Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

roryq wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about that.. I finish up in purcellsinch at 5.30 most days when I'm in Kilkenny and that ring road is a nightmare..Between the Dublin road roundabout and the blackwater one.

It all comes down to opinion of course, but I prefer frustration to fear; I'd rather sit in rush-hour traffic for a while than pass within feet of huge trucks on a bumpy, twisty road, on a rainy night, at a closing speed of 150 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The 3rd anniversary of this section coming up next....and it's still not open. Carlow-Kilcullen has started after and opened in the meantime.

Pretty shocking it has to be said;
    http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=8819&lang=ENG&loc=2127

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Great Article but

"At its northern end, the N9 will connect into the N7 for Dublin, Limerick, Portlaoise, Belfast and elsewhere."

Do the people in charge understand that it won't link to Limerick and Port Laoise etc as pointed out on this discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Nigel Sage wrote: »
    Great Article but

"At its northern end, the N9 will connect into the N7 for Dublin, Limerick, Portlaoise, Belfast and elsewhere."

Do the people in charge understand that it won't link to Limerick and Port Laoise etc as pointed out on this discussion

Last time I checked you could go north-bound from the M9/M7 Interchange and take the Naas East-Bound off-ramp (J10) and get onto the M7 West-Bound to Limerick at this interchange?

therefore the M9 does link to the the M7 Dublin,Limerick Portlaoise Belfast etc.

Yes it would be better to have all movements catered for at the M9/M7 (J11)Interchange but a few extra miles on Motorway to Naas South is not a huge deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dugganm07

Took a spin on the Waterford to Knocktopher section yesterday. I was passing the mullinavat junction and noticed there was no barrier. I saw an opportunity and I took it :). I drove as far as the knocktopher exit. I have to say it is one of the better pieces of new motorway I’ve seen, the surface is defiantly the smoothest and there is a fantastic straight road from the hugginstown area to knocktopher and beyond. The road is largely complete. There is just one section of road (about 200-300 meters or so) near the lukeswell bridge that needs a top surface and lining. Other then that it is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Bards wrote: »
    Last time I checked you could go north-bound from the M9/M7 Interchange and take the Naas East-Bound off-ramp (J10) and get onto the M7 West-Bound to Limerick at this interchange?

therefore the M9 does link to the the M7 Dublin,Limerick Portlaoise Belfast etc.

Yes it would be better to have all movements catered for at the M9/M7 (J11)Interchange but a few extra miles on Motorway to Naas South is not a huge deal

The queues of traffic around M7 J10 can be mental at rush hour; that "few extra miles" could take 20 minutes or more. You'd be better off coming off at Kilcullen and going up through the Curragh (to J11), which is a sad state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kieranb07

AndrewMc wrote: »
    The queues of traffic around M7 J10 can be mental at rush hour; that "few extra miles" could take 20 minutes or more. You'd be better off coming off at Kilcullen and going up through the Curragh (to J11), which is a sad state of affairs.

Its true, i get off at this exit going home nearly every mon-fri and it takes a good 10-15 min at peak time to get onto the otherside of the junction in order to get to the exit for the motorway to go back south on the M7,

Disclaimer: All of the below has been dreamt up in the space of 15 min so if im inaccurate with anything dont get narkey with me. redface.gif

It would make so much sence to make a little 2-lane 1/2 mile slip road between A and B(Marked A and B in the link below) from the M9 to go south on the M7, than having to go up to J10 Naas South and back down which is about 8.5 mile.

But then there is the problem of traffic going North on the M7 wanting to go south on the M9, this would require a tunnel under or a fly-over bridge on both of the motorway's, or just leave them go up to J10 and back down.

Other option would be to upgrade the road from the Kilkullen Junction to the Curragh junction maybe even to a dual-carrageway which i dont think they will do because correct me if im worng, it runs along side a millitary zone and some buildings so i dont think they could increase the size of the road or the amount of traffic.. plus its land on the curragh, dont know what the regulations would be for digging it up on building a whole new road on it..

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=M9&daddr=53.166919,-6.76599&hl=en&geocode=Ff82KwMd1OWY_w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&doflg=ptm&sll=53.170135,-6.747665&sspn=0.015255,0.045447&ie=UTF8&ll=53.186082,-6.743374&spn=0.060997,0.181789&z=13

dugganm07 wrote: »
    Took a spin on the Waterford to Knocktopher section yesterday.

:D

You don't know how jealous that makes me!

I have to say it is one of the better pieces of new motorway I’ve seen, the surface is defiantly the smoothest and there is a fantastic straight road from the hugginstown area to knocktopher and beyond.

Maybe the three years' wait has been worth it then, eh? ;)

Roll on 12 March!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

kieranb07 wrote: »
    Other option would be to upgrade the road from the Kilkullen Junction to the Curragh junction maybe even to a dual-carrageway which i dont think they will do because correct me if im worng, it runs along side a millitary zone and some buildings so i dont think they could increase the size of the road or the amount of traffic.. plus its land on the curragh, dont know what the regulations would be for digging it up on building a whole new road on it..

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=M9&daddr=53.166919,-6.76599&hl=en&geocode=Ff82KwMd1OWY_w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&doflg=ptm&sll=53.170135,-6.747665&sspn=0.015255,0.045447&ie=UTF8&ll=53.186082,-6.743374&spn=0.060997,0.181789&z=13

According to Google Maps it is an extra 13 km or so which would take 9 minutes (assuming no hold ups at J9 Naas-Newbridge).

A slip road from M9 North to M7 South should at least be constructed in the short-term. It shouldn't be too difficult.

On average it can take 7-8 minutes to get from J2 Kilcullen on the M9 to J12 Newbridge South/Curragh along the back road through the Curragh (I've done it many times). If a slip road was constructed as suggested then the Motorway route would measure approx 12 km (from Kilcullen to the hypothetical new slip road to J12 Newbridge) which at 120km/h would take 6 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Had a good look at the Mullinavat-Lukeswell section today.Phone battery died so no pics! Practically all the top layer is now down along the entire length of the project. The only gap is a small section of the central reservation around Mullinavat. All the signage in the area is up now aswell.

The expansion joints are being put in on the Lukeswell bridge over the N9 at the moment. The entire northbound carraigeway from Waterford-Knocktopher is now lined with the exception of a couple of hundred metres at Lukeswell. Southbound still has 3/4km to go.

However there are still no wall mounted cat eyes to be seen. The 2/3km from Waterford which had been done and subsequently started falling off have been all taken away again. Presumably they will be installed again before March 12th!

One little odd fact, somebody has seemed to have messed up the distance sign heading north just past Mullinavat. At the start of the Motorway at Waterford, Dublin is 151km away. Pic taken a few months back.
    4041824181_95f31759a3_b.jpg

...but 8km up the road Dublin is 153km away apparently. Hopefully its an easy fix! Unfortuently on that sign pictured above, since then some muppet has painted an extra '1' in yellow spray paint next to the 8km for Mullinavat.

• Advertisement

Took a spin on the Waterford to Knocktopher section yesterday. I was passing the mullinavat junction and noticed there was no barrier. I saw an opportunity and I took it :). I drove as far as the knocktopher exit. I have to say it is one of the better pieces of new motorway I’ve seen, the surface is defiantly the smoothest and there is a fantastic straight road from the hugginstown area to knocktopher and beyond. The road is largely complete. There is just one section of road (about 200-300 meters or so) near the lukeswell bridge that needs a top surface and lining. Other then that it is complete.

Good for you ;)..but how did you get away with this. Thought it was fairly well secured all the time. Damn thing should be open to us all now so you were dead feckin' right imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

Had a good look at the Mullinavat-Lukeswell section today.Phone battery died so no pics! Practically all the top layer is now down along the entire length of the project. The only gap is a small section of the central reservation around Mullinavat. All the signage in the area is up now aswell.

The expansion joints are being put in on the Lukeswell bridge over the N9 at the moment. The entire northbound carraigeway from Waterford-Knocktopher is now lined with the exception of a couple of hundred metres at Lukeswell. Southbound still has 3/4km to go.

However there are still no wall mounted cat eyes to be seen. The 2/3km from Waterford which had been done and subsequently started falling off have been all taken away again. Presumably they will be installed again before March 12th!

One little odd fact, somebody has seemed to have messed up the distance sign heading north just past Mullinavat. At the start of the Motorway at Waterford, Dublin is 151km away. Pic taken a few months back.
    4041824181_95f31759a3_b.jpg

...but 8km up the road Dublin is 153km away apparently. Hopefully its an easy fix! Unfortuently on that sign pictured above, since then some muppet has painted an extra '1' in yellow spray paint next to the 8km for Mullinavat.
    Pity about the phone. I'd love to see some photos of this section.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

AndrewMc wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me figure out who'd need to make this journey.

If you're coming from the M9 area, say Athy or Carlow, you'd use the R417 or the R415. If you're in Kilcullen, you'll use local roads (it would be faster anyway). The motorways have a Y-shape so to cross the arms of the Y would be an unusual journey.
    NedNew2 wrote: »
    A slip road from M9 North to M7 South should at least be constructed in the short-term. It shouldn't be too difficult.
    It isn't, but would result in a large area of sterilised land. The space cordoned off by such a road couldn't ever be used for any purpose and in the industry is known as "dead land". From Gmaps, I calculate it to be 32 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

spacetweek wrote: »
    From Gmaps, I calculate it to be 32 acres.

Out of interest how do you calculate that? Sure if tighter curves are allowed on the M50 and other motorways, then a similar apporach could be used here, cutting down on land acquisition. Obviously it would have to be signed well in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

It isn't, but would result in a large area of sterilised land. The space cordoned off by such a road couldn't ever be used for any purpose and in the industry is known as "dead land". From Gmaps, I calculate it to be 32 acres.

Who cares? If the slips are needed, just build them - anyway, the 32 acres could be planted (with native trees) and somewhat returned to nature, instead of being subjected to chemicals used in farming - would love to see a 3 level directional T junction anyway.

Regards!

Me for example? Waterford to Newbridge?
    Fashionable ladies in Kilkenny maybe? KK to Kildare Village?

It's supposed to be a motorway network. The most natural thing in the world is to go up one motorway and maybe go 90 deg on another for a junction or two to get where you want to go. I used to do it in England the whole time (Solihull to Rugby for example - you'd just take the M42 and M6; the men in white coats would be called if you decided to go through Coventry).

When you've got a motorway network that's incomplete for want of a couple of slip roads and a bridge, it's a little bit pathetic. Yes, you could go up the R413 or whatever, but that's just the usual Paddy solution that we're all too good at in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

fricatus wrote: »
    It's supposed to be a motorway network. .

Tis.

Lets all do this again if they eventually build the Leinster Orbital Motorway north from this junction around 2028 and need a giant whirlpool junction for this putatively nationally important road at that time.

Meanwhile R roads westbound it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Mullinavat junction is nearing completion. All the surfacing is now finished and the southbound carriageway is being lined. A small amount of landscaping is being finished, barriers being clipped on, signs are all up and when that is done it doesn’t look as if there is very much more to do.

Really, I feel that this motorway could be signed off next week and it should be opened by the end of the month which surely gives the engineers a chance to give it their final check.

A March 12 opening date seems unnecessary. Anyone else agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Silverado wrote: »

Unfortunately ribbon-cutting ceremonies and posing for back-clapping photos seems more important than the safety and economical benefits of opening the road when it's actually finished. I'd expect it to be finished the last few days of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Tis.

Lets all do this again if they eventually build the Leinster Orbital Motorway north from this junction around 2028 and need a giant whirlpool junction for this putatively nationally important road at that time.

Meanwhile R roads westbound it will be.

The only way you'll have all the movements unfortunately is if some kind of roundabout is involved. :(

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure, the Lukeswell bridge over he N9 is curently seeing a lot of work on the installing of the full expansion joints on the bridge, the same type of job on the Dunkitt crossover with the N9 and railway line took weeks and only finished last weekend.

Theres also literally 48km of wall reflectors to install and theyve started building 'Garda only' ramps half way between Waterford and Mullinavat at either end of the hill climb on that stretch. The garda ramp on the northbound carraigeway is interesting in that its at the end of a small country lane which is gated where it meets the motorway so any gatso van etc doesent even have to stop and reverse up the ramp off the motorway.

While I'm sure they could have it done a week before March 12th, I doubt given the speed of BAM that any earlier is realistically possible. From what I saw there are just to many little jobs to do along the whole stretch and a fair bit of landscaping between Mullinavat and Lukeswell and proper fencing to build in several spots also. I'll keep ye posted if it all comes together any sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I'm not so sure, the Lukeswell bridge over he N9 is curently seeing a lot of work on the installing of the full expansion joints on the bridge, the same type of job on the Dunkitt crossover with the N9 and railway line took weeks and only finished last weekend.

Theres also literally 48km of wall reflectors to install and theyve started building 'Garda only' ramps half way between Waterford and Mullinavat at either end of the hill climb on that stretch. The garda ramp on the northbound carraigeway is interesting in that its at the end of a small country lane which is gated where it meets the motorway so any gatso van etc doesent even have to stop and reverse up the ramp off the motorway.

While I'm sure they could have it done a week before March 12th, I doubt given the speed of BAM that any earlier is realistically possible. From what I saw there are just to many little jobs to do along the whole stretch and a fair bit of landscaping between Mullinavat and Lukeswell and proper fencing to build in several spots also. I'll keep ye posted if it all comes together any sooner.

I couldn’t see much activity today or even where the work is being done on the Lukeswell flyover bridge. Are you sure that its not finished. There is work being done on the nearby Ballyluskey overbridge (motorway under it) with expansion joints etc. but that bridge would not interfere with the opening of the motorway.

The reflectors surely could be installed in a couple of days, the job seems to be crawling with personnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MisterCrown

The Kilkenny People reckons it's opening on March 8th.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Motorway-opening-in-March.6056568.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bodan

The Kilkenny People reckons it's opening on March 8th.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Motorway-opening-in-March.6056568.jp

Thanks for the link, they said in the article that the stretch they were opening up was from Waterford all the way to Danesfort. Is that right? I thought it was just to Knocktopher.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Bodan wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, they said in the article that the stretch they were opening up was from Waterford all the way to Danesfort. Is that right? I thought it was just to Knocktopher.

One project covers Waterford-Knocktopher, but the first section of the next phase, as far as Danesfort, will also open as it is ready early.
    4346171015_76769de08b_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Bodan wrote: »

its finished the whole way up to danesfort, with roads signs, markings and the road prepared for all traffic to exit at danesfort . . .so i presume its going that far.

I couldn’t see much activity today or even where the work is being done on the Lukeswell flyover bridge. Are you sure that its not finished. There is work being done on the nearby Ballyluskey overbridge (motorway under it) with expansion joints etc. but that bridge would not interfere with the opening of the motorway.

Yeah its definetly the big big Lukeswell bridge over the current N9 that I'm talking about. But to be honest its so high and wide I'd say the transit vans of the guys doing the work could be there but hidden from view. From what I saw with how it was done with the bridges further down towards Waterford, it seems like its a job which can only be done when the top layer is in.

Last weekend there was literally a 1ft trench dug across each end of the bridge with metal sheets allowing machinerey to keep crossing it. Although it looks a simple job it just seems to drag on for weeks for whatever reason so March 8th sounds about right.
    The reflectors surely could be installed in a couple of days, the job seems to be crawling with personnel
    Simple and straightforward job but again there is literally so many of them to do its bound to take a couple of weeks. Hopefully when they are put up they wont start falling off the wall again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 flop71

The sooner the better this stretch is opened the better.

I drive from Dungarvan (co waterford) to Dubln once a week and travel via carrick on suir/kilmaganny/knocktopher. These backroads are grand in the summer but can be tough going in the winter as they are liable to flooding

It's a pity the last remaining stretch wont be open until the autumn, i have lost count how many times i have got stuck behind a twin axle/tractor or granny in a nissan micra either side of Thomastown.

Still i am loving the recently opened M9 section at kilkullen, My commute is down to about 2 hours 25 mins at the moment

Flop

Nice to know the god-awful N10/9 from KK to Waterford is about to enter the history books, where it belongs. I will possibly never travel it again (fully anyhow) as I've no reason to be down that side before 8th March. So next time will hopefully be the new super safe M9 linking KK and Waterford in around 20 mins.

• Advertisement

mfitzy wrote: »
    Nice to know the god-awful N10/9 from KK to Waterford is about to enter the history books, where it belongs. I will possibly never travel it again (fully anyhow) as I've no reason to be down that side before 8th March. So next time will hopefully be the new super safe M9 linking KK and Waterford in around 20 mins.

Yeah its gonna be a big day, hard to beleive its only 3 weeks from next Monday! Late but well worth the wait:D The new motorway is just about as far as you can get in terms of road conditions from the current N9.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement