Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

MYOB wrote: »
    "there wasn't an invite sent out to me" - yeah, you don't want it to open without a jolly!

but cmon he was so influential in getting the road built that an invite to him is of utmost importance:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Brendan Hennessy on KCLR now-Sue Nunn show with Intel workers from sth east NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

why do these lads thing the area engineer is able to stop this - he's not built a hundred plus km of motorway, roadbridge have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Can we get some bullet points together?
    • One is that the independent safety audit for the NRA had been completed and that it found the motorway safe.
    • Also there are roadworks scheduled until Christmas Eve in Castledermot, this will lead to traffic congestion for no good reason
    • There is a cold spell forecast until after Christmas, statistically motorways are the safest type of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Emailed JOE
    I'd be happy to go on this afternoon to talk about this.

I don't normally listen to JOOOOE DUFFEHHHHH!!! but I finish work around lunchtime so I shall be doing so today. Looking forward to hearing your contribution!

Give 'em timber boy!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

If there was a general agreement to open the road, say at 6pm this Friday, a peoples opening, invite cameras etc, and just open the road, I'd support it! In fact I'd encourage as many people as possible to join. We get some ribbon, a scissors, cut the ribbon, pull the cones and drive the road. People power can't be stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

jcollery wrote: »
    If there was a general agreement to open the road, say at 6pm this Friday, a peoples opening, invite cameras etc, and just open the road, I'd support it! In fact I'd encourage as many people as possible to join. We get some ribbon, a scissors, cut the ribbon, pull the cones and drive the road. People power can't be stopped!

That sounds like a great idea !
    Berlin Wall Style !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is no LEGAL impediment to doing so.

If anybody is on Joe Duffy then ANNOUNCE that

1. The people of the South East are opening THEIR road on Monday at 2PM for safety reasons ( it may be snowing by then anyway).
    2. No Kildare Vintners conspiracy will stand in their way.
    3. No Green or Fianna Fáil TDs Senators or Ministers are welcome unless they CONFIRM their attendance by today at 3pm and that includes Dempsey and Cullen.
    4. No breakfast roll pedlers are invited.

Ye have all weekend to organise the Ceremony itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Here's the mobile numbers of all the FF councillors on Kildare County Council. I suggest you text them all.

http://www.michaelfitzpatrick.ie/ffteam.html

Pat Black - Tel.00353 087 2598506

Willie Callaghan - Tel 00353 086 2341009

Geraldine Conway - Tel 00353 086 8032538

Mark Dalton - Tel 00353 086 4099723

Liam Doyle - Tel 00353 086 3849424

Suzanne Doyle - Tel 00353 045 521046

Daragh Fitzptrick - Tel 00353 087 2538184

Martin Miley Jnr - Tel 00353 087 3998478

Fiona O’Loughlin - Tel 00353 087 2345160

Paul Kelly - Tel 00353 086 2560548

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

mfitzy wrote: »
    Brendan Hennessy on KCLR now-Sue Nunn show with Intel workers from sth east NOW

Woo hoo! They read my text on KFM:), also sent text to Gerry Ryan and KCLR. Will send text this afternoon during Joe Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mpearce

Check this thread everyday couldn't believe the farce on logging in this morning.

If looking for points on Joe don't forget to quote the great Gaybo on his new RSA radio ad.

' This christmas give the gift of safety '

Instead of giving a hi-vis or armband (as recommended by Gaybo!) Dempsey and co HAVE to open this section. As already said IT IS READY.

This country never fails to disappoint.

Emails sent btw - keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Bosie

copy of email received from P Hogan TD- sent email to all addresses listed in an earlier post

Diarmuid Healy/Oireachtas@WEBMAIL
    17/12/2009 10:24 To
    philip.hogan@oireachtas.ie
    cc

bcc

Subject
    Phil's response to emails re roads

Fine Gael Press Statement
    …………………………………………………………………………
    Phil Hogan, TD
    Fine Gael Spokesman on Environment,
    Heritage & Local Government Thursday, December
    17, 2009

Hogan to raise road opening in Dail today

Deputy Phil Hogan will seek a reversal of the decision to delay the
    opening of the Castledermot motorway bypass in Dail Eireann later today.

The Carlow/Kilkenny Fine Gael TD described the decision by the Minister
    for Transport to delay the opening as extraordinary.

“This important connection between Kilcullen and Leighlinbridge will make
    significant savings in time for people and workers commuting daily. Its
    important that this road is open immediately rather than posturing to
    representations from local TDs in Kildare”.

Diarmuid Healy 086-261 9986

Visit www.philhogan.ie
    Information - Press Releases – Dail Debates - Publications - Policies –
    Photographs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

They were talking about this on WLRFM in the last half hour.Conor from AA roadwatch was interviewed and he was saying its crazy that this stretch of motorway will not open before Christmas. We are all fuming about this down here in Waterford too. Its a disgrace that this road won't be opened before Christmas because a few shops and a petrol station have a word with their TD :mad:

Bosie wrote: »
    Hogan to raise road opening in Dail today

Deputy Phil Hogan will seek a reversal of the decision to delay the
    opening of the Castledermot motorway bypass in Dail Eireann later today.

What time do you think this will be? Any TV or radio coverage possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rork

Just joined post today (out of anger).

Emailed the following to Power/Dempsey, copying as many TD's and media outlets as I could find.

Dear Deputy Power & Minister Dempsey,
    I have attached an extract from the Irish times with relation to the opening of the M9. My wife and I both live on the outskirts of Carlow with our young family and work in the Dublin area. My wife is a heathcare professional who commutes daily to
    Hospital in Dublin and I commute daily to Dublin.
    My wife is required to work throughout the Christmas period. Based on the details published below, I will hold you both personally responsible should any accident occur during her commute.
    I am happy to say that my wife’s professional approach to her job will mean that should you or your families need to avail of her services, you will not be wanting, which is more than I can say about you and Minister Dempsey in relation to our wellbeing. Your blatant disregard for our safety is beyond reproach.

I hope that your Christmas will be enjoyable, your continuing endeavours ensure ours will be less so.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭cassette50

It was discussed on WLR this morning at around 10.15. They are awaiting a response from Martin Cullen.

There is only one way this road will open as planned, and that is if we make it very clear, it will be opened by the public, regardless, on Monday!

It's going to be on Joe Duffy between 2:45 and 3. I'll be saying we are going to open it anyway on Monday. Keep the points coming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Mr Goon

Lads, I'm not one for civil disobedience, but this road must open monday, one way or another.

If our 'wonderful' politicians won't do it then we must do it ourselves. The road is finished, its a necessity and any delay in opening it has the potential to cost people their lives.

One thing is more powerful that political incompetance and that is the will of the people. Lets keep this going!

jcollery wrote: »
    It's going to be on Joe Duffy between 2:45 and 3.
    Thanx, will text then & be listening.

• Advertisement

The "Peoples Opening" of their motorway that they paid for with their taxes is schdeduled for Monday at 2PM. It does not belong to Kildare Fianna Fáil, it belongs to teh south east as a whole.

The Kildare people will open 'their end' at Kilcullen and will drive south.
    The Carlow people will open 'their end' at Carlow and will drive north.

Both groups will proceed at 50mph to the far end and will beep like HELL when they pass each other half way.

Once both groups have passed through the section the ceremony is over and a normal motorway service will apply.

Well over half a million people will pass through this section of the M9 over the christmas (over 20,000 cars a day )

Risking the health and safety of half a million people to sell a few greasy breakfast rolls is one the lowest things that FF have ever done to the South East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

If anyone here is going to be on the radio it will be essential to rebuff the nonsense that the road isn't ready.

I suggest:

1) Mentioning the fact that the NRA safety audit has said that it is ready (if it isn't, as Mr Power claims, then surely a fresh safety audit of ALL recently opened roads is required, since obviously the NRA's methods aren't trustworthy)
    2) Roadbridge are our premier roadbuilders. If they say a road is ready, then you can be damn sure that it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'd also be interested to know if Sean Power, the publican backbench FF TD, was one of those who attempted to scupper the recent attempts to reduce the drink driving limit. If he was, then he really is quite the caricature.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

go for it lads and open her up next week

So that is set, The "Peoples Opening" is at 2PM on Monday the 21st of December. 6pm friday is dark and dangerous , it has to be done in daylight at a quiet time outside the rush hour.

As you arrive to do your bit in your car make sure that you make as much noise as possible ...it is a festival after all :D

Everyone is invited to join in the opening of this wonderful new road at 2pm on Monday 21st December!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

This is typical, and if its the petrol station I am thinking of, if they were so concerned about making money, surely they would of been open 24 hours for the last number of years....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kilkennykitten

I never listen to Joe Duffy but I wll be glued to the radio when he is on later, its a fecking joke that this road won't be open this side of Christmas. I'll be heading to Dublin on the 26th so hopefully people power will prevail at the end of the day. If I wasn't working on the 21st I would be up there to help with the opening of the motorway so best of luck everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kildareman007

that particular service station is owned by the most miserable mean family in kildare..... boycott it or you will support his mean miserable attitude. they had it good for years...charging top dollar on fuel, deli etc..... so to hell with them........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭rocks1981

Keep up the good work people. I have emailed my grievances to relevant parties also. was looking forward to driving home to Carlow Wednesday evening. Wont be there 2pm Monday but am 100% behind the movement.

lets keep movin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement