Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Isambard wrote: »
    i'm guessing they didn't start investigations until daybreak.

The motorbike was still there at 2 this afternoon.
    The survey consisted of the guards randomly pulling people into the centre of the road to be surveyed by officials from or on behalf of TII.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The detail of the accident would only be in the detail of an accident report. It would not be decided before informing GSOC. The accident, involving a Guard and Garda Vehicle would trigger GSOC involvement. I think that is the protocol.
    I wonder did someone have to travel from Dublin to view the scene?

Water John wrote: »
    The detail of the accident would only be in the detail of an accident report. It would not be decided before informing GSOC. The accident, involving a Guard and Garda Vehicle would trigger GSOC involvement. I think that is the protocol.
    I wonder did someone have to travel from Dublin to view the scene?

There was a big Garda Incident Unit truck present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

I hit upon that census today when I was passing through, on the Cork side of Mallow. They asked me how I would get to Cork if I couldn't use the N20; would I go via Mitchelstown or via Cahir? Thought it was odd, but they're presumably plotting alternative routes for a Limerick-Cork motorway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Totofan99 wrote: »
    I hit upon that census today when I was passing through, on the Cork side of Mallow. They asked me how I would get to Cork if I couldn't use the N20; would I go via Mitchelstown or via Cahir? Thought it was odd, but they're presumably plotting alternative routes for a Limerick-Cork motorway.

I'd be telling them I'd use the N20 regardless - best to nip this **** in the bud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

I doubt they'd need the public's help to come up with an alternate route. Google Maps and a ruler could tell you that building cross-country from Mitchelstown would be faster and cheaper. I don't think it would be justifiable though - the N20 and N24 would both still need massive safety upgrades regardless. Maybe they want to establish an official detour if incidents like today's occur, so the whole flow of traffic between Cork and Limerick isn't just shut down.

We need to a regular poster on this board who works at TII, who can explain their thinking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I doubt they'd need the public's help to come up with an alternate route. Google Maps and a ruler could tell you that building cross-country from Mitchelstown would be faster and cheaper. I don't think it would be justifiable though - the N20 and N24 would both still need massive safety upgrades regardless. Maybe they want to establish an official detour if incidents like today's occur, so the whole flow of traffic between Cork and Limerick isn't just shut down.

We need to a regular poster on this board who works at TII, who can explain their thinking.

No it wouldn't. The Gort-Tuam motorway was built using this logic and look how that worked out

Build an "M513" and you still need Mallow-Cork dualling, Mallow northern bypass, Ballybeg bends realignment, Buttevant bypass, Charleville bypass and other small realignments and junction upgrades. And you'd still have plenty of deaths. This has been debated at length on here.

Our great cretin of a Transport Minister might get pleasure from these "creative and imaginative solutions" but TII know what the best route is, shadowing the N20.

marno21 wrote: »

I'd be telling them I'd use the N20 regardless - best to nip this **** in the bud
    That's exactly what I told them first! But their question was, if the N20 wasn't there, at all, which route would I use?

That's exactly what I told them first! But their question was, if the N20 wasn't there, at all, which route would I use?

This is a bizarre line of questioning. I'd be telling them I'd take the train

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

No it wouldn't. The Gort-Tuam motorway was built using this logic and look how that worked out

Build an "M513" and you still need Mallow-Cork dualling, Mallow northern bypass, Ballybeg bends realignment, Buttevant bypass, Charleville bypass and other small realignments and junction upgrades. And you'd still have plenty of deaths. This has been debated at length on here.

Our great cretin of a Transport Minister might get pleasure from these "creative and imaginative solutions" but TII know what the best route is, shadowing the N20.
    Sorry, I might not have been clear. I think a motorway from Mitchelstown is a poor and short-sighted solution. However, as you noted, TII also recognise this, which is why nobody is seriously discussing Mitchelstown as an alternative route. That's why I doubt that the surveyors today had any interest in nefariously rerouting a future motorway to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The purpose of surveys and thus the type of questions often asked, is to confirm the preferred choice of the, powers that be, whoever they are.

This is a bizarre line of questioning. I'd be telling them I'd take the train
    I'm guessing they're sussing out a preferred route (M20), a second route ('M513') and a third (via Cahir). That's what I would gather from it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Why was the road closed for so long for a single vehicle accident?

Because we live in Ireland.!!
    A speedy recovery to the unfortunate motorcyclist involved, but is there any other country in the civilized world where a main artery through the country is still closed 12 hours after a single vehicle accident. Imagine this happening on the M1 from Leeds to London or the Autobahn from Berlin to Hamburg.
    Protocol my a##e.
    It was nothing short of a miracle that there wasn't a serious or fatal accident on the detour routes today between Rathduff and Mourneabbey,
    We seriously need to wise up in this country and put the PC brigade where they belong.

Sorry, I might not have been clear. I think a motorway from Mitchelstown is a poor and short-sighted solution. However, as you noted, TII also recognise this, which is why nobody is seriously discussing Mitchelstown as an alternative route. That's why I doubt that the surveyors today had any interest in nefariously rerouting a future motorway to Limerick.

Apologies Aontachtoir - didn't read properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭cjpm

What an absurd day to have the census. When radio stations are advising drivers to avoid the route. Any people that would definitely use the M20 Mallow Cork section would be actively using another route on the census day.

So drivers travelling between Limerick and Cork would head through Mitchelstown
    Between Kanturk and Cork would go through Bweeng.
    Between Killavullen and Cork would go through Whitechurch

So on so on......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

cjpm wrote: »
    What an absurd day to have the census. When radio stations are advising drivers to avoid the route. Any people that would definitely use the M20 Mallow Cork section would be actively using another route on the census day.

Like I said, only in Ireland. Banana Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

So drivers travelling between Limerick and Cork would head through Mitchelstown
    Between Kanturk and Cork would go through Bweeng.
    Between Killavullen and Cork would go through Whitechurch

So on so on......

Kanturk drivers would go via Nadd and many already do, however with an M20 I think many of those would swap to that route.

It's obvious their census will be meaningless but I imagine no-one on the ground had the authority to call it off.

Kanturk drivers would go via Nadd and many already do, however with an M20 I think many of those would swap to that route.

It's obvious their census will be meaningless but I imagine no-one on the ground had the authority to call it off.

Not even with just an M20, a North Ring Road. Would be much handier for Little Island, Carrigtwohill, Mahon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Chaos at the N20 N72 Roundabout in Mallow this evening.

Leo may say that we will eventually get the M20 but I won’t believe a thing until there is construction on site.

I think we are in for a rude awakening still with little funding in the next budget and there will still be continued calls for an M513.

People in high places do not want this road built. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

An M513 to M8(would obviously be called M20 though) wouldn't be as bad as an M24 to M8, but throwing more traffic onto Dunkettle would be madness. May as well throw the Killarney traffic on it too, make the traffic worse than the Dublin keys!

• Advertisement

The Roundabout Inn has gone up in smoke, chaos ensues.
    The emergency services in their wisdom have diverted everything through Mallow, hearing of upwards of an hour from Mallow South Exit to Mallow Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

the mind boggles how the traffic could be diverted through Drommahane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Just seen an up close video on Facebook, she’ll be gutted.

the mind boggles how the traffic could be diverted through Drommahane!

Divert past the sugar factory and out onto the N72 and next right for Ballyclough and onto Newtwopothouse.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/m-20-business-breakfast-tickets-37878416363
    The clown prince of Macroom is speaking, Mairead Lavery MC, spit guards for your brekkie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we please keep this thread on the M20 as an infrastructure thread.

I realise that the tendency has developed for posts commenting on accidents on the N20 and in particular those accidents the result in loss of life. This thread is concerned with the aspects that relate to infrastructure and not the aspects that relate to drivers and their unfortunate behaviour.

If you wish to discuss driving, the appropriate forum is in motoring or commuting and transport. Please keep the discussion here on route, planning, construction, funding, and so on. We all know how important the M20 is and how it will transform life in the South West.

Do not take this as a rebuke. It is intended to bring some order to this thread and keep off-topic posts at bay.

Pardon the long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭cjpm

So for the second time in 36 hours the route between the 2nd and 3rd largest cities (in the Rep) is closed. Beggars belief

Only just seen your post Sam apologies. There will be tumbleweed in the thread if we are waiting for M20 progress I feel!! :mad:

So for the second time in 36 hours the route between the 2nd and 3rd largest cities (in the Rep) is closed. Beggars belief

Only just seen you post Sam apologies. There will be tumbleweed in the thread if we are waiting for M20 progress I feel!! :mad:
    Yes, for the 2nd time in 2 days. It was also closed for a full day a few weeks back due to another fatal collision.

It also shows how ineffective the Mallow "relief road" is with development so close to it and also how shockingly bad the diversionary route through Mallow is.

Ideally traffic would be transitting the River Blackwater on a high level motorway bridge east of Mallow but we can't get greedy now can we.

• Advertisement

Advertisement