Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horse getting down to roll

Options
  • 07-09-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I have a 16.3 at home with me at the moment and when he goes about getting down to roll it takes him about 5-7 seconds to actually get down on the ground to roll. When he rolls he seems to enjoy it and rolls over on both sides, he finds it very easy to get up... any suggestions about what could be causing this slowness in getting down to roll?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

might be worth getting his back checked by a horse physio, just to put your mind at rest..but sometimes a horse just takes it time getting down for no reason at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I wouldnt worry about it to be honest, the fact that he can roll over on both sides is a very good sign as regards his back. one of my horse's spends ages rolling, its almost like he plans the whole things and thinks it through, but when he gets down to it, he'll roll over and back at least twice or 3 times and seems to get great pleasure from it. one of the other horses gets down and rolls and back up within a much shorter period in comparison..so i think it just depends on their own individual nature, that is if they have no injury etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

Thats what I am wondering about - whether there is an injury. when he goes about getting down to roll his legs start to shake?? He isn't lame or anything when I'm riding him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

hmm, maybe he does have a weakness in his back and lumbar region? but, again, if you say he can roll over on both sides well that is a good sign, even the fact he is okay when riding is good. again, he might be okay, just weak there. if you are worried, do you know of a physio or someone who massages horses, they might be able to tell you if there is a problem? have you noticed any change in the horse when riding him even? but horses always have their own silly ways of doing things different to other horses, so its quite possible that its just his way of doing things and something he's always done that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As other posters have said, the fact that your horse is happy to roll over suggests that if there is a problem, it's probably not a major one. We had a pony who took ages to get down to roll - she'd bend her knees, and her legs would start to shake like jelly before she actually got down to roll.... She then spent ages rolling, and would roll over quite a few times.

However, if you're worried, or just want piece of mind, it would be best to get your horse checked out, just incase...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

convert wrote: »
    As other posters have said, the fact that your horse is happy to roll over suggests that if there is a problem, it's probably not a major one. We had a pony who took ages to get down to roll - she'd bend her knees, and her legs would start to shake like jelly before she actually got down to roll.... She then spent ages rolling, and would roll over quite a few times.

However, if you're worried, or just want piece of mind, it would be best to get your horse checked out, just incase...

Thats the way he carries on exactly! His legs start to shake like jelly! Just to be on the safe side I am going to get him checked out by a horse physio because I'm currently eventing him and he is 18...:( Does anyone know of a good horse physio around the south east area??

Advertisement