Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Furet wrote: »
    Those earth cuttings in alpha's last two pictures could be for Garda bays.

I would be a bit doubtful of that, they do seem to be filling the gaps back in again and there was a very noticeable roughly 1.5 foot slippage in the bank after the heavy rain last thursday week at the same points that are being worked on now.

Also not included in those pics a new drain running the bank has just been installed also so to me it would all be centred around improveing drainage as it is one of the steeper banks on that section in south Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

So am I. I've been delaying the trip to Dublin just to experience (I hope!!) the new Castledermot-Kilkullen section.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

sk8board wrote: »
    I think they still have to line the continuation of the motorway at the castledermot side of the carlow by-pass. Didn't look lined as of Wednesday morning anyway.

I'd be absolutely amazed if this was open by the end of the year

as the NRA said above, its sometime in (early) Q1 2010.

Yea, but is there even a couple of days work there? All they seem to have to do (to my eyes) is move the existing temp barrier out of the way then re-line a fairly short section of the new tie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Furet wrote: »
    Those earth cuttings in alpha's last two pictures could be for Garda bays.

By the look of it, they're pretty close to the end of the motorway at the Quarry Roundabout, so I wonder would Garda bays ever be put in so close to where the motorway ends?

Personally I wouldent fancy pulling out into 120km/h traffic on that bend either! I know in a car it may be less pronounced but to the naked eye anyway it does look quite a sharp bend by motorway standards. Not the kind of area you want to be interfering with the traffic flow.

About 2km further north from those bank cutting pics on the same carraigeway is a large lay by area at the end of a long straight. It would ideal for any Garda gatsovan activity as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭sk8board

mfitzy wrote: »
    Yea, but is there even a couple of days work there? All they seem to have to do (to my eyes) is move the existing temp barrier out of the way then re-line a fairly short section of the new tie in.

well, thats what the NRA said, and they the only people who know for sure.

why say the Knocktopher end is going to open Dec/Jan, but not say the Castledermot one?
    saying 'Q1 2010' is leaving it pretty open, granted, but its certainly doesn't mean 'sure theres only a few short days work left, and it'll be open in the next 3.5 weeks (which it needs to be in order to be done in '09).

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Passed the Kilcullen tie-in earlier today, looks like its just wearing course and lines to go. Landscaping seems largely done, barrier will need to be patched. At the Carlow bypass end part of the the bypass is down to one lane northbound for tie-in works, there was a new gantry installed and there were a few workers and vehicles around. Also, at the Priory, the hard shoulder line has finally been finished on nb carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Roryhy wrote: »
    Passed the Kilcullen tie-in earlier today, looks like its just wearing course and lines to go. Landscaping seems largely done, barrier will need to be patched. At the Carlow bypass end part of the the bypass is down to one lane northbound for tie-in works, there was a new gantry installed and there were a few workers and vehicles around. Also, at the Priory, the hard shoulder line has finally been finished on nb carriageway.

I noticed the line painted aswell near the priory Rory, I have been saying to myself to be mentally optimistic , the day that gets painted it really can't be too long.
    Also was passing the Carlow end this morning and the concrete barriers were being removed and onto the the back of a truck, which means goodbye to them.

Anyway I think that since are into the closing stages and after many pages of great concise and interesting updates on road progress, anybody want to play a game of guess when the opening date will be. I'll go first, just for Kilcullen - Carlow Section.... my guess is Thursday 10th Dec.
    Just take a guess when you updating the thread with new info as before.

kwalshe wrote: »
    I noticed the line painted aswell near the priory Rory, I have been saying to myself to be mentally optimistic , the day that gets painted it really can't be too long.
    Also was passing the Carlow end this morning and the concrete barriers were being removed and onto the the back of a truck, which means goodbye to them.

Anyway I think that since are into the closing stages and after many pages of great concise and interesting updates on road progress, anybody want to play a game of guess when the opening date will be. I'll go first, just for Kilcullen - Carlow Section.... my guess is Thursday 10th Dec.
    Just take a guess when you updating the thread with new info as before.

Yes, I'd say it is very soon also. Otherwise why would they be doing that work at the end of the Carlow bypass. Any problems of early completion bonus's must be resolved. I'd say your guess of Thursday 10th is good, given the observed information. I'll go tomorrow week, 8th Dec. (that sounds insanely optimistic, I know!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭sk8board

actually wasn't on the Carlow drive this morning, but I hear the new motorway earned 50% of its cost this morning with that jack-knifed truck :)

as for opening days; I'd hope its next week, but will gladly wait till March 31st at midnight if it takes that long!

we've all waited till now ...

• Advertisement

actually wasn't on the Carlow drive this morning, but I hear the new motorway earned 50% of its cost this morning with that jack-knifed truck :)

Sorry sk8board, can you explain? I don't understand. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

as for opening days; I'd hope its next week, but will gladly wait till March 31st at midnight if it takes that long!

we've all waited till now ...

Well, finally I have heard directly from the horses mouth. Kilcullen - Carlow will DEFINITELY be open before Christmas. Roadbridge target is the end of week 50 or start of week 51.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

Well, finally I have heard directly from the horses mouth. Kilcullen - Carlow will DEFINITELY be open before Christmas. Roadbridge target is the end of week 50 or start of week 51.

Thats brilliant ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

So thats about 2 weeks! Cant wait:D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Great progress at the Mullinavat junction, the centre barrier is just going in. The final surface and lining is also being completed north of Lukeswell.

However, the Blackwater Bridge down near the start at Waterford is still incomplete and the road is closed to construction traffic. Does anybody know if this is a significant hold up?

Some local workers tell me they are finishing on Dec. 18. Could this mean the southern section will be complete by Christmas?

I see that the roadside barrier (the metal one) is going up on the section where the M9 crosses the existing N9 at Dunkitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I crossed over Roadbridges section between Knocktopher and Danesford this morning and they were painting the road. After this the only thing remaining is the signs on the sign post. 2 or 3 weeks should finish this section IMO.

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

The final layer is going down on the Kilcullen tie-in today. Landscaping is finished. Some finishing work to do on lighting and the main exit sign still has to be finished. All of the above could be complete in a day or two.

What I can't figure out is how they are going to complete the central barrier (where it is currently opened to let traffic from northbound to southbound lanes) without disrupting traffic. Also the current temporary ramp will be taken up and used to create banking along the northbound side. This also has the potential to disrupt traffic. The only way I can see them being able to do all this is by opening the motorway but resticting traffic to one lane at the tie-in until the other bits are completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

The final layer is going down on the Kilcullen tie-in today. Landscaping is finished. Some finishing work to do on lighting and the main exit sign still has to be finished. All of the above could be complete in a day or two.

What I can't figure out is how they are going to complete the central barrier (where it is currently opened to let traffic from northbound to southbound lanes) without disrupting traffic. Also the current temporary ramp will be taken up and used to create banking along the northbound side. This also has the potential to disrupt traffic. The only way I can see them being able to do all this is by opening the motorway but resticting traffic to one lane at the tie-in until the other bits are completed.

i thought you posted the answer to the barrier before.

probably instead of going throught the barrier the contra flow will be changed again to the northbound carriageway, they can then complete the barrier.
    then open the motorway and remove the contra flow, then remove the temp ramp and put in barriers on the side of the road.

i should be able to get pics on saturday as should be passing by in the daytime.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

However, the Blackwater Bridge down near the start at Waterford is still incomplete and the road is closed to construction traffic. Does anybody know if this is a significant hold up?

Its a pity because as I remember a post on here saying before it was built 2 years ago at this stage.

They were jacking the bridge up until a few weeks ago then lately they removed the tarmac and barrier over the joints . I guessed some sort of expansion joints were going in but maybe somebody else is more informed in this area if these pics from a post I made Saturday are any help. There is still plenty of scaffolding in palce on the pillars underneath also.
    4141583922_2a7fa7d75a_b.jpg
    4141588904_eaf8139f7c_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are proprietary units used for such joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The last sign northbound on the new M9.

Image030.jpg
    I pity anyone who runs into this sign at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Victor wrote: »
    I pity anyone who runs into this sign at speed.
    Regs require a barrier be placed alongside non-lattix type sign supports on the motorway but yeah, if you manage to get around the barrier and hit that you're in trouble :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

johnbk wrote: »
    I crossed over Roadbridges section between Knocktopher and Danesford this morning and they were painting the road. After this the only thing remaining is the signs on the sign post. 2 or 3 weeks should finish this section IMO.

The speed limit signs went up today and I saw alot of other signs in the roadbridge yard last week.

The concrete central barrier on the Waterford to Knocktopher scheme only has about 3-4 days left untill completion also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Munurty wrote: »
    The speed limit signs went up today and I saw alot of other signs in the roadbridge yard last week.

The concrete central barrier on the Waterford to Knocktopher scheme only has about 3-4 days left untill completion also.

can the concrete still be poured in the cold? I thought it didn't go off below 3 or 4 degrees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭partypiper

any idea what the drivetime is now with the new road opeinings say from rathcoole on the n7 to waterford

giving it a fair old belt! :>

As far as I know, as long as the concrete does not freeze, the cold is no problem. So if there is frost it is best to cover the freshly poured concrete, otherwise the surface could have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Not sure if this was mentioned already. On the M9 southbound at Junction 2 (Kilcullen) most of the new signs are up. References to Athy are gone, and the exit is now described as R448 Kilcullen, Ballyshannon. The overhead gantry-style sign isn't up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

AndrewMc wrote: »
    Not sure if this was mentioned already. On the M9 southbound at Junction 2 (Kilcullen) most of the new signs are up. References to Athy are gone, and the exit is now described as R448 Kilcullen, Ballyshannon. The overhead gantry-style sign isn't up yet.

I hope drivers realise they may have a long drive from exit 2 to Donegal!!!

:P;)

Just had a look at the map on NRA website and 'Ballyshannon' is nowhere to be seen? Perhaps Calverstown would have been a more appropriate destination??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

saw the sign tonight on the way home, southbound on the m9 just before the kilcullen junction, just one piece remaining.

the R448 goes from the kilcullen junction, throught kilcullen and onto where ever it goes. and the n78 starts off and goes to athy and further on.

athy doesnt feature as there is a junction further on that is built that has a new road being built to athy.

i expect in the future ( not too distant ) the n78 will be re-classified and downgraded to an 80km/h road and prob changed to R448 all the way to the new roundabout in Athy.
    the new road will be classified the N78 and is built to a spec of a 100km/h road so will become the main road for traffic entering Athy from the East.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement