Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

I emailed the NRA here is what they said

Dear Mr. ...

The M9 Kilcullen to Carlow will open on Monday the 21st of December. That is official.

Regards
    Olivia Morgan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

mfitzy wrote: »
    Jay, the M9 Carlow-Kilcullen section is started to have a bit of the Belin Wall feel to it, with people wanting to burst through the barriers :D

It's just sitting there like a big ripe apple waiting to be plucked.
    Only old farmers gates keeping us off it.
    Has to be Thursday, my mate Mick told me Thursday so that's good enough for me.
    Don't care what the NRA say after that, Mick's never wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Kellzer wrote: »
    I emailed the NRA here is what they said

Dear Mr. ...

The M9 Kilcullen to Carlow will open on Monday the 21st of December. That is official.

Regards
    Olivia Morgan

Great stuff not surprised they say different things

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paulfitzg

According to the AA website (see traffic map) the M( opening ceremony will be at 2pm on the 21st December.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

paulfitzg wrote: »
    According to the AA website (see traffic map) the M( opening ceremony will be at 2pm on the 21st December.

Can't find that particular map on AA, ah I'm sure it's there somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 paulfitzg

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/map/map.asp or to navigate www.theaa.ie , click roadwatch Scroll down and click live traffic map for ireland. Zoom in to Kilcullen as icon is hidden behind the roadwors icon when zoomed out

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

paulfitzg wrote: »
    http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/map/map.asp or to navigate www.theaa.ie , click roadwatch Scroll down and click live traffic map for ireland. Zoom in to Kilcullen as icon is hidden behind the roadwors icon when zoomed out
    That looks fairly official alright!
    Kildare - On Mon 21st Dec, the M9 Kilcullen to Carlow motorway opening ceremony will take place at 2pm [URL="javascript:newWindow('../popmap/map.asp?x=277937&y=190232&id=99492&zoomlevel=3')"][/URL]sp01.gifUpdated: 15/12/2009 13:21:43The road will be open to the public by 3pm. The new motorway links Kilcullen to the Carlow bypass and bypasses Castledermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭rocks1981

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

At last, so long Castledermot!

Busy week for the NRA, the M7 Nenagh bypass opens on the 17th, M6 Galway on the 18th, and now the M9 Kilcullen to Carlow on the 21st.

Great to see some of the money from the boom benefiting people with these great motorways finally opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I'm wondering is it possible that the road opens to traffic before the official date.In other words the official date is only the date of the ceremony. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened.It was the case with the Waterford ORR and I'm sure some of the other Motorway projects as well.

• Advertisement

I'm wondering is it possible that the road opens to traffic before the official date.In other words the official date is only the date of the ceremony. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened.It was the case with the Waterford ORR and I'm sure some of the other Motorway projects as well.
    The announcement says that it will be open to the public from 3pm on 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Kildare - On Mon 21st Dec, the M9 Kilcullen to Carlow motorway opening ceremony will take place at 2pm Updated: 15/12/2009 13:21:43The road will be open to the public by 3pm. The new motorway links Kilcullen to the Carlow bypass and bypasses Castledermot.

WOO HOO! :D No more lorries and masses of cars zooming by my bedroom window!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Woo-Hoo!!Just in time to test my theory on Tuesday of getting to Gorey from Nenagh by going East on the M7 to Kildare Village then going West on the M7 and taking the M9 down to the N80! It took me 45min from the M9/N80 interchange to the M7 by going via Carlow and Stradbally. Hopefully I'll save 15min or So!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I see they were lining the M9 at the Danesfort Junction this morning. At least they are almost ready at that end, now just for the Waterford to Knocktopher to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mfitzy wrote: »
    Jay, the M9 Carlow-Kilcullen section is started to have a bit of the Belin Wall feel to it, with people wanting to burst through the barriers :D

I'll arrange the washed up rockers for the gig if we want to recreate that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭placard

Any updates/progress with the south KK section of the M9. Great to hear that they are lining the road at Danesfort now. It was mentioned previously on this thread that they're waiting to open both sections south of Carlow all at the same time.. surely this is unlikely. Besides the Blackwater bridge, the Mullinavat section - which must be finished at this stage - and lining the road I can't think of anything else they have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭sk8board

placard wrote: »
    Any updates/progress with the south KK section of the M9. Great to hear that they are lining the road at Danesfort now. It was mentioned previously on this thread that they're waiting to open both sections south of Carlow all at the same time.. surely this is unlikely.

very likely I'd say. IF they open them one-by one the M9 will end outside knocktopher village, and have to travel through it into Thomastown and continue to carlow by-pass as usual. Not sure they'd inflict that on the small junction in knocktopher village, not even sure it'd take it!

sk8board wrote: »
    very likely I'd say. IF they open them one-by one the M9 will end outside knocktopher village, and have to travel through it into Thomastown and continue to carlow by-pass as usual. Not sure they'd inflict that on the small junction in knocktopher village, not even sure it'd take it!

It was discussed on the thread ages ago that the plan was to open it as far as Danesfort and the work being done on the Danesfort section would signal that this is correct. This would split the traffic giving people the option of going through KK ring road or Thomastown. Given the road to Kilkenny from Danesfort is good including hard shoulder I'm guessing most people would go this way, it adds ten mins to the journey according to google maps but I think it would be even less then that during off peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭sk8board

This would split the traffic giving people the option of going through KK ring road or Thomastown.

would that still require all traffic to come into the village of knocktopher from the Kilmaganny side though?

perhaps I'm confused, is that section ending at Knocktopher or Danesfort?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

sk8board wrote: »
    would that still require all traffic to come into the village of knocktopher from the Kilmaganny side though?

perhaps I'm confused, is that section ending at Knocktopher or Danesfort?

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KilkennyCountyCouncil/N9N10WaterfordKnocktopherKilcullenW/Map,16508,en.pdf

The plan is to open the Knocktopher to Danesford section - Junction 9 - Junction 10 (Part of the Knocktopher to Carlow Project being built by Roadbridge Sisk JV) when opening the Waterford to Knocktopher Project: Junction 10 - Junction 12 (Built by BAM) thus allowing traffic from Waterford to get to Kilkenny without having to go through any villages such as Mullinavat, Ballyhale, Knocktopher etc.

so instead of getting off at Knocktopher (If they were only to open that section ) en route to Dublin/Carlow you would go via the Kilkenny Ring Road instead of Thomastown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Anyone want to harbour a guess at the time it'll take to do Waterford-Dublin when this opens? I'm averaging at around 2 hours 15 minutes from the Quay to O'Connell St, any chance it could be done in less than 2 hours now?

Daysha wrote: »
    Anyone want to harbour a guess at the time it'll take to do Waterford-Dublin when this opens? I'm averaging at around 2 hours 15 minutes from the Quay to O'Connell St, any chance it could be done in less than 2 hours now?

roughly 1:15mins not taking into account traffic in Dublin city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

roughly 1:15mins not taking into account traffic in Dublin city center.

When the entire motorway opens there is no way it can be done that quick.
    Provided there is no traffic the fastest possible time would be 1:36 min

Quay -> M9 = 5 min
    M9 = 58 min
    M7 = 6min
    N7 -> M50 = 12 min
    M50-> city center = 15 min

When Kilcullen to Carlow section opens it will save a MINIMUM of 4.5 minutes in off-peak and 15-20+ min in a rush hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MisterCrown

Paul_D wrote: »
    When the entire motorway opens there is no way it can be done that quick.
    Provided there is no traffic the fastest possible time would be 1:36 min

Quay -> M9 = 5 min
    M9 = 58 min
    M7 = 6min
    N7 -> M50 = 12 min
    M50-> city center = 15 min

When Kilcullen to Carlow section opens it will save a MINIMUM of 4.5 minutes in off-peak and 15-20+ min in a rush hour

Anyone know how long Danesfort to Granny would take ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Anyone know how long Danesfort to Granny would take ?

I estimate about 20 mins

From today's Irish Times
    Kilcullen to Carlow motorway to open
    The €300 million motorway from Kilcullen, Co Kildare, to Carlow is to open next Monday, some nine months ahead of schedule.
    The 27km stretch of motorway will provide a bypass of Castledermot and a new national secondary road to Athy town via the junction at Mullamast in Co Kildare.
    The motorway forms part of the M9 Dublin to Waterford route which is due to be completed in 2010.

Is the Athy link road from Mullamast opening on Monday also? I didn't think it was near ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

From today's Irish Times
    Kilcullen to Carlow motorway to open
    The €300 million motorway from Kilcullen, Co Kildare, to Carlow is to open next Monday, some nine months ahead of schedule.
    The 27km stretch of motorway will provide a bypass of Castledermot and a new national secondary road to Athy town via the junction at Mullamast in Co Kildare.
    The motorway forms part of the M9 Dublin to Waterford route which is due to be completed in 2010.

My husband's birthday is Monday, this is a great gift!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

From today's Irish Times

Is the Athy link road from Mullamast opening on Monday also? I didn't think it was near ready.

I reckon there's at least another 2 or 3 months work left before the link road is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

redalicat wrote: »
    motorways are for life,and not just birthdays.:P

• Advertisement

redalicat wrote: »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Ive been informed that the opening of the Kilcullen-Carlow link has been deferred until January by request of the Transport Minister.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement