Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

fricatus wrote: »
    Fair enough, maybe there will be quite a bit of undulation, but it will still be perfectly good for its legal maximum of 120 km/h (plus a little bit for good measure).

To be honest, the most important things (and let's not lose sight of them) will be the presence of a continuous overtaking lane (which won't just disappear up ahead), a continuous hard shoulder (ditto), a concrete barrier in the middle, and a complete lack of ad hoc entrances, such as private houses, and a lack of other miscellaneous hazards, like right-turning vehicles and slow movers like tractors.

For those of us who contend with the above SH!T on a daily basis on the disgraceful N9/N10 around places like Mullinavat, Knocktopher, Stonyford, Jerpoint Thomastown, etc., the new road will be a massive relief.

I'm sure we'll notice a few idiosyncracies and imperfections when the motorway opens, and I'll be joining in in discussing them and pointing them out like anyone else, but by golly I'll be relieved not to come face-to-face with trucks taking tight bends at borderline speeds any more, and that will be my main feeling on the matter!

not to mention coming around a bend on a dark cold wet October evening and being met with Cattle in the middle of the road:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bards wrote: »

Ah right... probably is to do with that... and me assuming that all the orange signs around Mullinavat had to be to do with the M9 construction works!

not to mention coming around a bend on a dark cold wet October evening and being met with Cattle in the middle of the road:mad:

:eek:

Forgot that one... I've had that particular experience and it ain't nice. I mean come on, focking CATTLE on a national primary road... And there are about five different places on that road where I've been stopped by that particular hazard. Jeezus! :mad:

Oh roll on the M9. It can't come soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

fricatus wrote: »
    Ah right... probably is to do with that... and me assuming that all the orange signs around Mullinavat had to be to do with the M9 construction works!

No, I don't think so. There are two bridges in New Ross, one in the centre of the town for the N25 to Waterford and the other is the 'Ferry' bridge which carries traffic to Kilkenny and Graignamanagh.

Traffic coming from Mullinavat to New Ross crosses the main (N25) bridge in the town, not the Ferry bridge so the works on the Ferry Bridge would have nothing to do with the signs in Mullinavat.

The only impact of the Ferry bridge works is that lorries coming from Kilkenny/Thomastown now have to divert to Mullinavat to get to New Ross instead of using the more direct R700 (Kilkenny-New Ross road).

So I think the orange signs in Mullinavat are M9 related...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Well heres the first indication on the ground of the existence of Waterfords best kept secret, about 100m from the start of the M9 at the M9/N9, N24 Roundabout...

3955629341_b98ec9be92.jpg

I Noticed the N10 in brackets this morning. does this mean the kilkenny Link will be N? or will they patch once the whole M9 opens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I Noticed the N10 in brackets this morning. does this mean the kilkenny Link will be N? or will they patch once the whole M9 opens?

Guess it looks that way. From the Danesfort Junction into town (currently N10) and onto the Ring Road will remain N10 surely.
    And the new Link from the Carlow side seems to be N10 as all the signs on the M9 north of KK all have the same (Kilkenny N10) in brackets.

NedNew wrote: »
    No, I don't think so. There are two bridges in New Ross, one in the centre of the town for the N25 to Waterford and the other is the 'Ferry' bridge which carries traffic to Kilkenny and Graignamanagh.

Traffic coming from Mullinavat to New Ross crosses the main (N25) bridge in the town, not the Ferry bridge so the works on the Ferry Bridge would have nothing to do with the signs in Mullinavat.

The only impact of the Ferry bridge works is that lorries coming from Kilkenny/Thomastown now have to divert to Mullinavat to get to New Ross instead of using the more direct R700 (Kilkenny-New Ross road).

So I think the orange signs in Mullinavat are M9 related...

No, HGVs are being sent to Waterford and out to New Ross via N25. The 'Ross-Mullinavt road is not very suitable for a lot of HGV traffic so that is the reasoning. I think they really should ahve waited 'til the M9 was open thought there are probably budgetary reasons for gwtting the work done ASAP.
    I notice BAM are contractors for the Bridge upgrade; so given their track record lets hope it does not drag on for 12 months :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Anyone any news/photos on the progress of the Knocktopher to Carlow stretch? Seems to be almost done around Junction 9 on this map:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KilkennyCountyCouncil/N9N10CarlowKnocktopherKilcullenWaterford/Map,16507,en.pdf

How's the tie-in with the Carlow bypass looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

wellbutty wrote: »
    Anyone any news/photos on the progress of the Knocktopher to Carlow stretch? Seems to be almost done around Junction 9 on this map:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KilkennyCountyCouncil/N9N10CarlowKnocktopherKilcullenWaterford/Map,16507,en.pdf

the tie in on this is very straight forward as the dumbell was built for the Carlow bypass section. Havent seen it in a few weeks though so cant comment on progress

As previous poster says, straightforward really. The tie in as such had been done already on the opening of the CW bypass section. The roundabouts and exits had been installed already as part of this project at either end.
    Installation of the southern ends slips has been ongoing the last few weeks, and I see light installations going up on the Barrow bridge nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭placard

Is there any possibility that the Knocktopher to Carlow section could be finished this year? From previous posts it seems that Roadbridge have made good progress and haven't run into any snags. Junction 6 on the pdf from the previous post

is almost done ( southern slip roads to be finished,) 9 is also almost done. How about 7 and 8? Also which scheme is Junction 10 a part of, Roadbridge or BAM?

It's great to see so many junctions around Killkenny City, good planning!!

placard wrote: »
    Is there any possibility that the Knocktopher to Carlow section could be finished this year? From previous posts it seems that Roadbridge have made good progress and haven't run into any snags.

Well it did start around the same time as Carlow-Kilcullen, and it's being done by the same crowd, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility. I haven't seen any photos of any of it lately, and the only bit I've directly seen is the Danesfort junction (J10), so I really don't know.

Also which scheme is Junction 10 a part of, Roadbridge or BAM?

BAM, I believe. It was well under way before the Roadbridge bit got started.

It's great to see so many junctions around Killkenny City, good planning!!

Yeah, and it serves Carlow similarly well. Unlike the hamfisted way the motorway ends going into Waterford... a recipe for hold-ups and a junction that will need to be re-done in 20 years' time for sure (here).

Were the people who designed that layout the same people who did the good job of providing sensibly located junctions serving KK and Carlow, does anyone know?

Any more gossip down south on the Waterford section of the M9 over the past week?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So, what exact routes can we take using the motorway? I traveled up to Roscommon yesterday, and was on a motorway for part of it - it goes straight onto Dublin. Seems to be a fair bit of work outside Abbeylex - any connection?

When i read this comment i thought someone should get off their arse, get out there and take a few snaps. Then it dawned on me that im probably the closest person here to these works so i went out today between J6 and J7 to take a few snaps.....and heres what i saw!

Picture 1 is taken from first overbridge south of tie in with Carlow bypass looking north.
    Picture 2 is from same overpass looking south.
    Picture 3 is from the next overbridge south(c.1k further on) looking north.
    Picture 4 is from same overbridge looking south.(showing next bridge)
    Picture 5 is taken from Old Leighlin overbridge looking north showing last overbridge. This overbridge is not open to traffic but didnt stop me driving up it.

Picture 6 is taken form Old Leighlin overbridge looking south. Notice infinished bridge over stream.
    Picture 7 is a zoom on the un-finished bridge. Notice next overbridge.
    Picture 8 is said bridge.
    Picture 9 same again.
    Picture 10 is from overbridge seen in pic 7, looking north.

Picture 11 is from same overbridge looking south. Next overbridge in distance.
    Picture 12 is from the next overbridge looking north.
    Picture 13 is from that bridge looking south showing next bridge.
    Picture 14 is from the next bridge looking back north towards the last bridge.
    Picture 15 is looking south from that bridge.

Picture 16 is of an overbridge on the north side of Paulstown looking north, this is the least progressed piece of road i've seen so far.
    Picture 17 is a zoom of same.
    Picture18 is again from Paulstown showing the new Junction 7.
    Picture 19 was taken on the way home from the overbridge at the Carlow bypass tie in looking south.
    Picture 20 is same again.

In picture 19 & 20, in the distance you can see bright containers. These are at the location of the bridge over the barrow which seems to be substantially complete. I only caught a brief glimpse of the bridge while driving but didnt get a pic. Looked pretty impressive though.

End transmission!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Super contribution Roryhy - thanks very much for taking the time to upload your pictures.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A relation of the gf, who is contracted for part of this development, was saying the other night that a part that was due open in the next month will be delayed until next year as there is a lot of work left to do. I assume its the Carlow area? She came in late into the conversation so didnt pick up where.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    A relation of the gf, who is contracted for part of this development, was saying the other night that a part that was due open in the next month will be delayed until next year as there is a lot of work left to do. I assume its the Carlow area? She came in late into the conversation so didnt pick up where.

This is as I understand things:
    Carlow-Kilcullen - due open maybe in December of this year
    Carlow-Knocktopher - due open in 2010 some time
    Waterford-Knocktopher - due open by Christmas, weather permitting, otherwise in the new year, according to an e-mail on here from the project co-ordinator.

From that, I don't know of anything that was due to be opened in the next month, unless it's something relating to the city bypass.

Any idea where this person was working? Grannagh? Mullinavat? Danesfort?

Looks like it's between the M9 and M6 to win the race so!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Slightly off topic but what do you reckon the cheapest/ most basic car you can get with cruise control as standard? This will be a godsend for us M9 commuters on our new motorway.:D

Would a brick on the throttle and some parcel twine on the steering wheel do the job on my civic and give me an extra bit of kip in the morning? Or should i opt for the Kit from Knight Rider style device that will allow me to snooze safe in the knowledge that i can turbo boost over any truck that might hog the overtaking lane.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Furet wrote: »
    Super contribution Roryhy - thanks very much for taking the time to upload your pictures.

+1 Roryhy, many thanks for keeping us informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

Thanks roryhy, for the photos. I was over at the new main Waterford bridge on Sunday afternoon. I forgot my phone but I might get back there next weekend and get some photos. There was actually some work going on. A concrete truck was just leaving and I think they had been working on the central concrete barrier. It looks like most of the tar is down across the bridge with just a few sections to fill in. The ramps up to and off the main roundabout directly after the bridge on the Kilkenny side has lines painted and green signs up. The toll structure looked complete with red lights on (hard to see as it is on the other side of the bridge). They are putting 90 degree concrete slabs on the sides of the bridge. I think they do this on most large bridge structures and gives a nice finish. Not sure if it has any structural significance. The fact they were working on Sunday must mean they are keen to get it finished. Maybe those fines are kicking in??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The M9 - Athy link road, looking west on 22 September. Ridge of the Rossmore Plateau on the horizon.

IMG_0921-1.jpg

tramor wrote: »
    The toll structure looked complete with red lights on (hard to see as it is on the other side of the bridge).

I find it hard at this stage to contain my child-like excitement each time we hear one of these little details bringing us closer to opening day (oops, just realised we're in the wrong thread...). Thanks tramor! :D

Also today they've just opened both lanes each direction of the dual carriageway from the IÉ goods yard out as far as the Newrath Roundabout. Happy days! Must remember to stick her on cruise control tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Tramor,

The toll plaza has been complete for some time, all electronics installed, tested and in working order - just waiting for traffic, though they have called in volunteers to circle through the toll booths for hours on end to test the system.

Re 90 degree concrete slabs on the side of the bridge: these are, in fact, steel cladding and are, for the most part, ornamental though they do give some protection and shelter to the structure.

The concrete central barrier is complete, as far as I can see and today, Monday, was spent laying tarmacadam on the bridge deck. It is not yet complete but quite an amount has been done. It's amazing the volumes of tarmac which is delivered for jobs such as this. There were 7 lorries in a queue to offload tarmac to those laying it.

A lot of work in the bridge area is on cleaning up and finishing off and it looks like it will be open shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Latest email from the Project Coordinator - regarding M9 Waterford to Knoctopher scheme now with added Knoctopher to Danesfort junction from the Knoctopher to Carlow scheme.
    Sent: 06 October 2009 10:38
    Subject: RE: New Motorway

Our present plan is to have the road open from Danesfort to Waterford before Christmas this year. The programme is very tight and obviously somewhat weather dependent so it’s by no means certain to happen.

Project Coordinator

So the good news is the plan is to go as far as Danesfort !!!!
    The bad news is we are still depending on the good old weather !!

Fingers crossed !!!

• Advertisement

This is an excellent thread, but it suffers from not having each scheme specified in individual posts. Could people make sure in future that they clearly name the particular M9 scheme they're referring to for the benefit of those (like me) unfamiliar with the SE?

Dougal - which scheme are you referring to?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement