer is not worth getting

So if your short on cash you can try and get a 2nd hand prosumer camera, these will be Canon XM2, Panasonic dv100, Sony Vx2000, Sony PD150, JVC GY 300.

You'll get in all these cameras, a focus ring/zoom ring, a apature dial (not a apature ring, same thing but much more fiddling) and then each one on thier own have their own unique advantages and disadvantages.

Overall the best is the Panasonic DV100, got quality sound system, 16:9 lense, good lowlight and its sturdy built. Then the PD150 would come next same again its got good sound and lowlight but no 16:9, its built like a tank though when it comes to breakage. The VX200 is exactly the same but much cheaper and with no good sound (only average sound) The Canon XM2 is sort of the same not good sound, nice lense but no 16:9 either. The GY-300 has horrible image but excellent sound, again no 16:9

They were from the last big DV generation of 3ccd cameras, its all HD now, and I've heard rumours that the Canon HDXM2 is most impressive for its price. It does come with a apature ring (unusual for this level) and is well put together based off its older brother hdxl. The other contenders are the panasonic HD200 which is pretty much a hd update of its previous camera with the added bonus of P2 support. And Sony has a few cameras on the market at different prices.

Professional cameras tend to all be bigger brothers of the ones outlined above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I would disagree that consumer should be completely avoided.
    OP, you never mentioned whether it was professional, or just as a hobby, or what type of films you'd be making.
    A friend of mine from back at uni, made documentries which were mostly interviews with people on the streets, used a basic mini dv camera, which for the style of films, gave it a rough and edgy look, which suited the style perfectly.

Plus if it's just a hobby, no point in spending tons of money at this point.

I would disagree that consumer should be completely avoided.

I was suggesting otherwise purely because he said he has a background in photography, so I made the assumption that he would like to bring the skills from his photography background over to his filmmaking. Which a consumer camera would deny outright, while prosumer and upwards would allow him more control much like with standard photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I'm in a similar boat myself.
    Coming from a (very amateur) photography background and looking for a video camera.

In college I've had access to a Sony VX2100, which I'm fond of.
    Hopefully I'll be shooting a few promotional pieces next summer so I could do with something of reasonable quality.
    Looking to get a camera on a budget (under €1000).

Had been considering a consumer cam like the Canon HF100 for the convenience and low cost.
    The lack of a focus ring and the potentially awkward and frankly unnecessary AVCHD format has put me off that.

I haven't had any luck with secondhand prosumer cams (Sony PD150 etc.)on ebay.
    Even the crappy abused old cams seem to hold their value surprisingly well.

Any advice on what I should do?
    Bit stumped right now to be honest.

yeah prosumer cameras do not drop in price much

But the vx 2000 (which you've tried) can pop up in the uk now and then for about 1500 maybe less every now and then.

Aside from that your best bet would be the panasonic dvx100, which is actually a much better camera but for some reason tends to sell for a relatively cheap price 2nd hand, esp considering what your getting out of it:

some quick ones I found on ebay:

There are a number of sellers on ebay who make a living on selling 2nd hand professional cameras that production companies etc have sold them, can quite regulary get good deals of them (I know my 2 cameras were through 2 of them)

ones I have used and recommand is:

http://myworld.ebay.ie/mummycat0_3&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLER

and

http://myworld.ebay.ie/sisenege

both good sellers I can vouch for. Though I admit I am paranoid and actually flew over to england to pick up the cameras by hand rather then risk p&p

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    both good sellers I can vouch for. Though I admit I am paranoid and actually flew over to england to pick up the cameras by hand rather then risk p&p

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on those two sellers.

I like the look of the Canon XM2. Prices aren't too bad for them.
    The XL1 seems to be reasonable value too.
    Couldn't see a DVX100 anywhere near my budget :(

I'm still being drawn to the Canon HF100 for the ease of transfer and lack of potential trouble with tape heads.
    Any opinion on the AVCHD format?

no real experiance with it sorry

Had a play around with a HF10 today.
    Lovely little camcorder, but I suspect I'd be a bit limited by it.

I'll wait around and see if anything appears on ebay.
    XM2 in pole position right now!

Is an anamorphic lens of much importance with regards camcorders of this level? Sony VX2100 etc.

I was talking with one of my lecturers and he seemed to be pushing me in the direction of a camcorder with an anamorphic lens. Didn't think camcorders generally came with these as standard, more of an add on.

Vx2000, XM2 etc are the last generation before anamorphic lenses became pretty much standard.

they shoot in 4:3 and have fake anamorphic modes which are not worth using.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Vx2000, XM2 etc are the last generation before anamorphic lenses became pretty much standard.

they shoot in 4:3 and have fake anamorphic modes which are not worth using.

Thanks for the reply.

In that case would I be better off spending a few € more and getting myself a camera with an anamorphic lens?
    If so are there any particular cameras worth a look?

Long term I'm not sure what I'll be shooting. For the moment I'll be doing documentary, web and maybe some corporate work.

It's a pity as I found a good older camcorder for a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

May be too expensive but found this page informative

http://www.711net.com/camera.html

Bought myself a VX2100 earlier this week.
    Included a wide angle lens, long life battery and a shoulder/abdominal brace for 900€.
    Might not be state of the art but it'll do me for a few years of messing about.

Advertisement