Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Nice :D I'm all for the stopping areas as an interim for MSAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

Nice :D I'm all for the stopping areas as an interim for MSAs.
    yeh i think that there a good idea whether or not services will be built on motorways but as a user of the m6 ,i have noticed the rest areas on it are becoming more and more like an easy dumping ground.the last time i stopped at one it was for a bite to eat and a wee cupa. I pull up wind down the window and the smell was disgusting.i got out look down the embankment and there was all sorts of rubbish spilled all over the place.surely if the contractors are going to build these, then its up to them to manage them as well.I did my good deed for the day and cleaned up as best as i could.Needless to say my journey was ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think the stopping areas make perfect sense, whether motorway or not but how are they handled legally? The Gorey Bypass ones are still open but it is illegal to stop on a motorway, yet AFAIK there are no "end/start of motorway restrictions" signs there-so what gives??

If for example, you were parked up and somebody else hit you, could they claim you were partially liable for parking on a motorway?

im going to cheek that one out .good point!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

So far as I can see the stopping places were designed in roads originally intended to be HQDC. In the absence of any motorway rest-areas I guess they have left them in place on the M6, M8, M9 and M11. Sensible decision - I've often pulled in for a wee nap on the M6.

The dirt (and mowed-down reflectors) is basically 'cos the Local Authorities are hopeless at maintenance. Note the army of cleaners you see on the M6 PPP section keeping everything in shape. (There are no halts on this section because it was designed as motorway).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Geogregor wrote: »
    Somehow this bridge doesn't look great. Sort of "dodgy" using unprofessional language.

Dodgy is the best way of saying 'something not quite right' .

The supporting pillars with the shallow U shaped concrete forms on top of them cradling the decks are evidently designed to allow Bridgejacks and the insertion of supporting 'wedges' as required.

But I don't know enough about bridge design to comment any further . This one may have been deliberately designed to settle asymettrically and then be jacked before handover .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This one may have been deliberately designed to settle asymettrically and then be jacked before handover .

Surely if the ground was that dodgey they would have spanned it with a cable bridge rather than plan to "see what happens"?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Heres some pics from the Waterford-Knocktopher scheme,all north of J11 Mullinavat. This 6/7km stretch is still missing the central barrier and with no top layer in place,with just CBM for about 1km.

Looking south to Mulllinavat from the Lukeswell N9 viaduct
    4046106961_08ce7d9a89.jpg

Looking north at the same point,
    4046856668_0b7c0fa620.jpg

The existing N9 beneath at Lukeswell northbound,
    4046864148_a30c2933b5.jpg
    Southbound N9,
    4046136829_93773479be.jpg

Hmmm.....Good old BAM:rolleyes:
    4046144255_1129717d9f.jpg

About 1km North of Mullinavat,looking south,
    4046148597_9d1c7bb48e.jpg
    4046902762_dbbf58d683.jpg

Lukeswell bridge area,
    4046897494_7081ab0dc6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

The progress on the section around Mulinavat is so fast at the moment. I really am positive now (unlike even a month ago) for a pre-Christmas opening now for both Waterford- Danesford and the Kilcullen-Carlow sections.

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thanks for pics guys. You hope and imagine a month should see this completed, all going well. Was great to see those road distance signs pictured as well.

Good aul BAM indeed...Spring 2009 seems like a very long time ago now :rolleyes:. Obviously no penalties in place for dragging it out so very long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

johnbk wrote: »
    The progress on the section around Mulinavat is so fast at the moment. I really am positive now (unlike even a month ago) for a pre-Christmas opening now for both Waterford- Danesford and the Kilcullen-Carlow sections.

People make a big deal over these dodgy section that only last about 1 or 2km. Once the draining work is complete they can rocket through every other aspect of the construction.

Why was Mulllinavat flooded? The Gort to Crusheen scheme is having a similar area of wet ground which is down to a Turlough.

tech2 wrote: »
    Why was Mulllinavat flooded? The Gort to Crusheen scheme is having a similar area of wet ground which is down to a Turlough.

Not exactly sure. I'd say it was mainly down to the extremely wet weather.
    The land in the area would be poorly drained in areas but excellent in others in the area. Some Gley type soils that hold water.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

biffoman wrote: »
    yeh i think that there a good idea whether or not services will be built on motorways but as a user of the m6 ,i have noticed the rest areas on it are becoming more and more like an easy dumping ground.the last time i stopped at one it was for a bite to eat and a wee cupa. I pull up wind down the window and the smell was disgusting.i got out look down the embankment and there was all sorts of rubbish spilled all over the place.surely if the contractors are going to build these, then its up to them to manage them as well.I did my good deed for the day and cleaned up as best as i could.Needless to say my journey was ruined.
    Nah it's not the contractor's responsibility, it's the council, who seem to have forgotten about them. No litter bins are provided and rubbish isn't removed. I've noticed loads of littering in these areas and if they aren't going to maintain them, they should be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

Would it be correct to say then that the Kilcullen - Carlow section will defo open before Christmas and that Danesfort - Waterford is also likely to open in 2009?:confused:

Then middle 2010 for the remainder??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

a couple pics from tonight at the kilcullen m9 tie in.
    looks like the contra flow will change over tonight.

this is a pic looking north from the kilcullen bridge.
    4053681218_17530d2664_b.jpg

this is a pic looking south from the kilcullen bridge.
    4052935703_ffb8a9b6ab_b.jpg

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

Thanks Rameire! That tie in looks excellent. I was wondering would the finished road be as smooth as the rest of the motorway and it seems it will be. I would'nt have thought they could have fit two motorway lanes plus hard shoulder under that bridge, without thinning the lanes a bit, but I guess they must have assumed they would have to at some stage, back in the mid 90's, when the bridge was designed. Good forward planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

tramor wrote: »
    Thanks Rameire! That tie in looks excellent. I was wondering would the finished road be as smooth as the rest of the motorway and it seems it will be. I would'nt have thought they could have fit two motorway lanes plus hard shoulder under that bridge, without thinning the lanes a bit, but I guess they must have assumed they would have to at some stage, back in the mid 90's, when the bridge was designed. Good forward planning!
    I thought the two carriageways always passed under this bridge and the singling occurred south of it??

yeh your rite.this bridge was always big enough.the m9 finished south of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

so will the bit that bypasses castledermot be linking up with the carlow bypass?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

so will the bit that bypasses castledermot be linking up with the carlow bypass?

Oh yes, bye bye Castledermot & your 10 years of roadworks.
    Future generations will never know the hours of my life you wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

From AA Roadwatch this morning!
    *M9/KILDARE* The traffic management at the roadworks on the M9/N9 at Kilcullen will be changed significantly today at 11am. There will be a 10 minute stoppage at this time. Caution is advised as drivers get used to the new layout and Gardai will be on hand to assist.

I guess they couldn't do this over night!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Oh yes, bye bye Castledermot & your 10 years of roadworks.
    Future generations will never know the hours of my life you wasted.

you and me both.

EDIT: p.s. the changover to the contra-flow is happening today (11am) in order to tie-in the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

This is excellent news, so near now :) Every time I see rain I worry about delays, does it still look ok for a November opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I am eight years in the South East and this is my most eagerly awaited piece of infrastructure (as the existing Powerstown - Kilkenny section of theN9 is good) yet. Over that time with the various road openings, I can now do Kilkenny to East Donegal an hour quicker in under 4 hours. This road will surely save another 10 minutes even without the jams in Castledermot?

My views are my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Not sure if this was posted upthread, but see the attachment below.

johnbk wrote: »
    I am eight years in the South East and this is my most eagerly awaited piece of infrastructure (as the existing Powerstown - Kilkenny section of theN9 is good) yet. Over that time with the various road openings, I can now do Kilkenny to East Donegal an hour quicker in under 4 hours. This road will surely save another 10 minutes even without the jams in Castledermot?

Yea, the journey time between the end of Carlow bypass and Kilcullen should be shaved off nicely to around 15 mins or less. No longer will your speed be dicatated by that person in the Almera in front braking at oncoming traffic or convoys of HGVs etc.
    Say at least 10 mins and thats not accounting for tailbacks in Castledermot itself. It's the busiest section of the N9 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Personally, I will be on my hands and knees in praise once the downright dangerous stretch of the N9 between Waterford and Paulstown is gone.

It really is scandalous that this road - not really any more than a country lane in places - has survived so long.

Its 30 miles from Waterford to Paulstown - it can easily take an hour to drive.

Goodbye Mullinavat, Ballyhale, Thomastown, Gowran, Dungarvan. Nice little villages, but good riddance.

Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

alinton wrote: »
    Personally, I will be on my hands and knees in praise once the downright dangerous stretch of the N9 between Waterford and Paulstown is gone.

It really is scandalous that this road - not really any more than a country lane in places - has survived so long.

Its 30 miles from Waterford to Paulstown - it can easily take an hour to drive.

Goodbye Mullinavat, Ballyhale, Thomastown, Gowran, Dungarvan. Nice little villages, but good riddance.

Andy.

So will I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

So will I too. I've measured it several times from Waterford bridge to the junction at Paulstown, and even on Saturday morning it takes about an hour. Thats an average speed of 30mph. You could do it in a JCB for that time. I've had to bring US customers down through Thomastown once. The scratch marks on some of the buildings from trucks being too close sure was a talking point. It takes some explaining that this is the main road from Dublin. Unbelieveable all those small towns were not bypassed long ago. It must have set Waterford back many years economically.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Went south tonight & the contraflow at the Kilcullen tie-in was moved onto the southbound section.
    You get to drive on the new M9 for a few fleeting seconds.
    You see the new M9 snaking away into the distance before you come back down the temporary off ramp.
    Won't be long now :D:D:D.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement