Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

I've no doubt this u-turn was due to the rapid lobbying organised by the denizens of this forum (+C&T, Carlow regional board and a few others)
    Well done all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

steelbar wrote: »
    Maybe this has been asked before,but will ask anyway..

Will the road be tolled??

There will be NO Toll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Yes, well done to all concerned.

I had sent the following to Kildare FM and the Pat Kenny radio show on Radio 1:
    The M9 Kilcullen to Carlow motorway scheme due to open on Monday next, December 21st, has been delayed until January by local business interests it seems who are worried about potential loss of Christmas trade.

Its a total disgrace that interests such as these can lobby a TD who can then in turn lobby the Transport Minister Noel Dempsey and succeed in delaying a vital piece of national infrastructure from opening when it is ready to open. This is a particularly excellent example of local parish pump gombeenism politics on display. If any road accidents occur that result in the deaths of anyone along the stretch of N9 that is to be bypassed by the new scheme, will these same local business interests feel any guilt. Probably not, their snouts will be stuck in the trough as usual. The line "to fumble in a greasy till" from one of W.B. Yeats poems comes to mind..........

Yours etc.

XXXXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Bosie

Who were these "greedy business interests"?
    I would like to know as i drive past them for the very last time this evening.
    no work tmw :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kildareman007

i would like to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart and my wifes bottom as well for this marvelous achievement...........congrats to all concerned. without our banter etc.. this would not have happened. I listned to the gombeens on KFM this morning......total bull from them all especially Wall. Next time round with elections - Wall = 0 votes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

People should still email/write/phone and suggest that the people responsible for this farce are not fit to hold public office. What planet are they living on? I mean even given the stereotypes about Ireland, things are getting better and there are limits to just how far you can take this kind of nonsense nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

I notice there's no mention of a time for the opening on Monday. I know it was originally 3pm but there is no similar confirmation this time. Have I missed it somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'd just like to explain the reason for my poor moderation decision upthread.

I was just starting to worry a little, as the momentum to stage a "Peoples' Opening" seemed to have been conceived here and was rapidly building on the thread. A statement of intent was made to have citizens remove the barriers themselves and open the motorway. But there is at least one set of exits on that section of M9 which would also have barriers in place at the top of the sliproads. I thought people might forget about this, and that you'd then have people drive up said sliproads, realise they were closed, and then reverse back onto the motorway - which would be incredibly dangerous. Not to mention the dangers of cyclists, pedestrians etc., who would perhaps be unaware of the Peoples' Opening, coming into harm's way. I was concerned that ultimately, if such an action were to occur, it might be construed as the fault of boards.ie.

I'd been doing about three or four tasks simultaneously and my head was frazelled, so I locked the thread after seeking advice (though not an instruction) from an Admin. But I realised a little later that a simple warning would probably have done the job (like, Duh, Furet!) and backtracked after consulting with Blunt.
    Regardless, we won the war! And people will have a much better and safer commuting experience this Christmas because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bosie wrote: »
    Who were these "greedy business interests"?
    I would like to know as i drive past them for the very last time this evening.
    no work tmw :p

I'd believe you'd be getting warm around Ballitore.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Furet

at one stage i was about 7 or 8 pages behind, so locking it gave me the opportunity to catch up.

I like to add my thanks to everyone who took action as i didn't get to that stage.
    Well Done everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

testicle wrote: »
    I'd believe you'd be getting warm around Ballitore.

Its the Texaco station and the pub.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Wow, I leave the computer and radio for work at 12:15 and it all gets solved! :D Congrats, all, to a job well done. We proved that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Power to the people!:cool: Looking forward to seeing photos of Monday. Anyone know what time?
    Furet wrote: »
    I'd just like to explain the reason for my poor moderation decision upthread...

No worries, I'd have done the same myself under pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Furet, you should read the mod manual (never apologise, never explain!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EUSTY500

Just goes to show what a bit of protest can achieve. Great work everyone. Bye Bye Castledermot!! :D

poor old Castledermot, getting hammered all the time. Perhaps when the Motorway is open the place might get a new lease of life. Hopefull the existing business will not suffer too much especially the Maxol station which provides a great service and is run by nice people. Best of luck to them in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

poor old Castledermot, getting hammered all the time. Perhaps when the Motorway is open the place might get a new lease of life. Hopefull the existing business will not suffer too much especially the Maxol station which provides a great service and is run by nice people. Best of luck to them in the future

because it's a dump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Furet wrote: »
    I'd just like to explain the reason for my poor moderation decision upthread.

Ah, we all make the odd mistake here and there, think nothing of it, because as you said...
    We won the war! And people will have a much better and safer commuting experience this Christmas because of it.

Indeed, mate! In-bloody-deed! :D

falabo wrote: »
    because it's a dump
    well done falabo, you must have went to pre school if thats the best you can come up with ! well done and keep up the good work. twat

The Last Word on Today FM will be covering this from 4.45ish

http://www.todayfm.com/LivePlayer.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Any maps of this new road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

NRA have a map of it on their website.

Also, openstreetmap as the route shown as an under construction road: http://osm.org/go/es8chQu--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

well done falabo, you must have went to pre school if thats the best you can come up with ! well done and keep up the good work. twat

Ah, would you show a bit of cop-on.

You could argue falabo's original post may have been sharp and lacking in substance.

But there's an appropiate way of responding.

Calling someone a "twat" isn't. You know that. I know that. So just don't do it.

As for the "pre school" comment, well I'd insist you refrain from that... more to avoid personal embarrassment than any breaking of the Boards.ie rules.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Speaking of new maps i was in texaco in crookstown recently and most of the maps they were selling didn't even have the proposed motorway on them.

Maybe the owners thought they could blaock the opening indefinitely:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Absolutely great news and well done to everyone for the effort in getting this decision reversed.

But spare a thought for us poor souls in Waterford / South Kilkenny who'll still have to endure that murderous stretch between us and Paulstown because of the slowness in completing this section of the route - given especially that the Waterford - Knocktopher section is already months behind schedule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Its the Texaco station and the pub.....

I would have thought that was obvious. There isn't much else in Ballitore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

Hi all,
    I know we throw a lot of grenades at each other on all these forums every day, but we should all take a bow this evneing if this gets opened on Monday.

This is true democracy at work. Its not China, the people can speak and (sometimes) be heard.

(btw, I'm watching the first season of the West Wing all afternoon, so feeling a bit patriotic! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Sean Power is on NewsTalk with George Hook right now...

He claims he was upset there was a lack of communications. Says the NRA said road would be delayed by months in a meeting only last Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

martin miley on Matt Cooper now "welcome to the circus" , a sophisticate :D

Miley is blaming the FG lads on de area committee and the Area Engineer . He refutes responsibility , Seán Power blamed him on Morning Ireland this morning. He is also blaming the IFA for it.

It will open at Midday say the NRA.

NRA chap on Coops programme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

A huge thanks to all of ye for your motivation in getting this ludicrous decision overturned. My email to Mr Demsey was a bit less subtle than the ones shown here but what a fantastic result!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement