Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Munurty wrote: »
    Yep, taken and uploaded on monday the 17th of August
    I'll try get some photo's up tonight from about 2 km north of this point - a bit of action going on at Crobally and Knockmoylan.

I should add - weather permitting and it aint now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭placard

Is the Mullinavat section the only part that looks like this?

Would be great if it was open this year along with the kilcullen to Carlow section!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

placard wrote: »
    Is the Mullinavat section the only part that looks like this?
    Would be great if it was open this year along with the kilcullen to Carlow section!

Spoke to project office yesterday and they are still saying end November or early December for Waterford - Knocktopher. They also said it would open at the same time as new bridge.

Word on the N25 Waterford bypass thread is that it's "Officially" open early October. Given the Mullinavat section is very short could a grand opening be on the cards that early?!!!

Third quarter 2010 was the original deadline for all of the motorways so including the Knocktopher to Carlow section first quarter 2010 is good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Word on the N25 Waterford bypass thread is that it's "Officially" open early October. Given the Mullinavat section is very short could a grand opening be on the cards that early?!!!

Phase II of the M9/N10 in fact runs from Waterford to Knocktopher, about 26 km, so it's not quite so short. November/December seems to be the prediction here.

• Advertisement

mfitzy wrote: »
    Phase II of the M9/N10 in fact runs from Waterford to Knocktopher, about 26 km, so it's not quite so short. November/December seems to be the prediction here.
    I was referring to the Mullinavat junction and not the whole 26k when I said short! :)

Looking at Munurtys pics from a while back you would expect an opening allot earlier then December.. wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

I'd say they would like to open it at the same time as the Waterford City Bypass as the can say the WCB was opened almost a year ahead of schedule while conveniently ignoring that the Waterford - Knocktopher section was due to open Spring 2009, which will be a good 6 to 9 months behind schedule.

I was referring to the Mullinavat junction and not the whole 26k when I said short! :)

Looking at Munurtys pics from a while back you would expect an opening allot earlier then December.. wouldn't you?

Oh I understand now, silly me :D. Yes indeed, it is a very short section to be finished. Pity BAM would not show some urgency in finishing it off. There's another short section North of Mullinavat that was in a similar unfinished state. After that the road seems 95% finished.
    I think it's such a pity that after spending 100s of millions of taxpayers money on a major project that an effort is not made to get it on stream as soon as possible and delivering dividends for the econonmy in competitveness and efficiency of doing business.

Had a look on the nra site and bam civil are contracted for Waterford - knocktopher section.
    I checked out their web page for info and the scheme isn't even on it!!!

The Waterford bypass is though ;)

Had a look on the nra site and bam civil are contracted for Waterford - knocktopher section.
    I checked out their web page for info and the scheme isn't even on it!!!

The Waterford bypass is though ;)

I thought it used be mentioned somewhere...though their website does not seem to be properly updated in years. Last time I checked it had info on the N11 Rathnew; must be open at least 5 years at this stage.

Not surprised though. Pity they never kept up their initial momentum on the project.Their work rate for the past 18 months has been very dissapointing from my observation. In total contrast to the Carlow bypass which was delivered well ahead of schedule. Whether it was funding or what, I don't know. It started way back in Feb 2007. Almost three years which is just crazy in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Has there been much going on down on those unfinished section north/neart Mullinavat the past few weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

From AA Roadwatch [21/08/2009 13:54:12]:
    Kildare - From approx 9pm on Wed 2nd Sept, a contra-flow system will be in place on the N9 Waterford/Dublin Rd for works

It will be in place until the end of January 2010 at the Kilcullen Interchange. Northbound N9 traffic headed for Kilcullen and Athy and those coming from the two towns will take the newly constructed road; N9/N78 link road. All new layouts will be signposted. A 60km/h speed limit will be in place throughout the works.

Does this mean it won't open until the end of January 2010?

NedNew wrote: »

Possibly, but I just cannot see that work taking that long, there is actually not a fierce lot of work involved in the tie in. I mean, the major structure, i.e. the flyover/ interchange has been in place since circa 1994!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

on the way to dublin this morning they had part of the contra flow in.
    on the northbound lane, the bollards and cones were up so for the first 2km of the m9 north only one lane was usable.
    also the new link road was lined yesterday and as above is ready to use, just need to move the barriers.
    i hope it doesnt take 5 months.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Possibly, but I just cannot see that work taking that long, there is actually not a fierce lot of work involved in the tie in. I mean, the major structure, i.e. the flyover/ interchange has been in place since circa 1994!

never underestimate the intricacies of tie-ins........to the untrained eye they look straight forward but ask any civil engineer who has worked on them, there could be services to divert, working restrictions imposed by local authorities (purely guessing of course) and other stuff

Road-Hog wrote: »
    never underestimate the intricacies of tie-ins........to the untrained eye they look straight forward but ask any civil engineer who has worked on them, there could be services to divert, working restrictions imposed by local authorities (purely guessing of course) and other stuff

Don't worry I wouldn't, but this particular one involves joining up a new and existing piece of motorway...No junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

NedNew wrote: »

I suspect Roadbridge are covering themselves in case of any delays. They have told me they expect the tie-in to take 8 to 10 weeks to complete (this being week 1), but that they "generally finish more quickly than they allow for in planning".

On a different note, the Kilkenny-New Ross road is to close for a whole 2 months. Repairs to the Mountgarret Bridge at New Ross;
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSS_Roads_Notices/NoticeofRoadClosureR700ThomastowntoNewRossroadatFerrymountgarrettBridgejunctionofR700withN30from10Septo6Novincl.shortcut.html

I'm sure the works are pretty urgent, especially given recent events at Malahide! But could they not have waited 'til the M9 was open? Or heaven forbid get the contractor to get a move on and actually finish it!

I suspect Roadbridge are covering themselves in case of any delays. They have told me they expect the tie-in to take 8 to 10 weeks to complete (this being week 1), but that they "generally finish more quickly than they allow for in planning".

Me too, I just cannot see it lasting for 5 months. 8-10 weeks sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 diarmaid2

Has there been much going on down on those unfinished section north/neart Mullinavat the past few weeks?

Was up near Mullinavat to-day for the first time in a couple of weeks. It seems that they've finally got a handle on the excess water problem. Looks like excavation is progressing at a slow but steady pace. Still looks a long way off an end of year completion to me though.

• Advertisement

I think we can expect significant traffic problems during the tie-in phase at the Kilcullen interchange. Particularly in two areas;

1. Joining the M9 heading to Dublin. Firstly, there is now a "STOP" in place at the end of the slip road joining the motorway which means traffic can't filter on to the motorway but has to wait until a gap opens up. Gaps are rare between 7.30am and 9.00am on that stretch. As this is where the main Athy traffic joins the Dublin bound traffic it will be backed up.

2. Coming from Kilcullen/Newbridge heading south to Carlow. The new link road opening this evening will replace the current exit ramp heading south from Kilcullen (maybe not immediately though). Where the link road joins the N9 southbound traffic will have to cross the north-bound traffic to get into the southbound lane. From experience I know you can sit for 5 minutes or more waiting to do this as you have to find a gap across two lanes which is very difficult at peak times. Again traffic is likely to back up significantly.

If you can avoid either of these junctions at peak times during this phase it will no doubt save you a lot of time. I can't avoid them so hopefully I'm wrong!

your spot on there star spangler.
    yesterday there when i got onto the slip for going m9 north there were at least 10 cars waiting and this morning there were around 15 cars waiting, and people hesitating.
    hopefully when they put m9 south bound traffic onto the m9 north lane 2 and move the m9 north bound traffic to lane one they remove the stop sign, or at least remove the near 90 degree angled junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

On a different note, the Kilkenny-New Ross road is to close for a whole 2 months. Repairs to the Mountgarret Bridge at New Ross;
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSS_Roads_Notices/NoticeofRoadClosureR700ThomastowntoNewRossroadatFerrymountgarrettBridgejunctionofR700withN30from10Septo6Novincl.shortcut.html

I'm sure the works are pretty urgent, especially given recent events at Malahide! But could they not have waited 'til the M9 was open? Or heaven forbid get the contractor to get a move on and actually finish it!

This was closed before for repairs, about 10 years ago and within a year the bridge was as bad as ever again. Apparently it is a protected structure so it can't be replaced. Who knows if it will be repaired properly this time around, I doubt it.

I agree that they should have waited until the M9 Waterford to Knocktopher opened, then it would be a quick enough journey across to Mullinavat from New Ross. The surface is seriously bad on the bridge at the moment though.

Two months is a long time and it means that people living on the other side of the bridge (KK side) will have to make about a 30km diversion or more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

rameire wrote: »
    your spot on there star spangler.
    yesterday there when i got onto the slip for going m9 north there were at least 10 cars waiting and this morning there were around 15 cars waiting, and people hesitating.
    hopefully when they put m9 south bound traffic onto the m9 north lane 2 and move the m9 north bound traffic to lane one they remove the stop sign, or at least remove the near 90 degree angled junction.

I would have been one of those drivers who didn't let you out, sorry.
    You're afraid to leave a small gap cause you anticipate someone making a jump for it.
    Serious squeaky bum time coming up to those cars that are looking to filter in.
    I still can't see why they have closed the left northbound lane that far up the motorway.
    Are they going to resurface the existing M9 as they do the tie-in ?.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I would have been one of those drivers who didn't let you out, sorry.
    You're afraid to leave a small gap cause you anticipate someone making a jump for it.
    Serious squeaky bum time coming up to those cars that are looking to filter in.
    I still can't see why they have closed the left northbound lane that far up the motorway.
    Are they going to resurface the existing M9 as they do the tie-in ?.

dont be sorry, it didnt bother me, anyway you have the right of way.

in regards the cones on the northbound carriage way, from this evening and definately from tomorrow morning,
    both nothbound and southbound traffic travelling along the m9 will be using the northbound carriageway.
    so northbound will move to lane one and southbound will be directed onto lane two, in a contra flow system from just south of the kilcullen junction to 2.5km north of the junction to where the crash barrier was removed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

I can see this being a mess locally for a few months, especially as all of the newbridge-athy/carlow traffic will now be using the Sunnyhill shortcut.
    There have been 4 crashes on one particular bend (every property has had it's fences and walls damaged), and the rate is bound to increase as everyone will be racing to avoid the queues!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Well one thing I will say, aswell as there being traffic delays there will more than likely be an accident at some stage (but hopefully not)

The other day I joined the M9 at Killcullen heading to Dublin , obviousily traffic does have the right of way already on the M9,
    But the limit of 60Kph is there for a reason now being single lane.
    While I was queueing up behind about 6 cars to join the M9, a 40ft truck nearly took a car out of it that was trying to join the motorway
    The truck was doing well over the limit in the single lane 2 seconds earlier and there wouldn't have been much left of the car....:eek:

If you're going to Kilcullen/Newbridge and you miss the turn-off on the new link road it will cost you a 23km detour as the next opportunity to get turned is at the first Naas exit (B&Q)!!!

Speaking of accidents I noticed a "boy" racer (he would have been about 30) overtaking coming round the bend on the new link road last night.

If you're going to Kilcullen/Newbridge and you miss the turn-off on the new link road it will cost you a 23km detour as the next opportunity to get turned is at the first Naas exit (B&Q)!!!

Speaking of accidents I noticed a "boy" racer (he would have been about 30) overtaking coming round the bend on the new link road last night.

well you could use the crossover on the m9, just before the underpass to the m7.
    but id say if you missed the turn off for the link road, your more than likely not to know of the cross over.

Junction of m9 north and m9 north slip was working a bit better today also.
    the junction isnt at 90 degrees since the contra flow is in operation.

i could see a crash happening on the south bound carriage way just as the cones divert all traffic into one lane.
    as the m9 currently is just 3 large bends, on the second bend the cones jump out at you, even though there is 2km of warning.
    saw a car nearly go under a truck at this point.

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »
    well you could use the crossover on the m9, just before the underpass to the m7.
    but id say if you missed the turn off for the link road, your more than likely not to know of the cross over.

Don't let the Guards catch you using that!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement