Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Passed through Castledermot a few mins ago with no bothers at all. I noticed when coming onto the Carlow bypass, to my right, where the southbound lane of Kilcullen-Carlow section meets the bypass, is only protected by a small line of easily moveable cones. Surely they wouldn't leave the road this vulnerable to boyracers if it was more than just days from opening?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Palimpsest wrote: »
    unless you want to spend 25 mins queuing. Cannot understand why they didn't wait until the motorway is open before putting in temporary lights. I went through mageney to avoid today and one of the bridges over the motorway has a very short barrier on the left with quite a drop-is that an NRA responsibility or KCC?

You'd think the local authority in Castledermot could have waited a couple of weeks before resurfacing the main street there.

I was stuck for at least 30 mins there today.

Unbelievable. Can't wait to say goodbye to this miserable place.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

Am I missing something? Does this not say indirectly the motorway will not be open before Christmas? What a pain in the ass if that's so. (but it does'nt make sense, given all the new info on this site which would indicate the motorway will be open any day now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

Apologies, Im refering to the AA roadwatch report by Kieranb07

I think the AA report is wrong, the traffic had changed over to the northbound lanes before today, and also why would this layout remain till xmas day? nothing will happen at christmas. I just cant see what could hold it up for another 2.5weeks or more

• Advertisement

>lightly off topic but the M9 isent the only piece of infrastructural investment going on in south Kilkenny at the moment, around the M9 crossover, the Waterford-Limerick Junction rail line has gotten completely relaid with CWR during last week.

Exactly where is this, please?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

alinton wrote: »
    >lightly off topic but the M9 isent the only piece of infrastructural investment going on in south Kilkenny at the moment, around the M9 crossover, the Waterford-Limerick Junction rail line has gotten completely relaid with CWR during last week.
    alinton wrote: »
    Exactly where is this, please?

A.

Unless I'm missing something, I'd have presumed that the answer was in the question!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Looking south at the tie-in, Tuesday 8th December:

IMG_1204-2.jpg

Looking north at the tie-in, Tuesday 8th December:

IMG_1207-1.jpg

This road is ready to go!

Time of opening is simply a matter of choice for whoever is making the call. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Maximus82

Carlow - Kilcullen is opening Thursday 17th December.....for definate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Maximus82 wrote: »

have you got a source re same??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

dunno how true this is, but i heard Kildare Co Co don't have enough money to grit the road if there is frost so they don't want it open until the spring.

How true would that be? do County Councils grit motorways? surely they would get a new budget in January anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Maximus82 wrote: »

I heard similar, Tuesday the 15th was the date.
    I work with a guy from Balitore who lives about 500 yards from the new junction.
    He said the guys on the site were given their months notice about 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I heard similar, Tuesday the 15th was the date.
    I work with a guy from Balitore who lives about 500 yards from the new junction.
    He said the guys on the site were given their months notice about 2 weeks ago.

I think it's a given that the motorway is virtually finished and will probably be completed by the end of this week, so that's not in question. The question is how soon after it's finished will it be opened?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I think it's a given that the motorway is virtually finished and will probably be completed by the end of this week, so that's not in question. The question is how soon after it's finished will it be opened?

Does the Department of Transport publish Noel Dempsey's calendar ?.
    Surely the press would need to be informed some time in advance.
    Maybe Biffo is scared of the farmers/PS/flood victims mounting a protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I suggest ringing the Roadbridge site office and asking them. That's what I did with the M8 M-F scheme and I was given the correct date.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

The last section of the M6 Ballinasloe to Galway is opening officially on the 18th Dec. Maybe he'll open the M9 the day before or after and then they'll only have to issue 1 press release. It looks good if they open vast swathes together. Makes it look as though progress is being made which in fairness, it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Any emergency phones installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Furet wrote: »
    Any emergency phones installed?

thats one thing i have not noticed at all on my trips to the road, but i have not travelled the road extensively.
    Star Spangler has said before that they have walked the road so they might have a better knowledge of this.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Carlow-Kilcullen section is down in the Transport21 press release regarding the budget as a 2010 finish
    http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=149

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Roryhy wrote: »
    Carlow-Kilcullen section is down in the Transport21 press release regarding the budget as a 2010 finish
    http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=149

The whole project also includes the Athy Link Road, so they could open the M9 tomorrow but still not say they were finished.

• Advertisement

True. Drove by the new link road roundabout in Athy today, quite unadvanced. I'd say at least a month, possibly 2 before its ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Roryhy wrote: »
    True. Drove by the new link road roundabout in Athy today, quite unadvanced. I'd say at least a month, possibly 2 before its ready.

its been in that state for a month.
    they seem to be just moving muck around alot and diggin a few holes.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

rameire wrote: »
    thats one thing i have not noticed at all on my trips to the road, but i have not travelled the road extensively.
    Star Spangler has said before that they have walked the road so they might have a better knowledge of this.

I haven't seen any at least there are none between Kilcullen and the Priory.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

rameire wrote: »
    its been in that state for a month.
    they seem to be just moving muck around alot and diggin a few holes.

I'd say there leaving it til last to avoid disruption to traffic on the N78.
    A lot of resources being thrown at this project by Roadbridge, now that the Kilcullen-Castledermot section is more or less finished.
    From the M9 junction to Burtown the road is near enough complete, there's even a section of it open where they had to close down a part of the existing road there.
    From Burton to Baile Ui Choilean where it follows the existing road i'd say that will be completed by mid January and the rest of the road that goes cross country from Baile Ui Choilean to the half built roundabout on the N78 is fairly well advanced as well.
    Its well worth a trip around there if you have a chance.

fricatus wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something, I'd have presumed that the answer was in the question!

By 'where?' I meant, at which geographical location.

Not 'what landmark is is near'.

So - to elucidate - where is it that the relaying has taken place, i.e. WHERE does the M9 cross the railway?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

larryone wrote: »

Yep! According to my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Only noticed it now looking at openstreetmap, but that's one ugly link-up to the N25. You'd think there'd be some form of freeflow movement provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I see the motorway signs up this morning (covered) on the N10 at the M9 Danesfort junction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Tarmac at the tie-in at Kilcullen was been dug up at the old crossover , I presume it's so it can be landscaped

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement