Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

emfifty wrote: »
    I have left a message with Sean Power's office seeking clarification on this issue. If it's true Sean Power admitted trying to postpone the decision to open the new m9 motorway then his integrity is now in question for me especially having denied it to members on this board.:(

regards,

PS. no mention of the board's influence on reversed decision in irish times today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1218/1224260899213.html

"The reversal of the Minister’s initial decision took place after strong protests from south Kildare commuters, the AA and regional politicians."

I'd like to think thats me, I was in touch with that jounalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

passed through Castledermot for the last time earler; fittingly it is on a crappy night to be out driving. roll on the motorway tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

redalicat wrote: »
    Article in the Sunday Business Post here:

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/m9-kilcullen-section-to-open-tomorrow-46373.html

Now the business trade on the N78 is invoked as the reason for the first reversal? :rolleyes:

WHAT business on the N78? Its only a small section being detrunked and many people will use it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

sk8board wrote: »
    passed through Castledermot for the last time earler; fittingly it is on a crappy night to be out driving. roll on the motorway tomorrow.
    same as myself, my god its a terrible road and to think they wanted to keep the motorway closed till the new year. Fair play to everyone here helped stop this from happening and i like to think ye all have saved a life by making sure it opens tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Heres a few more pics of Waterford-Knocktopher,tried to get a good few of the Mullinavat-Knocktopher section which is very rural and I havent seen many pics of it on here.

Starts off inside the first 1km outside Waterford northbound with Tory Hill in the background.
    4199856545_c3619aacfa_b.jpg
    This is how the Mullinavat Junction is looking, the hard shoulder has top layer and what looks like just top layer to put in on the main carraigeway.
    4200670986_6344d1e8ab_b.jpg
    Just North of Mullinavat. Plenty of landscaping and barrier work to be done on the 3-4km stretch to Lukeswell Bridge.
    4199912019_aca0fa147d_b.jpg
    Lay-by between Mullinavat and Lukeswell on the northbound carraigeway.
    4199908001_57101e57f3_b.jpg
    Northbound with the Lukeswell bridge over the current N9 visible in the distance.
    4200657856_5beccdd85c_b.jpg
    From Lukeswell to Knocktopher the road climbs over some higher ground.On all this section catseyes are installed southbound but currently missing northbound. Apart from that, some areas of landcaping need to be fixed up and all signage. The first 1km from Waterford is the only piece with signage up so far.
    4200652658_e97ee241c7_b.jpg
    Pretty cool contrast all along this section between several old farmhouses right alongside the M9. Apart from farms theres very little else along this stretch.
    4199893411_6d8896de54_b.jpg
    Getting closer to Knocktopher in the Hugginstown area about 3km from the Knocktopher junction.
    4200642690_d72c7c8d9d_b.jpg

4200619530_f96475f5eb_b.jpg
    About 1.5km from Knocktopher the undulation of the road from a distance is quite deceptive. This whole shot is at least a mile in distance.
    4200632426_d0cf5c39df_b.jpg
    Finally the Knocktopher Junction facing north.
    4200628250_fffe4d53c0_b.jpg

Given the amount of landscaping,painting,barriers, cat eyes and top layer to be installed on the 5-6km stetch around Mullinavat and Lukeswell given BAM's pace it must be at least early February to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Drove through this morning at 7:45am & the trucks were out lifting cones.
    Word on the radio was that it'll be open for traffic at 2pm.
    Funny because I'd heard midday quoted last week.
    I presume these things always run over anyway.

As long as it's open & gritted for 5pm I'm not bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm a biker too. If you're hitting the cats eyes whilst cornering you're obviously too wide for the road and just as likely to be hit by an oncoming vehicle, sure a wet white line or tar banding are just as lethal in those circumstances.

I'd say there are a hundred more dangerous things for irish bikers on the roads than cats eyes tbh, starting with other drivers!

I'm a biker also and I agree with all of the above. In fact I don't think I ever had problems with cats eyes. Painted lines are something different though - particularly in the wet!

redalicat wrote: »
    Article in the Sunday Business Post here:

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/m9-kilcullen-section-to-open-tomorrow-46373.html

Now the business trade on the N78 is invoked as the reason for the first reversal? :rolleyes:

I was at a meeting in JULY with Roadbridge where it was discussed that the target was to open the motorway in December '09. In fact, I think I posted that information here. How any councillors etc can say they only found out last week is beyond me. If a resident on the N9 knew 5 months ago how did the council not know? The simple fact is the council did know it would be finished and any councillor who says different is a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just passed by kilcullen and 2 tractor and trailers parked on south side facing north3 Garda cars there is there a protest???

Villain wrote: »
    Just passed by kilcullen and 2 tractor and trailers parked on south side facing north3 Garda cars there is there a protest???

I noticed them driving up the new southbound lane at the tie-in this morning at about 7.45. Three tractors with two pulling trailors. I was hoping they were with Roadbridge but had my doubts. I didn't want to believe the opening might be delayed over a farmer protest!!

• Advertisement

They appeared to have livestock in the trailors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

I'm guessing that they're starting to shift things now, considering the huge tailback in front of my house (I'm not far south of the Kilcullen overpass):
    4202311585_c91a5fe7bc_b.jpg

4203070706_32cb5ab2b1_b.jpg

MYOB wrote: »
    WHAT business on the N78? Its only a small section being detrunked and many people will use it anyway.

Exactly! I used to drive the N78 for two years when I lived in Athy, so I know the road pretty well. I can't recall that much trade on the road.

Great photo's Redalicat, keep us posted.
    I should have been more nostalgic driving the old N9 this morning.
    Only dawned on me when I arrived in work that I might never see the turns offs for Kilgowan, Narraghmore, Calverstown or Crookstown ever again :(:(:(.

Sorry, I meant :D:D:D

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Drove through this morning at 7:45am & the trucks were out lifting cones.
    Word on the radio was that it'll be open for traffic at 2pm.

AARoadwatch are reporting 2pm:
    *M9/KILDARE* The M9 Kilcullen to Carlow Rd will completely open to traffic at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

Cant wait, might even go for a spin this evening!!

Traffic is now being diverted off the N9 onto the N78 and then back on the motorway at the Kilcullen junction. The temporary ramp from the old N9 up onto the motorway has been dug up already. The n78 junction is causing a tail-back. The new motorway should be open in an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

mackerski wrote: »
    I can't think of a single European country (except UK) that does use cats eyes except in special circumstances.
    In New Zealand, (granted its not officially a first world country and is not geographically a European country) they have fantastic Cats eyes, lane painting on ALL roads, as well as reflective poles about a meter high on both sides of the road showing reflective white on the left and reflective yellow on bends on the right. They are all highly maintained (I believe they are cleaned, repaired and replaced every 6months to a year) they make nighttime and bad weather driving a hell of alot safer and easier! You can see where the road is going well in advanced and can use reflectors to follow the road without being dazzled by on comming cars! I believe if NRA took roadsafety half as seriously as NZ Road transit lives would be saved and the financial costs of accidents dramatically reduced! "ROADSAFETY IN IRELAND" BULLS**T!!!!!!!!!!!

Traffic is now being diverted off the N9 onto the N78 and then back on the motorway at the Kilcullen junction. The temporary ramp from the old N9 up onto the motorway has been dug up already. The n78 junction is causing a tail-back. The new motorway should be open in an hour or so.

I was wondering how they were going to safely lift the cones & realign the contraflow.
    That makes perfect sense now that I think about it.
    They've probably already removed the temporary gates blocking the entrance to the new motorway.
    Keep us posted Star Spangler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I was wondering how they were going to safely lift the cones & realign the contraflow.
    That makes perfect sense now that I think about it.
    They've probably already removed the temporary gates blocking the entrance to the new motorway.
    Keep us posted Star Spangler.

i saw them moving those bollards at 8.20 this morning at the kilcullen end.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Saw a few vehicles, including a camera crew driving onto the new section at the Carlow end 20 minutes ago, not open yet though

Praise the LORD, although I hope they gritted it, it looked very icy this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.991&lon=-6.8&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF
    Still needs to be resurveyed, and the junction at the athy link road is missing, but looks ok.
    Rendering at the higher zoom levels isnt finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Roryhy wrote: »
    Whats the story with Athy traffic from Monday, the link road isn't finished so they will continue to use the old N78 which i heard had been downgraded to an R road, hence 80kph limit. This will be frustrating for commuters, same road, 20kph lower limit, no choice. Please tell me they have sense and wont implement the downgrading of the N78 until the link road is finished:confused:

Yesterday evening the speed limits were still 100km/hr. I'm guessing the downgrading will wait until the new link road is complete. The directional signage has only been updated at Kilcullen; I guess for the sake of a few months it's not worth doing twice.

Of course, I have little faith in the NRA properly updating the rest of the signage when they should either (how long has it said N7 on the Dublin Road in Limerick, or N9 in Carlow?).

I'm honoured to be the first to say it here but, the M9 Kilcullen to Carlow motorway is NOW OPEN!!

I'm honoured to be the first to say it here but, the M9 Kilcullen to Carlow motorway is NOW OPEN!!

I toast an imaginary beer in work to all involved & all here who kept us updated.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sean Power is still a c**t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rork

How can you steal Noel Dempsey's thunder..............Great news...tnx for the update

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Quick question, coming north (from Kilkenny), can you access the "old N9" going South at the Kilcullen exit? Someone making that journey today, destination a few miles south of Kilcullen on the "old n9", past the priory pub.

jd wrote: »
    Quick question, coming north (from Kilkenny), can you access the "old N9" going South at the Kilcullen exit? Someone making that journey today, destination a few miles south of Kilcullen on the "old n9", past the priory pub.

Yes. Turn right at the top of the ramp in the direction of Athy then take next left.

Edit: Sorry I should have said no you can't. The old N9 is for residents only. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 MaireadK4

Is the exit for Athy changed now? I noticed the signs at the current exit (Kilcullen) have a temporary Athy sign stuck at the bottom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement