Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

kieranb07 wrote: »
    Just on the weird sinage..
    I was approaching the Danesfort junction J9 from kilkenny side the other day and there is speed signs saying 60km but if your approaching from the waterford there is only signs saying 80km and no 60km ones...
    confused.gif

Could it be because of the entrance to the site office on the kk side of J9 requiring a lower limit for safety there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

My email to the NRA::
    Hi there,
    Can you confirm for me what exact date the M9 Waterford - Danesfort road
    will be opening? I have heard dates of March 8th and 12th, so a
    confirmation would be much appreciated.

If you, by any chance, could give me an update on what time frame we are
    looking at getting the remainder of the M9 open at - that would also be
    much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Best Regards,

Their response..
    Dear Mr. XXXX

Thank you for your email of 15 February 2010 regarding the above.

I have no official opening date for the Waterford-Knocktopher section
    (Phase 2) as yet. It is likely to be mid March but the date once
    confirmed will be well publicised in the media. Work is progressing
    well on the Carlow to Knocktopher section of the N9 scheme and the
    expected completion is Quarter 4 2010.

Kind regards

Programme & Regulatory Unit

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kieranb07 wrote: »
    Just on the weird sinage..
    I was approaching the Danesfort junction J9 from kilkenny side the other day and there is speed signs saying 60km but if your approaching from the waterford there is only signs saying 80km and no 60km ones...
    confused.gif

Your approaching a roundabout/motorway junction (or whatever they call them) so I would have assumed the speed would drop to 60 when approaching from both sides. Odd that one would suggest going through it at 80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kieranb07

dougal wrote: »
    Could it be because of the entrance to the site office on the kk side of J9 requiring a lower limit for safety there.

well that would make sence if there was a sign telling the waterford to kk traffic it was 60 at the kk side of the bridge but there isnt.. so they would still be thinking the speed limit is 80km... its a weird one

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bodan

There is an update from the Kilkenny People
    M9 opening delayed

Published Date: 17 February 2010
    By Laura Keys

THE opening of the new section of motorway between Kilkenny and Waterford has been pushed back due to "health and safety concerns".

Just last week, it was announced that the 33km stretch of road, beginning in Danesfort, would open on March 8, but Kilkenny County Council has confirmed that it will be delayed by at least two weeks.

The new M9 is now expected to open on March 22.

John Mulholland, director of services with Kilkenny County Council, said some works of a "safety nature" were still to be carried out before the new road could open.

"For all intents and purposes, we're hoping for the 22nd," Mr Mulholland said. "We envision that will be the date of opening and we would expect the official opening to take place at around noon, suubject to the Minister's diary." The official opening will take place in Knocktopher.

Once open, the new road will provide relief to the traffic-congested towns of Knocktopher, Ballyhale and Mullinavat, which currently lie on the existing Kilkenny to Waterford road.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/M9-opening-delayed.6079999.jp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Bodan wrote: »
    There is an update from the Kilkenny People

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/M9-opening-delayed.6079999.jp

I reckon the Dempsey is going off on a jolly for St. Patricks Day/Week and won't be around until the Monday -

I seem to recall Health & Safety concerns being touted for delaying the Carlow to Kilcullen stretch too - seems a bit of a co-incidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Bards wrote: »
    I seem to recall Health & Safety concerns being touted for delaying the Carlow to Kilcullen stretch too - seems a bit of a co-incidence

I was just thinking the same thing...is this what will be said on the final stretch, too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Health and safety concerns....what are they up to now. Compared to the old road the M9 is a thousand times safer and every day its not open is putting lives unnecessairily at risk. Coming down between Knocktopher and Ballyhale the other morning traffic ahead of me comes to a stop with hazards flashing all round.The reason...."Paddy" going for a walk on that right angled bend between the two villages. In light of the daily near-misses on the route I cant see why anybody is making shapes about health and safety at this stage.

Cant for the life of me think of what exactly is bothering them on the scheme if you leave aside any doubts about that tight bend just north of Mullinavat. Given that half of Mullinavat is out walking on the road at the weekend hopefully no businesses will start claiming lack of notice of its opening, a-la Carlow-Kilcullen...
    Sully wrote: »
    I checked into this - there just stickers covering over the M9 text. They have not actually replaced the signs :) Rice Bridge seems fixed.
    No Rice bridge is still showing the "6N" there tonight. Still dont see why somebody saw such an issue with the M9 signage to print up stickers and have a crew spend the day stickering over half the signs in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Time to send Conor Faughnan of the AA an email maybe and get the ball rolling again, as we did before Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Furet wrote: »
    Time to send Conor Faughnan of the AA an email maybe and get the ball rolling again, as we did before Christmas?

Yeah agreed, at the very least to get a proper explnation of what health and safety matters are delaying this. The road itself is a few weeks off opening anyway because of the Lukeswell Bridge joints and cats eye/reflector work that still needs to be done. Of course why this wasent done on some of the finished sections months ago is another question:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

These are the same NON EXISTANT "health and safety concerns" Kildare CC had, I assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

great photo. We're all laughing at it here. Where was the photo taken, and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

tramor wrote: »
    great photo. We're all laughing at it here. Where was the photo taken, and when.

It was taken at the start of the dual-carriageway portion of the Outer Ring Road in Waterford (not far from Tesco in Ardkeen).

I think the road opened in September 2005, so I suppose the photo was taken around that time, or maybe end August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The politicians were caught badly the last time, so, in order to cover themselves this time "health and safety" is being rolled out. So we're all supposed to go "Oh, OK, it's Health and Safety, so that's all right then". You can just imagine them - "Bejaysus, 'tis a great oul' excuse this 'Health and Safety' thing. Really shuts the fcukers up."

Like everyone else here, I don't believe a word of it. And like others here I'd say Paddy's Day junkets and diaries are the reason.

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    No Rice bridge is still showing the "6N" there tonight. Still dont see why somebody saw such an issue with the M9 signage to print up stickers and have a crew spend the day stickering over half the signs in Waterford.

Sorry, completely missed that. Spotted it and will pass the word on.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I have had a close look at the route from Dansford to Waterford from my bike last weekend. The section from Dansford to Knocktopher is sitting ready for opening. However, the section from Knocktopher to Waterford simply isn’t ready. I have taken a lot of pictures which can be seen at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40914919@N02/

I will acknowledge that outstanding work seems straight forward but is still considerable IMO. There are still many crash barriers incomplete, work on the Lukeswell bridge including those expansion joints, crash barriers, road markings also still must be completed. More worryingly BAM’s top soiling of the cuttings and fills along the route are pathetic, (again IMO) with weeds instead of grass and large stones everywhere. There is a section where they have open up the boundary of the raod and large diggers and dumpers are using the finished road surface for moving soil! Work that should have been carried out before the wear surface went down.

They cant open a road until it is finished and if, as I suspect there is huge number of snags on BAM’s section then it is better that these are sorted out properly before it opens.

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

From http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/22600

By Naoise Coogan

The opening date for the Kilkenny section of the M9/N9 motorway from Danesfort to Waterford has been confirmed by the Kilkenny County Council this week.

The new stretch of road will be officially opened by the Minister for Transport on March 22, next at 12 noon in Knocktopher.

The opening had been delayed as a result of an audit on the length of the scheme and was also halted for health and safety reasons
    The new stretch is 23km in length and it is expected that it will take some time off the journey from Kilkenny to Waterford, while bypassing villages such as Mullinavat, Knocktopher and Ballyhale.

=============================================

So it's definately the 22nd March or something happens in the meantime. like change of Govrnment or Cabinet Reshuffle perhaps:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Folks

What's going on at Paulstown?
    Bad traffic jam in the evening on Tues with silly temporary traffic lights.
    Is there some link road being built to the M9?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Folks

What's going on at Paulstown?
    Bad traffic jam in the evening on Tues with silly temporary traffic lights.
    Is there some link road being built to the M9?

Yea. New roundabout going in the current N10 to allow access to the new M9 junction there. They are flying it though, should be ready in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

mfitzy wrote: »
    Yea. New roundabout going in the current N10 to allow access to the new M9 junction there. They are flying it though, should be ready in a few days.

They will shortly be putting another roundabout just outside Paulstown on the N9 Gowran road. This will link the N9 to the N10 roundabout being built on the Kilkenny road, and through to the nearby (Paulstowm/Gowran) Junction 7 exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They will shortly be putting another roundabout just outside Paulstown on the N9 Gowran road. This will link the N9 to the N10 roundabout being built on the Kilkenny road, and through to the nearby (Paulstowm/Gowran) Junction 7 exit.

Yes, thought so. Will be a nice little boast to Paulstown infrastructurally. Attractive location to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

mfitzy wrote: »
    Yes, thought so. Will be a nice little boast to Paulstown infrastructurally. Attractive location to live.

Yes, all it needs now is a train station,(Its all ready got the line)and it could be a model for urban planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tonyagrey

Guys,
    May have been discussed so apologises if so:
    Will it be quicker for me going from Waterford to Dublin to travel across the new bridge on to motorway for Kilkenny, come off at Danesfort, travel remainder to Kilkenny, then ring road for paulstown and on to Dublin or will i be quicker going straight up Mullinavat, Ballyhale, Thomastown, Gowran and then onwards?

Interesting question i think you will agree. Sometimes its just torture travelling old/current road stuck behind trucks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

tonyagrey wrote: »
    Guys,
    May have been discussed so apologises if so:
    Will it be quicker for me going from Waterford to Dublin to travel across the new bridge on to motorway for Kilkenny, come off at Danesfort, travel remainder to Kilkenny, then ring road for paulstown and on to Dublin or will i be quicker going straight up Mullinavat, Ballyhale, Thomastown, Gowran and then onwards?

Interesting question i think you will agree. Sometimes its just torture travelling old/current road stuck behind trucks etc

Mullinavat and Ballyhale will be bypassed.

You will have three main choices.

1.Danesfort-kilkenny ring road-Paulstown.

2.Danesfort-Bennettsbridge-Gowran-Paulstown.

3.Knocktopher-Thomastown-Gowran-Paulstown.

I would take No1 as even with the extra milage and potential delays at the roundabouts it is the best quality road and the most stress free.

From http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/22600

By Naoise Coogan

The opening date for the Kilkenny section of the M9/N9 motorway from Danesfort to Waterford has been confirmed by the Kilkenny County Council this week.

The new stretch of road will be officially opened by the Minister for Transport on March 22, next at 12 noon in Knocktopher.

The opening had been delayed as a result of an audit on the length of the scheme and was also halted for health and safety reasons
    The new stretch is 23km in length and it is expected that it will take some time off the journey from Kilkenny to Waterford, while bypassing villages such as Mullinavat, Knocktopher and Ballyhale.

=============================================

So it's definately the 22nd March or something happens in the meantime. like change of Govrnment or Cabinet Reshuffle perhaps:rolleyes:

The News and Star are running with a different date this week, apparently supplied by the NRA. So I have got back in touch with the NRA and sent them this email:-
    Hi,
    Thanks for your email.

Just looking at two local news papers here. One has a response from Kilkenny County Council and one has a response from the NRA. Yet, both are reporting seperate dates.

Kilkenny Advertiser:-
    "The opening date for the Kilkenny section of the M9/N9 motorway from Danesfort to Waterford has been confirmed by the Kilkenny County Council this week. The new stretch of road will be officially opened by the Minister for Transport on March 22, next at 12 noon in Knocktopher. The opening had been delayed as a result of an audit on the length of the scheme and was also halted for health and safety reasons"

Waterford News and Star:-
    "As progress continues on the Waterford/Dublin motorway the National Roads Authority have confirmed that the latest 34-kilometre stretch will be open to traffic from March 15th"

It would be great if we could finally be given one solid confirmed date as these new dates that keep appearing from different sources is incrediably confusing and at times frustrating for those of us who travel the old road on a daily basis! There are a lot of us drivers out there who have no choice but to travel the old road which is possibly one of the worst roads in Ireland and are looking forward to a motorway which seems to be suffering from delay after delay after delay - with no end in sight!

If you are unable to answer or give a date, would you be able to pass this onto someone else in the NRA who would be able to do so?

Many Thanks.

Best Regards,

Got a reply already..
    Dear

I can state that the Authority did not confirm "from March 15" as the
    opening date, the position is that no official date for the opening of
    the Waterford-Knocktopher section (Phase 2) has been confirmed.

Regards

Iv replied..
    Hi,
    Thanks for your prompt reply. If the NRA never confirmed a date, then fair enough, but we have a situation where Kilkenny County Council are also stating differently.

Am I to assume that the Kilkenny Council are incorrect? Would there be a possibility they have a date that has not yet reached your department or the NRA?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

KCC have ignored my emails to date. Time for a phone call me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Sully wrote: »
    Got a reply already..

Iv replied..

KCC have ignored my emails to date. Time for a phone call me thinks.
    they are civil servants, answering phone calls is not in their job description!
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/kfkfkfaucwsn/rss2/

they are civil servants, answering phone calls is not in their job description!
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/kfkfkfaucwsn/rss2/

I got an answer but the person they transfered me to never answered... I did leave a voicemail tho. Will try again just in case he was planning on not answering me as a result of the strike.

• Advertisement

Okay got the call back from KK County Council. The current date is March 22nd and that has been double checked and confirmed. Its the most "up to date" date they have at the moment. He said your looking at Aug/Sept for the section to Carlow being opened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement