Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Furet wrote: »
    Dougal - which scheme are you referring to?

I have edited my post now Furet.

Basically talking about Waterford to Knocktopher scheme but the plan now seems to include a junction on the Knocktopher to Carlow scheme also.

This junction is at the south side of Kilkenny city so Waterford and Kilkenny will be linked by motorway when opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sent: 06 October 2009 10:38
    Subject: RE: New Motorway

Our present plan is to have the road open from Danesfort to Waterford before Christmas this year. The programme is very tight and obviously somewhat weather dependent so it’s by no means certain to happen.

Project Coordinator
    dougal wrote: »
    So the good news is the plan is to go as far as Danesfort !!!!

That's the first indication that they plan not just opening Waterford-Knocktopher (J12-J10), but also the section of Carlow-Knocktopher back as far as J9. That really is terrific news!

I presume they'll just direct Waterford-Dublin traffic via Kilkenny now, until the rest of Carlow-Knocktopher is open. It makes no sense to turn off at Knocktopher and then head through the boreens around Jerpoint and Thomastown, when the M9 to Danesfort opens, because the N10 from Danesfort through Kilkenny and on towards the Carlow bypass is a reasonably decent road, even if it is a little more crowded than the N9 around Thomastown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Well, based on the pictures we've seen here so far, most of it is already lined, right? There's just that 2-3km unadvanced part to go, yes? If so, then this really is fantastic news - it will be brilliant for the SE and brilliant for road safety. I'd love to see more pictures of signage, which I presume is being erected now.

I'd love to see more pictures of signage, which I presume is being erected now.

I haven't seen any M9 signage yet in Waterford or south Kilkenny, bar the bits in post 675 from alpha2zulu. I think it's too early - don't they start putting up signs around 6 weeks before an opening?

About that alright. What percentage of the Waterford to Knocktopher scheme is lined and studded, would you say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

About that alright. What percentage of the Waterford to Knocktopher scheme is lined and studded, would you say?

The highlighted area on this link to the premature google maps Waterford-knocktopher scheme map shows what I can vouch for in terms of being lined and ready to go-8.6km.The total Waterford-Knocktopher section is 24Km. Havent seen what progress is like post Mullinavat.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=N9&hl=en&geocode=FfQKHgMdufeS_w%3BFXocHwMdEqaS_w&mra=ls&sll=52.3688,-7.163215&sspn=0.009197,0.019248&ie=UTF8&ll=52.381887,-7.084122&spn=0.295065,0.615921&z=11

There is a section of about 2km which Google hasent included leading to the new M9/N24 roundabout outside Waterford.About 1Km of this is still needing its top layer wearing course tarmac but the barrier wall is in place from Waterford-Mullinavat.

Up at the Mullinavat junction this is the progress in a week with before and after pics! I've never studied civil engineering but basically some sort of tarmac type lining has gone down during the week.(Unscientific term:D)

Before:
    3959797950_a66e1ca90d_o.jpg

After:
    3987853324_9b14ec151d_o.jpg

Okay...and the bit north of Mulinavat, this has the concrete barrier and is receiving the final surface (wearing course) at the moment?
    The 3-km section shown in your photos should be done soon. Laying CBM is the slowest part, as the machine works slowly, but asphalt goes down very quickly when weather conditions are favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

fricatus wrote: »
    That's the first indication that they plan not just opening Waterford-Knocktopher (J12-J10), but also the section of Carlow-Knocktopher back as far as J9. That really is terrific news!

This is great news ok - I live in Mullinavat and work in Kilkenny so adding this junction makes a huge difference to me. The link road will make an even bigger difference but hopefully it won't be too far behind.
    I presume they'll just direct Waterford-Dublin traffic via Kilkenny now.

It will definitely be the safer route ok - probably add to the distance so I'd say people taking that route regularly will figure out for themselves but less frequent travellers could be directed that way ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I presume they'll just direct Waterford-Dublin traffic via Kilkenny now, until the rest of Carlow-Knocktopher is open. It makes no sense to turn off at Knocktopher and then head through the boreens around Jerpoint and Thomastown, when the M9 to Danesfort opens, because the N10 from Danesfort through Kilkenny and on towards the Carlow bypass is a reasonably decent road, even if it is a little more crowded than the N9 around Thomastown.

They will, it's the sensible option. Thomastown is now history as well. The N10 will be extra busy for 6 months or so but then the rest of the M9 will open and it will soon be forgotten.
    This will improve people's quality of life hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

mfitzy wrote: »
    They will, it's the sensible option. Thomastown is now history as well. The N10 will be extra busy for 6 months or so but then the rest of the M9 will open and it will soon be forgotten.
    This will improve people's quality of life hugely.

The Ring road around Kilkenny is bad enough at the moment what with the roadworks particularly at rush hour,will these works finish to coincide with the opening?

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    The Ring road around Kilkenny is bad enough at the moment what with the roadworks particularly at rush hour,will these works finish to coincide with the opening?

Unfortunately that is true. The ring road is not wide enough for the volume of traffic and there are just too many at-grade (too narrow) roundabouts. There are plans to widen it but those won't happen any time soon.

Saw BAM transporting back up towards Kildare one of their big dumpers this morning. I guess things are winding down now on the construction side.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I have uploaded pictures taken this morning on my way to work of the new M9 between Stoneyford and Mullinavat. This includes part of Roadbridges section and Bams. I must say a 'hats off' to Bam as the amount of work they have done in the last 6 months between McBrides scrapyard and Mulinavat is incredible. Also the amount of machines and people who are currently working on this section must run into the 100s. I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel, if Waterford-Danesford doesnt open before Christmas then it wont be long after.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40914919@N02/?saved=1

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Unbelievable what they can get done when they knuckle down. Definitely open for Christmas!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Unbelievable what they can get done when they knuckle down. Definitely open for Christmas

Really hope so,definetly would be a fantastic Christmas present for the South East, though with the pedestrian pace on the scheme until recently and with so many other opening dates come and go I cant help but wonder if it will be another BAM-Budget Another Month situation:confused:

Fantastic pics johnbk,great to see how advanced the rest of the project is looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Really hope so,definetly would be a fantastic Christmas present for the South East, though with the pedestrian pace on the scheme until recently and with so many other opening dates come and go I cant help but wonder if it will be another BAM-Budget Another Month situation:confused:

Fantastic pics johnbk,great to see how advanced the rest of the project is looking.

I wonder are they trying to get it finished before Year End (Financial & Calendar)

alpha2zulu wrote: »

Have to agree. I certainly would not go rushing to congratulate them.
    The M9 Knocktopher-Waterford section kicked off in Spring 2006 (nearly 3 years ago) so it well overdue for finishing.
    Cashel-Cullahill M8 started a few months before it and is now open almost a year. This gives an idea of how slow progress has been unfortunately.

Hate to be an anorok but think I'm in good company here :D. I travel this road almost daily.

Has anybody else around Carlow-Kilkenny noticed desprecencies on the distance signs on the M9/N9;

For instance;
    -Start of Carlow Bypass heading North towards Kilcullen "Dublin 97 KM" VS N9 at Royal Oak "Dublin 95 KM"- must be the longest 2 km in history!

- Heading out of Castledermot, heading towrds KK, "Kilkenny 46 KM" VS start of M9 Carlow bypass heading towards KK, "Kilkenny 50 KM"- does not make any sense

- The most puzzling one I have to say; Carlow IT (old N9) "Kilkenny 35 KM" VS sign at Powerstown heading south (end of Carlow bypass) "Kilkenny 31 KM"- I never measured but Carlow IT to Powerstown just 4 KM :confused:

Could it be the new offline M9 is adding distance to the journey :confused:. If true, that is a bit disspointing. I mean if these are accurate, Kilkenny-Dublin will now be 128 KM vs current 115 KM!! Surely not...

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Hate to be an anorok but think I'm in good company here :D. I travel this road almost daily.

Has anybody else around Carlow-Kilkenny noticed desprecencies on the distance signs on the M9/N9;

For instance;
    -Start of Carlow Bypass heading North towards Kilcullen "Dublin 97 KM" VS N9 at Royal Oak "Dublin 95 KM"- must be the longest 2 km in history!

- Heading out of Castledermot, heading towrds KK, "Kilkenny 46 KM" VS start of M9 Carlow bypass heading towards KK, "Kilkenny 50 KM"- does not make any sense

- The most puzzling one I have to say; Carlow IT (old N9) "Kilkenny 35 KM" VS sign at Powerstown heading south (end of Carlow bypass) "Kilkenny 31 KM"- I never measured but Carlow IT to Powerstown just 4 KM :confused:

Could it be the new offline M9 is adding distance to the journey :confused:. If true, that is a bit disspointing. I mean if these are accurate, Kilkenny-Dublin will now be 128 KM vs current 115 KM!! Surely not...

Yeah, i dont know any specifics but i think its kind of granted that new routes aren't as direct as the old ones. Take for example where the new M9 doesnt follow the route of the n9 or n10, it goes between them, this adds distance to the journey from carlow/Waterford and carlow/kilkenny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

It could, but not necessarily! What is happening here could be caused by the mix of old and new. Though in the case of Castledermot to KK I assume the sign on the Carlow bypass reflects the distance when the M9 and N10 link to KK are completed. In which case ignore best to ignore all distance signs till the whole thing is completed. If not, and it reflects current distance then the additional kms could be temporary.

That's clear now, isn't it?? :D

• Advertisement

I noticed that a good while ago. The M9 swings to the west, far more so than the N9, which appears to be straighter in its route from Waterford to Kilcullen. But to be honest it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. A few more kilometres don't matter when you're driving seamlessly between 120 and 140km/h on an exceptionally safe motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

I noticed that a good while ago. The M9 swings to the west, far more so than the N9, which appears to be straighter in its route from Waterford to Kilcullen. But to be honest it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. A few more kilometres don't matter when you're driving seamlessly between 120 and 140km/h on an exceptionally safe motorway.

Very true, especially with one hour (max) trip guaranteed from Waterford to Kilcullen and little acceleration/braking/turning required!
    Out of interest, how much difference will the Waterford-Danesfort sectional opening make to the journey time between Kilkenny and Waterford? I have only driven that section maybe twice but from account it must be saving at least 40% of the journey time given the state of the southern section of the N9??

BTW: OSM has the N10 mapped as U/C but limited access

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

nordydan wrote: »
    Very true, especially with one hour (max) trip guaranteed from Waterford to Kilcullen and little acceleration/braking/turning required!
    Out of interest, how much difference will the Waterford-Danesfort sectional opening make to the journey time between Kilkenny and Waterford? I have only driven that section maybe twice but from account it must be saving at least 40% of the journey time given the state of the southern section of the N9??

BTW: OSM has the N10 mapped as U/C but limited access

I would say it will reduce the journey from 45 mins to around 20 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MisterCrown

Kilkenny People says the road, from Danesfort to Waterford, will be open late December

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/December-date-for--new.5708746.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Kilkenny People says the road, from Danesfort to Waterford, will be open late December

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/December-date-for--new.5708746.jp

Thanks for the link MisterCrown! Though roughly 80% of that article was aimless, empty padding.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Thanks for the link MisterCrown! Though roughly 80% of that article was aimless, empty padding.

Have to agree there. Complete rubbish a lot of it ;). No hard facts or research. A lot of stating the bloody obvious as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MisterCrown

BluntGuy wrote: »

You're right. There's nothing really in it that couldn't be got from boards threads, I reckon.

nordydan wrote: »

I commute from Waterford to Kilkenny daily and I pass very close to J12 (near Grannagh Interchange) and pass over J9 (unopened M9 at Danesfort), so I did a little experiment through August and September.

I calculate that Danesfort-Grannagh is around 36 km and will take around 18 minutes to travel (at the speed limit) in either direction. I timed how long it took me to travel that stretch on the existing roads on a number of occasions so that I could see how long would be knocked off my commute when the new motorway opens. At present, my commute takes about an hour, though with no traffic at all, it takes 45 minutes.

The very least that it will knock off my commute is 8 minutes, and that's for an 06.00 arrival in Kilkenny. At that time of the morning, though there's plenty coming the other way, you don't normally have anything in front of you - certainly not any slow movers or traffic convoys. The highest figure I arrived at was a 17-minute time saving on 8 September.

Since October came in, the traffic has increased (September was a bit of a slow starter), so if anything, I would expect up to 25 minutes to be knocked off on the really bad days, just like Bards says.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

Roryhy wrote: »
    Unbelievable what they can get done when they knuckle down. Definitely open for Christmas!:D

Apparently we can't assume that because the road is completed it will be opened immediately. There are rumours of a stand-off between Roadbridge and the NRA in relation to an early completion bonus. Roadbridge say they're due one and the NRA say they won't pay it - their stipulation is only to be on-time and on-budget. No early completion bonuses like the good old days. It has even been suggested that a padlock could be put on the new motorway until the original completion date of November 2010. Hopefully it turns out to be just a bit of posturing!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Apparently we can't assume that because the road is completed it will be opened immediately. There are rumours of a stand-off between Roadbridge and the NRA in relation to an early completion bonus. Roadbridge say they're due one and the NRA say they won't pay it - their stipulation is only to be on-time and on-budget. No early completion bonuses like the good old days. It has even been suggested that a padlock could be put on the new motorway until the original completion date of November 2010. Hopefully it turns out to be just a bit of posturing!! :eek:

While I don't know anything about the purported dispute, in my opinion the NRA would do well to keep Roadbridge happy. They are, quite simply, consistently the best road construction outfit in the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement