Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

New/temp layout seems to be working OK from the few times I have passed through. Though that was outside of rush hour so hard to judge fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

duffman13 wrote: »
    Anyone got the dates when the Kilcullen to Carlow section is due to open looks fairly ready bar the slip roads.

Roadbridge say they are aiming for late November but it will probably be a little earlier - in my experience they try not to over-promise.

tramor wrote: »
    Thanks, Rameire. I drove past on Saturday morning and thought the dark surface was tar. I could only see it just over the mounds of earth, and had to keep one eye on the road. Needless to say I could hardly believe progress was so rapid in just one week. Still, hardcore down is very rapid progress. Keep the photos coming!

The complete surfacing of the southbound side should be done this week (if they stick to schedule).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭placard

What kind of traffic management plan do they have for when they have to do the north bound section of the tie-in? :confused:

placard wrote: »
    What kind of traffic management plan do they have for when they have to do the north bound section of the tie-in? :confused:

The only change is that the n9/m9 traffic will switch to the new soutbound lane at the temporary ramp (which is currently being completed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

The only change is that the n9/m9 traffic will switch to the new soutbound lane at the temporary ramp (which is currently being completed).

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

makes sence now.
    will bring camera tomorrow
    and hopefully they start laying the Mr T mac.
    the hard core looks like it has had another layer.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

MYOB wrote: »
    admittedly, if Navteq or Tele-Atlas let you directly modify their DB they'd get POIs of "yore ma" placed everywhere, roads that don't exist put in by crayon fantasists, etc, etc.

And yet, OSM is very rarely troubled by such incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mackerski wrote: »
    And yet, OSM is very rarely troubled by such incidents.

Neither was Wikipedia in its first few years. Also, the risks of having even *one* POI of "YORE MA!!!" in the maps means that Navteq/TeleAtlas can never risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

MYOB wrote: »
    Neither was Wikipedia in its first few years. Also, the risks of having even *one* POI of "YORE MA!!!" in the maps means that Navteq/TeleAtlas can never risk it.

The wikipedia example is the important one here. Despite being open to both defacement and muppet contributors, it still manages to be a useful resource. Crowd sourcing does come at a price, but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

any chance of getting back on topic????? Really don't want to see this thread going off in a tangent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

Rain, hail or shine I'm going to stop the car, get out and kiss the road when it finally opens.

No more getting stuck behind tractors, trailers and old grannies going 60 kph..... no more crawling through Castledermot looking at the deserted retail units etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I've noticed that there are a number of new signs up now on the Newrath roundabout and along the new dual carriageway in towards the city centre.

If you look at the one coming in the way just after the level crossing at the Redbridge service station, you can make out the destinations that are still covered over, i.e. Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Rosslare. However the Dublin one still says N9 rather than M9.

I know the M9 won't be open for a few months yet, but you'd have thought they'd get the signage right for the way it will be in early 2010 and just patch over the bits that aren't correct yet.

Are they just going to replace those massive signs (a waste of money when there's little enough of it around), or is there some way they can pop out a panel and put M9 up there instead?

fricatus wrote: »
    I've noticed that there are a number of new signs up now on the Newrath roundabout and along the new dual carriageway in towards the city centre.

If you look at the one coming in the way just after the level crossing at the Redbridge service station, you can make out the destinations that are still covered over, i.e. Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Rosslare. However the Dublin one still says N9 rather than M9.

I know the M9 won't be open for a few months yet, but you'd have thought they'd get the signage right for the way it will be in early 2010 and just patch over the bits that aren't correct yet.

Are they just going to replace those massive signs (a waste of money when there's little enough of it around), or is there some way they can pop out a panel and put M9 up there instead?

I imagine that the M9 wou't actually start from the Quarry road roundabout as this link road is being built as part of the N25 WC Bypass, but will start near dunkitt from where the Waterford - Knocktopher section of the M9 starts.

that way the NRA can say the Motorway is not ending at a r/a but at a GSJ

symantics I know but..................

Bards wrote: »
    I imagine that the M9 wou't actually start from the Quarry road roundabout as this link road is being built as part of the N25 WC Bypass, but will start near dunkitt from where the Waterford - Knocktopher section of the M9 starts.

No, it has to start at the Quarry roundabout because there's nowhere until Mullinavat where non-motoway traffic can exit.

Bards wrote: »
    that way the NRA can say the Motorway is not ending at a r/a but at a GSJ

symantics I know but..................

Well I wouldn't put it past any government body to engage in sophistry and messing around with semantics to look better, but I think on this occasion you may be labouring under the illusion that there's a GSJ at Dunkitt. There isn't - it's just a normal grade separation, not a junction.

Of course that misunderstanding pales in comparison to Google Maps/Tele Atlas putting a non-existent roundabout at that very spot and also showing the as-yet-unopened motorway as open! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Of course that misunderstanding pales in comparison to Google Maps/Tele Atlas putting a non-existent roundabout at that very spot and also showing the as-yet-unopened motorway as open! :D

Good spot :eek: You have to untick "Avoid highways" to get the current dirt track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 diarmaid2

Any word on the expected opening of Waterford-Knocktopher? Last time I passed Mullinavat a couple of weeks ago, it looked as if they were finally making some progress. The speculation on this thread seems to vary, but I get the feeling it won't open until the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

Photos from Mulinavat on Tuesday. Still working at 6.20pm.

3947608438_4634c87e4f.jpg

3947609060_f68448b251.jpg

Large 1

Large 2

Good progress being made with the dry weather. Might be a possibility of it sneaking over the finish line in late '09??

Also heard of a deadline for the Waterford city bypass for 4 weeks time. Alot more overtime being put in on it now for late October opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Excellent photos. Looking a lot better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

Those photos show a huge improvement in comparison to the earth works in last set of photos. It looks to be the same place, but with the floods gone, road leveled and hardcore down. Munurty, do you know if the unfinished stretch at Mullinavat is all at this stage? If so its looking good. They seem to have cracked the springs and lakes issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

The photos I'm refering to are on the 17-8-09, taken by Munurty. (I don't know how to copy and paste them in here.

• Advertisement

if they keep up this pace then end November will be a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

How long is the relatively unadvanced section shown in Munurty's pictures? Are we talking just 2 or 3 kilometres, or substantially more?

Furet wrote: »
    How long is the relatively unadvanced section shown in Munurty's pictures? Are we talking just 2 or 3 kilometres, or substantially more?

AFAIK it is only 2 or 3 klicks

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

Furet wrote: »

Looking back at my last aerial photos it looks like its only about a 3km section with other smaller bits around some of the structures.

Aerial photos 07/09/09

Yeah, take a look back at post 420. The section in question would be the red bit around Mullinavat.

The bit either side of where the new road crosses the existing N9 has been the site of a lot of activity in the past month too (see rectangles 9-10 on my map). I haven't seen it up close, but it's clear from passing under there every day because there are now always vehicles passing over on the big viaduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

pics from a couple of hours ago,
    taken from the n78 bridge over the m9 looking south over the kilcullen tie in.

laying down the mr t mac.

3953262232_6dd100e4d7_b.jpg

3952487879_472f9e69ce_b.jpg

3952489357_2b9a7470de_b.jpg

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    pics from a couple of hours ago,
    taken from the n78 bridge over the m9 looking south over the kilcullen tie in.

laying down the mr t mac.

Hot off the press - well done! They are 3 days behind schedule. They were 4 days behind when the new layout was introduced 4 weeks ago. That's good project management!!

rameire wrote: »
    3953262232_6dd100e4d7_b.jpg

This photo captures something I was wondering about when I walked this section last week. Is it not too narrow at the point where it joins the current M9 to have two lanes and a hard shoulder? Or is it an optical illusion??

This photo captures something I was wondering about when I walked this section last week. Is it not too narrow at the point where it joins the current M9 to have two lanes and a hard shoulder? Or is it an optical illusion??

No, you're right. You can see that in the foreground, lane 2 is merging into lane 1, which is normal, and there's a normal hard shoulder too.

If you look at the material being laid at the new stretch, it extends out further to the right so as to make up lane 2. I'd assume that they'll have to lay some more of that to the right of that carriageway, closer to the observer.

• Advertisement

No, you're right. You can see that in the foreground, lane 2 is merging into lane 1, which is normal, and there's a normal hard shoulder too.

If you look at the material being laid at the new stretch, it extends out further to the right so as to make up lane 2. I'd assume that they'll have to lay some more of that to the right of that carriageway, closer to the observer.

Then you'd have to wonder why they aren't doing that now when they have the opportunity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement