Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

rameire wrote: »
    unofficially it can take 4min 30 seconds from the m9 junction 3 to the new roundabout in Athy
    Took me exactly 14min to get from the Kilcullen jnct to the roundabout in Athy. Its a fantastic stretch of single carriageway. Pity people seem so reluctant to use it.
    Whats the story with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Its crazy that the southern end of the M9 wasn't integrated with the N25 junction a few hundred metres to the east.

Did no-one actually consider this? Who designs these things?

A motorway ending at a roundabout is always a bad thing - there at least should be slip roads to the N25 and N24 (open to correction - the Waterford to Clonmel road?).

It is a bit of a shock at the end there. I've seen some very heavy braking by trucks there already.

I travelled to Galway yesterday, the end of the M6 is the same.

Crazy.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The Galway one is 'temporary' until (if) the Galway bypass gets built.

The M9 one was designed years ago (before the boom), probably when the M9 was supposed to be S2 throughout and a roundabout wouldnt make a big deal. The junction as it stands is ridiculous and I've said that for the last 5 years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

alinton wrote: »
    Its crazy that the southern end of the M9 wasn't integrated with the N25 junction a few hundred metres to the east.

Did no-one actually consider this? Who designs these things?

A motorway ending at a roundabout is always a bad thing - there at least should be slip roads to the N25 and N24 (open to correction - the Waterford to Clonmel road?).

It is a bit of a shock at the end there. I've seen some very heavy braking by trucks there already.

I travelled to Galway yesterday, the end of the M6 is the same.

Crazy.

A.

Agree totally that it's awful but they must be "planning" on doing it properly if and when the new N24 Mooncoin bypass would be built...otherwise it would be even worse (as attached)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Anyone have an update with photos of the last section under construction, the N9/N10 Carlow to Knocktopher road.

Is this section on schedule for Q3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

lukejr wrote: »
    Anyone have an update with photos of the last section under construction, the N9/N10 Carlow to Knocktopher road.

Is this section on schedule for Q3?

Go back a few pages (before all the frenzy associated with the new section opening) and you'll see updates. Looks to be even further ahead of schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 15 darwi

Last night (2nd of April) there was a portable electronic sign on the Carlow side of Paulstown suggesting motorists take the N10/M9 to get to Waterford.
    I don't know how long it's been there.

- darwi

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I'm glad to hear that. Its quite obvious that there is still a lot of traffic heading south for Waterford etc. seemingly without being aware of the M9 southern section at Danesfort. I use the Waterford - Mullinavat road a lot and it still seems to be a lot busier than it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The Ring road around Kilkenny now has big blue M9 Signs plastered over the original signs,looks very slapstick to be honest as they dont quite fit:rolleyes:
    But should get the job done for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Slates wrote: »
    Can someone please let me know why the M9 stops at a roundabout .......
    Don't worry they did the same with the M50 back in the 1980s (probably before your time:D),
    at one end, joining a roundabout on the N3 Dublin to Ballyshannon road
    at the other end, joining a roundabout on the N81 Dublin to Tullow road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Dont want to pay the toll?just do a u-turn:eek:
    Love the accents too:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjkxYSPZBec

I suspect that there are people starting to use the motorways who have never been on one before.
    I joined the M9 at Knocktopher a few days ago behind a somebody who entered at 50kph and then continued along the hard shoulder at the same speed.
    People should dig out the free 'Rules of the road' they got in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

hi5 wrote: »
    Dont want to pay the toll?just do a u-turn:eek:
    Love the accents too:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjkxYSPZBec

I suspect that there are people starting to use the motorways who have never been on one before.
    I joined the M9 at Knocktopher a few days ago behind a somebody who entered at 50kph and then continued along the hard shoulder at the same speed.
    People should dig out the free 'Rules of the road' they got in the post.

Just remember if you see any of these people, beep the sh!t out of them and flash your lights like crazy. At least that might leave an impression they are doing something wrong. And it'll make you feel better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Dont want to pay the toll?just do a u-turneek.gif
    Love the accents toosmile.gif
    Driving along that point regulaly myself that video is actually scary to watch. You could be just beginning to overtake an arctic and suddenly it's goodnight Vienna.:rolleyes:

On a similar note heading between Mullinavat and Waterford on the M9 yesterday, it was a real blast from the past to see a tractor and trailer trundling along in the slow lane at about 50km/h! I know it's not illegal but when most of the other traffic is doing 120km/h you would think common sense would say use the old road!

Regarding the heavy braking approaching the M9 Quarry roundabout, I wonder is this more of a product of driver exuberance rather than ignorance of the approaching roundabout. Between 3 massive directional signs, motorway end signage, and that amber coloured tarmac, I would have thought it gives drivers about as much warning as possible.

Isn't illegal for agricultural equipment to use the motorway?

It is illegal for vehicles incapable of speeds greater than 50km/h.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I drove the road yesterday. Waterford to Dublin in 2hrs 6mins.

Im wondering though, my main delay was the KK to Paulstown section.
    Would I be quicker coming off the motorway at Thomastown and going the old way to Paulstown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Theoretically using Google Maps:
    Waterford to Knocktopher village is 16 minutes
    Knocktopher to Powerstown via the old and quiet N9 is 36 minutes

Using the N10 via Kilkenny:
    Waterford to Danesfort is 18 minutes
    Danesfort to Powerstown via the now busier N10 is 32 minutes

I've done the Kilkenny way a few times and it's more like 40-45 minutes from Danesfort to Powerstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

Hi all,

I have driver both routes

Paulstown via the old M9 took me 24 mins from the knocktopher exit

Paulstown via Danesfort and the KK ring road took me 23 mins from the knockertopher exit.

Granted this was at about 7:40 in the morning but on the return trip via KK ring road took much longer due to the increased volumes of traffic.

I'll be travelling to and from Dublin via the old M9 until the final section of Motorway opens.

Flop

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bol_Whelan

I have not yet driven the new Waterford - Danesfort section of the M9 (looking forward to it), but I found that I could drive to Dublin Airport in 2 hours 15 mins from Waterford City late last year. (all be it early morning for a red eye flight).

I actually think that there have been so many improvements on this route. The widening of the Naas Duel carriageway, the removal of the traffic lights on the same section, the removal of the toll bridge on the M50, the N7 Interchange and of course the new motorway sections. Back in 2006 I remember taking 4 and a half hours to drive from the Airport to Waterford. Over an hour alone just getting to the toll bridge and another hour getting to the Bewleys hotel (sole destoying).

I think the true benefit will be the final section opens, but already its fantastic.

Its hardly fantastic doing 100 miles in 2.5 hours.

I never remember it taking 4.5 hours Waterford to the airport, not in 25 years of traveling.

The worst part of the journey to Dublin from Waterford has always been Waterford - Paulstown. 35 miles in a hour.

Once Danesfort - Carlow is open, and we see the journey take 1.5 hours, then that'll be fantastic.

Well, 'sensible' is the word I'd use rather than fantastic.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Chesco

flop wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have driver both routes

Paulstown via the old M9 took me 24 mins from the knocktopher exit

Paulstown via Danesfort and the KK ring road took me 23 mins from the knockertopher exit.

Granted this was at about 7:40 in the morning but on the return trip via KK ring road took much longer due to the increased volumes of traffic.

I'll be travelling to and from Dublin via the old M9 until the final section of Motorway opens.

Flop

Should this read

Paulstown via the old N9 ?
    And Paulstown via Dansford and KK ring road from the Danesfordt exit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

He timing the journey from the same point, so Knocktopher exit is right.

M9 bit is obviously wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bol_Whelan

alinton wrote: »
    I never remember it taking 4.5 hours Waterford to the airport, not in 25 years of traveling.

You obviously never had to negotiate the toll bridge or the N7 turn off at its worst. Say at peak hour on a Friday a common time to hit it if you have been away on business all week. Sure 4.5 hours is extreme, but I genually had a couple of very unfortunate trips where it took 2 hours getting from the Airport to Bewleys Hotel. A distance of only 13 miles.

I totally agree that the worst bit of road is the piece from Waterford to Paulstown but my point is that we have seen so many improvements on this route and every one has helped the driving time. And yes I think its fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Are GPS maps ( for Garmin Nuvi ) available yet for the open sections of the M9 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Open Street Map has it - you can Garmin-ify OSM =0)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Are GPS maps ( for Garmin Nuvi ) available yet for the open sections of the M9 ?

Parts of the M8 isn't even on that yet parts of which are open for nearly two years now, and that was with a map "upgrade" before Christmas. Satnav mapping in Ireland is very hit and miss and I find custom POI's added in from Google Earth or OSM to be the best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Doing a red eye drive from Waterford-Dublin Airport last week, it took pretty much the same length of time getting to Paulstown via Kilkenny compared to what Waterford-Paulstown took previously when entirely on the old N9 when empty of traffic. This is about 40 minutes from the outskirts of Waterford. In off-peak times I'd definetly choose the via Kilkenny route just for the better road quality alone.

By last Tuesday anyway, the section of old N9 from Paulstown-Ballyhale was still 100km/h but had dropped to an 80km/h limit from Ballyhale to Waterford.

Coming back last Tuesday night in the snow we took the old route back from Paulstown-Mullinavat out of worry of potential snow on the high section of M9 between Lukeswell and Knocktopher. The old route seems to be even more of a rough ride now with the standing water much worse than I've seen before. Presumably a product of less trucks dispersing the water.

All in all its amazeing to see the transformation of the landscape in South Kilkenny now with the M9. The scenary heading south from Mullinavat-Waterford is fanatastic. Can't wait for the final section to open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Bol_Whelan wrote: »
    I think the true benefit will be the final section opens, but already its fantastic.

That plus Newlands cross when it's finished will make it completely non-stop to the airport.

I agree with you these new roads are fantastic - I know we should have had them years ago but at least we didn't waste ALL the Celtic Tiger money ...

Slightly off-topic, but with improved journey times to Dublin airport, does this threaten the future of Waterford airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stinicker wrote: »
    Parts of the M8 isn't even on that yet parts of which are open for nearly two years now, and that was with a map "upgrade" before Christmas. Satnav mapping in Ireland is very hit and miss and I find custom POI's added in from Google Earth or OSM to be the best bet.

City Navigator 2010.30 has the entire open M8 on it. Still the wrong speed limit on the Watergrasshill BP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

serfboard wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but with improved journey times to Dublin airport, does this threaten the future of Waterford airport?

this has already been brought up in this thread - start a new thread if you want to discuss Waterford Airport and the M9 - please keep this thread confined to the M9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

MYOB wrote: »
    City Navigator 2010.30 has the entire open M8 on it. Still the wrong speed limit on the Watergrasshill BP though.

OSM seriously is the only one I'd trust for the new roads. Just cant beat it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement