Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I would have thought that when the Waterford - Kilkenny section is open in February the best and safest way to do it would be Wexford-New Ross. Then New Ross-Waterford (15 mins) and Waterford bypass to M9 (say 5 min) and M9-Kilkenny (20 mins).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

I drove this northbound (Carlow to Kilcullen) today during daylight and so could easily see the surrounding countryside. The road sertainly does not disappoint, it's very smooth and has plenty of slight curves to keep the driver from being bored. The surrounding coutryside is hilly with some nice views, especially one of a small forest near Kilcullen - quite unexpected really since Kildare is generally very flat.

The traffic was pretty heavy so I can only imagine what it would have been like in Castledermot had it not opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

Drove new stretch twice either side of christmas. What is up with the cats eyes? There is a noticeable difference in thud as one drives over them on kil-car section than on the other sections. It feels like they are not regressing into the road as easily as they are meant to when driven over, its more like hitting small rocks in the road. Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kilkea

ohlordy wrote: »
    Drove new stretch twice either side of christmas. What is up with the cats eyes? There is a noticeable difference in thud as one drives over them on kil-car section than on the other sections. It feels like they are not regressing into the road as easily as they are meant to when driven over, its more like hitting small rocks in the road. Anyone else notice this?

Yep, I drove up to Dublin from junction 3 this morning just after 7 and it was the first thing I noticed when i went to change lanes. They are sitting higher in the road than the Carlow bypass but maybe they will settle down after some more traffic.
    Nice road though, very impressed with the overall finish by Roadbridge, thought the twists are very nice, they might also help tired drivers pay more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

jd wrote: »
    When this road is complete, would the best/safest/quickest way to get from Wexford to Kilkenny be to take the R704 from New Ross to Mullinavat and then on to the new motorway, rather than the R700 through Thomastown?

I think that will be the quickest way anyhow. Not that far from Ross over to Mullinavat where you meet the M9 to outside Kilkenny. That road is not the greatest in some parts mind, but the R 700 is hardly much better so it would seem the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

just found my camera after i mislaid it last week.
    i promised a video, but i doubt you want a 19 min headache.
    some parts are ok but most of the video is very shaky.

but here are the pics of the road signs around the kilcullen junction.

4229189780_6ed777c0dd.jpg4229188154_b9356dd0b1.jpg
    pic one is road sign at top of slip southbound on m9 kilcullen junction, pic two is sign on current n78 on junction with road leading to newbridge, near kilcullen junction
    4228418627_4a1499f057.jpg4229188154_b9356dd0b1.jpg
    pic three is sign looking west just before junction with road that leads to newbridge, pic four is sign on current n78 on junction with road leading to newbridge, near kilcullen junction
    4229181262_4915db0bea.jpg4229179002_86723d1882.jpg
    pic five is road sign at junction with r448 the old n9 looking north, pic six is road sign looking east on current n78 before junction with current n9

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Upload the video anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

okily dokily.
    it will take some time though.
    1.3gb onto youtube.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

NedNew wrote: »
    I drove this northbound (Carlow to Kilcullen) today during daylight and so could easily see the surrounding countryside. The road sertainly does not disappoint, it's very smooth and has plenty of slight curves to keep the driver from being bored. The surrounding coutryside is hilly with some nice views, especially one of a small forest near Kilcullen - quite unexpected really since Kildare is generally very flat.

The traffic was pretty heavy so I can only imagine what it would have been like in Castledermot had it not opened.

speaking of castledermot and kildare...... castledermot was the last town in Co. kildare on a national primary route to be bypassed!! :) (possible future trivia Q!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Nice signage (but pic 5's signage appears to be sort of repetitive with the two M9 arrows). I like the large blue patching. Has all of the old N9 been re-signed already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

emfifty wrote: »
    speaking of castledermot and kildare...... castledermot was the last town in Co. kildare on a national primary route to be bypassed!! :) (possible future trivia Q!)

It managed to spend 5 full years with that status, since the Monasterevin BP opened.

Is Kildare the only county with no single carriageway national primary at this stage I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

MYOB wrote: »

Is Kildare the only county with no single carriageway national primary at this stage I wonder?

I reckon so.
    Carlow, Offaly and Clare next I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I reckon so.
    Carlow, Offaly and Clare next I'd say.
    Is the N19 not single carriageway at it's end? If so then Clare will be unlikely to join that list ever tbh.

Dublin could be a surprise candidate if the NRA gets it's way and detrunks all N routes inside the M50 ring.

Laois is also one that will join the list next year when the M8 M7 scheme opens. Galway is a longer term candidate foir this list which is surprising given the size of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Superb road, really quiet surface but in some places, the surface can make a weird whining noise...I was doing 120km/h but have low profile tyres. Anyone else hearing this?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

wellbutty wrote: »
    Superb road, really quiet surface but in some places, the surface can make a weird whining noise...I was doing 120km/h but have low profile tyres. Anyone else hearing this?!

Yep, noticed this, too, but only on some parts. We were going 110km due to weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

murphaph wrote: »
    Is the N19 not single carriageway at it's end? If so then Clare will be unlikely to join that list ever tbh.

Dublin could be a surprise candidate if the NRA gets it's way and detrunks all N routes inside the M50 ring.

Laois is also one that will join the list next year when the M8 M7 scheme opens. Galway is a longer term candidate foir this list which is surprising given the size of the county.

fair point, didn't know where that n19 stopped these days.

Dublin will have the single carriageway N32 and N31. Unless they de-trunk those, and the N2 south of Ardee and re-route the N2 over the N33...... ;)

sorry for goin off topic so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Furet wrote: »
    Nice signage (but pic 5's signage appears to be sort of repetitive with the two M9 arrows). I like the large blue patching. Has all of the old N9 been re-signed already?

I exited at J3 a week ago, and there were still N9 signs on it. I reckon, if they're true to form, it'll only be resigned as the old signs are stolen, blown over or knocked down. €300m for a motorway but they can't afford to re-sign the old road properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

wellbutty wrote: »
    Originally Posted by wellbutty
    redalicat wrote: »
    Yep, noticed this, too, but only on some parts. We were going 110km due to weather conditions.

I'm glad this was mentioned - I got exactly the same thing last night - I thought there was something wrong with my car or with my tyre. I was going about 110 km/h too.

It's strange and I've never experienced it anywhere else. It happened for me southbound but I don't remember it happening for me Northbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

Right all - bring you back to the road that isn't open; Waterford - Kilkenny!

There is an article in this week's Kilkenny People (by Tess Felder) quoting Kilkenny Co Co's Joe Gannon that this part of the road will open mid Feb. He blames the weather. The article also suggests (or Mr Gannon suggests) that the road will still be "delivered...well ahead of schedule". He does this by using the journalist's ignorance of the difference in the schemes to Knocktopher and from Knocktopher.

I suggest we harness the power of boards.ie to ensure that journalists such as this are educated on the facts in the delays inherent in the Waterford - Knocktopher scheme and not let the contractor or Kilkenny Co Co away with this misuse of language in claiming the road is well ahead of schedule!.

Please join me in emailing the Kilkenny People to put the record straight and to keep pressure on to get this road open ASAP!.

NedNew wrote: »
    I'm glad this was mentioned - I got exactly the same thing last night - I thought there was something wrong with my car or with my tyre. I was going about 110 km/h too.

It's strange and I've never experienced it anywhere else. It happened for me southbound but I don't remember it happening for me Northbound.

It happened for us going both south and northbound. Unlike Wellbutty, we don't have low profile tyres, just regular ones on a saloon car. I've driven on both brand new and newly resurfaced motorways before (though it was more in the States) and heard road noise with the tyres, but not exactly like this sound.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The stretch of road from Waterford - Kilkenny is a nightmare. I'm convinced people drive extra slow on it and its very difficult to pass out safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Maxalon

Hi all,
    Just wondering if it is know what the expected journey time between Waterford & Dublin will be once everything is completed?
    As I have recently moved to W'ford & commute to Dublin, but looking at jobs in Cork (Which is about 1 hour 20 mins for W'ford)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Maxalon wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if it is know what the expected journey time between Waterford & Dublin will be once everything is completed?
    As I have recently moved to W'ford & commute to Dublin, but looking at jobs in Cork (Which is about 1 hour 20 mins for W'ford)
    Thanks

Waterford to Dublin will be about 1hour 30 mins once the Motorway is complete

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We should inform Noel Dempsey and Kildare Fianna Fáil about this.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0103/weather.html
    Meanwhile, a man is in a critical condition and two others were injured in a road crash on the N9 Carlow to Kilkenny road early this morning.
    All three men were taken to St Luke's General Hospital Kilkenny.
    The road has been closed and gardaí are advising motorists to take extreme care when travelling in the area, as road conditions are treacherous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We should inform Noel Dempsey and Kildare Fianna Fáil about this.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0103/weather.html

AA website is suggesting it was on the N10:

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=107450

But this M9 needs to open ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

kiwipower wrote: »
    Woo-Hoo!!Just in time to test my theory on Tuesday of getting to Gorey from Nenagh by going East on the M7 to Kildare Village then going West on the M7 and taking the M9 down to the N80! It took me 45min from the M9/N80 interchange to the M7 by going via Carlow and Stradbally. Hopefully I'll save 15min or So!!!!!!!

Tested my theory driving from Limerick to Gorey on Wednesday 23/12 Drove east on the M7 to junction 10 and turned back west then headed down the M9 to Carlow (N80) junction. Given weather conditions it took the same amount of time as traveling down the N80 from Port Laois east junction.

Came back from Gorey via the M50 onto the M7, yesterday. Again given weather conditions this journey also took the sametime or was slightly quicker.

Guess it will just come down to which ever one I feel like driving at a time! If only the M50 was more reliable this would be the easiest route!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Tested my theory driving from Limerick to Gorey on Wednesday 23/12 Drove east on the M7 to junction 10 and turned back west then headed down the M9 to Carlow (N80) junction. Given weather conditions it took the same amount of time as traveling down the N80 from Port Laois east junction.

Came back from Gorey via the M50 onto the M7, yesterday. Again given weather conditions this journey also took the sametime or was slightly quicker.

Guess it will just come down to which ever one I feel like driving at a time! If only the M50 was more reliable this would be the easiest route!

Now if only you could drive from the M7 eastbound straight onto the M9 southbound, you'd be in business, but the authorities in this country continue with this "all roads lead to Dublin" nonsense with the M7/M9 and soon the M7/M8 interchanges. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

fricatus wrote: »
    Now if only you could drive from the M7 eastbound straight onto the M9 southbound, you'd be in business, but the authorities in this country continue with this "all roads lead to Dublin" nonsense with the M7/M9 and soon the M7/M8 interchanges. :mad:
    it would be fantastic if there was a decent interchange even if you had to come off one onto a couple of roundabouts and then back on! Doesnt need to be a free flow interchange!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

I was in Waterford Airport this morning dropping off a family member and was very impressed by the hassle-free atmosphere. However, with dodgy roads and some ice it took almost 90 minutes to travel the 68km down the N9. When the M9 is complete, will this journey show a substantially faster time? I'd love to be able to use Waterford Airport more for UK trips, and I'm sure it will benefit from easier access from the whole SE.

• Advertisement

it would be fantastic if there was a decent interchange even if you had to come off one onto a couple of roundabouts and then back on! Doesnt need to be a free flow interchange!

I've often wondered why this isn't in place as transitioning from the M9 to the M7 would have helped me in a few drives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement