Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

marno21 wrote: »

Would it take 3/4 years to build? i'd have thought longer given the cost.

€20M won't do a huge amount though, but of course it is better than nothing.

That road is now the most important upgrade needed in this country.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Would it take 3/4 years to build? i'd have thought longer given the cost.

€20M won't do a huge amount though, but of course it is better than nothing.

That road is now the most important upgrade needed in this country.

If reactivated, the scheme will require €12-15m in its first 2 years of progression. This is why there's a lot of unhappiness as the 2 years will take 2 years no matter what and if the 12m was committed 2 years ago we'd be 2 years closer to construction.

It'll be a 3-4 year build depending on how much M40 is included.

If reactivated, the scheme will require €12-15m in its first 2 years of progression. This is why there's a lot of unhappiness as the 2 years will take 2 years no matter what and if the 12m was committed 2 years ago we'd be 2 years closer to construction.

It'll be a 3-4 year build depending on how much M40 is included.

That's only a drop in the ocean of the government coffers, so i can understand the unhappiness.

By the M40 are we referring to the Northern Ring Road linking up with the South ring road?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That's only a drop in the ocean of the government coffers, so i can understand the unhappiness.

By the M40 are we referring to the Northern Ring Road linking up with the South ring road?

Yep, one is the western section from Curraheen to Killeens and the other is Killeens-north of Glanmire and down to Dunkettle along the M8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

my guess is the Western arm will never be built. From Kileens to Glanmire is an extension of the M20 in effect and makes sense as most traffic heads across the river from the N20 anyway. The tunnel interchange would need to be rebuilt too before this could be put into effect, which probably means the Eastern arm won't get built in the short or medium term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

a suspected €450,000,000 increase for the welfare budget this year lads... priorities, priorities for government though :rolleyes::mad:

Idbatterim wrote: »
    a suspected €450,000,000 increase for the welfare budget this year lads... priorities, priorities for government though :rolleyes::mad:

Almost half the M20 shadowing the N20 right there in one budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Wins votes. Sadly not enough people give a crapp about Infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

And if we don't get the Rugby world cup, will the project be mothballed again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

betistuc wrote: »
    And if we don't get the Rugby world cup, will the project be mothballed again?

They RWC is exactly 6 years away. This is very unlikely to be ready by then, even if we win the right to host the tournament.

• Advertisement

They RWC is exactly 6 years away. This is very unlikely to be ready by then, even if we win the right to host the tournament.

Wouldn't it be pathetic if the RWC was the only reason they built the road, this is Ireland though :rolleyes:

Almost half the M20 shadowing the N20 right there in one budget.
    yeah so they get an extra E450,000,000 next year and every single year after that... :rolleyes: but cut MN and DU etc also to "save" pennies...

yeah so they get an extra E450,000,000 next year and every single year after that... :rolleyes: but cut MN and DU etc also to "save" pennies...

I smell an election in 2018 :mad:

this creates problems alright, as we are constantly now on election footing, the bribes for all , will be in every budget, as they dont know when the next one will be. Nothing is going to change here. Best case scenario that is realistic, FF and FG go into coalition. The way I see it, both will be very close seat count wise, SF dont want to go in and or even if they did, the other kingmakers wont go in with them either FF or FG...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Wins votes. Sadly not enough people give a crapp about Infrastructure
    Sadly, some people don't seem to care ablut poverty, either..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Let's stay on topic...

I do, we have a world class welfare system, the road linking cork - limerick and dublins transport infrastructure are third world...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

I do, we have a world class welfare system, the road linking cork - limerick and dublins transport infrastructure are third world...

So, then you understand that there are still people living in poverty, and that they need our help?
    It's great to see the beginnings of a long-awaited return to road-building on an acceptable scale, but surely the eradication of poverty in one of the most socially and economically developed countries in the world should come first?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So, then you understand that there are still people living in poverty, and that they need our help?
    It's great to see the beginnings of a long-awaited return to road-building on an acceptable scale, but surely the eradication of poverty in one of the most socially and economically developed countries in the world should come first?

Mod; Can we keep political possibilities for the politics forum, and stick to discussing the road construction possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Isambard wrote: »
    my guess is the Western arm will never be built. From Kileens to Glanmire is an extension of the M20 in effect and makes sense as most traffic heads across the river from the N20 anyway. The tunnel interchange would need to be rebuilt too before this could be put into effect, which probably means the Eastern arm won't get built in the short or medium term.

Western arm will get built eventually. Could be 15 years though. It will take a lot of pressure off the tunnel.

I would think that the full M20 M40 junction will get built. This was the proposed junction.

aywwo9.jpg

In addition, I think the next bit of the N40 west will be built as the next junction provides access to Apple.

• Advertisement

Western arm will get built eventually. Could be 15 years though. It will take a lot of pressure off the tunnel.

I would think that the full M20 M40 junction will get built. This was the proposed junction.

In addition, I think the next bit of the N40 west will be built as the next junction provides access to Apple.

Very unusual layout, with the third level bridge and traffic on the opposite sides on it... Was the projected weaving an issue or isn't there enough room to build regular 4-way cloveleaf?

grogi wrote: »

Very unusual layout, with the third level bridge and traffic on the opposite sides on it... Was the projected weaving an issue or isn't there enough room to build regular 4-way cloveleaf?

Where do you see the weaving? This is a partially unrolled cloverleaf which is designed to have less weaving than a cloverleaf.

Cloverleafs have entranced followed by exits which is what causes weaving. This junction doesn’t.

Where do you see the weaving? This is a partially unrolled cloverleaf which is designed to have less weaving than a cloverleaf.

Cloverleafs have entranced followed by exits which is what causes weaving. This junction doesn’t.

It's not there. That's why I asked if it would be an issue, so to mitigate more complex design was selected.

grogi wrote: »

It's not there. That's why I asked if it would be an issue, so to mitigate more complex design was selected.

Ah right. See what you mean. Cloverleafs as you say need a lot of space. This design IMO is suitable and will have a very high capacity. The land take isn’t huge either.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

No mention of M20 in the budget!

Limerick74 wrote: »

M20 would be mentioned in the expenditure announcement following the budget. This hasn't been announced yet

Donohue says there will be an increase in capital spending

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

M20 would be mentioned in the expenditure announcement following the budget. This hasn't been announced yet

They mentioned the fekcing Sallins bypass...jaysus.

Albeit in confunction with Oberstown...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

aywwo9.jpg

my point was that you can't build the M40 to Killeens before you rebuild the tunnel interchange, otherwise much of the M20 traffic will end up at an already congested junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Who makes the expenditure announcement? Does it come from Donohue today or is it from the Dept of Transport / TII in a few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Capital spending has been increased by €790 million for 2018, a very welcome and long overdue boost. No idea who's getting what though.

Advertisement