Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

southbound opening from 12 noon northbound afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

NDA guy on Cooper said "the road has been ready now just for the past few days. We've been asked to open it on Monday; it'll open on Monday'

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

jimbojazz wrote: »
    But spare a thought for us poor souls in Waterford / South Kilkenny who'll still have to endure that murderous stretch between us and Paulstown because of the slowness in completing this section of the route - given especially that the Waterford - Knocktopher section is already months behind schedule

I've been driving the Waterford-Dublin road for 20 years, never thought we'd be this close to having motorway the whole way. As Jimbojazz said, us Waterford folk still have to drive those stinking Kilkenny roads for the next while yet. If you think Castledermot is a dump, you obviously haven't experienced Gowran and Thomastown. :eek:

Thanks to those decent people in the Castledermot Maxol for the loo stops and the better than expected coffees that got me over the line for the past few years. That's just about the only thing I'll miss along that horrible road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Havent had a chance to read back through the day’s events yet, but just want to say a big thanks to everyone who lobbied for this. From listening to the local councillor on Matt Cooper it definitely sounded like there was a pre text there to stall the opening to give locals sufficient knowledge or some nonsense like that. In my 22 years it was the first time I've ever contacted the media or a politician over anything but having had to commute on the awful southern section of the N9 last year and seeing so many fatal accidents on the route over the years made the whole thing as disgrace.

For the record, of the list of TD's contact email addresses listed here last night, only FF MJ. Nolan and FF Sean Power TD replied.

This thread surely has to be put into a boards.ie vault sometime!! People power at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madmanmike

Hi,

I have been following this tread since August. I have a keen interest in this road being open as I am from Dungarvan and live in Dublin but commute quite frequently.

I had to become a full member today as I just thought that the people power on this tread and the anger that was shown was immense.

It's due to the impact and the information that we can get from the Internet. If this happened 10 years ago, the road would be closed till the summer and none of us would be the wiser.

So thanks to all that rightly refused to be put down from the high of the news that it was initially opening and then not. Alot of respect and here's hoping that the other sections will be pushed along now.

My xmas starts on Wednesday when I hit that new road.

Thanks again and happy xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

My god, this forum has been busy over the past few days. Power to the people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

NRA spokesman just been on the RTE Radio 1 'Drivetime' programme. Confirmed that Dept. of Transport had requested the road opening be delayed until January but had then been told to open it again on Monday next. He declined to give a reason for the supposed delay despite being pressed by the presenter (who mentioned the local lobbying by businesses along the route).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

We all know what stunt was attempted here.
    There are two shocks:

1) That it was attempted at all; and
    2) That people power prevailed.

As madmanmike said above, the internet won the day. The AA and Conor Faughnan did an absolutely tremendous job too, but were it not for the counter-lobbying and constant emailing of various media and political representatives by users and viewers here and elsewhere, the gombeen men would undoubtedly have prevailed, contentedly fumbling in their greasy tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Had an entertaining monring, spoke to Enda Kenny who said Phil Hogan was going to raise the matter then I spoke to Phil Hogan who confirmed he was going to raise it in the Dail and said he was trying to get the Dept. of Transport to clarify the issue.

Then I spoke to Sean Power for a good while and he said he had lobbied previously to get an interchange at the Priory but he hadn't looked for a delay. I told him about the campaign here and advised he be proactive and contact the Dept of Transport and get them to reverse the decision which has been done thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Been away from the 'net since around 13.00 and when I heard nothing on Joe Duffy, I thought "damn it, this Listowel case has taken precedence and now nothing will be done".

However, it was just fantastic to see an e-mail in my inbox from Deputy Power stating that the road will in fact now open on Monday. Whether he did or didn't make representations, we may never know, but at least one of our 166 golden boys and girls in the Dáil realise you don't fcuk with an angry - and informed - populace.

It's a small matter in the grand scheme of things, but it shows us what can be achieved when we all pull together. All of us (and I'm proud to include myself), please TAKE A BOW!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Although I'm not from the region I've been following the debate.

Here we have an outrageous attempt by local businesses to keep their profits at the expense of people's lives.

Sean Power is an absolute disgrace of a politician. He's been caught out trying to do a favour for someone and is desperately trying to spin/lie his way out of it. He's allowed Noel Dempsey to get foolishly embroiled in this as well - this from a man who is supposedly interested in safety as a first priority on the roads, and who changed the drink driving law for that very reason.

Well done to everyone here who got this changed. It's all about pressure - if enough of us apply it, we will get results.

One more thing - for God's sake people of Kildare South, do not elect this idiot again.

Just been a report on RTE's Six-One news. Claiming a mid-day opening on Monday for the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Well done everybody. The internet is, evidently, serious business, and I hope this performance will not be the last in the War on Gombeenism :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

i feel proud to have been part of this in particular last night. I sent 27 emails, 1 for each glorious km. Well done lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Any maps of this new road?

Is a bear Catholic?

For now, the alignment shown is based on surveys of the local roads crossed. It will be resurveyed and marked open soon after the road is open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭placard

Seen the coverage on the RTE 6.1.. good unbiased report.. pity to hear people will be losing their jobs in the current climate though. If they would do something about those motorway services they could start employing people again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hi lads i have been an avid reader of this forum as i commute Dublin to Carlow everyday. Before today ive never emailed a local representative or rang a radio station but i joined the boards campaign.

I never believed that the ordinary people who use these boards could affect a change of mind at a political level. But for people to be mobilised the way they were today shows what can be done. Before today i was one of those people who didnt think one person can cause change, however if people come together like we did today lives can be saved and common sense can prevail. Well done everyone hopefully it will be a safer christmas period for everyone as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

placard wrote: »
    Seen the coverage on the RTE 6.1.. good unbiased report.. pity to hear people will be losing their jobs in the current climate though. If they would do something about those motorway services they could start employing people again!

It seems the powers that be completely underestimated the boards.ie knowledge about this topic.

knowledge is power. S. 'Power' is just a politician who tried to look after his locals but failed.

Power to the people.:)

DSCF9967.jpg

DSCF9963.jpg

I don't buy this business of the engineer being caught off guard. Anyone with eyes in their head could see the road was nearing completion, and we'd had reports her MONTHS ago that we were looking at a December 2009 opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

im happy about the resolution, but im sad at the fact that our hard work and persistence will probably go un-noticed.

im hoping that the Irish times run a story tomorrow on the u-turn and mentions boards.ie.

im also happy at the fact we have seen sooooo many new people to this section of boards, and hope to see them in the future.

it nearly brings a tear to my eye, that we the people have a voice and if we stick together and rise up ( just like the pensioners revolt ) all-beit more quickly, that we can make a difference, and hopefully save some families from hearing bad news over the christmas period.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Its funny when you mention the phrase "internet campaign" to a TD they seem to take a breath in fear

rameire wrote: »
    im happy about the resolution, but im sad at the fact that our hard work and persistence will probably go un-noticed.

im hoping that the Irish times run a story tomorrow on the u-turn and mentions boards.ie.

After reading your post I sent a short email to newsdesk@irishtimes.com stating just that. :) It's not like you can rely in the NRA to keep you appraised of scheme construction progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paulfitzg

The only downside of the road opening is that I will miss the excitement of checking this thread for updates every day.

Well done everyone everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

As a long time reader, and only just posting as this made my blood boil well done everybody. I will be making a special effort to try the new road on Monday!

Furet - Excellent modding, sorry if I contributed to a stressful day!

RTE's Six-One news now up on RTE Player

Report on M9 Kilcullen to Carlow is at 32 minutes 28 seconds. Interestly, immediately before it, that car crash in Comber, Co. Down is mentioned in which 3 people were killed. Similar scenarios will hopefully be much reduced in Kildare & Carlow with the opening of the new scheme on Monday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yeah, big thumbs up for Furet and the excellent work done in general but today especially.

Thanks a million. :)

Great to see Boards.ie being used to get together large numbers to make a big issue about the road. People power folks, its great seeing it in full swing and so quickly with such great success. Pat on the back to everyone who got involved. Also, a big welcome to Boards.ie for all the new folk who signed up recently. Hope to see you sticking around - its a big site with lots to see and do, so enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I have been gobsmacked by the response over the last 24 hours. I have never felt the need to email a public representative before yesterday evening. It is actually a little frightening what happens and the reaction you get if you push people too far. Dempsey and Power were taking us for fools and I don’t like it.

I must admit I was somewhat impressed by Power, as it was the only reply I got to my emails. Although he denied asking for the opening to be delayed!

Furet, I was wondering are there any stats on this thread over the last 24 hours?

Also, thanks to everyone’s efforts in ensuring common sense prevailed.

My views are my own.

johnbk wrote: »
    Furet, I was wondering are there any stats on this thread over the last 24 hours?

I've asked Conor if he can produce some stats. I'll post when he gets back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Interesting this shows the activity of last weeks posting giving the top posters also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

paulfitzg wrote: »
    The only downside of the road opening is that I will miss the excitement of checking this thread for updates every day.

Well done everyone everyone.

Dont go yet..we still have BAM dragging their heels finishing the Waterford-Knocktopher section;)

1 year late but still on-time if you beleive what was printed in the 'Munster Express' newspaper last week!

Its great to think that in the end it only took about 15 hours to get Dempseys decision overturned. Any coincidence it was announced just before 1pm to head off getting it discussed for half an hour on Liveline....damage limitation comes to mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement