Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

that particular service station is owned by the most miserable mean family in kildare..... boycott it or you will support his mean miserable attitude. they had it good for years...charging top dollar on fuel, deli etc..... so to hell with them........

Are they any relation to Deputy Power?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

jcollery wrote: »
    Everyone is invited to join in the opening of this wonderful new road at 2pm on Monday 21st December!

I should be there on the Carlow side. Anyone else? Whats the plan exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 farq

Already updates on wikipedia.org relating to this backward politician and the South Kildare Bar Owners Cartel

"The planned opening of this scheme on the 21st of December 2009 has been deferred until 2010 at the instigation of Seán_Power_(politician) who is a former Irish Government minister and a notorious lobbyist for Bar Owners in the region."

"On 13 May 2008, shortly after Brian Cowen became Taoiseach, he was appointed as Minister of State at the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources with special responsibility for Information Society and Natural Resources. He served in this position until April 2009 when he was dropped in a reshuffle where the number of junior ministers was reduced from 20 to 15.

Seán was notably quiet since until the South Kildare Bar Owners Cartel persuaded him to organise and front the deferral of the M9 motorway due to open on the 21st of December 2009."

http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/sean-power

His official page also lists his monthly clinics each month which conveniently take place in the bars of South Kildare.

The peoples opening must go ahead on Monday next @ 2pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

On a purely technical matter, people should be aware that there will be barricades up not just at Kilcullen and Carlow, but on every junction/exit sliproad as well. I worry that if people open the road themselves, some will find that they cannot exit the motorway where they might want to and foolishly reverse back down the sliproads. Folk should think very carefully about this indeed before they do anything rash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Leave them alone and let the county councils remove them .

At 2PM on Monday 21st the only barriers to be removed are the ones on the main motorway at both ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Should make sure to take the patches off the signs as well so the road continues to get a flow of traffic after the ceremony is finished. No point in making it easy for them to simply re-erect the barriers. Going to try and be there myself, not sure if I can get time off work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

To reiterate...

The "Peoples Opening" of their motorway is schdeduled for Monday 21st at 2PM.

The Kildare people will open 'their end' at Kilcullen and will drive south.
    The Carlow people will open 'their end' at Carlow and will drive north.

Both groups will proceed at 50mph to the far end and will beep like HELL when they pass each other half way.

Once both groups have passed through the section the ceremony is over and a normal motorway service will apply.

Well over half a million people will pass through this section of the M9 over the christmas (over 20,000 cars a day )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kildareman007

why bother opening it ourselves..... shur the bloody cops will arrest us and we will end up in the stew........ meanwhile the fat cat politicians will be laughing all the way to the pubs or filling station (yip the texaco one in crookstown) for a big fat brown envelope>>>>

...apart from the cost, the road safety, the hypocrisy and the sheer banana republicness of it all

to do nothing makes it okay.

why bother opening it ourselves..... shur the bloody cops will arrest us and we will end up in the stew.

The cops cannot arrest and impound 100s of cars and people for no legal reason other than attending a "Peoples Opening" of a motorway. No matter what noise they make they have no choice but to let it go ahead.

Furthermore any cop who tries it on is liable to be personally sued by anybody who is injured on the old stretch over the christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Bosie

Well Done Mr. Noel Dempsey, You have ensured that I will never vote Fianna Fail again as long as I live. Your latest bizarre act as Minister for Transport is the final straw for me.
    The decision to delay the opening of the Castledermot bypass is the biggest joke decision I've ever heard. How can the National Development Plan be treated seriously when decisions like this are made. Not even the image of Mr. Dempsey cutting a ribbon will get you some credibility out of this one. On a similar note, why oh why did Kildare Co Co and the NRA decide to carry out road works for a couple of weeks in Castledermot just before the motorway was due to open? Hour-long tailbacks each evening with the imminent opening of a nearby bypass. Surely there could have been coordination to do these road works once the new road was opened, or is that too far fetched an idea?

According to KCLR (Carlow local radio) there is a commuters group in Carlow who are signing a petition and sending it to each business owner in Castledermot declaring that they will never spend a penny in that town again and to never shop there even for a packet of cigarettes. I'm sure commuters from Kilkenny and Waterford will join something like this too.

Summary of the decision to delay Castledermot bypass opening:
    Winner - Local Councillors who will probably get re-elected by local Castledermot people
    Loser - Commuters who badly need this bypass
    Loser - Castledermot Businesses that are boycotted
    Loser - Noel Dempsey, Sean Power and Government / Fianna Fail credibility

Val Falvey is such an accurate portrayal of the way things work in Ireland. How can we possibly take our politicians seriously with decisions like this? The answer is we cannot take you seriously. And as for Noel Dempsey's stuttering appearance on Morning Ireland... get some lessons on Public Speaking man! This is serious!!!

Matt Dunne

PS, no doubt Minister Dempsey will be wrapped up nice and warm flanked by the usual cronies for cutting the ribbon when the bypass opening eventually does occur. As a matter of interest, how much has the Government spent on huge slabs of praise announcing motorways and bypass openings?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

jcollery wrote: »
    To reiterate...

The "Peoples Opening" of their motorway is schdeduled for Monday 21st at 2PM.

The Kildare people will open 'their end' at Kilcullen and will drive south.
    The Carlow people will open 'their end' at Carlow and will drive north.

Both groups will proceed at 50mph to the far end and will beep like HELL when they pass each other half way.

Once both groups have passed through the section the ceremony is over and a normal motorway service will apply.

Well over half a million people will pass through this section of the M9 over the christmas (over 20,000 cars a day )

should the barriers to other junctions be opened and remove and plastics from signs by the convoy? is 50mph too fast if you were to do this?

should the barriers to other junctions be opened and remove and plastics from signs by the convoy? is 50mph too fast if you were to do this?

Leave them to the councils, does anybody actually WANT to visit Castledermot on Monday ????

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

Furet wrote: »
    On a purely technical matter, people should be aware that there will be barricades up not just at Kilcullen and Carlow, but on every junction/exit sliproad as well. I worry that if people open the road themselves, some will find that they cannot exit the motorway where they might want to and foolishly reverse back down the sliproads. Folk should think very carefully about this indeed before they do anything rash.

The Kilcullen end of the motorway is secured by two large steel skids on each hard shoulder which has two gates attached with a chain and padlock. The skids cannot be moved manually and would require lifting equipment of some description. I assume the Carlow end is sealed similarly.

Received this in response to a complaint I made last night about the M9.
    Dear Shane,

I refer to your email in relation to the postponement in the opening of the
    N9/M9 motorway.
    I have this morning contacted the office of Noel Dempsey T.D., Minister for
    Transport outlining my annoyance at the postponement in the opening of this
    much needed piece of national infrastructure. I have outlined the fact
    that to compound matters surface dressing is currently taking place at
    Castledermot which is causing major delays in Carlow traffic using this
    roadway.
    I understand that Minister Dempsey is out of the country at the moment
    attending a Transport Ministers meeting but I have asked his officials to
    convey my message to him as a matter of urgency.
    Yours sincerely,
    M.J. Nolan T.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Furet wrote: »
    Post news of where the M9 issue is being discussed on radio here.

Its on the front page of the Herald. Didnt buy it though because it's a rag

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Joe has it as his first story in his preview. First time i've listened to radio 1 daytimes and kfm in ages!

What time??

no idea, sorry. Preview was just on now. He's blaming the traders entirely!

1.45 is the first item.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry for the wobbly moderation on my part today lads. I'm under a bit of pressure. I hope it hasn't been too annoying for you all :o

I'll reopen this thread, but I must sternly warn against any advocacy of a Peoples' Opening of the M9 here. Abide by this. Keep the discussion coming, and keep updates and news coming, including radio, newspaper and TV coverage, as well as email responses from elected representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

"Any details on the road deaths...when and where... even rougly.... Seems Mr Cowen may be about to issue a direction on this ..."

I'm in correspondance with a journalist on this issue, here's what he just emailed me.... hopefully the taoiseach will provide some badly needed leadership

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    "Any details on the road deaths...when and where... even rougly.... Seems Mr Cowen may be about to issue a direction on this ..."

I'm in correspondance with a journalist on this issue, here's what he just emailed me.... hopefully the taoiseach will provide some badly needed leadership

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/father-and-son-killed-in-horror-minibus-collision-1671592.html

A FATHER who was killed alongside his son in an horrific collision with a minibus was described as a "happy-go-lucky" man yesterday.
    Michael Connors (49) and his son, Gerry (21), were killed in the crash which happened shortly after 8.30pm on Wednesday on the N9 between Kilcullen and Castledermot in Co Kildare.
    The pair were close to the turn-off for their home in Milltown, Ballitore, when the accident occurred. They were travelling home from Carlow when they crashed into a minibus travelling in the opposite direction.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0129/rta.html?rss

A 29-year-old man was killed on the main N9 Road in Co Kildare this morning.

The collision happened at 8.20am in Gorteen near Castledermot.
    Advertisement

The man was killed when the car he was driving crossed over to the other side of the road and hit an oncoming vehicle. The driver of the other car sustained minor injurie

is cowen not on the gulfstream to denmark right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rork

Just received from MJ Nolan

Dear ,
    I am glad to be able to inform you that following on my representations to
    Minister Dempsey he has agreed to sanction the opening of the new M9/N9
    motorway for Monday next, the 21st December.
    The official opening will take place later in January.
    I am glad that this matter has been resolved and may I take the opportunity
    of wishing you and yours a happy Christmas and a peaceful and safe 2010.
    Yours sincerely,
    M.J. Nolan T.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I've heard on good authority that Biffo is about to step in on this one and that the M9 Kilcullen to Carlow will open this side of Christmas. Sorry I can't be more specific but an Irish Times journalist told a colleague of mine this around an hour ago.

Mods, feel free to delete if you feel I'm being too cloak-and-dagger but I'd rather not mention where I work.

Dear J,

I am glad to be able to inform you that following on my representations to
    Minister Dempsey he has agreed to sanction the opening of the new M9/N9
    motorway for Monday next, the 21st December.

The official opening will take place later in January.

I am glad that this matter has been resolved and may I take the opportunity
    of wishing you and yours a happy Christmas and a peaceful and safe 2010.

Yours sincerely,

M.J. Nolan T.D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

heard there is a uturn on the uturn on Today fm...

any confirmation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement