Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

savic04 wrote: »
    i drove home from dub airport today, road was great until gowran, then it was just the normal crap road.. that slowed up the journey, so where do you get onto the new road ?

I couldnt see a link to the new road..

going to/from dublin/waterford, do I now not vear off after ballyhale before Knocktopher and take the Thomastown, Gowran route?

you needed to turn right into Knocktopher about 4 miles south of thomastown (if you get to ballyhale, you've gone too far). the junct is about 1-2km at the other side of knocktopher

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    BTW are there pull-in stops somewhere around Carlow? Not petrol stations, just lay-bys?

Yes, heading north there is one about 2/3 minutes after the Carlow North/Castledermot exit. Same on the other side if heading south.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

Delighted this is open

I'm coming from Waterford so I presume now I join the M9 in Waterford spin along to danesfort where the road becomes the n10 on which I spin on to Kilkenny ring road and rejoin the Dublin road i.e to paulstown then onto Carlow etc.

is this the quickest route now???? Or am I missing someting

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

I saved 12 minutes when going from Thomastown to Cleaboy in Waterford using the M9. I think it will be more when going the opposite direction as I was battling 6pm traffic.

I'm Very Glad it is open at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A bit hilly, isn't it? http://dynimg.rte.ie/00031fca10dr.jpg

Google maps (partially) updated already!
    dowlingm wrote: »
    By the looks of things IE should just shut up shop south of Carlow unless they can find a way to speed up their service big-time... Newbridge-Waterford is timetabled at 2hrs right now, so even if an IC train stopped in Clondalkin (nearest to Red Cow) you're looking at 2h15+?
    You forget that the most valuble bit of the train journey is the bit inside the M50. Also, not all trains operate via Kilkenny.
    Dum_Dum wrote: »
    I don't understand why the N9 has been demoted to the R448 instead of an 'L' road.
    What if you aren't allowed use the motorway and want to navigate from Dublin to Waterford?
    letitroll wrote: »
    I'm coming from Waterford so I presume now I join the M9 in Waterford spin along to danesfort where the road becomes the n10 on which I spin on to Kilkenny ring road and rejoin the Dublin road i.e to paulstown then onto Carlow etc.

is this the quickest route now???? Or am I missing someting
    You can still go through Thomastown if you want by getting off at Knocktopher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

tramor wrote: »
    Great picture. I'd hate to have been stuck on the other side of the road. I'm going to take time off work to drive the new motorway both directions, for no other reason than I've been looking forward to this for 3 years now. I thought that the Grannagh roundabout up to Danesfort would be 18 mins, not just up to Knocktopher. I'll guess I'll find out tomorrow for myself. Will post the numbers tomorrow.

It is 18 from Grannagh to Danesfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    What if you aren't allowed use the motorway and want to navigate from Dublin to Waterford?

Nothing preventing you using an L road. Not that I'm saying it should have become one, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MYOB wrote: »
    Nothing preventing you using an L road. Not that I'm saying it should have become one, though.
    Sure, but maintinginf the route number is useful
    Seeing as these roads have had zero accidents, if they stick to their word then they will be nowhere to be seen!!!!
    Zero accidents is misguided. If there was ever a zero accident road, people would take liberties and hten there would be accidents.
    ashleey wrote: »
    And if I wanted to travel from Callan to Rosslare, would anyone advise picking up the new section at Danesfort down to Waterford and then follow signs for Rosslare (i.e. Waterford bypass to New Ross) on the new road (is it finished at Waterford?)?
    Depending on where in Callan, getting on at Knocktopher may be better. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=callan,+ireland&daddr=52.408284,-7.088928+to:rosslare&hl=en&geocode=FRLIIQMdDiSP_ymdbhE7FyxdSDHnmPE1ls2ofA%3B%3BFYCfHQMdfoye_ynTprBoiRloSDGiBVBbuGlHqg&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&sll=52.420429,-7.093735&sspn=0.195142,0.441513&ie=UTF8&ll=52.373922,-6.965332&spn=0.781395,1.766052&z=9 (section north of Knocktopher not shown).
    kieranb07 wrote: »
    Just trying to figure out something here... how much longer is it from
    Knocktopher to Paulstown via Danesfort motorway and kk ringroad
    compared to
    Knocktopher to Paulstown via Thomastown/Gowran
    tryed working it out using googlemaps but the Knocktopher/Danesford part of the road isnt on the map
    when i add the supposed 13km that it is between J10 and J9 to the total lenght GMaps gives me there is only 2k in the differenceconfused.gif
    Is this right?
    About 58km (Thomastown) v 66km (Kilkenny), so its a matter of balancing the old N9 + villages against longer distance and Kilkenny ring road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

At long last its open....brilliant and so less stressful!

I did it from Danesfort to Grannagh in 18 minutes dead on and only cruised at 70mph all the way. There was quite a bit of traffic between 6.35pm and 6.53pm on the new road so maybe its worth it!! (Some people questioned the road v's traffic volume earlier!)

I found there was a noticeable drag from Knocktopher junction to Mullinavat - anyone else thimk so?

This morning I did it from Mullinavat to Carlow , along the "old" road, in 48 minutes - a 17 minute saving. There was still quite a bit of traffic coming towards Waterford though - all the local South Kilkenny Traffic.

Yesterday, I had to go to Danesfort from Leighlinbridge so I went N9, N10 and then veered off at Lavistown for Bennetsbridge and Danesfort - took about 25 to 30 minutes - so I guess Waterford to Dublin would be still quicker going via Mullinavat and Thomastown especially as the trucks are gone from the old N9 and also the Kilkenny traffic is gone also.

Roll on the full road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Notticed when I was getting directions from Kilkenny to WIT on google maps that it uses the Waterford bypass even through you cant see it on google maps. It comes up on the route as a blue line.

My views are my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

With the Abbyleix section of the cork road not open, If going from Dublin to Cork would it be an option to take the M9 to Kilkenny and then across to Clonmel and back onto the Cork road at Cahir?

What is the road like from Kilkenny-Clonmel-Cahir? Can you make time on it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Cant imagine its great. Not that ive driven across it but generally 10 miles of Motorway is as quick if not quicker than 8 miles of quality WS2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

With the Abbyleix section of the cork road not open, If going from Dublin to Cork would it be an option to take the M9 to Kilkenny and then across to Clonmel and back onto the Cork road at Cahir?

What is the road like from Kilkenny-Clonmel-Cahir? Can you make time on it at all?

No, that would still be a far longer option and more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Why not take the M9 all the way to Waterford and then the N25 over to Cork? It's a great road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wisecom

Great info so far. Just wondering what is the best route to take from Dublin to Dungarvan (the Waterford one!) now? Turn off before Paulstown or keep going towards kilkenny and take advantage of the better road before joining the new road?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Victor wrote: »
    Google maps (partially) updated already!
    What's funny is that they actually added that wrong road to Gmaps about 3 months ago I believe. It's marked as a dualler, and only as far as Powerstown, and opening on the wrong date - Teleatlas, get it sorted!
    johnbk wrote: »
    Notticed when I was getting directions from Kilkenny to WIT on google maps that it uses the Waterford bypass even through you cant see it on google maps. It comes up on the route as a blue line.
    I've lost loads of faith in Gmaps recently. They really need to stop using the woeful Teleatlas. Yahoo and Bing maps ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

Anybody know when the Athy link-road to Mullamast will open?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

wisecom wrote: »
    Great info so far. Just wondering what is the best route to take from Dublin to Dungarvan (the Waterford one!) now? Turn off before Paulstown or keep going towards kilkenny and take advantage of the better road before joining the new road?

Wondering same???:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Parts of the road are very poor (especially the first few miles outside of Kilkenny).

You would be much better off sticking to the N8/M8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

Anybody know when the Athy link-road to Mullamast will open?

ive heard May being said a good few times.
    i would think it will be ready in April though.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

rameire wrote: »
    ive heard May being said a good few times.
    i would think it will be ready in April though.

had forgotten about that (sorry!)
    so i updated the "guestimate" thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681234
    apr/may seems the general consensus...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

N25 is good most of the way but hit Castlemartyr at the wrong time and thats a bad thing.

If the N25 gets upgraded all the way to Waterford (eventually), then it might be realistic if the M8 gets blocked for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

The consensus here seems to be to go towards Kilkenny and take the ring road to the N10 for Waterford and get on M9 at Junction 9 Danesfort.
    The alternative is to go left at Paulstown through Gowran, Thomastown then turning right before Ballyhale to join the M9 at Junction 10 Knocktopher.

I believe the KK route is about 8km further but better roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

johnbk wrote: »

Just noticed now that the Waterford bypass in now on google maps!...

attachment.php?attachmentid=108530&d=1269379774

But for some reason google have once again labelled Waterford as being in Co Kilkenny!!!:eek::eek::confused:
    I'd say there's some joker from south KK working in google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

What kind of sordid mess have they made of the M9 there?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

What kind of sordid mess have they made of the M9 there?

Yes, why is it so narrow? Do they think the design was ballsed up in much the same way that the M50 used to taper down into a narrow lane at its Tallaght terminus when it first opened? Everybody knows the M9-N24-N25 junction is a marvel of elegant design..............

Oh wait............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 left winger

Drove up to Dublin today from kilmeaden (left at 6.45 a.m.) took the M9 as far as Knoctopher and cut through to Thomastown on up the N9 to rejoin the motorway at Powerstown. It was grand and shaved about 10 minutes off the normal journey time.

Might try staying on the M9 til Danesfort and through KK ring road next time for comparison.....

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bodan

[IMG]*http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=108509&d=1269366427[/IMG]

They have added the Carlow to Kilcullen M9 section as well. They have also done half the Galway motorway and most of the Cork motorway.

Hopefully, they will fix the Waterford to Danesfort section in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

attachment.php?attachmentid=108509&d=1269366427

But for some reason google have once again labelled Waterford as being in Co Kilkenny!!!:eek::eek::confused:
    I'd say there's some joker from south KK working in google.

Sssshhh !!! You'll have something to cheer for then next September in Croke Park !!

Only joking. Come on the Deise. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Drove up and back to waterford from Naas today. Oh its getting better alright. So much better. The inter urban network is the only thing that I thank FF for. This drive was perhaps the most dangerous national primary route in the country and if you got stuck behind a slow moving truck at Paulstown, (Gowran direction) then you could kiss your journey time ass goodbye.

Great road. Really looking forward to the opening of the final section.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement