Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are they not nearly finished around Paulstown though?

They were working on the roundabout on the N9 end of the link road last time I was through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

MYOB wrote: »
    Are they not nearly finished around Paulstown though?

They were working on the roundabout on the N9 end of the link road last time I was through.

No ,they seem to have stopped working there for the moment,the M9-N10-N9 link road doesnt have any tar down yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bridestream

What is the quickest route from Naas to Athy please?
    How long can I expect it to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What is the quickest route from Naas to Athy please?

The M3.

Seriously, how hard is it to look at a map? I'm expecting "What's the quickest route from Dublin to Cork?" any day now.

The world is made up of too many 'stark' types of people who instead of being genuinely helpful and providing the correct answer - if he knows it - insists on creating verbal aggro.
    I haven't travelled to Athy for many years and I am aware from recent media reports the M9 motorway extends to Carlow - although the AA route planner still only shows the N9 to Carlow?
    My road maps are rather old and obviously will NOT show the newly opened
    M9 and, I wondered if it might be quicker to use the newly extended M9 instead of taking what I recall as the 'old' N78 to Athy.
    My apologies if this is rather long winded but even 'Stark' might now understand why I asked the original question.
    I look forward to a helpful 'someone' who will provide the answer.
    Many thanks and safe motoring to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Stark wrote: »
    The M3.

Seriously, how hard is it to look at a map? I'm expecting "What's the quickest route from Dublin to Cork?" any day now.

We had Newry to Dundalk a few weeks ago.

"Hi, I am at Junction 4 of the M1 heading northbound. I was wondering what the quickest way to get to junction 5 is..."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The world is made up of too many 'stark' types of people who instead of being genuinely helpful and providing the correct answer - if he knows it - insists on creating verbal aggro.
    I haven't travelled to Athy for many years and I am aware from recent media reports the M9 motorway extends to Carlow - although the AA route planner still only shows the N9 to Carlow?
    My road maps are rather old and obviously will NOT show the newly opened
    M9 and, I wondered if it might be quicker to use the newly extended M9 instead of taking what I recall as the 'old' N78 to Athy.
    My apologies if this is rather long winded but even 'Stark' might now understand why I asked the original question.
    Many thanks and safe motoring to you all.

Get on the M7 at Naas. Turn off for the M9. Take the N78 exit for Athy. Simples.

http://osm.org/go/es9IGVN-

It would help if you had asked what you said above: "Is it quicker to use the new or the old N78?" to show that you had gone to some effort of looking it up yourself rather than expecting someone else to take out the map for you. (The new N78 is quicker).

The world is not obliged to do your homework for you.

Thank you for indicating there is a new N78.
    I didn't know there was a new N78.

I have no doubt there is no map printed to show me
    (a) the extended M9 and
    (b) the new N78.

My original query was a very simple and straightforward one but your initial response was very 'uncooperative' and unnecessary to say the least.
    I am also of the vintage who has travelled the length and breadth of the 32 counties of this Island beginning in the 60's and ending in the 90's.
    Since I retired travelling in the 90's the road network has changed dramatically, especially within a radius of 100km of Dublin.

Anyway many thanks for the new N78 info and safe driveing to one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

I have no doubt there is no map printed to show me
    (a) the extended M9 and
    (b) the new N78.

My original query was a very simple and straightforward one but your initial response was very 'uncooperative' and unnecessary to say the least.
    I am also of the vintage who has travelled the length and breadth of the 32 counties of this Island beginning in the 60's and ending in the 90's.
    Since I retired travelling in the 90's the road network has changed dramatically, especially within a radius of 100km of Dublin.

Anyway many thanks for the new N78 info and safe driveing to one and all.

This thread is about M9 Construction Updates not about finding directions or map updates - if you are interested please start a new thread - or better yet start at the very begining of this thread and you will see there are a lot of updates on the new Athy road

please do not ruin a good thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I think the negative reactions are because the thread you posted to already includes this information, along with links to the one and only map that has these roads up to date.

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    No ,they seem to have stopped working there for the moment,the M9-N10-N9 link road doesnt have any tar down yet.

They were working on the N9 RAB again today (was down in Ballyhale again).

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Some pictures taken Thursday/Friday 17th/18th June around J7. Work seems to be going again.

M9-J7southboundofframp.jpg
    M9-J7 southbound off ramp

M9lookingnorthfromJ7overbridge.jpg
    M9 looking north from J7 overbridge

NewN9-N10linkroadatN10end.jpg
    New N9-N10 link road at N10 end

NewN9-N10linkroadatN9end.jpg
    New N9-N10 link road at N9 end

M9lookingsouthfromJ7overbridge.jpg
    M9 looking south from J7 overbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Drove the Carlow-Kilcullen scheme for the first time today. Super road with a seamless surface. It was quite busy too.

Furet wrote: »
    Drove the Carlow-Kilcullen scheme for the first time today. Super road with a seamless surface. It was quite busy too.

Did you experience the groaning surface? Its at about 84km/h in my Citroen, not managed to find the right speed in my Panda though. Very odd even when you know its there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

1 hour 35 minutes from roundabout at the start of the motorway in Waterford to Newlands cross, very early Saturday morning. Got off the motorway at knocktopher, through Thomastown etc. Absolutely no traffic on the country roads. I reckon you will shave 10-12 mins off this when the final section opens.

I also drove the new section of motorway just opened below Portlaoise, on the way to Limerick. Amazed how bad the surface finish was. It looks fine, but the car was bouncing and shaking along. I'm sure glad this is not the surface finish on the M9. I'm surprised it was signed off OK. (I know this is the M9 thread, before anyone gives out!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Did you experience the groaning surface? Its at about 84km/h in my Citroen, not managed to find the right speed in my Panda though. Very odd even when you know its there!

No, at no stage did I do under 120 on it. It seemed to be the smoothest of all the new motorways to me - totally seamless, like a carpet. By contrast the surfacing in the M7/M8 was so badly done that you can see (and feel) the join marks from the paver's treatment of various asphalt lorry loads - but not at all on this section of M9.

I wouldn't usually be doing under 140 but I had to experience the groan for myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

I did, both when it first opened and when I travelled it recently. I'm used to weird road noise from my Stateside driving, but this is a new one for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

M9 - perfect surface. New M7 from Portlaoise bypass to Borris - like driving over cobblestones. How is that? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Stop and go system at Paulstown (new roundabout on N9) for last 2 days. I wonder what they are up to?
    They still don't seem to have made much more progress on the new link road, anyone else any updates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The motorway itself seems to be just about finished,I've driven up the back roads around Old Leighlin,Paulstown,Gowran, Dunbell and all the lines are down and equipment is gone.
    It just seems to be the link roads at Paulstown and the new n10 link road need finishing,but work is progressing at a good rate and plenty of activity in these areas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

The motorway itself seems to be just about finished,I've driven up the back roads around Old Leighlin,Paulstown,Gowran, Dunbell and all the lines are down and equipment is gone.
    It just seems to be the link roads at Paulstown and the new n10 link road need finishing,but work is progressing at a good rate and plenty of activity in these areas now.

so, are we looking at end July / early August for an opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Rang the Kilkenny Roads office today to see if they had an estimated opening time. They said mid-to-late September is what they are aiming for. Kind of hoped that it might be earlier given the previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Jayuu wrote: »
    Rang the Kilkenny Roads office today to see if they had an estimated opening time. They said mid-to-late September is what they are aiming for. Kind of hoped that it might be earlier given the previous post.

The Politicans will be on summer holiday until ???? probably mid to late September!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

The Politicans will be on summer holiday until ???? probably mid to late September!!!:mad:

It also could be that they've been told to say this date in response to general queries while knowing that they could be finished earlier. But rather than give an earlier date and then miss that deadline they're giving the latest date possible.

I'm hoping that this is the case! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

Is completion of the link roads necessary to allow the motorway open?

That new Athy road not being ready didn't stop the Kilcullen Carlow section from opening?

Tks!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I have more pictures on my flickr pape at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40914919@N02/

If i get time I will post some of them on here.

My views are my own.

4765523186_11e3c402b3.jpg
    At Dansford looking north

My views are my own.

4765514350_bb9a218553.jpg
    Just north of Bennestsbridge looking south

My views are my own.

• Advertisement

4765490904_8ee2d6d56a.jpg