Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

I heard a rumor today that they are aiming for a September 8th opening. Nothing to back it up though. It certainly looks achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

I think the mainline should definitely be open, prob weeks before now! I know the N10 link is behind and work at Paulstown junctions, but for people goin Dublin to Waterford as the motorway intends, theres a road there waiting to be used!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Joe Gannon was on KCLR this morning saying that the official opening ceremony will be 11am on the 9th of September.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    Joe Gannon was on KCLR this morning saying that the official opening ceremony will be 11am on the 9th of September.

C.

That would be brilliant (who is Joe Gannon though?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Jayuu wrote: »
    That would be brilliant (who is Joe Gannon though?).

AFAIK He is the Pjoject Manager employed by Kilkenny Co Co

• Advertisement

Bards wrote: »
    AFAIK He is the Pjoject Manager employed by Kilkenny Co Co

Ah, good! So he's somebody who should know what he's talking about. I'm now even more excited at this news.

Just to go back to the N10 link I'm wondering how this is going to be signposted on the Kilkenny ring road.

Clearly the signage is going to have to indicate that the new N10 > Dublin leads directly to the M9. So is going to be marked as the N10(M9). And is the old N10 (the new R712) going to continue to be signposted for Dublin. Otherwise the signage itself is going to potentially create issues in putting inapporpriate traffic onto the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »

C.

http://www.kclr96fm.com/news?id=21797
    Stretch Of The M9 To Open Next Month
    Wednesday 18 August 2010

Theres less than a month left before the final part of the M9 motorway is open.

The remaining part of the stretch between Powerstown and Knocktopher will be officially opened by Minister Noel Dempsey at 11 o clock on 9th September.

Project co-ordinator Joe Gannon says it will open ahead of schedule and under budget

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Will the N10 link road be opened at the same time or will it be opened at a later stage like with the Athy link road?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Stark wrote: »
    Will the N10 link road be opened at the same time or will it be opened at a later stage like with the Athy link road?
    According to joe gannon the link road will open the 9th also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Well according to RTE the M9 is opening this day 3 weeks (Sept 8 th)http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0818/m9.html

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Well according to RTE the M9 is opening this day 3 weeks (Sept 8 th)http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0818/m9.html

Richie the link you posted says it's Sept 9th (not the 8th). So everyone agrees it's the 9th. Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Richie the link you posted says it's Sept 9th (not the 8th). So everyone agrees it's the 9th. Can't wait.

My bad :) but it also says in the link that its 3 weeks from today which would make it Sept 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

At long last, the end is in sight. The N10 Kilkenny link road only needs lining and signs to be put on the posts. You could finish it tomorrow (ie a day) if you really needed to, so it wont be holding up the show.

Cant wait...

My views are my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

THE ENTIRE M9 Dublin to Waterford motorway will be open next month following the completion of a final 40km section three months ahead of schedule.

Motorists will be able to use the new section of road – which cost almost €500 million – from lunchtime on Thursday, September 9th, after a planned ribbon-cutting ceremony that morning by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey.

The stretch of new dual carriageway traverses Co Kilkenny from Paulstown to Knocktopher. The biggest change for motorists will be bypassing Kilkenny city, which will be accessible via a new 6km link road.

The completion of the M9, which runs through Counties Kildare, Carlow and Kilkenny and was built in four stages, significantly reduces journey times between Dublin and Waterford.

Mr Dempsey previously commented that “it will be possible to travel from the Red Cow roundabout [on the M50 in Dublin] to Waterford in 90 minutes while observing the speed limit”.

This last stage of the project (including the link road) cost €467 million – just over €10 million per kilometre – which one official said was “reasonable by international standards” as it included “everything” including buying the land, design, archaeological surveys and excavations, and construction. It was developed as a joint venture between Roadbridge and Sisk.

There was good news for motorists with confirmation from the National Roads Authority that the M9 will be toll-free.

The opening means Waterford becomes the third city in the Republic linked to Dublin by motorway following the earlier opening of the M6 to Galway and the M8 to Cork.

The M7 to Limerick is expected to open by the end of the year. Work on its two remaining sections, Castletown to Nenagh (36km) and Nenagh to Limerick (38km) is close to completion.

It was also announced yesterday that the final phase of a western bypass of Mullingar, Co Westmeath, has opened to traffic.

An eastern bypass of the town on the N52 was completed in 2004 and, together with the N4 Dublin to Sligo road, the bypasses now offer an orbital route around the midlands town.

The final scheme will be formally opened to traffic on Monday September 6th by cathaoirleach of Westmeath County Council Michael Dollard.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0819/1224277150156.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Furet wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0819/1224277150156.html

Mr Dempsey previously commented that “it will be possible to travel from the Red Cow roundabout [on the M50 in Dublin] to Waterford in 90 minutes while observing the speed limit”.

He's rebuilding the roundabout???

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

NedNew wrote: »
    Also noticed for those interested:

The Kilcullen-Carlow section has rumble strip yellow lines but does not (yet?) have emergency phones installed.

These seem to have gone in yesterday and today. They're not operational yet (covered with black plastic) but are in place every 2km on both sides.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

NedNew wrote: »
    Also noticed for those interested:

The Kilcullen-Carlow section has rumble strip yellow lines but does not (yet?) have emergency phones installed.

What about getting these the full way down the motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

Cannot wait for this to be finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jgbyrne99

I wonder if the new 40km would be open before the offical date of the 9th September as they have done before with a few other projects.

Going to Dublin on the 4th of Sept and returning to Waterford on the 8th so im going mad im missing the opening by 1 day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnRos

It would be nice to have it open in time for the hurling final next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

JohnRos wrote: »
    It would be nice to have it open in time for the hurling final next week.

With you on that one. It would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Taken yesterday.

IMG_5356.JPG

IMG_5357.JPG

IMG_5358.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

If this road had opened last week two lives could have been saved. Last weekend a motorcyclist was killed on the R705 between Muine Bheag and Borris - while not strictly the N9, it is the main route from the N9 at LeighlinBridge to New Ross, SouthWest Wexford and South Kilkenny - when the new route opens it will be quicker and much safer to travel further south on the motorway and travel via Mullinivat or even Waterford City.

Also tonight, acording to the radio report, a person was killed near Paulstown off the N9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

NedNew2 wrote: »
    If this road had opened last week two lives could have been saved. Last weekend a motorcyclist was killed on the R705 between Muine Bheag and Borris - while not strictly the N9, it is the main route from the N9 at LeighlinBridge to New Ross, SouthWest Wexford and South Kilkenny - when the new route opens it will be quicker and much safer to travel further south on the motorway and travel via Mullinivat or even Waterford City.

Also tonight, acording to the radio report, a person was killed near Paulstown off the N9.

So its the NRA's/Dept of Transport/Co Co's who are to blame.......personal responsibility never comes into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Road-Hog wrote: »
    So its the NRA's/Dept of Transport/Co Co's who are to blame.......personal responsibility never comes into it?

Why so defensive? He didn't necessarily blame anyone.

I wonder if the new road is scenic? And hopefully it is well landscaped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Road-Hog wrote: »

Two things:

(1) I agree the person blaming the NRA etc is way OTT given we don't (I assume) have any idea from where to where the people in the crash were going to/from.

(2) On the other hand we have spent forever, till the motorways opened, hearing from the PC brigade how the high road fatalities in Ireland were nothing to do with appalling roads.

We now know (that is those of us who didn't always know) that this was complete crap.
    :cool:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Two things:

(1) I agree the person blaming the NRA etc is way OTT given we don't (I assume) have any idea from where to where the people in the crash were going to/from.

(2) On the other hand we have spent forever, till the motorways opened, hearing from the PC brigade how the high road fatalities in Ireland were nothing to do with appalling roads.

We now know (that is those of us who didn't always know) that this was complete crap.
    :cool:

Erm, who is the person blaming the NRA? Its not me, I never mentioned anything about the NRA or council or even the word blame... I'm merely stating it is unfortunate that it wasn't opened sooner as it could possibly have saved 2 lives, thats all, I'm not blaming anybody....hold your horses there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I have some photos from the weekend on the M9 end of the new N10 Kilkenny link road. The white line was added since on Tuesday. There are no signs yet at the Kilkenny end but should be shortly.

4946491496_20fbf0f444.jpg
    4946497848_c988be7a53.jpg
    4945918049_441aa964e6_z.jpg

My views are my own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement