Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

fricatus wrote: »
    I calculate that Danesfort-Grannagh is around 36 km and will take around 18 minutes to travel (at the speed limit) in either direction. I timed how long it took me to travel that stretch on the existing roads on a number of occasions so that I could see how long would be knocked off my commute when the new motorway opens. At present, my commute takes about an hour, though with no traffic at all, it takes 45 minutes.

Don't forget the biggest time saving of 5 minutes for not having to sit at the railway crossing going nowhere at key times during rush hour!

I made 3 trips into Waterford last week and hit the railway crossing closed 4 of the 6 trips.
    Thursday morning at 10:30 going in and then at 2pm coming out.
    Friday evening at 6:30pm going in was ok coming out
    Saturday evening around 9pm going in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

dougal wrote: »
    Don't forget the biggest time saving of 5 minutes for not having to sit at the railway crossing going nowhere at key times during rush hour!

I made 3 trips into Waterford last week and hit the railway crossing closed 4 of the 6 trips.
    Thursday morning at 10:30 going in and then at 2pm coming out.
    Friday evening at 6:30pm going in was ok coming out
    Saturday evening around 9pm going in again.

sat there for 16 minutes last week :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That was automated lately wasn't it? Possibly even slower therefore.
    Not long to wait now anyhow guys :)

mfitzy wrote: »
    That was automated lately wasn't it? Possibly even slower therefore.
    Not long to wait now anyhow guys :)

still manual for now, I suspect they are waiting for the Bypass to open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

Just wondering if anybody has any updates on how the tie in at Kilcullen is progressing? Any updates on the opening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

They're working on the Southbound carriageway, there's a contraflow on the the Northbound lane. My guess would be that they'll be able to switch over in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Not quite the M9 topic but close. Does anybody know if there is a name chosen for the new Waterford bridge? There isn't a word about it anywhere and it makes me suspicious that we're going to be foisted with some name such as the ones the local authorities are now putting on new housing estates and are almost unpronounceable.

I don't have any bright ideas as to what it should be called except that we have had a bridge called after John Redmond who was a Wexford man and the present bridge on the Quay is called after Edmund Rice who is a Kilkenny man. Maybe if we called it after a Waterford man this time, possibly after Thomas Francis Meagher whose statue on on the Mall near Reginald's Tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

What about the Dan "the man" Shanahan bridge? :D

Silverado wrote: »
    Not quite the M9 topic but close. Does anybody know if there is a name chosen for the new Waterford bridge? There isn't a word about it anywhere and it makes me suspicious that we're going to be foisted with some name such as the ones the local authorities are now putting on new housing estates and are almost unpronounceable.

I don't have any bright ideas as to what it should be called except that we have had a bridge called after John Redmond who was a Wexford man and the present bridge on the Quay is called after Edmund Rice who is a Kilkenny man. Maybe if we called it after a Waterford man this time, possibly after Thomas Francis Meagher whose statue on on the Mall near Reginald's Tower.

any chance of creating a new thread before hi-jacking this one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

The concrete median barrier has been going up during the week on the Kilcullen tie-in.
    The ramp down is also complete to move the current M9 traffic over to the southbound section.
    Soon my tyres will feel the new tarmac, for about 200 yards anyway :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Munster Express is saying the same as the Kilkenny People now, i.e. a December opening for the section between Waterford and Danesfort:

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/new-kilkenny-road-will-open-for-christmas-2/

(M9 Waterford-Knocktopher scheme J10-J12, plus part of Knocktopher-Carlow scheme between J10 and J9)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

Any new photos of the kilkullen tie in would be greatly appreciated. I feel I'm missing out on history down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

ill get some next week unless its really cold and wet.
    ill get down and take some from the tie in aswell not just from the bridge.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Thanks Rameire. Looking forward to those.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

I was thinking about getting some in the morning, i'll see if i can get out of bed early enough to give myself time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Some fecking idiots blocked part of the road that goes onto Limerick, just outside Grannagh. Results in approaching cars on the bend having to break suddenly to avoid the cone, forcing onto oncoming traffic. Also blocked from Limerick end.

Iv cleaned it up now but it was stupid and dangerous. Nearly caused a crash twice, thank god it was quiet enough.

Also, locals should respect other drivers confused with the new layout around there - not everybody is used to it. Tourists and non locals still make a balls of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Hmmmmm. This "no search available" reduces this site to unworkable. When will normal service be restored? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Taken on 2009-10-08 from the same place as my last pictures five months ago, just north of Burtown Crossroads (OpenStreetMap), about ch. 6300 on the drawings. Lots to do, still...

12492df.jpg
    2l9kww4.jpg
    2gvovvl.jpg
    rvkl51.jpg

Thanks for the photos AndrewMc. Where does the athy link road join with the M9. It must be considerably south bound from the tie in at Kilkullen. Will this have to be completed before the tie in is opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Hmmmmm. This "no search available" reduces this site to unworkable. When will normal service be restored? :mad:

Unsure, but the Infrastructure Index Thread still functions if you're looking to dig up old (or new) threads by subject.

• Advertisement

Just looked up the NRA maps and see it now. I notice that the side of the link road that joins the existing N9 is much further along.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lots to do indeed. Will not obviously open with the new mainline road :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

tramor wrote: »
    Just looked up the NRA maps and see it now. I notice that the side of the link road that joins the existing N9 is much further along.

Yep; the R747 link will open at the same time as the mainline. Does anyone know whether the link to Athy will be designated as an extension of the R747? That would seem to make sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R747_road

Took a few pics on the way home from Dublin.

Kilcullen-Carlow section.

Picture 1 is tie in at north end, looking south obviously.
    Picture 2 is zoom of same.
    Picture 3 is at southbound end looking towards Carlow bypass.
    Picture 4 is closeup to tie in with Carlow bypass looking south.

Picture 5 is view of new road from tie-in looking north.
    Picture 6 is same unzoomed.
    Picture 7 is view of tie-in from Carlow bypass looking north.
    Picture 8 is same zoomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Quality shots, thanks. The M9 looks impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

am i redundant now, :(
    or will i still get shots next week

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

rameire wrote: »
    am i redundant now, :(
    or will i still get shots next week

More photos please! :D

The tie in is probably going to be even more advanced next week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just on the mulinavat road, on way back to car. Big progress with surfacing already down in sections. Will post photos when I get home.

Unable to get to bypass at Waterford, lots and lots of work on it. Will try tmrow, I assume they won't be working then,

• Advertisement

excellent shots Roryh. Thanks! Definitely get more shots next week Rameire, if you have time. They're always greatly appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement