Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I think we have what you are calling for already i.e. the NRA........the councils are only involved in the statutory procedures such as CPO, oral hearings etc......once construction starts the programme for completion is the contractors total responsibility :D

I thought the Councils had a bigger role, but I will stand corrected. You're right though in that case, last thing we need is another quango!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I think we have what you are calling for already i.e. the NRA........the councils are only involved in the statutory procedures such as CPO, oral hearings etc......once construction starts the programme for completion is the contractors total responsibility :D

not 100% correct as the council will appoint it's own consultant to act as go between the contractor and the council itself to make sure services are re-routed I.E Gas, Water Electricity, roads closures etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Bards wrote: »
    not 100% correct as the council will appoint it's own consultant to act as go between the contractor and the council itself to make sure services are re-routed I.E Gas, Water Electricity, roads closures etc.

I think the resident engineering staff representing the NRA on the site would look after the majority of things you mention, only in exceptional circumstances would there be an ESB/Water/Road Diversion significant enough to warrant the appointment of an independent consultant , plus these type of diverions etc would rarely be on the critical path of the project programme.

I'd be farily confident that the slippage in the Mullinavat area is down to Ascon/BAM's project management ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

some pics on their way, and a small video if i can work out how to load and post.
    and star spangler, if its yours i think you need to take in your green bin.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

Excellent Rameire, I'm looking forward to those. I was actually going to ask this evening did you get any.

• Advertisement

pics from the 9th sept and a couple from the 1st sept.
    for n9 / n78 kilcullen area. click on pics or link for rest of pics
    9th sept
    3904654074_77a807161f_b.jpg ....................... 1st sept 3903854793_24990e24ab.jpg

flickrrrrrr september set of pics

video attached was taken today on the bike, so sorry bout the noise.
    starts off from a side road on the current N9, behind me 300 meters back is the bridge shown in many of the photos i have taken which spans the new m9. I join the N9 going north and slip off to the left onto the new N9 which terminates at the N78.

that is tremendous progress in just one week. Roadbridge really do rip into the work!! It does'nt look like there is a lot of electrics, water mains etc. being tied in, but maybe that comes after the major earth works and before the tar goes down. Judging by those pictures the origional time schedule of 8-10 weeks looks very realistic. Thanks for the photos and video, Rameire. It's the only way to keep up to date on progress.

your welcome.
    the guys were working when i was there from 5.30 till 6 this evening.
    flying up and down with dumper loads of hard core for the tie in, think there were 4 dumpers working at the time.

also just before the kilcullen junction going south bound, they were installing the metal work for new road signage.
    they all seem determined at their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

This may be of interest to you all (As an indicator)

http://www.kildare.ie/community/notices/sports/10k_crookstown_motorway_run.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

rameire wrote: »
    some pics on their way, and a small video if i can work out how to load and post.
    and star spangler, if its yours i think you need to take in your green bin.

It's in now. :D

tramor wrote: »
    It does'nt look like there is a lot of electrics, water mains etc. being tied in, but maybe that comes after the major earth works and before the tar goes down.

I think that was all done at the end of the new motorway a few months ago. Certainly phones, electric and water mains were done then as we were affected on each of these at that time. If you look at that end when you pass it you should notice the new telegraph poles etc. Therefore, it seems to be a straight forward join-up job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Maybe they will open the Waterford Bypass before Christmas and leave the M9 to Knocktopher for a seperate opening. Somehow I find the opening of the Waterford bypass much less exciting than opening sections of M9( don't mean to sound ungrateful, though!). Maybe it has to do with 20 years of the absolute pain and frustration the drive to Dublin entails.
    Eh? The Waterford bypass is opening in 14 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

spacetweek wrote: »
    The Waterford bypass is opening in 14 days.

Really? That's excellent news.

Could you provide a link to somewhere this was said?

Not a chance of the WCB opening in 14 days. more like End of October. Lousy weather played a part in it being delayed as it was due to open with the hosting of the Balooning Championships being held week begining 21st

rameire wrote: »
    your welcome.
    the guys were working when i was there from 5.30 till 6 this evening.
    flying up and down with dumper loads of hard core for the tie in, think there were 4 dumpers working at the time.

also just before the kilcullen junction going south bound, they were installing the metal work for new road signage.
    they all seem determined at their work.

The dumpers were working at 7am today (Saturday). There's a lot of overtime being done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

M9 4km north of the Carlow bypass 9th September

And at the northern end - not so advanced (this is a few K south of Kilcullen)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

Bards wrote: »
    Not a chance of the WCB opening in 14 days. more like End of October. Lousy weather played a part in it being delayed as it was due to open with the hosting of the Balooning Championships being held week begining 21st

(at a guess) shouldn't it all be safety reports and landscaping at this stage ,so weather shouldn't really have much to do with it at all really.

More news from the Northern front:

This is the Athy link road (9 September) close to the town. Looks like the mainline between Kilcullen and the Carlow bypass will open before the link road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Right well myself and stick-dan started at Grannagh and then headed to Mulinavat. Our plan is to go as far as Carlow at least over the next week or so.

We got asked to leave when heading towards the bridge (for the bypass) as they were working on it. Mulinavat has a LOT of work. They are pumping out the water that lies beneath the surface and the only stretch with tarmac needs additional layers, the media, lights (if required), linining etc. Though, they have created a lay-by on the mulinavat stretch - didnt expect to see that.

See them all here: http://pix.ie/sully/album/354601

5614019E77504E32965C6554DFDDFC8F-500.jpg

22B5FAA36C914A17BF72AF1BAA4749F7-500.jpg

250C9F36D63940C98D323201A0BFDC9D-500.jpg

786744A2461B4E0FB7F489CEB25BB0F9-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Great pics there,shame to see so much work left in the Mullinavat area.

Just on this pic at the Grannagh junction roundabout:
    http://pix.ie/sully/1220035/in/album/354601
    I would have expected some M9 signage, have they got some of the signage wrong there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We didnt go very far once we got up there, just down as far as the railway bridge. Dans battery was running low and he wanted photos of the bridge before anything else - where we were sadly asked to leave. So we moved on towards other parts and plan on completing the above another day (also the toll bridge, looks different from older photos).

From what I could see, there was no other signage about.

I have photos from the B&Q enterance to the bridge from sometime ago here:
    http://pix.ie/sully/album/336622

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Really? That's excellent news.

Could you provide a link to somewhere this was said?

Sorry BluntGuy, seems the guys are right - now it's the 20th Oct, not Sep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Even the 20th October date I'm not so sure about. I need to see some concrete proof, because when I rang the site office, they gave no indication that they were aiming for this date. Now, of course, I reckon an engineer on the ground could give a better opinion than she could've, but it still means we have nothing official.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Some nice new shots have been uploaded to the M9's wikipedia page by wiki editor Sarah777: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M9_motorway_%28Ireland%29#Future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

Do you think the stretch that bypasses Kilmeaden could be opened sooner? Signs and all that are up now and it looks to be very nearly done.

Bit confused here :confused:.

Kilmeaden bypass is the N25, not the M9? Which is opening when? I'd suggest the Kilcullen to Carlow stretch of the M9 will open within 6 months; apart from that I'm confused.

Thanks for the photos, Sully. Re. the bypass, It looks to me that this might not open this side of Christmas, not to mention Oct 20th. One of those photos seems to show the foundations of a bridge structure (the one of the hole in the ground with all the re-bar). Even if I'm wrong about that there seems to be quite a lot of finishing work to be done on other parts also, around the Grannagh roundabout, and that work always seems to take a surprising amount of time.
    Re. the earthworks at Mullinavat. They seem to have a lot of dump trucks working on that section, but just from memory, motorways at that stage take ages to finish. I'd be afraid to even hazard a guess as to when this section might be completed!
    Is there any chance they are slowing down the Southern sections until the more Northern sections are completed in order to avoid traffic chaos in Knocktopher etc. or is it just terrible project management. Apologies in advance for being so depressing!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the photos, Sully. Re. the bypass, It looks to me that this might not open this side of Christmas, not to mention Oct 20th. One of those photos seems to show the foundations of a bridge structure (the one of the hole in the ground with all the re-bar). Even if I'm wrong about that there seems to be quite a lot of finishing work to be done on other parts also, around the Grannagh roundabout, and that work always seems to take a surprising amount of time.
    Re. the earthworks at Mullinavat. They seem to have a lot of dump trucks working on that section, but just from memory, motorways at that stage take ages to finish. I'd be afraid to even hazard a guess as to when this section might be completed!
    Is there any chance they are slowing down the Southern sections until the more Northern sections are completed in order to avoid traffic chaos in Knocktopher etc. or is it just terrible project management. Apologies in advance for being so depressing!

All Structures for N25 WCB are more or less complete apart from finishing touches, AFAIK this is on schedule for completion end of Oct 2009

M9 Waterford to Kncoktopher (Phase 2 of Waterford Dublin MIU) still has a big question mark hanging over it to be complete by years end. Judging from the photos around Mulinavat, I would say Q1 2010 is more realistic at this stage, that's a full 12 months behind the original target completion date of spring 2009 - Very bad showing from a civil engineering firm as large as Bam, who should have put more manpower/plant once they saw the date slipping away

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement