Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

kwalshe wrote: »
    Tarmac at the tie-in at Kilcullen was been dug up at the old crossover , I presume it's so it can be landscaped

Yes, that's the final piece of landscaping until after the motorway is open. Once done all that is left is tidying up.

There is quite a bit of work that Roadbridge have to finish off once the traffic starts using the motorway, including the removal of the temporary ramp currently being used. I was told this type of work would take a further two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tomtraubert

Yes, that's the final piece of landscaping until after the motorway is open. Once done all that is left is tidying up.

There is quite a bit of work that Roadbridge have to finish off once the traffic starts using the motorway, including the removal of the temporary ramp currently being used. I was told this type of work would take a further two months.

Might be open on 17th after all but its not decided yet......stay tuned...thats 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kildareman007

yo all.... the road signs for the Athy link road are installed now. It definetly looks like it will open before christmas:D does anyone know for sure when this will happen?
    What sort of a shower are Kildare Co Council..... Leave Castledermot alone until the motorway opens. Tailbacks for 40minutes..... God almighty are they stupid or what....
    I think KCC just want to pi$£ people off coming up to christmas:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

yo all.... the road signs for the Athy link road are installed now. It definetly looks like it will open before christmas:D does anyone know for sure when this will happen?
    What sort of a shower are Kildare Co Council..... Leave Castledermot alone until the motorway opens. Tailbacks for 40minutes..... God almighty are they stupid or what....
    I think KCC just want to pi$£ people off coming up to christmas:mad:

Nah, just anywhere south of Kilcullen does not register with them. This would not happen in their beloved Naas or Maynooth or anywhere north of the county. Absolute mind boggling idiocacy on whoevers part it was to proceed with these works. Are they really that crucial, that they could not wait a month. Particularly during the busiest traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I hope M9 opens soon, heading that way next week, would make journey much nicer.

Castledermot is in a constant state of roadworks. Is this the case of the CoCo needing to use up their budget before year end? Roadworks around the country always seem to happen in December with the early nights, ice cold conditions which must affect setting tar, busy Xmas shopping and dark mornings.

If it is a budget thing would they not move the end of budge to July/August, schools off, dry weather (hopefully), and long evenings.

• Advertisement

castledermot is a hole..... the only thing good in it is the road out of it!!!!! take it- and dont stop!!!!!
    Kildare Co Co wrecked the place....done a half job a few years ago and now come back.... 2 weeks to christmas and wreck the place again!!
    well done KCC... you are a shower of fools. And the big idiots holding the stop/go lollipops should be retired...... they are one speed.....no speed!!! please stop this stupidity now.....and give us locals a break!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mfitzy wrote: »
    Nah, just anywhere south of Kilcullen does not register with them. This would not happen in their beloved Naas or Maynooth or anywhere north of the county. Absolute mind boggling idiocacy on whoevers part it was to proceed with these works. Are they really that crucial, that they could not wait a month. Particularly during the busiest traffic.

They've a habit of digging up our main street for drainage works on a 2 year rolling interval recently!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Are they really that crucial, that they could not wait a month. Particularly during the busiest traffic.

Not unusual pre-Christmas across the Local Authorities. I'd guess it might be a budgetary end of year "use it or lose it" situation.

Ooops! I see lukejr has already made this point. Sorry for boring y'all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

They did the same thing on the N8 south of Horse and Jockey in the days just before the M8 opened. Local opposition succeeded in getting the work deferred until after the C-C scheme went online.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

Might be open on 17th after all but its not decided yet......stay tuned...thats 100%

That's positive info considering where it's coming from!! ;)

• Advertisement

That's positive info considering where it's coming from!! ;)

Hope to hell now it is true. This really has dragged on for long enough in the final stages. Seems like ages ago since the Kilcullen tie in got underway.
    Just finish the bloody thing and let us use it. That's what it has been built for.

P.S. Signs at Danefort junction have gone up, just covered in plastic for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ilovejames

castledermot is a hole..... the only thing good in it is the road out of it!!!!! take it- and dont stop!!!!!
    Kildare Co Co wrecked the place....done a half job a few years ago and now come back.... 2 weeks to christmas and wreck the place again!!
    well done KCC... you are a shower of fools. And the big idiots holding the stop/go lollipops should be retired...... they are one speed.....no speed!!! please stop this stupidity now.....and give us locals a break!!!!

couldn't have said it any better, i have had to go to carlow to get petrol instead of waiting with everyone else blocked up for miles, its absolutely ridiculous.
    of all the weeks there sitting around doing nothing they start roadworks on the 8th of December the busiest shoppers day in the country, idiots standing around scratching there arses they havent got a clue!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

ilovejames wrote: »
    couldn't have said it any better, i have had to go to carlow to get petrol instead of waiting with everyone else blocked up for miles, its absolutely ridiculous.
    of all the weeks there sitting around doing nothing they start roadworks on the 8th of December the busiest shoppers day in the country, idiots standing around scratching there arses they havent got a clue!!!

Surely the Garda could put a stop to this. It's causing chaos around the area.
    From a traffic management point of view having people waiting for 40 mins to get through the biggest dump in the county it's bananas. I sat there last night and watched as loads of cars took to the back roads leading in towards Cderm, I even saw a rigid lorry take the detour and about another 30 cars going towards roads they may not be familiar with.

When I got into where the work was happening I was so enraged, about 10 fat , useless ar seholes standing around laughing and joking. I would'nt mind but they are doing a brutal job of the work.. This country is a mess, and this sort of behavior typifies it.... rant complete.....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

spoke with NRA today and they are 'hoping to have Kilcullen to Carlow open either on the 17th or 21st of December, depending on final sign off with contractrors. If this does not happen it may slip into first week of Jan but they are trying to have it open before christmas'.

regards,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Roryhy wrote: »
    True. Drove by the new link road roundabout in Athy today, quite unadvanced. I'd say at least a month, possibly 2 before its ready.

Not familiar with the Athy road at all, where is this roundabout going, has this design changed?

http://n9-n10kilcullen-waterford.ie/EIS/pdf/Fig-03-39.pdf

i saw the fire department road testing the new motorway near the moone section of the motorway this morning .... must be soon.....
    Again these idiots in KCC should be castrated...... today again HASSLEDERMOT ...messing up the place. we should all club together and buy them an xmas pressie...... A BRAIN!!!! but shur God luv dem.... if they had a brain they probably wouldnt be able to use it!!!!! absolute TOOLS:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

wellbutty wrote: »
    Not familiar with the Athy road at all, where is this roundabout going, has this design changed?

http://n9-n10kilcullen-waterford.ie/EIS/pdf/Fig-03-39.pdf

The diagram is of the M9 N78 junction at Kilcullen. The roundabout im talking about is on your left as you enter Athy on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I believe Local Government in Dublin will do this if the raod that is being bypassed is to be redesignated from a national route to a local route (as the funding for roadworks changes after a downgrade). I'm not sure about Local Government in other administrative centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I spoke to the Contractors for the Kilcullen to Carlow stretch today and they confirmed the new road will open before Christmas they are just waiting on a final date from the NRA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dilby

Senior Engineer on the project said in the shop this morning that road will open on the 17th including the Athy link as far as Burtown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

News at the Waterford end doesn’t seem so good. The work around the 5km stretch at Mullinavat Junction (J11) is still quite slow and the Munster Express is reporting this week that the Danesfort-Waterford section will not now open until early February.

Work seems to be continuing slowly also at the Blackwater Bridge just at Waterford and although the top surfacing is now being done around it (and might even be lined before Christmas) the bridge is still being altered and closed to construction traffic. Bad weather is officially being blamed and it now looks as if this section will be officially late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vodavoda

emfifty wrote: »
    spoke with NRA today and they are 'hoping to have Kilcullen to Carlow open either on the 17th or 21st of December, depending on final sign off with contractrors. If this does not happen it may slip into first week of Jan but they are trying to have it open before christmas'.

regards,:)

Fairplay emfifty, looking more like the 21st now for the M9 motorway between Castledermot and Kilcullen.

on checking the Athy destination, it is covered on a number of signs so looks like the new N78 road from Ballitore will not open until later when this road is finished.

At least we can all avoid those silly roadworks at Castledermot...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Again these idiots in KCC should be castrated...... today again HASSLEDERMOT ...messing up the place. we should all club together and buy them an xmas pressie...... A BRAIN!!!! but shur God luv dem.... if they had a brain they probably wouldnt be able to use it!!!!! absolute TOOLS:eek:

If they had a brain they'd hardly be working for a Local Authority! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Spoke to the security guard at the Danesfort roundabout today and he said it will be a "longtime" before the road will be open i.e. Knocktopher - Kilkenny section - couldn't figure that out because it looked fairly ready to me - but if anyone is going to know it's him I suppose

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Spoke to the security guard at the Danesfort roundabout today and he said it will be a "longtime" before the road will be open i.e. Knocktopher - Kilkenny section - couldn't figure that out because it looked fairly ready to me - but if anyone is going to know it's him I suppose

February according to local press this week

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Quietman

Was told the other day Carlow/Kilcullen stretch is opening tues 15th. This was told to me by a pal in dan morrissey's and he said it was definitely confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭sk8board

Quietman wrote: »
    Was told the other day Carlow/Kilcullen stretch is opening tues 15th. This was told to me by a pal in dan morrissey's and he said it was definitely confirmed

ur a hostage to fortune now! but I hope you're right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Quietman

If it's not I'll take away the barriers myself

jimbojazz wrote: »

Dunno, I think i'd prefer info from somebody directly involved with the building ie. an engineer. Did you ask him why it would be so long?

Another person mentioned Ascon were using the old "weather" excuse once again...I would imagine had it been soley the weather then why 30 or 40 miles up the same road is work all but completed on Kicullen-Carlow :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Dunno, I think i'd prefer info from somebody directly involved with the building ie. an engineer. Did you ask him why it would be so long?

Another person mentioned Ascon were using the old "weather" excuse once again...I would imagine had it been soley the weather then why 30 or 40 miles up the same road is work all but completed on Kicullen-Carlow :confused:

I would imagine it the terrain has a lot to do with it. much flatter further north compared with the south

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement