Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Don't let the Guards catch you using that!!
    +1

Only an absolute lunatic of a fool would try to use that dirt track to cross to the other carriageway.
    a) It's uphill from the northbound to southbound and probably only accessible by 4x4.
    b) I believe the north bound end is also covered by the traffic camera monitoring the tunnel.
    c) And if you do get up it, it's potentially suicidal and murderous trying to get back onto the south bound carriageway as you have to cross the overtaking lane right in the middle a high speed bend with traffic coming at full pelt after leaving the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

NedNew wrote: »
    This was closed before for repairs, about 10 years ago and within a year the bridge was as bad as ever again. Apparently it is a protected structure so it can't be replaced. Who knows if it will be repaired properly this time around, I doubt it.

I agree that they should have waited until the M9 Waterford to Knocktopher opened, then it would be a quick enough journey across to Mullinavat from New Ross. The surface is seriously bad on the bridge at the moment though.

Two months is a long time and it means that people living on the other side of the bridge (KK side) will have to make about a 30km diversion or more.

Unfortunately, logical thinking was never Kilkenny Coco's forte. If only one or two of the many geniuses they employ could sugeest that hey, maybe it might make sense to do the repairs after the M9 opens. I'm sure it could wait til maybe the Spring :confused:

slimjimmc wrote: »
    +1

Only an absolute lunatic of a fool would try to use that dirt track to cross to the other carriageway.
    a) It's uphill from the northbound to southbound and probably only accessible by 4x4.
    b) I believe the north bound end is also covered by the traffic camera monitoring the tunnel.
    c) And if you do get up it, it's potentially suicidal and murderous trying to get back onto the south bound carriageway as you have to cross the overtaking lane right in the middle a high speed bend with traffic coming at full pelt after leaving the M7.

I've seen a guy do it before, years ago, soon after it opened. I fail to see the logic/advantage in doing it :confused:. Road is far busier now, it would be lethal imo.

Took a drive to see the new M9 south of Kilkenny. To be honest, I could not see much at all.
    Firstly, gantries for signs are visible at Danefort junction now.
    Down near Hugginstown, one side of the road has had lines and painting installed. Could not see any further down as the local road is still closed off further south.
    Some more work done around Mullinavat, and still lots to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

was looking just now at a link posted a few months ago on the Thompsons website showing the new Nore river bridge being constructed- http://www.thompson.ie/structural-division/structural-portfolio/bridges2.htm The concrete supports sure look dainty for such a big structure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mfitzy wrote: »
    Firstly, gantries for signs are visible at Danefort junction now.

Saw that today. That, and the concrete barrier going all the way up to the Danesfort bridge, seems to indicate that Knocktopher-Danesfort will open together with the Waterford-Knocktopher section.

fricatus wrote: »
    Saw that today. That, and the concrete barrier going all the way up to the Danesfort bridge, seems to indicate that Knocktopher-Danesfort will open together with the Waterford-Knocktopher section.

Would seem that way alright and it makes most sense to do this. We'll have to wait and see, not like info is very forthcoming from Kilkenny coco or anyhting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Would seem that way alright and it makes most sense to do this. We'll have to wait and see, not like info is very forthcoming from Kilkenny coco or anyhting :rolleyes:

They are when you ask. Not very clear though.

Original Message
    Sent: 03 September 2009 12:40

We are hoping to open before Xmas this year but it is weather dependant.
    We should have a definitive answer by the end of this month.

JOE GANNON
    Project Coordinator

Original Message
    Sent: 03 September 2009 11:54
    To: Joe Gannon

Is the road from Waterford to knocktopher on schedule for completion oct/nov?

Original Message
    Sent: 24 March 2009 09:35

Waterford to Knocktopher should open in the autumn this year while the rest should be ready by Autumn 2010.

JOE GANNON
    Project Coordinator

Original Message
    Sent: 24 March 2009 09:32

can you tell me when the road from waterford to knocktopher will be complete? and on to kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

dougal wrote: »

JOE GANNON
    Project Coordinator

Better than nothing! We'll ask him at the end of the month. Thanks Dougal (and Joe Gannon)!

I noticed myself over the past few days that there's plenty of activity going on up either site of the big viaduct there at Lukeswell.

They are when you ask. Not very clear though.

Original Message
    Sent: 03 September 2009 12:40

JOE GANNON
    Project Coordinator

Original Message
    Sent: 03 September 2009 11:54
    To: Joe Gannon

Is the road from Waterford to knocktopher on schedule for completion oct/nov?

Original Message
    Sent: 24 March 2009 09:35

Waterford to Knocktopher should open in the autumn this year while the rest should be ready by Autumn 2010.

JOE GANNON
    Project Coordinator

Original Message
    Sent: 24 March 2009 09:32

can you tell me when the road from waterford to knocktopher will be complete? and on to kilkenny?

Thanks for that Dougal...weather dependent my arse though. I know it has been awful but this has been going on for over 2 years ffs!
    Not commiting either way I see really. A lot of maybes I think!
    I don't think we should have to go asking/chasing for answers. There's more than enough staff over in John Street and in BAM ltd that should be updating us regularly; it is OUR taxpayers money after being spent and we deserve value for it :). Just my opinion anyhow!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Dougal...weather dependent my arse though. I know it has been awful but this has been going on for over 2 years ffs!
    Not commiting either way I see really. A lot of maybes I think!
    I don't think we should have to go asking/chasing for answers. There's more than enough staff over in John Street and in BAM ltd that should be updating us regularly; it is OUR taxpayers money after being spent and we deserve value for it :). Just my opinion anyhow!

I agree with you on both points - there should be more updates and we still don't know what is happening.
    This scheme looks to possibly go 12 months over ( basing this on the signs saying completion Spring 2009 ), are there incentives or penalties to get projects done on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

I agree with you on both points - there should be more updates and we still don't know what is happening.
    This scheme looks to possibly go 12 months over ( basing this on the signs saying completion Spring 2009 ), are there incentives or penalties to get projects done on time?

It will open I bet with the Danesford section of the Knocktopher to Carlow Scheme and as thaa section will be ahead of schedule, by some miracle they will declare that the "whole project (Waterford to Danesford) opened ahead of schedule and under budget"

Road closures still ongoing, I presume this is near Mullinavat somewhere, hope they get on with it. Should surely be the last of such closures;
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSS_Roads_Notices/NoticeofTempRoadClosureCrowballyLS8270partoffrom5Octforaperiodof3wks.shortcut.html

Saw wearing course going down yesterday just south of the overbridge at the Priory pub, 2 lanes done but the road curves around so i didn't see how far it goes on for. The tie in at kilcullen is making great progress too, old surface is removed and they are raising the level of the southbound carriageway. The traffic layout seems to be working well to, though im part of the n/m9 traffic, not n78

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Any more Nore bridge pics floating about? Someone needs to get out there with a camera, its quite a structure.

Roryhy wrote: »
    Saw wearing course going down yesterday just south of the overbridge at the Priory pub, 2 lanes done but the road curves around so i didn't see how far it goes on for. The tie in at kilcullen is making great progress too, old surface is removed and they are raising the level of the southbound carriageway. The traffic layout seems to be working well to, though im part of the n/m9 traffic, not n78

Another very well managed road project by Roadbridge; not surprising at all. They are doing an excellent job with disruption and dirt kept to a minimum. In contrast to BAM/Ascons efforts further south :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

Roryhy wrote: »

I walked over to the tie-in yesterday and had a good look at it. What was interesting once you're standing on it is that you can see that 4/5ths of the tie-in can be completed without changing the current traffic layout. They have been busy and were even working on it on Saturday which would indicate that they are pushing on. I've only seen Roadbridge working the very odd Saturday over the last year or so.

When you drive past the tie in works, you might notice a large pile of black gravel on what used to be the soutbound carriageway. This gravel will be used to construct a ramp up onto and down off the new motorway during the final 1/5th of the tie-in with the N9 traffic being moved over to the opposite side of the road to where it's running along at the moment.

The new traffic flow has been working relatively okay except for two pinch points. 1. Coming off the new link-road onto the N78 in the morning can take some time. 2. Coming off the new link-road onto the N9 in the evening likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

i will get pics this week of the tie in.
    was meant to do it last week, only got one or two and battery died.
    have a new toy for clamping the camera to the bike so will get the new motorway on video when its open.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

Took a few aerial pics of the M9 south of Kilkenny this evening. They're pretty poor pics but give an idea of progress.

3897268148_2d3dd25354.jpg
    Mulinavat interchange

Flickr Photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Thanks very much for those great pics, Munurty! :)

• Advertisement

I second that, its not the first time you've given us nice pics to look at, appreciate it, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

Great pics, Munurty, as always. Much appreciated.
    You must have just avoided the rain and low cloud this evening.

Thanks again Munurty. We all really appreciate the time and effort you make to take these pics for us to enjoy and keep us updated. Far better than any rubbish attempt at a newsletter/update from the 'Council. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

Munurty wrote: »
    Took a few aerial pics of the M9 south of Kilkenny this evening. They're pretty poor pics but give an idea of progress.

3897268148_2d3dd25354.jpg
    Mulinavat interchange

Flickr Photos

If that's as far as they are I can't see them being ready before the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

Yes it certainly looks more and more like they (Ascon/Bam) will miss yet another deadline - Spring 2009, then Q3 2009, what next Q4 2010?

Bards wrote: »
    Yes it certainly looks more and more like they (Ascon/Bam) will miss yet another deadline - Spring 2009, then Q3 2009, what next Q4 2010?

If "arsing around" were an Olympic sport I reckon we'd have a great medal chance with them ;). The "weather" seems to be the usual scapegoat.

The "weather" seems to be the usual scapegoat.

Lucky for Roadbridge they don't have to worry about the same weather it seems!!
    Much better weather north of Knocktopher!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

It looks from Munurty's earlier pictures the section from Knocktopher up to the Carlow bypass is actually ahead of that Mullinavat section. Unbelievable that they are still shifting earth around. Who can be overseeing the project to allow a section to drift so far behind.

Anyway, more signs were being put up on the Kilmeadan roundabout this morning. Maybe they will open the Waterford Bypass before Christmas and leave the M9 to Knocktopher for a seperate opening. Somehow I find the opening of the Waterford bypass much less exciting than opening sections of M9( don't mean to sound ungrateful, though!). Maybe it has to do with 20 years of the absolute pain and frustration the drive to Dublin entails.

tramor wrote: »
    Somehow I find the opening of the Waterford bypass much less exciting than opening sections of M9( don't mean to sound ungrateful, though!). Maybe it has to do with 20 years of the absolute pain and frustration the drive to Dublin entails.

Well either way it will be history in matter of months now anyhow. How many months exactly is anyones guess. We had these delays before with the Kilkenny ring road a few years back. IMO there should be a National Roads Building Authority with minimal Council involvements. Streamline the whole thing and avoid have multiple Councils involved. Only leads to inefficiencies and mindless delays such as this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Well either way it will be history in matter of months now anyhow. How many months exactly is anyones guess. We had these delays before with the Kilkenny ring road a few years back. IMO there should be a National Roads Building Authority with minimal Council involvements. Streamline the whole thing and avoid have multiple Councils involved. Only leads to inefficiencies and mindless delays such as this one.

I think we have what you are calling for already i.e. the NRA........the councils are only involved in the statutory procedures such as CPO, oral hearings etc......once construction starts the programme for completion is the contractors total responsibility :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement