Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sully wrote: »
    What do you mean by "nothing to Waterford"? Petrol station wise from Ballyhale like? Waterford is well served in the city with 24hour petrol stations and shops thankfully, but its not much good on the Dub-Wat route that you only get something when you arrive :P

Whats the huge one outside Waterford tho?

"nothing to Waterford" = "nothing from Ballyhale to Waterford". After Ballyhale - which has just a shop with a pump, the next station is Texaco at Newrath.

There was a MASSIVE Esso with seated restaurant at Newrath on the old N9 that closed down about 18mths ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

MYOB wrote: »
    "nothing to Waterford" = "nothing from Ballyhale to Waterford". After Ballyhale - which has just a shop with a pump, the next station is Texaco at Newrath.

There was a MASSIVE Esso with seated restaurant at Newrath on the old N9 that closed down about 18mths ago.

Ah yes the Redbridge Filling station which ESSO contributed a huge amount towards the build and the owners then sourced other cheaper unbranded petrol - they closed pretty quickly once ESSO did a spot check

I wouldn't call it huge though - just an average sized station with about 12 pumps

Bards wrote: »
    Ah yes the Redbridge Filling station which ESSO contributed a huge amount towards the build and the owners then sourced other cheaper unbranded petrol - they closed pretty quickly once ESSO did a spot check

I wouldn't call it huge though - just an average sized station with about 12 pumps

Was more the "facilities building" that was big (for Ireland)

Esso Ireland have a very weird approach to strategic service stations in Ireland; they 100% own one within spitting distance of the M4 at Maynooth and its horribly run down; at some point the conference centre/restaurant/etc facilites they have at Mullingar on the N4 w/b were knocked and replaced by a photocopy of the station w/b on the N7, and so on.

They also have plans for a UK-style MSA complete with hotel on the N7 n/b, dunno if they got planning permission though.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I challenge anyone complaining about the M9 Motorway to drive the old road & it's tractors & ould fellas .... and imagine it with all the traffic on the motorway .... & feck the begrudgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

come on down ... enjoy the drive & enjoy www.spraoi.com Ireland's BIGGEST STREET Festival :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Hiya,

Anyone have any updates on how the Danesfort to Powerstown section is coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Some pictures from J7 (Paulstown) this evening.

FromtheJ7overbridgeNorthbound.jpg
    From the J7 overbridge looking Northbound

FromJ7overbridgelookingSouthbound.jpg
    From J7 overbridge looking Southbound

FromJ7lookingtowardsN10roundabout.jpg
    From J7 looking towards N10 roundabout. Mount Leinster in background.

FromN10roundabouttowardsN9a.jpg
    Link road from N10 roundabout towards N9. Note footpath and lighting between N9 and N10 (!).

J7lookingacrossrailwaybridgetowardsN10roundabout.jpg
    From J7 looking across railway bridge towards N10 roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Branch

Does anyone think when coming off the M9 southbound at waterford end its tight when taking a left on the roundabout heading into city....as its a 2 lane road but it seems to start off as 1 and a half lane and then widens to 2 lanes. Is it my imagination as there is no lines or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 waterford1980

Branch wrote: »
    Does anyone think when coming off the M9 southbound at waterford end its tight when taking a left on the roundabout heading into city....as its a 2 lane road but it seems to start off as 1 and a half lane and then widens to 2 lanes. Is it my imagination as there is no lines or something.

Yes I agree I think that whole section of fly over is very poorly layed out, I use it every morning/evening and I think it's only a matter of time before there is going to be a big collision before they realize how poor it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40914919@N02/

Final section of new N10 getting wear surface looking towards Kilkenny
    4856578222_9695db7022.jpg
    New N10
    4856577170_dae86b845b.jpg

New N10
    4856576204_dd604b188e.jpg

New N10 looking towards trumpet with M9
    4856574212_1451175854.jpg

M9 looking down onto new N10 trumpet junction
    4856573238_a69fdf32cf.jpg

My views are my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 eugyoung

hi can i ask a question is then N10 from the M9 to kilkenny going to be dual carrageway or a single lane road
    Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

"Link road from N10 roundabout towards N9. Note footpath and lighting between N9 and N10 (!)."

A good idea IMO,the good citizens of paulstown will use it for walking and exercising anyway as it is a nice circular route(with views of Mount Leinster).
    The had to retro-fit footpaths to the ring road in kilkenny.

The N10 link road to Kilkenny from the M9 will be single carrigeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eugyoung

ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

drove from Waterford to Kilkenny on the M9 today First time :D it was great the road was incredible and so relaxing to drive on It knocked atleast 15-20 mins off my journey a great Asset To the South-East Cant wait for the next section to open :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

RobitTV wrote: »
    drove from Waterford to Kilkenny on the M9 today First time :D it was great the road was incredible and so relaxing to drive on It knocked atleast 15-20 mins off my journey a great Asset To the South-East Cant wait for the next section to open :D

A great asset and while we all can't wait does anybody have an update!

We were all critical of BAM for their project management failings and we were all lauding Roadbridge. Are we rethinking this now or is there a genuine reason for the torturess progress on the last section since Spring?

Just deperate!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Reply from NRA
    The N10 Kilkenny Link will not be classified as a Motorway. Appropriate signage will be erected at the entry to the N10 from Kilkenny indicating that the road enters a Motorway. As there are no other destinations from the road, non Motorway traffic will have no requirement to use this road.

Translation "Its a secret motorway". If it inescapbly leads to a road with motorway classifications, its a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Surprised the didn't stick a roundabout on the interchange like they did at the Airside exit on the M1 (exit 3),

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.442353,-6.207554&spn=0.00347,0.01545&t=k&z=17

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Completely ridiculous attitude when it comes to the N10 link. What is their problem about designating it a motorway?

As the saying goes - "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Jayuu wrote: »
    Completely ridiculous attitude when it comes to the N10 link. What is their problem about designating it a motorway?

As the saying goes - "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Think it might have something to do with the number of lanes??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Think it might have something to do with the number of lanes??

That's not an obstacle. Manchester had a motorway exactly like this for years. They downgraded it, but not before providing a roundabout turnback at the main motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

mackerski wrote: »
    That's not an obstacle. Manchester had a motorway exactly like this for years. They downgraded it, but not before providing a roundabout turnback at the main motorway.

To disignate a single carriageway road as a motorway would require a change in Legislation, which I doubt will be a top priority for the government any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My thinking anyway is they're afraid some people will see the blue signs, think there's two lanes heading in the one direction and we'll end up head on collisions.
    Road-Hog wrote:
    To disignate a single carriageway road as a motorway would require a change in Legislation, which I doubt will be a top priority for the government any time soon

It's motorway by default by virtue of leading inescapably to motorway. They're just not signing it that way.

Stark wrote: »
    My thinking anyway is they're afraid some people will see the blue signs, think there's two lanes heading in the one direction and we'll end up head on collisions.

It's motorway by default by virtue of leading inescapably to motorway. They're just not signing it that way.

You know that and I know that ;)

The problem is, given that it's a normal road in build quality, the only reason for it to be a motorway is to keep non-motorway traffic off it, because of this inescapable property. By failing to sign is as motorway they create all kinds of problems, including people thinking it's a nice place to walk the dog.

Germany and Austria, for instance, don't believe in the viral nature of motorway restrictions and are happy to have motorway restrictions appear in the middle of nowhere with no escape. But I've only ever seen them do this from vehicle-only roads (signed with the car on a blue background) which already exclude prohibited traffic. They don't have the problem of learner drivers, as there's no such thing outside the context of a driving school, and driving schools actually have lessons on the Autobahn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Follow up re non-motorway link road

Subject: Re: Link Road from Kilkenny to the M9

Dear XXX

If "non-motorway" traffic does enter this road, will it be possible
    for such traffic to exit this road without entering the motorway?
    Kind regards
    JD
    Subject: Re: Link Road from Kilkenny to the M9

With reference to your last email regarding the above, I have made further enquiries and the simple answer is no - not legally. This is why the signage is being provided to inform that access will lead to motorway access only. In effect, it is the equivalent of accessing an on-ramp to a motorway at any other location albeit a much longer on-ramp. There is no reason, other than to access the motorway, for a vehicle to use the link road.

In addition, while it is not illegal to perform a u-turn at a safe location and subject to the road markings at that location, a vehicle on the link road wishing to return to Kilkenny rather than enter the motorway could make the u-turn. We would not encourage this though, hence the advisory signs not to use the road other than for motorway access. No turn around facilities are being provided for non motorway traffic.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Kind regards
    MS ABC
    Programme & Regulatory Unit

I wonder why it wasn't designated a motorway, given the above?!? :):)

jd wrote: »
    I wonder why it wasn't designated a motorway, given the above?!? :):)

It's a bit mad, alright - there are clear (albeit mostly botched on Irish roads) ways in road signing to indicate a route that leads inescapably to a motorway. These are:
    • The directional sign pointing people in the direction of the road carries the "chipsticks" motorway symbol on a blue backing, indicating that, if you take that direction, you will end up on the motorway
    • The start of motorway sign, with chopsticks and a route number. You pass this at the point of no return (or, more usually these days, by the time you're mostly down the slip road and it's too late to turn)

It seems that in this case, they will be doing neither of these things, but erecting instead an unusual sign that drivers may have to spend far too long thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

Road-Hog wrote: »

When it originally opened wasn't the N81 end of the M50 Western Parkway single carriageway for a few hundred metres?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

In effect, it is the equivalent of accessing an on-ramp to a motorway at any other location albeit a much longer on-ramp. There is no reason, other than to access the motorway, for a vehicle to use the link road.

Its an on-ramp, just longer than normal.
    Should have barrier down the center to prevent head on collosions, and idiots making u-turns

No horse, dogs, cats, walker or joggers wishing to get run over should be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

tharlear wrote: »
    Its an on-ramp, just longer than normal.
    Should have barrier down the center to prevent head on collosions, and idiots making u-turns

It's a long road to not allow overtaking on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

It's a long road to not allow overtaking on.

How many km?

I,ve been on on-ramps in the US that are 1.5 to 2 miles long. But normally if its more than a mile they make it a HCDC that dead ends into the motorway

Do you think it should be HCDC?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement