Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Hi folks, just an update of the progress being made with the Athy – M9 link road.
    This is my map of the scheme, it’s not 100% accurate but should give people an idea of the route and the general area.

dvngpe.jpg
    Starting on the Athy side the first part of the scheme (N78 – Baile Ui Choilean) goes cross country. There is progress being made on this section but as it’s a green field route its not that easy getting pictures.
    From Baile Ui Choilean to Burton the new road seems to follow the existing road. The first 3 pics show the road widening going on.
    9qa5ad.jpg
    21opxc2.jpg
    Just an observation but the road is being built fairly close to existing houses/warehousing on the route. I wonder was there CPO’s for some of the close by properties?
    2edwjrp.jpg
    11h8j2x.jpg
    I’m not too sure whether this road is an access road or part of the main scheme?
    33m6fdf.jpg

At Burton the road crosses green fields, and the real visible progress begins.
    29lmsqo.jpg
    seylvk.jpg
    These 3 pics are taken about a mile further on.
    2cibnyg.jpg
    33af442.jpg
    2s92hxu.jpg
    The new scheme crosses the road here
    aw6x4j.jpg
    Looking east towards the M9.
    noak94.jpg
    Quiet close to the M9.
    9hp4ed.jpg
    30xeyx5.jpg
    This is where the road joins the M9 (the R747 junction).
    2ypmcfb.jpg
    The M9 looking north from the same spot.
    2ymd8bo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is the Athy link road going to get an N number? It looks like the CPO boundary on the greenfield sections are wide enough to accomodate 2+2 easily-what road type is planned for this link?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

My views are my own.

murphaph wrote: »
    Is the Athy link road going to get an N number? It looks like the CPO boundary on the greenfield sections are wide enough to accomodate 2+2 easily-what road type is planned for this link?
    My suggestion would be to call it the N747 and they could then rename the Athy - Kilcullen section of the N78 to R78.
    As regards the type of road as far as I know its going to be a single carriageway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,773 ✭✭✭✭L1011

yellow012 wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to call it the N747 and they could then rename the Athy - Kilcullen section of the N78 to R78.
    As regards the type of road as far as I know its going to be a single carriageway.

Not a chance of there being three digit N or two digit R road numbers. Never existed before, would break all logic in our numbering system and may actually be against the law to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,773 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I don't mind the new concrete median, but I just wish they'd add in a few wide median parts to vary it up. On the M8, there is a roughly 2km wide-median (new build) section near Cahir for example. Despite the fact it's horrendously maintained, it's still a welcome break from the concrete barrier.

If they were to do it like that, I'd have no reservations (excuse the awful road pun there) about it.

I thought I'd gone mad seeing that one time and every time I've passed since I've been looking for it to see if I thought right...

Is there any proper reason for it being WD3 at that point? Different builders, older plans, lie of the land, etc I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd imagine it will become the N78 and the existing road will be downgraded to an R road.

The link road from Loughrea to the M6 will become the N65 and the existing N6 not on the N65 or N66 route will be downgraded to R road, according to an email from the nra about a year ago.

And the N52 was re-routed away from Kilbeggan to Tyrrelspass ( the mullingar side, not the Tullamore side.) so it now multiplexes with teh M6 for a while. This was when the new link road at Tyrrelspass was built so there's form there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bards wrote: »
    From http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/news.htm

"The temporary diversion of Kilkenny and Dublin bound traffic via the existing N24 will remain in place until the deck and parapets of structures No’s 18,19,20 are in place which is envisaged to be mid June 2009."

Well the diversion has stopped now. You go the old road under the new bridges now rather then going over by the N24 (thank god!). Local access is only permitted if you wish to go straight, so to connect to the N24 you head out the N9 and turn back right.

That road to the N24 - its very windy and I assume there is a bridge/overpass being constructed and a slip road further up which seems to go under the main road (which might be why its closed now).

Also good progress seems to be on the roads surrounding the crazy diversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I hope it does become the N78. The N78 will be obsolete north of Athy now anyhow as the M9 will be far quicker and safer even though slightly longer.
    Such a pity they could not have thrown in a bypass or relief road for the n78 around Athy itself and remove a major bottlekneck. But no danger there would this kind of joined up thinking in building Irish infrastructure, sadly :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

mfitzy wrote: »
    I hope it does become the N78. The N78 will be obsolete north of Athy now anyhow as the M9 will be far quicker and safer even though slightly longer.
    Such a pity they could not have thrown in a bypass or relief road for the n78 around Athy itself and remove a major bottlekneck. But no danger there would this kind of joined up thinking in building Irish infrastructure, sadly :(

The proposed Athy Southern Distributor Road is supposed to start at the same roundabout where the Athy Link Road will join the N78. But with an estimate bill of €42m (http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/No-money-for-Athy-southern.4942811.jp) it's not really something you can just "throw in" unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

yellow012 wrote: »
    Hi folks, just an update of the progress being made with the Athy – M9 link road.

The Athy link road seems to be progressing at a good pace from your photos.
    Does anyone know how far along the Kilkenny link road is? I have seen some works at the Hebron roundabout but not sure how the rest is going.

dougal wrote: »
    The Athy link road seems to be progressing at a good pace from your photos.
    Does anyone know how far along the Kilkenny link road is? I have seen some works at the Hebron roundabout but not sure how the rest is going.

Looks fairly well advanced to me, the new N10 link road. Flyovers and bridges seem to be in place and all the road has been dug out and that. Just the end point at Hebron has had least attention as there is no need to disrupt too early in the project; it will be the last bit to be tied in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Crossing the Danesfort bridge, you can now see them putting up the concrete median barrier. A few days ago the activity was around the bend towards Kells direction, but in the past few days it has started to move closer and closer to Danesfort.

Hopefully that means the section from Knocktopher to Danesfort could be opened along with Waterford-Knocktopher (whenever that opens). It would be nice to drive on motorway between Danesfort and Waterford, rather than having to still suffer through Stonyford, Ennisnag and Knocktopher.

By the way, big metal poles have gone up on the left-hand-side heading out of KK towards Danesfort. They seem a bit far away to be anything to do with the motorway, although they look like they could be for signage. Anyone got any idea?

Also, any idea how the bit around Mullinavat is getting on? Last time I was there, I was shocked at how far behind they seemed to be (although in fairness it could just have been that little stretch that's visible from the bridge there).

Looks fairly well advanced to me, the new N10 link road. Flyovers and bridges seem to be in place and all the road has been dug out and that.
    I must take a spin out the road towards Clara some evening to see progress.
    In fairness the rest of the motorway is progressing at a good pace so I'm sure this will be as good a job.
    fricatus wrote: »
    By the way, big metal poles have gone up on the left-hand-side heading out of KK towards Danesfort. They seem a bit far away to be anything to do with the motorway, although they look like they could be for signage. Anyone got any idea?
    Yeah there are 8 poles there and I assumed they would be for motorway signage but this morning between Stoneyford and Knocktopher they seemed to be putting similar poles in too so I am not so sure now.
    I'll take a closer look there this evening - I may have been seeing things.

dougal wrote: »
    ...but this morning between Stoneyford and Knocktopher they seemed to be putting similar poles in too...

Yeah, I saw those... although they look to be a bit smaller than the Danesfort ones. In both cases, they're quite a bit away from the motorway, so I can't imagine them having anything to do with it.

Also, signage is usually the very last thing to go up when a new road is opened, and we're still a bit of a way off that road being complete.

Yeah, I saw those... although they look to be a bit smaller than the Danesfort ones. In both cases, they're quite a bit away from the motorway, so I can't imagine them having anything to do with it.

Also, signage is usually the very last thing to go up when a new road is opened, and we're still a bit of a way off that road being complete.

Ah I reckon, they must be. What else could they be? Remember the ones outside of Ballyhale are well away for the development too; you know the ones that say Spring 09!! Shouldn't be too long to wait now.

Am correct in sayin the Waterford N25 bypass is to open in tandem with M9 Waterford-Knocktopher. Perhaps that explains the slow recent progress despite the vast majority of the road being finished.

Am correct in sayin the Waterford N25 bypass is to open in tandem with M9 Waterford-Knocktopher. Perhaps that explains the slow recent progress despite the vast majority of the road being finished.

That seems to be the assumption. Maybe that's because the first few kms of the N9 (from Rice Bridge out to Dunkitt) is actually not being built under the Waterford-Knocktopher contract, but under the city bypass contract.

However the two aren't dependent on one another. The M9 will start at the Quarry roundabout near Grannagh Castle, and while it wouldn't be ideal, there's nothing to stop them routing traffic from there to the city centre using the existing roads.

If the M9 is to open in tandem with the bypass, that would mean it's set for a September or October opening. That would be seriously good news for users of the existing N9, since we'd be on motorway once the dark evenings come in again.

On another note, the concrete barrier that has been moving up from Kells towards Danesfort has now progressed beyond the N10 Danesfort bridge.

Roll on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

That seems to be the assumption. Maybe that's because the first few kms of the N9 (from Rice Bridge out to Dunkitt) is actually not being built under the Waterford-Knocktopher contract, but under the city bypass contract.

However the two aren't dependent on one another. The M9 will start at the Quarry roundabout near Grannagh Castle, and while it wouldn't be ideal, there's nothing to stop them routing traffic from there to the city centre using the existing roads.

If the M9 is to open in tandem with the bypass, that would mean it's set for a September or October opening. That would be seriously good news for users of the existing N9, since we'd be on motorway once the dark evenings come in again.

On another note, the concrete barrier that has been moving up from Kells towards Danesfort has now progressed beyond the N10 Danesfort bridge.

Roll on!

I have it from good sources that there is no way that the entire waterford to knocktopher section of the M9 will be open by the end of the year, however there is a chance the section from Mullinavat to tie-in to the section being constructed under the Waterford Bypass contract may be open by Christmas, so it looks like another winter of dark evenings on the N9 as far as the Carlow bypass.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I have it from good sources that there is no way that the entire waterford to knocktopher section of the M9 will be open by the end of the year, however there is a chance the section from Mullinavat to tie-in to the section being constructed under the Waterford Bypass contract may be open by Christmas, so it looks like another winter of dark evenings on the N9 as far as the Carlow bypass.

Thanks Road-Hog. Even if that bit opened by Christmas it would be better than nothing. The existing section of the N9 between the city and Mullinavat is the busiest bit, and parts of it are extremely dangerous - the roller-coaster section in particular...

Roll up, roll up, for the thrill of your lives! Gasp as you enter a blind bend combined with a hump-back dip! Shriek as you encounter a 40-foot lorry suddenly inches away from you! Scream as you brake for a tractor that's just pulled out from a concealed entrance! Yes ladies and gentlemen, the N9 will scare the wits out of you! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

however there is a chance the section from Mullinavat to tie-in to the section being constructed under the Waterford Bypass contract may be open by Christmas

I often thought this was a possibility but I couldn't see it working. It would mean that all traffic from Dublin to Waterford would have to take the left turn in Mullinavat leading from the N9 to the M9 junction. It would be impossible for two trucks to meet on that bend with the house on the corner. I think it would create more traffic problems than the short section of motorway would solve.

I'll try and take some photos at Lukeswell and Mullinavat shortly to documnet progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

Thanks Road-Hog. Even if that bit opened by Christmas it would be better than nothing. The existing section of the N9 between the city and Mullinavat is the busiest bit, and parts of it are extremely dangerous - the roller-coaster section in particular...

Roll up, roll up, for the thrill of your lives! Gasp as you enter a blind bend combined with a hump-back dip! Shriek as you encounter a 40-foot lorry suddenly inches away from you! Scream as you brake for a tractor that's just pulled out from a concealed entrance! Yes ladies and gentlemen, the N9 will scare the wits out of you! :D

ROTFLMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Roll up, roll up, for the thrill of your lives! Gasp as you enter a blind bend combined with a hump-back dip! Shriek as you encounter a 40-foot lorry suddenly inches away from you! Scream as you brake for a tractor that's just pulled out from a concealed entrance!

The fun of driving on an Irish road! :D

When will the M9 be fully completed officially? Will it be the next inter urban to be completed after the M6?

The M7 will be the last to finish IMO as the Nenagh-Castletown scheme could crawl into 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The way I see it happening now is M6 then M8 then M9 then M7.

Munurty wrote: »
    I often thought this was a possibility but I couldn't see it working. It would mean that all traffic from Dublin to Waterford would have to take the left turn in Mullinavat leading from the N9 to the M9 junction. It would be impossible for two trucks to meet on that bend with the house on the corner. I think it would create more traffic problems than the short section of motorway would solve.

I was thinking exactly the same thing and I had a look at that junction on my way home from KK today. Just as you say, it's extremely narrow. Even if the right-of-way was switched, you'd still have a situation where two trucks couldn't pass.

Solutions? Temporary traffic lights? A 3-ton ban on that little road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

From where the M9 crosses the railway and existing N9 near Dunkitt as far as Mullinavat is fully lined on the Southbound side with Northbound ready for painting. The last 2km or so from Dunkitt to The Grannagh roundabout has some form of tarmac along its entirety with the various bridge surfaces needing the most work as the concrete base to these are still visible.

Looking North from Mullinavat it looks at the stage the Waterford Mullinavat was 6-8 weeks ago in my opinion. Hopefully will be able to post some pics soon.
    I have it from good sources that there is no way that the entire waterford to knocktopher section of the M9 will be open by the end of the year, however there is a chance the section from Mullinavat to tie-in to the section being constructed under the Waterford Bypass contract may be open by Christmas, so it looks like another winter of dark evenings on the N9 as far as the Carlow bypass

Not just the dark evenings, the fun of black ice between Mullinavat and Ballyhale in January and February and trucks trying to hold the bends past Mullinavat was a unnerveing expierience as I'm sure many of my fellow 6am commuters can testify!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

The tie-in of the new stretch of motorway with the existing M9 at Kilcullen will commence in mid-August and will involve completing the south-traffic carriageway first and then the north-traffic carriageway. The north-traffic ramp at the Kilcullen exit will be closed as will the south-traffic ramp at the same exit. During the tie-in process Dublin bound traffic wishing to go to Kilcullen or Newbridge will come off the N9 at the new link road just before Kilcullen, joining the Athy - Kilcullen road.

The projected timeframe for the tie-in is 8 to 10 weeks. The completion of this process will coincide with the opening of the M9 north of the Carlow bypass. Therefore, it will be opening October at the earliest/November at the latest.

Therefore, it will be opening October at the earliest/November at the latest.

Sweet!! I had imagined the tie in would take a lot longer than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

The tie-in of the new stretch of motorway with the existing M9 at Kilcullen will commence in mid-August and will involve completing the south-traffic carriageway first and then the north-traffic carriageway. The north-traffic ramp at the Kilcullen exit will be closed as will the south-traffic ramp at the same exit. During the tie-in process Dublin bound traffic wishing to go to Kilcullen or Newbridge will come off the N9 at the new link road just before Kilcullen, joining the Athy - Kilcullen road.

The projected timeframe for the tie-in is 8 to 10 weeks. The completion of this process will coincide with the opening of the M9 north of the Carlow bypass. Therefore, it will be opening October at the earliest/November at the latest.

I assume from the details you have provided that you are working on the project or have some direct link with someone who is? So we will have motorway from south of carlow to kilcullen by October November of this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

I assume from the details you have provided that you are working on the project or have some direct link with someone who is? So we will have motorway from south of carlow to kilcullen by October November of this year?

No, I have no involvement with the project itself or Roadbridge. I live on the route and will be affected by these latest changes in particular, so obviously the contractors have consulted with us. In relation to the completion date, all they would commit to saying was that it would be opened "before Christmas" but when I added up the timeframe they gave us for each of the remaining stages October/November was what it worked out as.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement