Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

marno21 wrote: »
    The day we've all been waiting for has finally come.. it's been a long barren few years but hopefully now it'll finally proceed when we have a Taoiseach in full support rather than a Taoiseach than complains that Cork people are getting too greedy.

The smell of Kenny and Noonan almost completely gone now and we can finally get on with this massive project. Hopefully it comes to fruition this time but we can at least see some progression now.

:D

Don't forget he was the same person who scrapped it in 2011.

An election is definitely coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

People need to stop being so pessimistic. Yes, he scrapped it in 2011. Remember the recession? What do you want, it to suddenly appear one sunny morning? This stuff has to happen (announcements, small money, taking years to do). Why not rejoice the good news and be hopeful for the future instead of moaning about the past (not directed at anyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

https://twitter.com/campaignforleo/status/918763120641929216

Here’s hoping the Taoiseach is true to his word! This needs to happen for the south to prosper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Delighted to hear this news today. Fingers crossed it stays on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Mods, isn't this a good time to update the title of this thread? Planning funding has been secured at long last! :^)

(And construction funding sounds like it's just around the corner!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mods, isn't this a good time to update the title of this thread? Planning funding has been secured at long last! :^)

Yep. I'll take care of it later because I'll be posting an updated scheme list in the other thread too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

irishfeen wrote: »

Here’s hoping the Taoiseach is true to his word! This needs to happen for the south to prosper.

Some Galway people on Twitter are actually moaning about this motorway going ahead.

Have they completely lost it?

That’s what FG said about the Events Centre. I’ll believe it when I see construction happening on the ground.

Some Galway people on Twitter are actually moaning about this motorway going ahead.

Yeah i seen it, from Galway upwards are moaning.

They must be on bloody drugs.

Anyone have pictures of the preferred M20 routes to hand to post?

Is the plan still to go to the east of Mallow town or is it up in the air now again?

• Advertisement

I don’t mind those complaining about Donegal infrastructure.

However, there are a few calling for the Galway bypass before this to be built. Are all road projects supposed to be exclusive to Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

I can't wait to get my drone and camera out for this project as its going to be epic tuam to cork in 2 hours when it's completed now your talking

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are currently 3 road projects in Donegal starting in Q4, and 5 in planning, 3 of which are dual carriageways.

In addition to that, the N4 DC in Sligo, 49km of the N2 being dualled (in planning) and the entire A5 through Nortern Ireland. And the A6 to Belfast being dualled at present

Donegal people can jog on.

m17 wrote: »
    I can't wait to get my drone and camera out for this project as its going to be epic tuam to cork in 2 hours when it's completed now your talking

Those things have been in the news lately, controversial little things as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    There are currently 3 road projects in Donegal starting in Q4, and 5 in planning, 3 of which are dual carriageways.

In addition to that, the N4 DC in Sligo, 49km of the N2 being dualled (in planning) and the entire A5 through Nortern Ireland. And the A6 to Belfast being dualled at present

Donegal people can jog on.

And I hate to be blunt but this a county that contributes nothing to the state, is a huge net beneficiary of state expenditure. It's a tad hard to listen to the continual poor us "up here" they seem to have hard wired from birth.
    Their basic message is everyone else has a motorway so should we.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

no more driving through boring depressing Buttervant yippee!! :)

fryup wrote: »

Ah you’ll have to go for the horse fair :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I see, some people don't want competition - well that's another very good reason to build the M20. Competition benefits all!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Maybe if they had better infrastructure, those figures might be different..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greysheep

Sounds like there is an election ahead!!

• Advertisement

So they have committed €20m to the project.

How much cost has previously been buried into it before it got scrapped and what further cost was there st the time to get it through planning? How much money was wasted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don’t mind those complaining about Donegal infrastructure.

However, there are a few calling for the Galway bypass before this to be built. Are all road projects supposed to be exclusive to Galway?

The Galway bypass is already years ahead of the the M20 and will probably be open before the M20 even gets to construction.

RTE saying it will be open by 2023. Did they’d mean 2033?

RTE saying it will be open by 2023. Did they’d mean 2033?
    I think they used the term "could" to be fair to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No way it'll be open by then. We are nearly in 2018 and it's still just on the discussion table. I'd say at least 2025 and that's assuming it'll be funded fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,285 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

fryup wrote: »

*From mud 2020s onwards, assuming it gets full funding.

The original M20 scheme, which started back in the day, took about 18 months to get to An Bord Pleanala from scratch. If this is applied here, we could see the scheme ready to submit for planning in the second half of 2019. Then, assuming planning is granted without objection, we could see the scheme starting in late 2020 with a late 2023 opening.

This is a "best case scenario". However, so far the scheme has been given free rein to continue through planning; and Leo may want this on the ground asap as a vote winner given the media coverage of the announcement today. This is all over the news, Enda and Ringo's pet projects weren't. Only now are the politicians starting to wake up to how politically important this scheme is. Politicians locally can promise the sun moon and stars but most people are aware how fundamental the M20 is to the area and no action on the M20 is unforgivable.

The current activities are programmed until February 2018. TII will hopefully shortly issue a tender to appoint contractors to take this through Phases II, III, and IV of TII's Project Management Guidelines (route selection, design and EIS). Then it's ABP time. I would imagine if this is as important to Leo as he says it is that Finance will be under the scope of study on an ongoing basis.

It's easy to see after the Kenny reign how cynical we can be about infrastructure. A quick look at the Government Capital Spending thread shows how much has changed since Varadkar has taken over and that's only in the space of a few months, most of which were spent on holidays. I may have blamed Varadkar for giving this the bullet in 2011 but it's easy to look back and see that most schemes, bar a few pet projects were cancelled. There seems to be a geniune attempt to get this done so fingers crossed.

At least we have something tangible to work with now. Roll on the thread and the eagerly awaited updates!!

So these are the proposed route options for the M20 - Any idea what was the preferred route a few years back?

[All image rights to the OSI, for information purposes only]

qx9szn.jpg
    2ccnnub.jpg
    20su980.jpg
    2lbcrv7.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

irishfeen wrote: »

Tweeted him there to ask when he's going to reveal the rest of the capital plan. No response yet.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Tweeted him there to ask when he's going to reveal the rest of the capital plan. No response yet.
    I think there is talk of sometime in November right?

Advertisement