Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I have it from good sources that there is no way that the entire waterford to knocktopher section of the M9 will be open by the end of the year, however there is a chance the section from Mullinavat to tie-in to the section being constructed under the Waterford Bypass contract may be open by Christmas, so it looks like another winter of dark evenings on the N9 as far as the Carlow bypass.

That is depressing news; I hope you are wrong! It started construction well over two years ago; what is the problem?
    This is one of the slowest road constructions I can recall in recent years. And sadly one of the most needed at the same time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There was a delivery of about four very (very!) large concrete pillars (what looked like them anyway) to a site enterance just before the first new bridge on the N9 (the main stretch, a little outside Waterford). Was behind it from Mullinavat, slow moving!

Also, just outside Mullinavat there is a right turn that goes to New Ross. Drove up this way the other night and there seemed to be a site office area along with some connection with the moterway (ususal roundabouts with exits on either side). From what I could see, there was hardly anything done. It looked all muddy and flooded to me.

Sully wrote: »
    There was a delivery of about four very (very!) large concrete pillars (what looked like them anyway) to a site enterance just before the first new bridge on the N9 (the main stretch, a little outside Waterford). Was behind it from Mullinavat, slow moving!

Also, just outside Mullinavat there is a right turn that goes to New Ross. Drove up this way the other night and there seemed to be a site office area along with some connection with the moterway (ususal roundabouts with exits on either side). From what I could see, there was hardly anything done. It looked all muddy and flooded to me.

Ascon/BAM have their main M9 site office just there. Yes, there is still a good bit of work there, but for a very short section I think, if I recall correctly I thin you can almost see the completed bits a few hundred metres either side of the remaining works.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

mfitzy wrote: »
    Ascon/BAM have their main M9 site office just there. Yes, there is still a good bit of work there, but for a very short section I think, if I recall correctly I thin you can almost see the completed bits a few hundred metres either side of the remaining works.

Is the junction done there even - sure in Danesfort you could nearly drive on to the motorway.

dougal wrote: »
    Is the junction done there even - sure in Danesfort you could nearly drive on to the motorway.

Yes, pretty much, two roundabouts in place. As there is at Knocktopher as well.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Thanks Road-Hog. Even if that bit opened by Christmas it would be better than nothing. The existing section of the N9 between the city and Mullinavat is the busiest bit, and parts of it are extremely dangerous - the roller-coaster section in particular...

Roll up, roll up, for the thrill of your lives! Gasp as you enter a blind bend combined with a hump-back dip! Shriek as you encounter a 40-foot lorry suddenly inches away from you! Scream as you brake for a tractor that's just pulled out from a concealed entrance! Yes ladies and gentlemen, the N9 will scare the wits out of you! :D

Ever see the old guy out cycling on that section? Have encoutered him afew times and suicidal would not be the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Ever see the old guy out cycling on that section? Have encoutered him afew times and suicidal would not be the word.

Yeah think I know who you are talking about, on a Sunday evening recently everybody doing 80-100km/h on the rollercoaster outside Mullinavat and then slam the brakes on as we find yer man at the far side of the bend not excatly keeping in either.

Sucidal, I was thinking more like man-slaughter if he causes an accident God forbid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

What an awful newsletter. They couldnt even be bothered spelling March with a capital letter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What an awful newsletter. They couldnt even be bothered spelling March with a capital letter.

Not much news either tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Well they really did bust themselves with the pics! :rolleyes:

Very poor effort really - oh! the good old days when we had proper websites for some road schemes - like the M1 Airport to South of Balbriggan, and N2 Finglas to Ashbourne - with plenty of updates and pics. Just imagine if the M50 upgrade project had such a thing! :pac:

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Yeah think I know who you are talking about, on a Sunday evening recently everybody doing 80-100km/h on the rollercoaster outside Mullinavat and then slam the brakes on as we find yer man at the far side of the bend not excatly keeping in either.

Sucidal, I was thinking more like man-slaughter if he causes an accident God forbid.

Think I met him half way along there around 1pm last Wednesday. He had stopped a the side of the road (no hard shoulder along there) to talk to a friend on ANOTHER bike at the OTHER side of the road!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rameire/sets/72157620682445393/

took some pics today of the n9 / m9 / n78 junctions and roads, which are near the kilcullen junction.
    for some reason my pics are not visable when i reference them.
    will post a few when it works again.
    otherwise

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

There were 4 spans put in yesterday at Knockmoylan for the bridge over the motorway to link Knockmoylan and Lukeswell.
    They would have had to bring them out from Waterford along the motorway if they are the same ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

rameire wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rameire/sets/72157620682445393/

took some pics today of the n9 / m9 / n78 junctions and roads, which are near the kilcullen junction.
    for some reason my pics are not visable when i reference them.
    will post a few when it works again.
    otherwise

Fine set of Photo's, especially the one looking North towards Kilcullen.
    There'll be a nice rise on that section coming off the existing M9.
    I see the concrete median barriers are in place south of The Priory bridge.
    Speaking as a Castledermot resident who travels to Naas everyday this project is a godsend.
    Maybe I'll just travel the old N9 cause I'll have it all to myself :D.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Fine set of Photo's, especially the one looking North towards Kilcullen.
    There'll be a nice rise on that section coming off the existing M9.
    I see the concrete median barriers are in place south of The Priory bridge.
    Speaking as a Castledermot resident who travels to Naas everyday this project is a godsend.
    Maybe I'll just travel the old N9 cause I'll have it all to myself :D.

They are going to have a nice bit to do to tie them alright. But progress has been so good I have no doubt they will make easy work of it all.

It's going to be a great boost alright. And toll free so we have that choice. I know which road I will be on though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

Mullinavat lake Interchange 29/06/09

3681606476_ed761a63af.jpg

3680792265_0ce659031e.jpg

About 4km south on the same scheme
    3680791309_b652626857.jpg

Munurty wrote: »
    Mullinavat lake Interchange 29/06/09

Wow doesn't bode well for October opening.
    Also hope they improve the drainage or that section will be a death trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Still a lake? I can't see them having that open by October, but in fairness, when they start targeting a section, they seem to do it in jig time.

Anyone got any idea how long that unbuilt section is? I was up at Mullinavat a while ago and I'd swear that I could see practically completed sections both to the north and to the south.

Nice to see that the lines are down on the southbound bit too... and that it's an unbroken yellow line! Pity the N25 bypass isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Its not just the road around the Mulinavat junction that is at this stage of construction, its from Mulinavat to McBrides scrapyard near Hugginstown. Probably about 5-6 km. There is more change of Knocktopher to Danesfort being open by the end of this year than there is for the Knocktopher to Waterford section.

My views are my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

johnbk wrote: »
    Its not just the road around the Mulinavat junction that is at this stage of construction, its from Mulinavat to McBrides scrapyard near Hugginstown. Probably about 5-6 km. There is more change of Knocktopher to Danesfort being open by the end of this year than there is for the Knocktopher to Waterford section.

Here's a reply I got from the NRA last week with regard to finishing date for this section

===================================================
    Dear Mr. XXXXX, it is expected that the Waterford to Knocktopher section will be completed before the end of the year, however, we do not have a specific date / month yet.

Regards
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sorry for delay, took a while to get Nokia PC Suite back working. Only took a couple using the phone, turned out okay considering!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sorry for delay, took a while to get Nokia PC Suite back working. Only took a couple using the phone, turned out okay considering!

Thanks for the photos, but could you explain what they are of?

serfboard wrote: »
    Thanks for the photos, but could you explain what they are of?

It looks like its the Grannagh Junction on the N25 Waterford Bypass

3704371610_9096dd50e1_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Munurty wrote: »
    It looks like its the Grannagh Junction on the N25 Waterford Bypass
    Thanks. That is a savage photo you've included.

Had a good look at the road this evening. It was more advanced than I had expected.

Heres some photos taken from the air between the Danesfort Junction and Waterford this evening. Its a pity I didn't have a better camera with me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/munurty/sets/72157621062068401/

Brill pics Munurty, well done and thank you. Those bits in between around Mullinavat appear quite small compared to how they appear on the ground. 90% I would estimate of the road is completed from what I can see there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

excellent pictures Munurty. I was getting worried that the opening would be delayed right into next year, but it looks like it might still be this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing them. They show clearly what is done and what is not. Im convinced that by the time Knocktopher to Waterford is ready to be open, Dansford to Knocktopher will be too. It looks like Mullinavat to Waterford is finished, lined and all. The bit in the middle looks so far behind. :-(

My views are my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

With thanks to Munurty once again... these pictures are absolutely brilliant. This is my favourite. It shows the entire Waterford end of the N9 coming out from the city centre, through the Newrath roundabout, through the new Grannagh interchange where it crosses the new N25, and out to the new Quarry roundabout where the M9 begins as a motorway and also where the N24 will terminate in the future.

Not only that, but it's a great view of the river Suir and the west side of the city.

Amazing stuff... hats off once again!

3705487594_fd56322cf4_b.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement