Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again with the S/N Margin & Attenuation line stats

Options
  • 07-09-2008 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I know this subject has been covered before more than once but i'd really like to get some feedback on S/N Margin & Attenuation line stats please.

I've just goten BB in after years of trying and atm im on the 1meg/128 connection and as good as it is for low ping apps i'd still like to see what i can squeeze out of the line.

On the Netoptia modem i get these stats, these crc's are low but sometimes can get much higher but the SN Margin remains the same.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 21.80 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 42.00 24.00
    CRC Errors 185 0

On the Netgear DG 834GT the noise margin is a little better and will go from 22 to 24dB where as the Netopia will remain pretty constant.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 1024 kbps 128 kbps
    Line Attenuation 43.0 db 25.5 db
    Noise Margin 23.5 db 17.0 db

I've entered the stats http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx here but i'd like a real world reading from people that have gone from 1meg to 3 meg and what dB readings they had after the upgrade.

Theres no other eqipment connected to the phone line and i've tried without a filter and with so i think these stats are as good as im gona get not that im complaing as im 2mls from exchange.

Also could i ask by what amount of loss there is in dB's when going from say a 1meg to a 2 meg to a 3meg etc, i've read its about 6dB's per meg does this sound right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

upgrae to 3Mb, it'll work grand on that line, then see where you are with SNR

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I have rock solid 3Mbps connection on a line worse than the one you posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I have rock solid 3Mbps connection on a line worse than the one you posted above.
    his stats will deteriorate as speed increases

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

lmimmfn wrote: »
    his stats will deteriorate as speed increases
    I was taking that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Should have a solid 3mbit no problem there, you're absolute max would probably be around 4-4.5, but obviously wouldn't be worth getting a package above 3mbit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement