Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

mfitzy wrote: »
    Nice to know the god-awful N10/9 from KK to Waterford is about to enter the history books, where it belongs. I will possibly never travel it again (fully anyhow) as I've no reason to be down that side before 8th March. So next time will hopefully be the new super safe M9 linking KK and Waterford in around 20 mins.
    If I had a euro for everytime it said that ....

Can't wait though. At this stage i hate driving that road especially this past year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Will be interesting to see what the AADT figures will be and compare it to the old N9

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bards wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what the AADT figures will be and compare it to the old N9

It will no doubt take traffic from the N30, especially once the full M9 is complete.

Anecdotally, I know of people here in work in Kilkenny who prefer Carlow over Waterford as an alternative to shopping in KK, just on account of the road alone. The M9 in itself is attracting quite a bit of curiosity - people in work who know where I'm from are asking a lot about it recently, and saying stuff like "I must head down there once the motorway opens". I don't think we realise quite what a barrier the old road has been to people.

On the subject of the opening date, the KK People said 8 March, but they've been known to be wrong in the past. Has anyone else confirmed that date?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Plus I think somebody needs to tell the local politicians about the opening of the road, or they will have another hissy fit.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

fricatus wrote: »
    Anecdotally, I know of people here in work in Kilkenny who prefer Carlow over Waterford as an alternative to shopping in KK, just on account of the road alone... asking a lot about it recently, and saying stuff like "I must head down there once the motorway opens". I don't think we realise quite what a barrier the old road has been to people.

I'm not a KK person (I'm in Kilcullen), but my attitude has been just that: "I must head down there once..." I've enjoyed Waterford the couple of times I've made it down there in the past, but the small and winding roads on the way to it give me such motion sickness that it's hard for me to want to make the trek again. A straighter motorway plus the time savings will make it very attractive for me to visit more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Roryhy wrote: »
    One project covers Waterford-Knocktopher, but the first section of the next phase, as far as Danesfort, will also open as it is ready early.
    4346171015_76769de08b_o.jpg

where is Danesfort on that map?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Junction 9, where the M9 crosses the N10 south of Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

It is junction 9 on that map. Knocktopher is junction 10.
    So it's the first junction on the red and white section of the map where the M9 and N10 meet just south of Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gaza711

hey great news that this road is finally opening no more stuck behind trucks from waterford to kk anymore..what a relief..one question tho im driving from waterford city to kk every morning so the danesfort exit is ideal 5 mins from my job,,,wher do i enter the m9 in waterford???do i cross the bridge as normal or take the toll bridge??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gaza711 wrote: »
    hey great news that this road is finally opening no more stuck behind trucks from waterford to kk anymore..what a relief..one question tho im driving from waterford city to kk every morning so the danesfort exit is ideal 5 mins from my job,,,wher do i enter the m9 in waterford???do i cross the bridge as normal or take the toll bridge??

You can cross the normal bridge, head off the new Newrath roundabout as if you're going towards the toll bridge from the north side of the river - you access it off the Grannagh interchange that that leads to. It'll be well signed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just took a spin from Waterford to kilcullen, road was open so took the chance. Looking very good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

MYOB wrote: »
    You can cross the normal bridge, head off the new Newrath roundabout as if you're going towards the toll bridge from the north side of the river - you access it off the Grannagh interchange that that leads to. It'll be well signed.

Speaking of signs for the project, what have Waterford C/C done with all the signs for the 'M9' on the Quay, Rice Bridge, and Train station roundabout that were put up when the Waterford bypass opened. They have all been changed to 'N9' during the week. Not sure if it was a sticker over job or what but it seems strange to start tinkering with them now and the road only 3 weeks away. Hopefully they dident go to the expense of chucking them all in the skip, fingers crossed.

The sign for Dublin in the middle of Rice bridge is really taking the mickey,hopefully somebody can get a pic of it because the N9 lettering is upside down on it...no joking! God help any foreign truckers trying to find the road:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seeing as the new-ish signage on the outer ring all signs M9 towards the ring extension/bypass its a bit weird to go covering it up anywhere else.

Some pictures I took this morning... Just for comparison, look at the same pictures I took back in October.

Mullinavat (Waterford-Knocktopher scheme - J11), looking northbound:
    mvtn.jpg

Mullinavat, looking southbound:
    mvts.jpg

Stonyford-Kells road overbridge (Carlow-Knocktopher scheme between J9 and J10), looking southbound:
    klss.jpg

Stonyford-Kells road, looking northbound - note Kings River bridge:
    klsn.jpg

Danesfort - J9 (Carlow-Knocktopher scheme), looking southbound - note the barriers up to direct traffic up the ramp:
    dfts.jpg

Danesfort - J9, looking northbound - obviously not lined since it's not going to be opened until later in the year:
    dftn.jpg

Danesfort - J9, the southbound ramp, where traffic from Kilkenny on the N10 will enter heading towards Waterford:

ramp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

Thanks Fricatus - looks great!

Are they essentially finished then - doesn't look like there's anything left to be done?

Does anybody have an update on that bridge near Waterford they were struggling with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Someone was killed on the newest section of M9 last night - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0214/breaking1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

I was going to take a spin towards the Carlow-Knocktopher scheme today to take a few pics but im not feelin the best so might do it next weekend.

lotie wrote: »
    Does anybody have an update on that bridge near Waterford they were struggling with?

Yeah the R.Blackwater bridge seems fine now, all scaffolding is removed and everything lined and signed in the area.

Heres probably my final set of pics from the scheme given how advanced everything is now and only 3weeks to go! Wall reflectors have started going up from the Wateford end but only for a few km's so still plenty to do on that front. There is also a lot of cats eyes work to do. The centreline has them for most of the scheme but for km after km the margins and hard shoulder is still waiting for them. Most of the barrier work and fencing is coming to an end. The odd bridge is still missing them for a metre or two.

Looking north approaching J11 Mullinavat.
    4356863780_0268384b7c_b.jpg
    Looking south back towards Mullinavat. They have a very wide central median on the northbound lane at this bend, even wider than the driving lane.
    4356880272_0eaca79eda_b.jpg
    Looking north at the same point. From looking at the distance signs at the start of the M9 at Waterford, http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64359436&postcount=1931 this one should be reading Dublin-143km so hopefully somebody has noticed this!
    4356872220_772d1f26d2_b.jpg
    This is how the Lukeswell bridge is looking, probably the only piece needing a bit of attention with the hard shoulder missing tarmac for about 500m and the wall needing to be patched up.

4356889884_dcf1e24bec_b.jpg
    Looking north from Lukeswell bridge-its only about a 500m stretch missing the road markings.
    4356154023_b0597c3461_b.jpg
    Final barrier work going on the bridge over the Waterford-Dublin rail line, about 1km north of the Lukeswell bridge.
    4356164067_31f7ecf2e4_b.jpg
    And finally about 1km south of Mullinavat.
    4356171001_8155a9c4be_b.jpg

All in all the road itself is looking fantastic and really feel it will be this project rather the Waterford City bypass that will have the biggest impact on the city in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A few VERY sharp bends there for 120kmh!

I guess this proves as well that the Kilkenny link road will be signed as N10 even though its inescapable so de facto must be M10.

I'm not sure myself, its hard to tell without driving on it. At the very least it should be a fun drive on those bends! .Its definetly 120km/h on that bend out of Mullinavat because all the 120 signage has gone up for anybody entering at J11.The section from Lukeswell to Knocktopher looks like it will be a very picturesque spin also For most of it theres nothing but rolling fields.With all respect to the people of Hugginstown, it comes across as a very rural remote area in the area around the M9. I guess all will be revealed March 8th!

• Advertisement

Brilliant pics alpha2zulu!

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    I guess all will be revealed March 8th.

Has that date actually been confirmed? The only place I've seen that date is in the Kilkenny People, and they have been wrong before...

Has anyone been in touch with the project coordinator? Might be time to drop a mail his way.

fricatus wrote: »
    Brilliant pics alpha2zulu!
    Thanks!:D
    Has that date actually been confirmed? The only place I've seen that date is in the Kilkenny People, and they have been wrong before...

No I was just going off what was posted here before but it seems about right aslong as the cats eye work picks up a gear soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Some more pictures to add from today.

Things I notticed on my cycle is how undtidy the road verges are. The topsoiling is terrible.

Bam use a much shallower cats eye than Road bridge.

12th of March looks good for opening

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40914919@N02/

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

And some more pictures around Kilkenny

Nore: A hugh amount of work remains on the Kilkenny Link road, the motorway could open before this link is finished similar to the Ahty link road.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40914919@N02/?saved=1

4356374233_9a3bcb5024.jpg

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

They're not as bad as they seem - the long lens perspective makes them look sharper than they actually are. You can tell by the number of lines in the bend.

you have taken a lot of great photos there johnbk, it would be nice if you would post them because a lot of people tend not to go through them when they're on another site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

i cannot wait til this is open! i drive the waterford to carlow road every weekend and i'm looking forward to the shorter times!
    i just came across this thread now. fair play to all of ye for the updates. roll on 8th march! i'll post up my experience of the road when its open.
    i did try take the athy exit earlier today only to discover it wasn't finished! why didn't they just block off the sign so people don't make the mistake of taking that slip road?!

jonnycwh wrote: »
    i cannot wait til this is open! i drive the waterford to carlow road every weekend and i'm looking forward to the shorter times!
    i just came across this thread now. fair play to all of ye for the updates. roll on 8th march! i'll post up my experience of the road when its open.
    i did try take the athy exit earlier today only to discover it wasn't finished! why didn't they just block off the sign so people don't make the mistake of taking that slip road?!

Athy is blocked off, its open for local traffic from Ballitore area and Baltinglass etc. Why dont some people read signs:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

When this road opens, it makes Waterford Airport a much nicer prospect than Dublin. Now if only they'd get more destinations and better times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Can anyone clarify exactly what stretch is opening on the 8th/12 March - is it Waterford-Knocktopher or a larger chunk?

There seems to be conflicting info being posted

Thanks..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement