Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

I'm delighted that the opening is back on from Monday. We will get to experience what will literally be our first QUIET Christmas on the old N9.

All my input related to firsthand information on the work at the Kilcullen tie-in etc. so I doubt if I'll have much to add in the future!

Well done to all who emailed, phoned, texted etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

But you did start all this mayhem yesterday with your post below.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Ive been informed that the opening of the Kilcullen-Carlow link has been deferred until January by request of the Transport Minister.
    I'm delighted that the opening is back on from Monday. We will get to experience what will literally be our first QUIET Christmas on the old N9.

All my input related to firsthand information on the work at the Kilcullen tie-in etc. so I doubt if I'll have much to add in the future!

Well done to all who emailed, phoned, texted etc!!

If you hadn't got us that info before this morning we might not have been able to mobilise so well. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭placard

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    we still have BAM dragging their heels finishing the Waterford-Knocktopher section;)

I guess we'll have to just put up with the crappy n9 for another month. Motorway as far as Carlow makes the journey a bit more bearable. Does anybody have pics/updates of the Mullinavat junction. I think it was mentioned on the thread before that the blackwater bridge was finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Snakeyes

Hello Lads and Lassies..
    This is my first message.. I had to congratulate everyone who collectively
    forced home a common sense result..
    I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to Monday now..

Many thanks to the Maxol staff. Very down to earth and genuine people at
    the Kildare pittstop.

One last thing.. Please don't forget the pain and headaches this
    fianna-will-fall-next-year shower have thrown our way.
    Hurt them where it hurts.... In Big numbers at the PoLLs.
    Chau peope's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

paulfitzg wrote: »
    The only downside of the road opening is that I will miss the excitement of checking this thread for updates every day.

Well done everyone everyone.

Thats true, but there is still the two southern sections to discuss. For someone travelling from Waterford, Waterford -Paulstown journey must strike fear/dread into their hearts. It sure does to me!!

Well done to everyone on this thread. To see so many good stand-up citizens being so pro-active is heartwarming. We've been talking about it all day in work.
    I wonder is this the first time the politicians have been confronted by the power of the internet plus enraged citizens. They should take note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Until 6 months ago, the Waterford end looked FAR more progressed than Kilcullen-Carlow, but work seemed to slow to a crawl, while the north section roared ahead.

I understand this was because the focus was moved to getting the N25 open - although lovely, its very under-used, its a pity the M9 wasn't finished first.

Especially as the worse part of the Dublin-Waterford road is now going to be the last to be finished.

I really can't wait to say goodbye to Mullinavat, Ballyhale, Thomastown, Dungarvan, Gowran and Paulstown.

Hitherto surely one of the worse sections of national road in the country.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

I really can't wait to say goodbye to Mullinavat, Ballyhale, Thomastown, Dungarvan, Gowran and Paulstown.

Likewise, save one. From that point of view..good riddance to the traffic :D

Thanks to all for the inforamtion in the thread. Been waiting a long time for this road!

C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Us too. I realised tonight is the last Thursday night we will have to listen to the traffic while watching TV or trying to sleep. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I know everyone involved with sending emails etc really did themselves proud but do we know what influence, if any, our work had on the decision to re-instate the opening.
    Can't wait until monday....... can't fuppin' wait

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hipster2009

redalicat wrote: »
    Us too. I realised tonight is the last Thursday night we will have to listen to the traffic while watching TV or trying to sleep. :D

sorry tell you but because of the placing of the entry points to the new road all people coming from tullow, shillelagh etc will still go through castledermot and join new road at killcullen:

Dont count on it being opened on monday as i wont believe it untill it happens!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madmanmike

and i have to add when i originally said i was commuting from dungarvan it wasn't that 25m in Kilkenny, it was the Fungarvan in Waterford!

sorry tell you but because of the placing of the entry points to the new road all people coming from tullow, shillelagh etc will still go through castledermot and join new road at killcullen:
    Would it not be handier for them just to join the motorway at the Castledermot interchange??

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Would it not be handier for them just to join the motorway at the Castledermot interchange??

Of course it would but you wouldn't be able to get your breakfast roll that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Just to say thanks to all for the updates reports and the excellent pictures of the Kilcullen to Carlow section. Also for the southern sections aswell. Lookin forward to this road the most with the possible exception of the M7 Roscrea to Limerick sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

sorry tell you but because of the placing of the entry points to the new road all people coming from tullow, shillelagh etc will still go through castledermot and join new road at killcullen.

Be that as it may, the traffic would have to be considerably less than it is now, and I would think most of the lorries would use the M9. They're a lot of the jarring noise going by and/or honking.:eek: A few regular cars going by won't be near as bad as it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jawantyergoboy

Long time reader, first time poster. Great job by everyone over the last few days, and many thanks of all the great photos. :D

Q- is this road tolled ?
    I didnt think it was tolled, or else someone has it wrong somewhere ?

See Todays Irish times for the piece on M4/M6 opening
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1218/1224260899098.html

"Motorways between Dublin and Limerick, Cork and Waterford featuring two tolls each are scheduled to open next year."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

johnbk wrote: »
    Furet, I was wondering are there any stats on this thread over the last 24 hours?

Date|Guests|Members
    Normal|25|8
    Monday|28 (+12%)|10 (+25%)
    Tuesday|37 (+32%)|14 (+40%)
    Wednesday|56 (+51%)|20 (+43%)
    Thursday|96 (+71%)|37 (+85%)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Long time reader, first time poster. Great job by everyone over the last few days, and many thanks of all the great photos. :D

Q- is this road tolled ?
    I didnt think it was tolled, or else someone has it wrong somewhere ?

See Todays Irish times for the piece on M4/M6 opening
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1218/1224260899098.html

"Motorways between Dublin and Limerick, Cork and Waterford featuring two tolls each are scheduled to open next year."

inaccuracy on the Times part. The motorway to Limerick will have one toll (and one on the tunnel). The motorway to Waterford will have no toll (and one on the bypass).

From IOL (Ireland OnLine) News
    Dempsey: Other parties lobbied to have road opening delayed
    18/12/2009 - 13:53:16

The Transport Minister Noel Dempsey has revealed that it was not just Fianna Fáil TDs that lobbied him to not open a new stretch of motorway in Co Kildare.

Mr Dempsey made the comments as he officially opened the country's first fully complete inter-urban motorway.

A debacle emerged yesterday about the M9 stretch from Kilcullen to Carlow.

An official opening for next Monday was initially called off amid claims retailers along the old road were worried about the loss of business.

The road will open to traffic on Monday, with the official ceremony put off for a month.

Former Junior Minister and Kildare South FF TD Sean Power admitted he lobbied for the official opening to be put off until the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Former Junior Minister and Kildare South FF TD Sean Power admitted he lobbied for the official opening to be put off until the new year.

Then why did he send me and presumably everybody else on here that mailed him this response yesterday lunchtime...

Following recent statements I wish to confirm that I never sought to postpose the opening of the M9 Carlow-Kilcullen road.
    I understand it is intended to open this road on Monday next and I trust you'll be happy with this development.

Kind regards.

Seán Power TD
    Main Street
    Newbridge
    Co. Kildare
    Tel: 045-432289

So were we fed a porky by Power or have the press misquoted him ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

madmanmike wrote: »

and i have to add when i originally said i was commuting from dungarvan it wasn't that 25m in Kilkenny, it was the Fungarvan in Waterford!

Drove down from Dublin to Waterford last Sunday and couldn't believe how dangerous that part of the N9 is. It was pitch black and those cats eyes on the road are not worth a damn. I was never so happy to get home in one piece as i was last Sunday. My heart goes out to those people who have to drive that section often. Hopefully the next section of the M9 will be open soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    So were we fed a porky by Power or have the press misquoted him ...

I would say even Mr Power can't remember which version of the truth is the most accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

mickger wrote: »
    It was pitch black and those cats eyes on the road are not worth a damn. I was never so happy to get home in one piece as i was last Sunday. My heart goes out to those people who have to drive that section often. Hopefully the next section of the M9 will be open soon.

The maintenance of national roads in this country is really sub standard, cats eyes are never replaced, lining is always wearing and poor road surfaces come as standard. The upkeep of cats-eyes would make a big difference of driving on some tight S2's at night. Given the tighter budget this year, the state of our roads are only going to get worse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Here is Mulinavat junction this morning looking sout towards Waterford. Still alot of work to do. Final surface down on one side only.

4195493294_1530163b12_o.jpg

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

tech2 wrote: »
    The maintenance of national roads in this country is really sub standard, cats eyes are never replaced, lining is always wearing and poor road surfaces come as standard. The upkeep of cats-eyes would make a big difference of driving on some tight S2's at night. Given the tighter budget this year, the state of our roads are only going to get worse :(

I could not agree more Tech2. The reflective quality of cats eyes on Irish roads is nothing short of appalling. The term "Third world" is not inappropriate here. You are right - even if that was all that the NRA were to do to single carriageways roads on the national primary and secondary routes that would be a huge step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Will hopefully get on the new road in daytime on the 24th so weather permitting i will upload a video of the new stretch from Kilcullen to Carlow and back.

New signage has popped up quite rapidly in the last 24 hours all around the kilcullen junction.
    The N78 is changing to an R road as previously speculated to the R418 as the speed is being downgraded to 80km/h.

At the Athy end of the new Link Road some further work as been done on the roundabout. they have laid down more hard core and it looks ready for its first layer of Mr T Mac.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The Transport Minister Noel Dempsey has revealed that it was not just Fianna Fáil TDs that lobbied him to not open a new stretch of motorway in Co Kildare.

That's right minister ... it was Fianna Fail councillors as well!

If you are saying it is anyone else ... name them :mad:
    Sean Power wrote:
    Following recent statements I wish to confirm that I never sought to postpone the opening of the M9 Carlow-Kilcullen road.

Astonishing double-speak (i.e. lies) from the party of double-speak.

As I said before, people of Kildare South, remember this when the next general election comes up. Remember, Sean Power put the lives of you and your families at risk by seeking to do a favour for a buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Guys and Girls of this particular post, I would like to thank you greatly for the effort you have all put into your campaign. We're moving to Carlow this weekend from Dublin and our move was timed with the opening of the new stretch of M9 to make the commute back to Dublin more beareable. Hearing the news of a delay made my blood boil, especially thinking we'd have to travel through CastleKermit twice a day! I for one really appreciate the effort you all put in. If I'd seen this post on the day I too would have been sending emails to our elected representatives.

Thanks for a job well done!

now.. Anyone wanna help me move this weekend? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

VR6 wrote: »
    I could not agree more Tech2. The reflective quality of cats eyes on Irish roads is nothing short of appalling. The term "Third world" is not inappropriate here. You are right - even if that was all that the NRA were to do to single carriageways roads on the national primary and secondary routes that would be a huge step forward.

I take it you have never been to a third world country then where untarmaced roads would be the norm.

I have been in 'first world' countries where they don't use 'cats eyes' at all eg Netherlands, so your comment is a bit OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭placard

johnbk wrote: »
    Here is Mulinavat junction this morning looking sout towards Waterford. Still alot of work to do. Final surface down on one side only.

Jeez.. would have taught they'd have more done by now. Must be a small amount of resources on the job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement