Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a fair price for rebuilding chimneys.

• 07-09-2008 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

I live in a 2 storey house with ordinary sized chimneys. I want to get them taken down and rebuilt. I was quoted 4500 Euro for this which I thought sounded very expensive. This price includes all supplies and scaffolding. Does this price sound fair.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

it is a slow dirty messy job . the price does not surprise me . it includes insurance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

Thanks for replying. I don't know if this includes insurance. I have a feeling that it doesn't as it is a man on his own that would be doing the job.

be careful . speak to your household insurance people . if the man you employ does not have insurance - which YOUR insurance provider is happy with - then you must buy some . There is a clear cut risk here - potentially very dangerous - you must ensure the risk is catered for .

As far as your original query is concerned - you should try to get 2 other prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Check your home insurance. It may cover you for necessary maintanance small works. give them a call.

this is not small works .....

• Advertisement

OP chimneys and fireplaces are probably the most complex part of a house build The Homebond manual devotes 16 pages to it . Whilst I expect some to post " it's not rocket science ( I hate that cliche ) it is VERY easy to get wrong .

I wonder why you are re building your existing ? I hope this is the last time you need to do this . You need a good reliable contractor for this

It's not that I really want to rebuild - This is what the man suggested. There is a crack somewhere in the chimney where rain water is getting in and I really wanted someone to repair this, but it is impossible to get someone to do this small job. When this man came down, all he wanted to do was rebuild the two chimneys. I can't seem to get anyone to actually give me a quote for a repair job only.

Ok - this guy may be taking about stitching - i.e. demolishing locally only to either side of the crack and rebuilding .

€4500 would be way too much for that .

You need a friendly neighbourhood architectural technician or engineer to help you

No, he was actually talking about rebuilding the whole chimneys. He didn't even go up to look at them. It's only in the one chimney, but he wants to rebuild the 2 of them. I thought it was expensive what he was asking for the job, but at the same time, I don't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭WUFF

Get a qualified person either an engineer or a builder with good references to take a look. Unless both chimneys are structurally unsound there should be no reason to have them rebuilt. Might save you a lot of money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement