Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

Just announced on Today fm news,

It will be open on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

We've won:
    Following recent statements I wish to confirm that I never sought to postpone the opening of the M9 Carlow-Kilcullen road.
    I understand it is intended to open this road on Monday next and I trust you'll be happy with this development.
    Kind regards.

Seán Power TD
    Main Street
    Newbridge
    Co. Kildare
    Tel: 045-432289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Breaking news, they have backtracked Dempsey requests the road be opened on schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Kildare - The M9 Kilcullen to Carlow will open on Monday 21st December 2009
    Updated: 17/12/2009 12:51:03
    The new motorway will link Kilcullen to the Carlow bypass and bypasses Castledermot.

from aa roadwatch.

well done people.
    pat on the back for everyone.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

identical email here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

People Power works!

Finally a bit of common sense!

I wonder if the shops/garages will protest at the opening? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Yes its just been announced on Newstalk 106fm that Noel Dempsey has instructed the NRA to open it next Monday........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I received a phone call from Michael Fitzpatrick TD to tell me the road is infact opening Monday. Well done to the power of the people.

mike65 wrote: »
    They can protest all they want, once they realise it'll destroy any pity/trade from motorists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

rork wrote: »
    Just received from MJ Nolan

Dear ,
    I am glad to be able to inform you that following on my representations to
    Minister Dempsey he has agreed to sanction the opening of the new M9/N9
    motorway for Monday next, the 21st December.
    The official opening will take place later in January.
    I am glad that this matter has been resolved and may I take the opportunity
    of wishing you and yours a happy Christmas and a peaceful and safe 2010.
    Yours sincerely,
    M.J. Nolan T.D.

Fair dues to Min. Dempsey...........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

mike65 wrote: »

They can protest all they like.

What did they seriously think was going to happen. They delay the opening of a vital piece of infrastructure and everyone pats them on the back?

No.

They delay the opening of a vital piece of infrastructure and the bitter motorists who have been forced onto the "old" road by them will avoid their facilities completely.

Well done to all who e-mailed/rang, a very good result, and very quickly achieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Great result I was talking to Sean Power for about 10 minutes this morning. Great result

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Yes StarSpangler is correct as I told you all along, I'll admit i did wobble a bit, but not opening. Fact.

Wobbling again eh Tom?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

For the next 4 days, while you crawl through Castledermot, make sure you beep your thanks continously to the locals who elected Miley and Power ...the gobsh1tes who lobbied to put the opening back to January.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

I would not be overstating the situation to say that only for the lobbying done here this u-turn would not have been achieved. WELL DONE!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 arcus

NRA to open the M9 on Monday..................just confirmed on Radio 1 News at One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horray for the HAY!!!!! (and the NRA...............)

radio 1 news saying the dot made a "handbrake turn", oh god their joke writers are poor

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Hail hail

So happy here folks

Well done one and all for the really quick reponse to this terrible decision.

I'm convinced that all the emails, telephone calls etc were the cause of this decision being changed

Citizens of the year award to this group on Boards!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Is Joe Duffy still going to cover this topic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I'm embarrassed this farce was allowed to happen in the first place. To think they contemplated letting a 27 km of top-notch, safety-ehancing roadway lay idle, beggars belief.

Dempsey should not be allowed anywhere near the opening ceremony. Nor should Peter Malone. Disgraceful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I hope Joe does.

The Minister of Transport and the Local FF yahoos were prepared to countenance a miserable and dangerous trek for over half a million people this christmas so that they could get their brown envelopes in the pubs of Castledermot this christmas. Each road death costs €2.3m see

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62972504&postcount=23

Ballinaslow is bypassed from tomorrow, yahhhhayy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 arcus

This is a serious U Turn.

On KFM radio this morning all local TDs, FF & Labour and FF councillors, and Kildare County Council’s spin doctor Charlie Talbot justifying the postponement of opening til the new year, trying to blame the local KCC area engineer for the hold-up - what a load of wafflers!!!!!!!!

Pathetic flannel and verbal diarrhoea from all those public servants - how embarrassing!! - but a great result in the end - Monday will be a fantastic day for all motorists who use the M9.

Bon Voyage....................................
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kilkennykitten

Get in :D Well done everyone.

The Listowel sexual assault controversy is first up, that'll keep Joe going for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

arcus wrote: »
    This is a serious U Turn.

On KFM radio this morning all local TDs, FF & Labour and FF councillors, and Kildare County Council’s spin doctor Charlie Talbot justifying the postponement of opening til the new year, trying to blame the local KCC area engineer for the hold-up - what a load of wafflers!!!!!!!!

Pathetic flannel and verbal diarrhoea from all those public servants - how embarrassing!! - but a great result in the end - Monday will be a fantastic day for all motorists who use the M9.

Exactly. Obviously they were lying through their teeth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Paajer

Well done everyone, great result!! I have to say fair play to Sean Power for contacting people personally this morning. Absolutely delighted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Great news indeed! What an appallingly useless government we have...

In utterly more mundane and dull news, the N78 from Kilcullen to Athy is now signed as the R418 at the top of the Southbound off-ramp at Kilcullen. The R418 currently runs from Tullow - Castledermot - Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

AndrewMc wrote: »
    In utterly more mundane and dull news, the N78 from Kilcullen to Athy is now signed as the R418 at the top of the Southbound off-ramp at Kilcullen. The R418 currently runs from Tullow - Castledermot - Athy.

I'm also chuffed at what live democracy can achieve when some facts are brought into the public domain - road geeks are now officially good for something :D

On this redesignation, I suppose we have to see this as an extension of the R418 to Kilcullen rather than a complete re-routing. We'll need to decide by Monday, when it'll be time to update OSM, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

Maybe this has been asked before,but will ask anyway..

Will the road be tolled??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement